PDA

View Full Version : wagon versus hatch rear suspension

sambb
10-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Anyone know if the Fabia wagon runs the same twist beam rear axle as the hatch?

Difinity
11-04-2014, 07:00 AM
No idea. The dealer said the only difference was the extra length. Seems to handle ok though.
Why do you ask?

Difinity

sambb
11-04-2014, 08:18 AM
I have a vw polo 9N3 that has the same twist beam rear axle as the Fabia hatch. I'm looking to run stiffer rear springs instead of taking the rear sway bar route, and was thinking that the wagon with its bigger load area would probably run uprated rears. I have no idea if the ride height would be low enough to suit my Gti though - Fabia vRS wagon maybe?

Is the Fabia vRS wagon lower than the standard Fabia wagon or does it just get nice wheels?

difinity: take a look under the rear of the car. If the two rear wheels are linked by one big solid continuous curved beam of steel then you have a twist beam rear end. If there is nothing that connects each side to the other ie. one wishbone per wheel, then you have IRS and I definitely can't make use of your springs.

brad
11-04-2014, 08:36 AM
What about Roomster Springs?

Best place to ask is over at BriSkoda

sambb
11-04-2014, 12:07 PM
I think I remember when reading Julian Edgars stuff on the roomster that it had the golf Mk4 rear axle but thanks yeah, I will check that out.

Difinity
12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
If you are trying to get the car to turn in faster (more twitchy, with oversteer), then stiffer springs.
If you want more control, and a sportier ride, I'd add or upgrade the roll bar.
Springs, shocks and a roll bar need to work together to improve handling. Talk to the Canberra VW centre (Unami nar?) on this list.

Difinity

sambb
12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
yeah its mostly the sharpen up the turn in - the steering is a bit heavy and dull in the polo 9N3 gti.... And to also shift the handling balance away from so much understeer. You have to try very hard even in the wet to get it to step out suddenly so I reckon I could get away with a rear spring rate increase without it getting dodgy .... hopefully!
Thanks for the ideas. I'll call VW and get them to cross reference the part numbers for polo 9N3, fabia and fabia wagon springs and see if there's any commonality.