PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with sun glare

Ryeman
09-04-2014, 06:06 PM
SWMBO is not tall enough in the saddle to get relief from low angle sun glare so we need an extension.
Amazon n eBay won't ship E-Prance type product to Oz.
Does anyone have a locally available similar product from a local distributor?
Thanks, Dave

BJ75
10-04-2014, 10:57 AM
SWMBO is not tall enough in the saddle to get relief from low angle sun glare so we need an extension.
Amazon n eBay won't ship E-Prance type product to Oz.
Does anyone have a locally available similar product from a local distributor?
Thanks, Dave
I don't know exactly what you're talking about (googling e-prance seems to bring up dash cams for me), but regardless of what it is, if you ever need something from the US from a company who won't (or can't) ship to Australia, use a mail-forwarding company. I use ComGateway all the time when buying stuff from Amazon US or eBay US other US dealers who have distribution contracts preventing them sending to Aus. About $25 shipping plus a small amount per kg on top of that. Bought a bike frame that costs $1800 here for $600 in the US. $200 shipping fee was based on volumetric weight rather than actual weight (i.e. big box). Bought an extra $500 worth of stuff you can't get shipped to Australia and filled the rest of the box with it for no extra charge.

Also Amazon UK (amazon.co.uk) usually ship most anything to Australia.

But if it's some kind of visor extension? I'm sure someone here will sell something.

Ryeman
10-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks for that, I'd prefer to buy it locally.
Maybe they think shipping cost would be excessive for such a relatively cheap product, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CardinalSin
10-04-2014, 12:27 PM
How about this one for $24.95 delivered on Ebay?
An even cheaper version below that, $7.70 delivered.

The sun visor is too small, it should be big enough to come down close to the horizon for all drivers.

Sunvisor Extension | eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Car-Shield-Cover-Auto-Sunshade-Goggles-CLIP-ON-day-night-Sun-Visor-EN24H-/141055050623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item20d789437f (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336618722&toolid=10001&mpre=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNVISOR-EXTENSION-/281300568526?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417ed209ce)

Hillbilly
10-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Thinking laterally why not raise the seat and pull it forward slightly

brad
10-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Thinking laterally why not raise the seat and pull it forward slightly

That's what i was thinking. Can't believe the number of people that don't realise their seat can go up & down 200mm (possibly not in this case).

Also some decent sunnies.

I do know of some tinters that will tint your windscreen with 5% - for off-road use only. Need to be careful of the water going down behind the dash.

The first link cardinalsin gives are about $12 delivered from AliExpress but hard plastic like that would breach ADRs as the sunvisor is supposed to be padded IIRC

Hillbilly
10-04-2014, 03:52 PM
That's what i was thinking. Can't believe the number of people that don't realise their seat can go up & down 200mm (possibly not in this case).

Also some decent sunnies.

I do know of some tinters that will tint your windscreen with 5% - for off-road use only. Need to be careful of the water going down behind the dash.

The first link cardinalsin gives are about $12 delivered from AliExpress but hard plastic like that would breach ADRs as the sunvisor is supposed to be padded IIRC

Alas windscreen tinting for on the road is illegal and a pain in the proverbial at night.

I have a 90mm sq patch for the HUD display and its a nuisance at night. Also find it a bit of a bother in the city as you tend to look around it a bit.

brad
10-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I've driven a 5% car. Don't mind it myself. Yes, totally illegal but so are a lot of other things people do with their vehicles / houses / etc.

Ryeman
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
We know the seat goes up and down alright but her legs don't reach in that case or she's too close to the wheel.

brad
10-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Steering wheel pushed all the way forward?

My wife is 162cm - she wears really good sunnies. They cost about 10x more than the ones I buy.

Just bulldog clip some carboard to the visor. That will look classy

Legion
11-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Make sure the inside of the screen is really clean. The inside will get dirty and cause the light to scatter making seeing through it difficult when the sun is low. Your thread reminded me mine needs a good clean.

wai
12-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I know your problem.

I am not short, but even with the seat in the highest position (then causes problems with pressure under the thighs), there is still a significant gap under the sun visor of my Caddy Maxi Life.

My problem is that I have almost no pigment in my retina (apart from a "freckle" on one) and so am very sensitive to bright lights. Tinted visors are of no use, as the sunlight gets through.

Most visor extensions extend the length of the visor and not the depth of it (which is needed).

My brother had a Honda CR-V that had a section that could be pulled out the bottom edge of the visor. It may have to be a case of getting one and fitting it. If you get a clip on one that is tinted, you can spray it with matt black paint before attaching it to the visor. Unfortunately they don't like the sun that much and the plastic becomes brittle too soon.

Ryeman
13-04-2014, 09:05 AM
I know your problem.

I am not short, but even with the seat in the highest position (then causes problems with pressure under the thighs), there is still a significant gap under the sun visor of my Caddy Maxi Life.

My problem is that I have almost no pigment in my retina (apart from a "freckle" on one) and so am very sensitive to bright lights. Tinted visors are of no use, as the sunlight gets through.

Most visor extensions extend the length of the visor and not the depth of it (which is needed).

My brother had a Honda CR-V that had a section that could be pulled out the bottom edge of the visor. It may have to be a case of getting one and fitting it. If you get a clip on one that is tinted, you can spray it with matt black paint before attaching it to the visor. Unfortunately they don't like the sun that much and the plastic becomes brittle too soon.

Steering wheel pushed all the way forward?

My wife is 162cm - she wears really good sunnies. They cost about 10x more than the ones I buy.

Just bulldog clip some carboard to the visor. That will look classy

Bulldog clips!
i don't want too much 'bling' hahaha.:lollipop:

wai
13-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Bulldog clips!
i don't want too much 'bling' hahaha.:lollipop:

You do need to be careful where and how you use them as the sun visor is part of an ADR, and you do not want metal clips coming loose in an accident.

CardinalSin
13-04-2014, 12:06 PM
You do need to be careful where and how you use them as the sun visor is part of an ADR, and you do not want metal clips coming loose in an accident.

Prevention of accidents is the priority and driving into the sun virtually blind is a good way to have one.
The shallow sun visor is a major safety hazard that needs to be addressed and a temporary fix is better than the alternative. The ideal solution would be for Skoda to supply modified visors that are ADR compliant.

I thought the white visor extension I posted was a reasonable fix.

brad
13-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Is part 1A what you are after? I can't quite understand how it works.

SKODA YETI [YET] (EUROPE) 2010: BODY: 85750. SUN VIZORS; GRAB HANDLE (http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/yeti-yet-eu-2010-85750-sun-vizors-grab-handle/)

Rob1959
16-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Get a Sun Zapper (Autobarn) . Old tech, clips onto sunvisor.
Rob.

wai
16-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Get a Sun Zapper (Autobarn) . Old tech, clips onto sunvisor.
Rob.

I had a Sun Zapper, but it made little difference for me. I had to spray paint it matt black and that worked. Unfortunately, the plastic is not very UV stable and it was only a year or so before the clip became brittle and the unit fell off the visor.

Ryeman
17-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking of simply cardboard and 2 'lacka' bands.
I'd love to get hold of the E-Prance 2 but Oz is too far for some reason as far as eBay n Amazon are concerned.
The standard issue are simply dangerously small and incapable of doing this simple job for average size people IMO.
If you swing them side-on they're too short also.
You've go the glass area of a Disco with the visor from a Polo.......not good enough!

brad
18-04-2014, 05:15 PM
What do you call "average size"? I'm 167cm (5'6") and fall well under the median height for Australia.

Rob1959
19-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I had a Sun Zapper, but it made little difference for me. I had to spray paint it matt black and that worked. Unfortunately, the plastic is not very UV stable and it was only a year or so before the clip became brittle and the unit fell off the visor.
That's unfortunate, you obviously got a dud.
We have them in 2 cars and they are fine after nearly 2 years. They are cheap and can be a solution for some people I'm sure.
Cheers, Rob.

bluey
22-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that, I'd prefer to buy it locally.

I'm over buying locally - poor products, poor range, poor organisation, poor service.

Tried to buy a wiper arm remover locally. Took about 4 months and multiple trips to the tool shop - waiting, forgot to order, computer changed the part number, eventually got it. Would have cost $12 more to buy from interstate online, but would have got it in a week.

Tried to buy a welder accessory from local BOC. (German manufacturer said I had to get it from local dealer.) Have gotten other bits online (ex USA or Canda) for less than local price landed within 2 wks. National manager said it would take 2-3 weeks. Well that also took 4 months from BOC stock in NZ and I had to whinge to get it for the original quoted price (ordered before dollar dropped more).

Just been looking to replace a locally sourced date stamp - Chinese rubbish from Officeworks ink pad died after a couple of years. Original Trodat German 20 years old and fully functional but dates out of date. Getting a new one free ship ex-UK for $8. Locals quoting online $12+shipping.

Looking for dishwasher rack wheels a few years ago. Local price $12each x8=$96!. Ex-UK landed IIRC <$30 for the full set of 8.

Ryeman
22-04-2014, 08:24 AM
We have a greater choice of vehicles than the US but few sell in sustainable numbers to support a reliable spare parts network and thus cars are quickly becoming disposable white goods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluey
22-04-2014, 09:41 AM
hard plastic like that would breach ADRs as the sunvisor is supposed to be padded IIRC

So probably the cheapest most effective, ADR compliant solution is to have little sunvisors on the sunnies. A bit of PVC tape across the top would do! Or get the flip-down sunnie attachments and chop them a bit shorter and make them opaque.