PDA

View Full Version : Lengthy delivery times

dmm_au
22-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I've been sourcing a quote on a new Touareg TDv6.
I'm being told it might be delivered late Feb, but don't expect it until March.

It's a bit off putting certainly not the buying experience I'd hoped for. Makes me wonder if it's that difficult for VW to stock cars, whether it's going to be difficult to get parts?

Flipper Dog
22-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Feb or March is not too bad, I had ordered in Nov and got it in very late May. The vehicle prior to that was a Passat and that was a five month wait. Even the wife’s old Polo took 6 weeks for a stock standard model.

Remember that these vehicles are imported from Germany, well Czech but that was Germany until 1945, not from South Oz or Victoria and if you want any additional options (and why not individualise it if you have the ability) than this has to be a factory order. You could see what the dealers have but the V6 TDI is a very keen seller and does not stay in the yards too long.

Getting parts are not a problem especially with web based shopping it is just the price VW sells them for in Australia.

I was at a dealer on Friday and they had just sold a R5 and V6 TDI with '06 plates (the pre face ones) for a discounted price. The new owners were arriving that afternoon. The saleman said that that was the last that dealership had left and were fighting VW for new stock.

Flipper Dog

VW Convert
23-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I've been sourcing a quote on a new Touareg TDv6.
I'm being told it might be delivered late Feb, but don't expect it until March.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence on this site and it has been my own experience that VW stated delivery times are quite flexible. It could be said VW dealers break new ground with the definition of flexibility!

In my case the car that was allocated simply disappeared off the face of the earth (or so they expected me to believe). The only consolation is that the product is so good, the wait is well worth it.

Never trust the delivery date they give you j:

Cheers

George

Treg2
23-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I've had a V6 TDi on order since the 28th June and I am taking delivery on Thursday 25th. That makes it almost exactly 4 months wait.

Volkswagen did have a delivery of Touaregs on the 12th of October I would have thought that there would have been a quantity of vehicals for dealer stock arrive in that shipment, I would check back with your dealer.

Treg2

dmm_au
23-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, but I want to order the rear tyre carrier, which being such a unique option, makes it a factory order. It's good that VW recognised that some form of spare was required, but it seems very strange that having recognised that they haven't made provision to import a percentage of cars equipped this way.

Moonan
23-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes, but I want to order the rear tyre carrier, which being such a unique option, makes it a factory order. It's good that VW recognised that some form of spare was required, but it seems very strange that having recognised that they haven't made provision to import a percentage of cars equipped this way. The sad reality is that most Touaregs sold go into upmarket suburbs of Sydney and are never taken out of the big city. So the percentage that come to Australia with spare carrier is rather miniscule. Mine was factory order too. In July 2005 mine was only number 18 in Oz with spare carrier. It has been definitely worth the wait!

cheers

Flipper Dog
23-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I too was looking at a rear tyre carrier but once seeing it last year at the Sydney motor show the swing out was too restrictive for my parking requirements. ;)

Being a Monday to Friday tarmac tractor I looked at if I would really need the mounted spare. So I went the idea of purchasing a spare and placing in on the roof in a carrier basket for when I do need it.
A bit of mucking around but like other 4WDing gear I can throw it on/in when I really do need it. This cost me about $700 for the racks and carrier for the roof and I guess $450 for wheel and tyre. Room also for a jerry or two and another wheel but got to watch the load limit.

In the ideal world Volkswagen would supply a rear carrier as standard to markets like Australia and the space saver well would accept a full size spare but you must thank Volkswagen that they are not supplying run flats tyres.:rolleyes:

Flipper Dog
V6 TDI with not much after market gear...yet!

Transporter
23-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I too was looking at a rear tyre carrier but once seeing it last year at the Sydney motor show the swing out was too restrictive for my parking requirements. ;)

Being a Monday to Friday tarmac tractor I looked at if I would really need the mounted spare. So I went the idea of purchasing a spare and placing in on the roof in a carrier basket for when I do need it.
A bit of mucking around but like other 4WDing gear I can throw in on/in when I really do need it. This cost me about $700 for the racks and carrier for the roof and I guess $450 for wheel and tyre. Room also for a jerry or two and another wheel but got to watch the load limit.

In the ideal world Volkswagen would supply a rear carrier as standard to markets like Australia and the space saver well would accept a full size spare but you must thank Volkswagen that they are not supplying run flats tyres.:rolleyes:

Flipper Dog
V6 TDI with not much after market gear...yet!

Hi Flipper Dog,

Our Treg will come also without spare wheel carrier, so I will get a roof rack and so on. Let me ask you where did you get your extra wheel from?

Treg2
24-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi MRL T5,

FlipperDog got his spare rim for me. I still have two rims available, PM me for details.

Treg2

Flipper Dog
24-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Hello MRL T5,
as Treg2 stated I was able to purchase one off him. PM him as the wheels are genuine Volkswagen, in very good condition (almost brand new) and at a much lower price than VW spare parts can supply.

If you miss out on Treg2’s wheel Ebay has some every now and then (example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VOLKSWAGEN-TOUAREG-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ220160649871QQihZ012QQcategoryZ724 54QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) that you could get. If all that fails then the dealers would happily order some in for you at $500 plus each.

Just watch what brand of tyre is fitted to your vehicle once it arrives as some types are not available in Australia yet.
(See my post http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/updated-tyres-facelift-15940.html ). Should have an answer within the next few weeks on this one. In the short term I found a 2nd hand 255/60 R17 tyre at a local tyre shop with tread to last as a spare.

Flipper Dog
V6 TDI '07

Transporter
24-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Feb or March is not too bad, I had ordered in Nov and got it in very late May. The vehicle prior to that was a Passat and that was a five month wait. Even the wife’s old Polo took 6 weeks for a stock standard model.

Remember that these vehicles are imported from Germany, well Czech but that was Germany until 1945, not from South Oz or Victoria and if you want any additional options (and why not individualise it if you have the ability) than this has to be a factory order. You could see what the dealers have but the V6 TDI is a very keen seller and does not stay in the yards too long.

Getting parts are not a problem especially with web based shopping it is just the price VW sells them for in Australia.

I was at a dealer on Friday and they had just sold a R5 and V6 TDI with '06 plates (the pre face ones) for a discounted price. The new owners were arriving that afternoon. The saleman said that that was the last that dealership had left and were fighting VW for new stock.

Flipper Dog

Czhech was never Germany, Germans ocupied Czhechoslovakia during the WW2. It is the same like you would say that Renault and Peugeot is German car, since it was Germany untill 1945.
Skoda factory where the Touareg is manufactured is actualy in Bratislava(capital city of Slovakia-not Slovenia or Jugoslavia as some people confuse), Which is interesting fact for me, that Touareg has a plate under the bonnet "Made in Czhech Republic". I know that the quality of the car made in Czech republic (?) to day will be very good since they have 40 years longer history in making cars than VW and labour force in Czechs is very skillful. (I'm not saying that car made in Germany is worst quality.) Yes VW bought Skoda which is older than VW. Skoda car company was held back in development by comunist Russia from 1968 to 1990 and couldn't produce engine bigger than 1300cc. The museum of Skoda is full of nice prototypes which never riched production. Skoda is 100% own by VW. We will see how long they keep Skoda badge on Skoda cars.

Transporter
24-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Hello MRL T5,
as Treg2 stated I was able to purchase one off him. PM him as the wheels are genuine Volkswagen, in very good condition (almost brand new) and at a much lower price than VW spare parts can supply.

If you miss out on Treg2’s wheel Ebay has some every now and then (example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VOLKSWAGEN-TOUAREG-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ220160649871QQihZ012QQcategoryZ724 54QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) that you could get. If all that fails then the dealers would happily order some in for you at $500 plus each.

Just watch what brand of tyre is fitted to your vehicle once it arrives as some types are not available in Australia yet.
(See my post http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/updated-tyres-facelift-15940.html ). Should have an answer within the next few weeks on this one. In the short term I found a 2nd hand 255/60 R17 tyre at a local tyre shop with tread to last as a spare.

Flipper Dog
V6 TDI '07

I know second hand tyre is always worry. You may end up needing 2 of them.
It is difficult choice to make to buy a new one if you can't rotate it.

Flipper Dog
24-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Check was never Germany, Germans ocupied Czhechoslovakia during the WW2. It is the same like you would say that Renault and Peugeot is German car, since it was Germany untill 1945.
Skoda factory where the Touareg is manufactured is actualy in Bratislava(capital city of Slovakia-not Slovenia or Jugoslavia as some people confuse), Which is interesting fact for me, that Touareg has a plate under the bonnet "Made in Czhech Republic". I know that the quality of the car made in Czech republic (?) to day will be very good since they have 40 years longer history in making cars than VW and labour force in Czechs is very skillful. (I'm not saying that car made in Germany is worst quality.) Yes VW bought Skoda which is older than VW. Skoda car company was held back in development by comunist Russia from 1968 to 1990 and couldn't produce engine bigger than 1300cc. The museum of Skoda is full of nice prototypes which never riched production. Skoda is 100% own by VW. We will see how long they keep Skoda badge on Skoda cars.

poděkování tebe jako ta historická hra dále Škoda j:

Flipper Dog
24-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I know second hand tyre is always worry. You may end up needing 2 of them.
It is difficult choice to make to buy a new one if you can't rotate it.

Totally agree with you but until I can obtain a like spare the Goodyear is better to throw on until I can fix the damaged tyre. At lease I can travel a 100km or so home without the worry of a "space saver":)

Flipper Dog

Transporter
24-10-2007, 07:00 PM
poděkování tebe jako ta historická hra dále Škoda j:

Yes, I come from Czech republic. I came to Australia in 1992.
The words above don't make any sence at all :?. You probably picked them up from 3 different pages. j:
I will try to source accessories for our Treg from Czech rep. There are some Treg forums.

dmm_au
24-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Interesting that you vehicle has a plate claiming to be made in the czech republic. I was pretty certain they were made or assembled in Bratislava, which is in Slovakia.

Don't want to get into a debate about the boarders of Czech and Slovkia. I was in Slovkia a few years back and found the locals don't seem to feel strongly that there should be a difference.

I do recall that the old city in Prague has very German architecture :)

barefoot
24-10-2007, 10:15 PM
We will see how long they keep Skoda badge on Skoda cars.

Personally, I think Skoda as a brand has less 'issues' than VW....which some people associate with:

dak dak herbies;
hippy generation;
a bonnet that resemble a female organ;
hitler's revenge (my own dad joke about this);

It's only recently that VW has re-invented itself as an aspirational brand...

Having said above I don't know much about skoda cars except that there used to be lots of them in New Zealand.
cheers

Transporter
25-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Interesting that you vehicle has a plate claiming to be made in the czech republic. I was pretty certain they were made or assembled in Bratislava, which is in Slovakia.

Don't want to get into a debate about the boarders of Czech and Slovkia. I was in Slovkia a few years back and found the locals don't seem to feel strongly that there should be a difference.

I do recall that the old city in Prague has very German architecture :)

Here is why.
Karel IV is called father of fatherland in Czech republic. He was a son of Jan Luxemburg (he died in battle between England and France 1346). It is our most famous king. He was not only czech king, but he becomes also Romanium emperor. He makes from Prague the capital city not only of Czech republic but all central europe. He settled our first university ( 1348 ) in Prague, it was 3. university in the Europe (oldest are only Cambrige university and Sorbona in Paris). It were "Czech gold times".
http://www.iie.tpu.ru/student/Czech/CzechRep/History.html

It is not my Treg in the picture of Treg with skid plate I posted. It is from czech Treg owners site. Our Treg is coming in december - I hope. I saw the plate under the bonet at Solitaire Automotive in Adelaide and it was saying made in czech republic which supprised me as well.

dmm_au
29-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Good luck with your December delivery.
I've just placed an order for a new TD V6 with an expected delivery dated of 1/3/2008.

Transporter
29-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Good luck with your December delivery.
I've just placed an order for a new TD V6 with an expected delivery dated of 1/3/2008.

Thanks mate,
I placed order a months ago and i didn't want any options. I took what they had comming with some options already on it like sunroof ( that would be last on my options list ), memory package and tow bar.
Expectig it 20/12/07.

barefoot
29-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I think memory pack is one of those things you think isn't worth the money unless you DON'T have it. I certain wish I had it.....

I adjust the seat mirrors etc.....it takes 'months' before I get it exactly like how I like it, (due to the high mileage I do) about one week after I get it JUST right,

**I'm talking I drive to work in the morning thinking this is puuuuurfect, and I drive home at night thinking cuuuumfy**

Yep JUST one week after puuurfection I have to book it in for a service, and the techy that test drive it is always taller or shorter than me, his lumbar and mirror prefs also different! This has occured every time thus far!!!!!

Then again I'm probably more pedantic than the average individual without the money to show for it, e.g. I hate the space saver spare, I'd love to have air suspension etc....but can't afford the options.
cheers

geoff7
30-10-2007, 08:50 PM
If you are like me and impatient just take the nearest one that meets your mark..

If you get choosy there is a wait but this is an advantage to the ML and X5 where you can get any combination off the shelf... great now but in 4 years when they all hit the market don't count on much value..

Transporter
30-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah,
More features are standard in Treg than ML
and you also get better off road capability in a standard equipment without paying $9,000 extra for ML.