PDA

View Full Version : CC tyre wear

lgc67
01-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi all ,

I am considering purchasing from a dealer a 2011 Diesel CC Passat with approx 25k . Going through through paperwork I see that it needed 2 tyres replaced at around 24k ! The new tyres are on the front and the rears are a bit shabby as well!

Do these things gave a habit of chewing out tyres ?

I have a current shape accord euro and it didn't need tyres till 60k.

How does the auto stand up in the CC?

Any particular issues to be aware of when buying a CC ?

Thanks for any tips and guidance

Jath
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Depends on the tyre & driving style. But if they are a soft tire then yes.
The original continentals lasted about 30-35K, the cheap end Bridgestones about 45ish (but loud), Goodyear GTs (very quiet, lovely handling)...17K was very annoyed, hell of a shock to find them unroadworthy esp after a rotation at the 10K mark.

I do allot of stop start driving in peak hour, currently have the higher end Bridgestones (on special for $691) which are working fine, not the GT ones but the Potenza (far better then the el cheapos I had previously).

Currently at 110K, have had the crack in the boot glass fixed, a flat battery and a bluetooth sorted. Flat battery fried a mirror. Thats about it really, oh a leak in the waterpump at the 100km service. 125Tdi

team_v
01-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Depends on the tyre & driving style. But if they are a soft tire then yes.

This!
also make sure the tyres are pumped up to 1-2 PSI above the tyre placard average to give it less wear.

Eaglen00b
01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
This!
also make sure the tyres are pumped up to 1-2 PSI above the tyre placard average to give it less wear.

If I may add to the above, I'd also suggest that if you've driven a significant distance to get to the air compressor at a servo, you'll need to account for the higher pressure in the tyres.

My general rule of thumb is to allow 3 PSI between cold and warmed tyres, and I assume the tyre placard lists COLD tyre pressures.

So if the tyre placard recommends 35 PSI for example, if your tyres are warmed up, you'd be aiming for around 38 + 1 or 2 PSI at the servo.

Note : driving 1 - 2km to a servo in stop start traffic does not warm up your tyres! :)

If you really want to be anal about it, take ambient temperatures into account as well as day-night temperature differentials.

Jath
01-04-2014, 12:11 PM
To round it out, even if I burnt a set of tires year on year, wouldn't phase me.
I have owned this car for 4 years now and was looking around to replace it; however, test drove a few others and kept coming back to preferring the CC.

Next car will be another CC, but only if the current one dies a hideous death.

passat123
01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I also got my 125TDI from the dealer with 10,500km on it. They 'kindly' wore in the front tyres to the markers, rears almost looked new..

They came with the standard Continental CSC3. I put the rears on the front at 11,000 and they are not even close to the markers, the (originally rear-now front) tyres have done 20,000km.

The TDI are pretty easy to wheel spin compared to the Accord Euro. If you be a bit gentle when taking off there is no issue..

brad
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
TDI has a lot more torque than a Euro. If you use it unwisely then the front tyres will die.

Pressures should be at least 36psi/2.48bar/248kPa.

Tyres should be x-rotated (if not directional) every 10,000 - 15,000km. When fitting just 2 new tyres, they should go on the rear & put the most worn tyres on the front.

Mileage depends on the right foot. There are plenty of folk on this forum that have easily achieved 70-100k from a set of tyres.

Vexed
02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi all ,

I am considering purchasing from a dealer a 2011 Diesel CC Passat with approx 25k . Going through through paperwork I see that it needed 2 tyres replaced at around 24k ! The new tyres are on the front and the rears are a bit shabby as well!

Do these things gave a habit of chewing out tyres ?

I have a current shape accord euro and it didn't need tyres till 60k.

How does the auto stand up in the CC?

Any particular issues to be aware of when buying a CC ?

Thanks for any tips and guidance

I recommend going with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus, Amazing grip, very quiet and comfy. I have done 20000 KM on them so far. plenty of tread left. In the US and Canada they have 50,000 mile guarantee or something like that.
They are very reasonably priced, I got 4 for $1,000 fitted. They are also made in the US. I have got the Lugano 19" rims, I usually inflate the tyres to 40 PSI.
Good luck :)

lgc67
04-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Thank you all for the input.

So there is not history of CC s chewing tyres as a recognized problem , it just depends on the type of tyres you start with and how you treat them .

Vexed , 40 psi sound a lot ,it doesn't make for a harsh ride ?

Are there any recognized or common problems with the CC that I need to be aware of?

Did the CC have DSG issues like some other VW product ?

Hillbilly
04-04-2014, 08:29 AM

So there is not history of CC s chewing tyres as a recognized problem , it just depends on the type of tyres you start with and how you treat them .

Are there any recognized or common problems with the CC that I need to be aware of?

Did the CC have DSG issues like some other VW a?

Diesel has the 6 spd wet clutch and is a lot more reliable than the 7spd dry clutch which has been the problem child.

I run my tyres at 40 and have got used to them after they were only at 34. a little bit harsher but definitely not uncomfortable. After a couple of weeks don't even notice it.

Eaglen00b
04-04-2014, 11:21 AM

Ridewise you'll probably notice that its a little firmer at 40PSI, but probably not uncomfortably so. Also depends whether you've got the standard 18" rims or factory option 19", or aftermarket rims? Bigger rims = less rubber on the road = less "cushioning" = harsher ride.

The only issue (if you call it that) I've had with the CC is the people coming up to you asking questions about it, or people gawking and obviously talking about it when you use park assist to get into a bay simply because you can't be ar$ed doing it yourself. Then they come up to you and ask questions about the car.

Vexed
04-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Honestly I don't feel between the difference between 37 or 40 psi. The ride is comfortable and I really enjoy it. Never had any issues with the car, it has been very reliable.... I just regret not getting the Dynaudio package on it.
One of my mates has a 2009 tdi, he had issues with the gearbox where shifting to reverse won't do anything...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Vexed
04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Ridewise you'll probably notice that its a little firmer at 40PSI, but probably not uncomfortably so. Also depends whether you've got the standard 18" rims or factory option 19", or aftermarket rims? Bigger rims = less rubber on the road = less "cushioning" = harsher ride.

The only issue (if you call it that) I've had with the CC is the people coming up to you asking questions about it, or people gawking and obviously talking about it when you use park assist to get into a bay simply because you can't be ar$ed doing it yourself. Then they come up to you and ask questions about the car.

Yeah that's true, it is an eye catcher... I have received compliments many many times :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk