PDA

View Full Version : Are the latest 118TSI and 7 Speed DSG's still crap?

mrSim
29-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi all

I'm now looking for a new Jetta since its a bit frustrating looking for a 2nd hand Jetta. Frustrating because there's hardly any 125TDI models (since all others have either the 118TSI or 7sp DSG which i've been to told to avoid at all costs)

So can someone please advise if they have fixed the problem in the new models? Or are the 118TSI engines AND/OR or the 7sp DSG's still crap?

Thanks

The One
29-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Hi all

I'm now looking for a new Jetta since its a bit frustrating looking for a 2nd hand Jetta. Frustrating because there's hardly any 125TDI models (since all others have either the 118TSI or 7sp DSG which i've been to told to avoid at all costs)

So can someone please advise if they have fixed the problem in the new models? Or are the 118TSI engines AND/OR or the 7sp DSG's still crap?

Thanks

118TSI was NEVER CRAP. People put the wrong fuel in, seen it all, ethonol, 91.... and if they do put premium, they put from fuel stations like Freedom, united etc. Seen a 118TSI get destroyed because owner put in '98 RON' from Freedom fuel station, the fuel sample taken from the car was ORANGE and smelt like sunflower seeds, WHAT THE ****?

7 speed DSG has been fixed as part of a recall, so no troubles there.

Aslong as you service 118 correctly (VW approved oil, not the cheap **** ultratune etc put it), and use the correct fuel then you will not have a problem. Anyone that says the 118TSI is a crap engine is just having a whine because they cheaped out on one thing or another (servicing, fuel) and now constantly whinge because their engine carked it. In Europe the 118TSI is a faultless motor, go figure, higher quality fuel and oils.

/RANT OVER.

mrSim
29-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Have a read of the comments on this article...

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/volkswagen_golf_118tsi_warning

261 comments. Most of them horror stories and of engine/transmission replacement under 60,000Km. Some have had 3 replacements. These aren't just whingers.

You mean to say the owner must always use the "perfect" fuel from a perfect fuel station all the time? and also take it ONLY to VW for servicing (who must have the "secret" ingredient to prevent these problems). And if I don't do all those things, chances are the car will suffer a catastrophic failure to the 2 major components (engine and transmission)??

really??!! If a car is this sensitive, then yes it is CRAP in my book. I don't see all other car manufacturers having as much problems, and i'm sure they'd have the same customers putting in the wrong type of fuel all the time.

Sad part is i'm actually a VW fanboy, but i'll say it now....

Volkswagen have royally f@#$d up on this one.

The One
30-03-2014, 01:43 AM

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/volkswagen_golf_118tsi_warning

261 comments. Most of them horror stories and of engine/transmission replacement under 60,000Km. Some have had 3 replacements. These aren't just whingers.

You mean to say the owner must always use the "perfect" fuel from a perfect fuel station all the time? and also take it ONLY to VW for servicing (who must have the "secret" ingredient to prevent these problems). And if I don't do all those things, chances are the car will suffer a catastrophic failure to the 2 major components (engine and transmission)??

really??!! If a car is this sensitive, then yes it is CRAP in my book. I don't see all other car manufacturers having as much problems, and i'm sure they'd have the same customers putting in the wrong type of fuel all the time.

VW didn't **** up, it's due to our fuel quality and oil quality here in AUS. Hence why they cut off this engine in the Golf for the AUS market due to this reason. In the CAVD no-one will ever win with the utter **** fuel quality we have. Blame the fuel companies, as opposed to VW.

Transporter
30-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Volkswagen Golf 118TSI warning | carsguide.com.au (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/volkswagen_golf_118tsi_warning)

If it's so bad, why do you own it and drive it? If other cars don't have this problems, why would you choose to be a VW fanboy (your words)?

"The 261 comments", it's not that bad, because the internet is a global thing. I can say safely it's 261 comments from almost the whole world. Some disappointed car owners also more than double their posts, posting in a different media and they will go on about it for a several months complaining at a different places in the cyberspace, including the Fairfax and others.

There are already threads with the similar topic, so please choose one and post your question there.
This thread is now closed, and I'm sorry, if that inconvenience you. :)