PDA

View Full Version : 1998 6N Flywheel problem

Polochick
22-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi there,

I've had my clutch & pressure plate replaced and the flywheel machined. Since then, gears grate and the cable adjustment doesn't help. After repeated unsuccessful attempt by the repairer (U*******e) to fix the the problem, my hubby spat the dummy and removed the g'box. We were told by a VW mechanic that the flywheel (single piece one) has two faces, one for the pressure plate to mount on, and a recessed face for the clutch plate, but he did not know what the recess measurement was. We've tried unsuccessfully to obtain this spec from (a) the repairer, (b) both VW agents in Brisbane and (c) VW Australia. Nobody cares!!!!

I'm told the specification is 13.4 mm, I have 0.5 mm i.e almost flat across the clutch side of the flywheel. However the machinist still maintains that the flywheel was machined "to spec", but the clutch won't release and the gears grate.

Anybody? I'm desperate to get this car back on the road, it's done less than 100 km since last August when the repair was done.

Pic of the problem attached

jets
22-03-2014, 10:12 AM
We've tried unsuccessfully to obtain this spec from (a) the repairer, (b) both VW agents in Brisbane and (c) VW Australia. Nobody cares!!!!

I understand your frustration, but they probably don't have the info you are asking for. Many years ago I owned a Porsche 356 & that measurement was shown in the workshop manual. These days if something is worn you buy a new one. If you don't want to spend the money, try the wreckers for a good S/H one. They may even let you take the measurement you need.
I have replaced the clutch on our 6N2 but fortunately the flywheel was good. The reason for mine not releasing correctly was the thrust bearing was catching on the guide tube that was worn & the fingers of the pressure plate were not all at an even height.
The other thing you should check is the pedal box that sometimes breaks.

pontiff
22-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I have a motor on a stand that has the flywheel attached still.. Happy to provide any measurements u want but I won't be back in Melbourne until Tuesday (in Perth providing IT support for their caravan and camping show). When the engine was in the car it was running just fine so whatever it's measurement was, it was fine...

pontiff
22-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Actually.. I have 2 engines I can check, can do both...

Umai Naa!!
22-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I would also recommend looking at the clutch pedal.

Could be something silly like the pushrod not being connected to the pedal anymore. You can push the pedal, but all you're doing is bending the pushrod, which usually gives you a normal feeling at the pedal.

Jmac
22-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Clutch not clearing enough, not sure whats going on there , never had a problem with the 085 gearbox. For the flywheel to be the issue the guy machining it must have taken way too much meat off it. There is a few wreckin around the traps, would probably look at grabbing one of them or from Pontiff on here and start again. There is no pushrod at the pedal and there isn't a flat fork like the 02J that cracks, the release fork on theses are pretty robust
Jmac

Polochick
22-03-2014, 01:26 PM
We've checked all the other variables, they seem to be OK. The new pressure plate & clutch are the correct items, clutch cable is OK & working correctly. It's narrowed down to the flywheel spec it seems.

Pontiff, if you could check one of you flywheels that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Polochick
26-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Pontiff, While you're about it, can you also measure the height of the flywheel, i.e. the distance between the pressure plate face and the ring gear. Maybe my flywheel has been machined too far??
cheers
Polochick

pontiff
30-03-2014, 08:23 PM
I have taken a pic, will upload but I Would say it is less than a mm. I am not sure what you mean about the ring gear so I will take some random pics for u. This flywheel came from a car that was running fine except for the munched gearbox. It would engage the gears it did have left just fine :)

pontiff
31-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Golf Loon
09-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Check the pedal box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmac
10-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Happened more with the 6n2 bro , but yeah worth a check, they do crack . Not sure how it wen though hey its gone quiet, Too quiet. ;)