PDA

View Full Version : Which Jetta? 2011 118TSI or the older 2010 77 TDI

mrSim
18-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Hi All

I was looking at getting a 2011 1B Jetta 118TSI. However after reading so many issues they've had with the 118TSI model, I am now looking at getting the older 2010 1KM 77 TDI (diesel). Both models are within my price range (under $16K)

With all you gurus out there, I would love to hear some opinions. Although I prefer the look of the 2011 and extra features, I would much rather a reliable car. Does this sound like the smart move to go for the "older" 2010 Jetta?

thanks
Dennis

mrSim
18-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Can I also add, the problems people are having with the 118TSI and DSG, I'm assuming this is not a problem for the diesel models?

Lucas_R
18-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Avoid the 118TSI (1.4L twincharged engine) at all costs (and the 7 speed DSG that goes with it). Problem after problem with that engine and gearbox combination.

If you go for the older model, then you want the 2.0FSI (147kw) model or the 103TDI. The 77TDI will be gutless and it has the unreliable 7 speed DSG gearbox too.

The 103kw diesel is a good engine and also uses a much more reliable 6 speed DSG. Its a MUCH safer bet than the 118TSI. Just make sure you do the right kind of driving if you are considering a diesel....they need long trips where the engine can be at operating temp. Longer trips and freeway trips are ideal. Short drives and stop/start traffic will give you issues and poor fuel consumption.

The 2.0FSI is also a great engine (same engine as the GTI). You can get one of these with 60,000km for around $18k and they are well equipped. These also come with the much more reliable 6 speed DSG.

Rawcpoppa
18-03-2014, 10:29 PM
That diesel probably comes with the same dsg as well...If both come with dq200 dsg make sure they were checked for recall.

brad
19-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Within your price range:

2008-2010 Skoda Octavia. The sedan is actually a hatch. There's a wagon as well. I cross-shopped Jetta & Octavia & finished up with the latter.

The 118tsi is a 1.8litre single turbo that doesn't have reliability issues although the Auto is DSG7 so if you can drive a manual the 6 speed is a joy.

The 103tdi diesel is hooked up to a conventional auto -no DSG issues.

For around $16k you'll get an auto 2010 1.8tsi or 1.9tdi with around 50,000km with lots of fruit. For the same money you'll also get a 125tdi RS DSG6 (the good one) with 150,000km & plenty of trouble free miles left in it.

It's worth having a look

Lucas_R
19-03-2014, 09:10 AM
^ good point. The Octavia's are a very good option too.

Just to confuse you, the 118TSI in the Skoda range is a different engine to the 118TSI in the VW range (1.8L turbo vs 1.4L twincharge). In the case of the Skoda's, the 118TSI (1.8L turbo) is a great engine.

mrSim
20-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies! very helpful

However its not the news I was hoping for. So stay away from the 77TDI because it has the 7speed DSG?

now its getting difficult because there was plenty of 77TDI's for sale. The models over that like the 103TDI (6 speed) is quite rare.

It's too bad coz I've currently got an old golf (which is awesome), and now had my heart set on upgrading to the Jetta. Initially the 2011 model, but there's so many bad reports. How can a company get it so wrong yet still continue to make and sell it? very, very disappointed

Lucas_R
20-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Yes - i would stay away from the 77TDI (unless it is available with a manual gearbox) due to the rubbish 7 speed DSG which will give you a world of trouble (either clutches or mechatronics - or both if your really lucky). The 77TDI would also not be powerful enough for the Jetta - it would be so slow.

You want a 103TDI or a 147FSI/TSI.

brad
20-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Save more money or go for slightly older 103tdi or 147tsi. Heaps of cars out there if you are a bit flexible - eg: slightly older, Golfs, Octavias, colours you don't particularly like.

tigger73
20-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies! very helpful

However its not the news I was hoping for. So stay away from the 77TDI because it has the 7speed DSG?

now its getting difficult because there was plenty of 77TDI's for sale. The models over that like the 103TDI (6 speed) is quite rare.

It's too bad coz I've currently got an old golf (which is awesome), and now had my heart set on upgrading to the Jetta. Initially the 2011 model, but there's so many bad reports. How can a company get it so wrong yet still continue to make and sell it? very, very disappointed

Ever stop to wonder why there are so many available second-hand? You don't want to be buying someone else's problem - especially if you're purchasing outside warranty which most of those will be shortly (if they aren't already). Also the 77TDI is probably a little underpowered for the size car it is especially if you start loading it up.

As others suggest you're better off going slightly older and a 103TDI or 147TSI if you want a DSG as the gearboxes are the higher rated DQ250 6 speed in these.

human traffic
25-03-2014, 12:43 PM
if you like the current shape, why not go for the 118tsi with a 6sp? theyre a bit rare and you may need to stretch your budget a little but itll def. be worth it.
i was thinking the same thing about getting an older model but i just wasnt a fan of the looks (tho you gotta love the afterburner brake lights lol), i also had no intention of getting an auto :p.
with the current sale of $23k drive away for new ones it can only push down the prices in the used market. if youre not in dire need of getting one i recommend waiting (and searching) like i did (:

anthony
30-03-2014, 12:46 PM
As another option if you are looking to upgrade to a mid sized sedan is the Honda Accord Euro,which is exceptionally well built and offers class leading reliability.