PDA

View Full Version : MK2 from Adelaide

evorobin
05-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Firstly hello from a pomme mk2 gti in Adelaide. Walter organised a dyno day with the local bmw club and vortex had the huge attendance of a mk2 gti, passat 1.8t (K4, chip + extras) & a std S3. The Passat got 120KW the S3 122 & my mk2 claimed 68.8KW @ the wheels!

The mods run to a 2.25 exhaust, chip, 270 cam, cam gear 3deg. adv and pipercross induction. Probably not that flash given the mods but it really gets up at 4.5rpm to 6K. It was one of the noisier cars on the day and was on par with some E30's.

Deciding whether to go 2l or 1.8 16v with a T3. Probably getting the G60 ecu etc will be the hard bit. Any comments about management would be appreciated. Thanks

Robin

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics2/Australian-driving/golf_dyno.sized.jpg

Golf Loon
05-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Nice 2 door mate. I`d probably go the 16v if you can get all the booty, but dropping in a 2L 8v would be the least painful. Use your head and a 2L audi bottom end and hold on!

evorobin
05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Nice 2 door mate. I`d probably go the 16v if you can get all the booty, but dropping in a 2L 8v would be the least painful. Use your head and a 2L audi bottom end and hold on!

I meant ABF from a Seat. Done the 8v thing and n/a 16v isn't enough of a jump in power. Trouble is there's a cheap KR going local that is tempting me to start the ball rolling. Wouldn't be looking to fit it till Christmas but nice to have something to focus on.

The only reason I bought an 8v was the cost of insurance in the UK. I brought my car out here in 2002. It had a new vega motor and have had no dramas. Solenoid packed up yesterday and it didn't want to start for the rollers lol....

imported_brackie
05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Firstly hello from a pomme mk2 gti in Adelaide.

G'day and welcome to our forum! Nice car you've got there. Ain't it a shame that Mk2s weren't imported to Oz? I love 'em. Keep in touch with the forum as it's steadily growing. Some of the guys (like Golf Loon) are full bottles and very helpful. Oh... how about putting your location in your profile??

evorobin
05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Firstly hello from a pomme mk2 gti in Adelaide.

G'day and welcome to our forum! Nice car you've got there. Ain't it a shame that Mk2s weren't imported to Oz? I love 'em. Keep in touch with the forum as it's steadily growing. Some of the guys (like Golf Loon) are full bottles and very helpful. Oh... how about putting your location in your profile??

Thanks for the welcome. There seems to be a few imported mk2's for those that want them though. The local ones (200) had a different compression engine by all accounts. Still the best thing about my car is the eibach sway bars I brought back from blighty at christmas. Wish I'd had these a LONG time ago. Going round corners is so much better!

OEM G60
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi mate, nice looking mk 2 you've got there......i've had 2 8v's and 2 16v's myself.
Can i ask who you used to ship yours over ?? Did you do the Ro Ro or container? I'm bringing the Corrado in October but havn't booked anything yet.
I might be able to bring a G60 ecu for you aswell, on the UK Corrado forum they turn up for sale quite often.

h100vw
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
evorobin, I got my visa on thursday. I hope to come down in Adelaide by Christmas, house sale permitting. If you need any parts bringing down let me know I am sure we'll find the space.

If you are going turbo I wouldn't hold out for G60 bits. Like you say they are not thick on the ground.

Having, spent a day with a fella called Wayne Schofield(chipwizard) I would use his ideas. He reckons using the management from a Lancia Thema, Fiat Croma. The bits cost nothing cos no one wants them.

I am sure you can use the ECU from any forced induction car. Something Jap?? As long as you don't exceed the capabilities of it's boost sensing. You'll need to find somewhere that can set it up too. That can cost some time on the rollers though. It took Wayne 6 hours to map my G60 for the Red tops, 3.5BAR FPR and 68mm pulley.

www.snstuning.com have some chips for 1800 turbo conversions both 8 and 16V but an off the shelf chip will only be 'near enough'. With a turbo and hot air you need to know it's just right.

Cheers

Gavin

Oh yeah, tidy campaign (?) you have there, where's the wheels?

evorobin
06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah, tidy campaign (?) you have there, where's the wheels?

The 14's were sold to Matt with the SA Jetta in Sydney

....thanks for all the advice. Carpoid I IM'ed you on vortex to get in touch when I was over at christmas to discuss shipping, guess you were busy. I used ITS to ship to Adelaide. Fairly painless bar the cost of re-steam cleaning after UK people did a crap job.

Fuel management is something I need to research clearly!

Golf Loon
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Yup and they look lovely, but are unappreciated by the local boy racers. They`d all rather see it with 17s!
If you guys have any 5 spped boxes, the old Mk2 / Mk1 rod shift boxes, bring em with you, they are thin on the ground in Oz, also the mount to fit a 5speed to a Mk1.
See You down Under :wink:

h100vw
06-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Which mount is that? the one on the gearbox by the battery? I must have thrown a dozen away in my time :roll:

Same as a Scirocco too.

I guess you can take all the ones I can get?

Gavin

OEM G60
07-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Carpoid I IM'ed you on vortex to get in touch when I was over at christmas to discuss shipping, guess you were busy. I used ITS to ship to Adelaide. Fairly painless bar the cost of re-steam cleaning after UK people did a crap job.

Ah cheers mate.Sorry i never got that :x TBH i havn't signed in to Vortex for a while !! I vaguely remember posting and asking about who to use but getting the usual 'don't bother' and 'buy a car here' etc which gets on my nerves i have to say !!
I'll look up ITS on google then !! 8)

Golf Loon
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Yup h100vw that side mount, bring a few and any gearboxes. Boxes cost $1000plus here, for a reco box. If you sold them for $500, thats pretty fair, as compared to what they would cost in Blighty. I threw away loads of VW bits in the UK, that are expensive here! Such is life.

h100vw
08-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I hope the dog in the scrappy doesn't get me, when I jump the fence later tonight..................... :lol:
Gavin

imported_brackie
08-06-2005, 06:33 AM
I hope the dog in the scrappy doesn't get me, when I jump the fence later tonight..................... :lol:
Gavin
Yeah.. If you get caught the judge might send you to the colonies!

h100vw
08-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Gavin
Yeah.. If you get caught the judge might send you to the colonies!

I'd do it to save the air fare. :shock:

I could ask for a refund of the fee I paid the agency too. :roll:

Gavin