PDA

View Full Version : Polo 6N2 Buying Guide?

jeremyex_
14-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Hi all,

Girlfriend is looking at purchasing a Polo 6N2 1.4. Looked through the net for common problems but couldn't really find anything specific to the 1.4 only the GTI (Gearbox). So was just wondering if there were any common problems that we should look out for when viewing the car?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

h100vw
15-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Hi all,

Girlfriend is looking at purchasing a Polo 6N2 1.4. Looked through the net for common problems but couldn't really find anything specific to the 1.4 only the GTI (Gearbox). So was just wondering if there were any common problems that we should look out for when viewing the car?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

I have only ever looked at one, so not a huge amount to go off.

I just spent a couple of days in and off messing with the drivers side electric window switches on one. They have been full of water and all the inside have rotted away. Needs new switches which aren't expensive.

The central locking has a leak somewhere, so the pump runs for ages and doesn't lock the doors. Not going to be a problem on every car.

The drivers door handle has a link into the door lock which is made of some die cast metal. These break easily if you are rough with them. VW do a repair kit for $60. You need 3 hands to fit it though, with the spring and the other bits, bouncing all over the place.

Carried out a long overdue oil and filter change, a set of plugs (the ones in there had a gap you could measure with a ruler) a set of leads to cure a misfire.

I have heard that the coilpacks are a common failure.

Otherwise, they seem pretty good.

Gavin

jeremyex_
15-03-2014, 09:50 AM
I have only ever looked at one, so not a huge amount to go off.

I just spent a couple of days in and off messing with the drivers side electric window switches on one. They have been full of water and all the inside have rotted away. Needs new switches which aren't expensive.

The central locking has a leak somewhere, so the pump runs for ages and doesn't lock the doors. Not going to be a problem on every car.

The drivers door handle has a link into the door lock which is made of some die cast metal. These break easily if you are rough with them. VW do a repair kit for $60. You need 3 hands to fit it though, with the spring and the other bits, bouncing all over the place.

Carried out a long overdue oil and filter change, a set of plugs (the ones in there had a gap you could measure with a ruler) a set of leads to cure a misfire.

I have heard that the coilpacks are a common failure.

Otherwise, they seem pretty good.

Gavin

Cheers for that Gav. One other thing, would I be able to scan the 6N2's with VCDS?

h100vw
15-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Cheers for that Gav. One other thing, would I be able to scan the 6N2's with VCDS?

You can but it doesn't tell you a great deal. You can only see a few blocks. It will turn off service lights etc too.

Gavin

jeremyex_
15-03-2014, 09:57 AM
You can but it doesn't tell you a great deal. You can only see a few blocks. It will turn off service lights etc too.

Gavin

Ah k cheers mate.

Golf Loon
22-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I think they are terrible cars. Gearboxes are weak. Engines are never maintained properly. Twin timing belt setup needs special tools to do and is expensive so people never do them. Locks break, window regs and electrics break. Plastics and interior trim feels cheap and nasty IMO. Get a golf for your girl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmac
22-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Good if serviced, can be really bad if not. Alloy block and cradle for crank all one part and doesn't tolerate bad servicing when it goes bad its a throw away. Gearboxes are Achilles heel. They are fairly reliable if maintained , Auto is the 001 variant and is a better one than the crap 01M or 096 in the Golf. Agree with Matt on the timing belts they are a 2 belt set up and like most will scramble the engine if any of the 2 breaks. I personally like them , and was in the process of 1.8T ing it but it may be std again depending on a mate.
Jmac

jeremyex_
27-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, ended up giving it a miss.