PDA

View Full Version : Panicking

ikiriki
14-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Hi all, I think I've made a really big mistake...

I traded in my existing car (A 2004 Nissan 350Z roadster) for a Jetta in the hope that I would have far fewer problems and hassles.

I bought the 2012 My12.5 118TSI DSG Comfortline with the 7 speed gearbox as a brand new model and am waiting for it to be delivered. I purchased this given the great discount I received over taking this instead of a 13/14 model without having to own another secondhand car.

I am now reading all the horror stories about the gearbox and am really panicking that I've made the wrong choice.

Have the issues been fixed now with the software upgrades? or am I in for a world of hurt?!?

Rik

h100vw
14-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Dealer warranty Rik. Panic over. :D

Gavin

ikiriki
14-03-2014, 09:48 PM
So Purchase the additional warranty? or does the dealer usually provide a warranty as well? The dealer I am going through is family...and I remember being presented with 2 in house options as well as the VW warranty. But I am sure I went with the free one

h100vw
14-03-2014, 09:54 PM
If you are buying it with effectively zero km, that's what it sounds like. Then do you not have a full factory warranty for 3 years? I never bought new, so not familiar with the length.

If it's going to fall over and require costly repairs, it's most likely to occur within warranty.

Gavin

ikiriki
14-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah I'm buying with Zero Kms, so it comes with the full 3 yr VW warranty / capped price servicing / Roadside assist. I thought from reading that most of the issues were happening outside of warranty? If they are predominately inside and covered I think I'll sleep better

h100vw
14-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Stuff can go wrong any time but assuming the worst invites disaster in my experience. If you are connected to the dealership, then surely they'll look after you.

Have them check it's had all the tech bulletins and updates carried out.

Gavin

The One
14-03-2014, 10:17 PM
The 7 speed has had a recent recall which see's replacement of the gear oil which will fix the issues on the 7 speed. Apart from that they are actually fairly good boxes. No need to worry mate.

Rawcpoppa
16-03-2014, 07:56 AM
The horror stories are mostly for older ones e.g. 2008 to say 2011 mostly. The recall recently addressed these issues of mechatronic unit failures and I would say that the newer vehicles don't seem to be having as many issues. Most of the dsg related threads are drying up which to me is a good sign. Not just on here but even in forums abroad. Before the recall the threads were alive and thriving for years.

I own a 2012 Jetta with 53000 km on it and the only issue I have with the gearbox pertains to slight juddering at times in D mode. With three years warranty I wouldn't worry at all. Don't panic.

JustCruisn
16-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I thought VW extended the warranty to 5 years on those boxes to help everyone calm down.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f40/5-year-vw-driveline-warranty-includes-dsg-80877.html

The 118Kw (1.4l) engine was a problem child on the previous Jetta model, not sure if that has been fixed on the current models.

ikiriki
16-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys, this has gone along way to putting my mind at rest.

Also spoken with the dealership who will look at further insurance options. I think they said I can purchase extra insurance through VW to extend the full warranty to 5 years or take out their in house premium insurance cover.

If the drive train is already at 5 yrs warranty... I might go with the latter as I think its the cheaper option.

The One
16-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Just remember, open up the 7 speed DSG casing and there it is, a manual gearbox. Manual in every possible way.

ikiriki
18-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Just got the call today to say the Jetta is in and just waiting the paint / fabric / vinyl protection and the tint.

Also took out the extended dealer warranty today meaning that I will get 5 yrs dealer warranty after the VW warranty expires and will also give me roadside assist for the full 8 years as well. So all in all I'm pretty happy.

Thanks everyone for your help! can't wait to take her for a drive!