PDA

View Full Version : Track oil temps on daily driven car

zei20t
13-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

Took my Octavia RS to wakefield. Ran very well - no surprises there.

Oil temps hit 135c but didn't really go higher than that after a significant beating.

at that temperature, using the factory weight oil may make the oil too thin.

Would it be a better idea to run an external oil cooler with a thermostat, or change oil weight? Can I upgrade the factory heat exchanger and possibly put more load on the water cooling system?

Engine is a CCZ TSI EA888

I'll be buying the larger factory heat exchanger for the DSG as that's the last thing I want to have die on me.

thanks!

zei20t
13-03-2014, 02:22 PM
another option I guess is a larger sump to add maybe 0.5L of oil capacity. might also help?

zei20t
17-03-2014, 09:21 AM
60 views and no one has an opinion???

anyone actually modded a car in this way before?

nat225
17-03-2014, 09:28 AM
The highest i have seen on mine was 125 degrees on the 10 mnts session. But i tend to take it easy for 1/2 lap or so when i see it cos it is not a purpose built race car :) and brisbane is hotter too than goulbourn

Some use heavier oil (see grandturismo), some use more serious mods in oil and dsg cooler.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Lucas_R
17-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Firstly, 135 degrees isn't really high enough to cause breakdown of the oil - i wouldn't be too worried. And those temps are pretty normal on the 2.0TSI engine (in track situations) if you look online. Providing you are using a good quality synthetic oil (which no doubt you are) it should be ok.

A new oil pan with extra capacity would cost a fair bit (have never seen one for these engines) and 0.5L extra would make bugger all difference. You would want another 1.5-2L to even go to the trouble.

As you mentioned, and external oil cooler mounted up the front would be a good idea if you plan on tracking the car often - if not tracking often, it's not worth the cost/trouble. A guy with a Golf R had an external oil cooler fitted (he tracks his car alot) and he reported about 10 degrees drop in peak temp).

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?12969-Oil-Temperature&p=282538&viewfull=1#post282538

If you are only tracking a few times a year, my only recommendation would be to replace your oil and oil filter after the day.

zei20t
17-03-2014, 10:14 AM
I wasn't alarmed by the temps, but as oil viscosity is measured at 100c, at 135c the oil would possibly be the wrong weight.

but as mentioned, probably worth changing the oil and filter after - or before, depending on last service.

thanks for your input Lucas! ill be looking into this further, just for reliability and longevity of my car :)

Lucas_R
17-03-2014, 10:36 AM
How many laps of Wakefield are you doing before you see 135 degree oil temps? Mabye you need to do, say 5 laps (for example) then do a cool down lap (or two), then go for another 5 laps.

I don't think i've ever seen my R go above about 105 degrees (giving it a hard time along the Pacific Highway), but it would get hotter on the track.

Have you considered getting a lower rubber seal (or even take it off completely) for where the rain tray meets the back of the bonnet (near the windscreen)? If you get a lower seal, then it will allow hot air to escape near where your windscreen wipers are. Might be worth trying?

Like this: VWVortex.com - New TRIM. Small mod but very effective (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5056556-New-TRIM-Small-mod-but-very-effective&p=68023191&viewfull=1#post68023191)

zei20t
17-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Ive thought about airflow for cooling, but I think there are more effective ways of shedding heat into the cooling system. I believe these should be last resorts as it start effecting or producing other problems. if anything, id be putting a tray in to the bumper to direct more air onto the radiator. but remember im not having water temp problems, that was very good at holding temps!

probably 8-10 hard laps before seeing those temps, and once I got an oil pressure warning on a very hard left-hander. apparently, this is fairly common for TSI engines. my guess is the oil was too thin and sloshed away from the oil pickup after the full-throttle right hander and a hard brake before the fish-hook at wakefield. I pulled over and checked oil and it was at least 1/2 way between the two marks. Perhaps I should overfill slightly next time? at the very least, take a 1L oil refill with me.

I don't go to the track often at the moment, but I will be more.

I wonder if there is a larger engine oil heat exchanger into the coolant, similar to the larger DSG heat exchanger?

perhaps I can direct some cool air onto it from the fog light area via a tube?

thanks for the links BTW, heaps of options and ideas on those sites! I keep forgetting about the other sites.......

Lucas_R
17-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Have you seen the APR oil protection thing-a-magig for the 2.0TSI engines? As you said, the oil pressure on the 2.0TSI engines is common (on track days and hard driving).

Start saving: http://goapr.com.au/products/oil_protection_system_20tsi_au.html

zei20t
17-03-2014, 03:57 PM
I think that's overkill, not to mention an over-complicated system that is probably easily solved other ways :)

thanks for the link, however not necessary for me.

brad
18-03-2014, 09:32 AM
As I said previously, I'd experiment with oil types a bit.

I would also look at what level of cooling / heat release you are getting. Start at the front around the radiator / IC area & plug up any (even bolt holes) airgaps with foam rubber strip. You want it so the air comes in through the grille & has nowhere else to go except for through the radiator. This will force the maximum amount of air through the radiator.

I don't hink it's necessary to remove the lower grille but it's something to think about.

If your model has the underbonnet insulator, I'd remove it for track days (it's like 5 minutes work).

On track days, remove the rubber strip (2 minutes) that seperates the engine bay from the plenum - don't worry about adding something to dress it up.

As a more permanent mod, you can put some spacers/washers between the bonnet & the bonnet hinges to lift the bonnet at the back - we used to do this on Toranas back in the day ;-). My Torana 1200 had everyone fooled with that mod.

Here's one to add to the world of bizarreness category. A guy over at OCAU once used heat sink epoxy to glue CPU heatsinks all over his sump pan. I wish I could find the photo as it looked like his engine was being molested by a mechanical porcupine. I have no idea of the efficacy of the mod.

If you're really desperate - turn the heater on. :-(

zei20t
19-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Changing the oil is probably the cheapest and easiest option for the moment.

Fortunately, water temps are perfect on the track, so additional air-flow wont assist the oil temp issue. Plus no matter how cool I get the radiator, the thermostat will always regulate the temperature.

I think ill wait to see what the golf R sump looks like. Its using a TSI engine, and I believe they are modified for the extra power output, and can cater for the extra G forces on cornering. they may also use a larger oil heat exchanger. again, ill have to wait. but im in no rush :)

thanks for your feedback guys!

brad
19-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind that any gains you make in airflow through the radiator will also benefit the IC :-)

zei20t
19-03-2014, 10:17 AM
That's very true!

And I have yet to fit my big IC too :)

brad
19-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Get the hoses sorted yet?

zei20t
19-03-2014, 10:47 AM
nup. ill just buy the adaptor elsewhere. too hard dealing with the people who sold me the kit. for the price I paid and getting a $40 adaptor, im still better off than any big brand name kit.

Lucas_R
19-03-2014, 11:12 AM
nup. ill just buy the adaptor elsewhere. too hard dealing with the people who sold me the kit. for the price I paid and getting a $40 adaptor, im still better off than any big brand name kit.

Did you see the place selling the adapter that i linked to in your intercooler thread?

zei20t
19-03-2014, 02:01 PM
yes I did thank you!

haven't had much time and many CBF moments too haha