PDA

View Full Version : Turning off Daytime running lights

Snail Style
12-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to turn off daytime running lights on the Golf 7 yet? I've done a search on google and can only find references to cars over in the UK, which their procedure doesn't seem to work. :(

elephino
18-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Asking the obvious but have you tried in the manual? In the Mk6 there was a procedure listed in there.

Hillbilly
18-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Just as a heads up I believe it is illegal to turn them off if the car comes factory equipped with them.

See and be seen Why would you want to turn them off

Lucas_R
18-03-2014, 01:36 PM
In the MK6, you can turn them off via the steering wheel controls and navigating through the menu on the MFD (Lights & Convenience / Daytime Running Lights / ON/OFF). It seems only Mk6's after 2011 had this ability. (my MY11.5 Golf R does). I turn my DRL's off on sunny days as i think it looks a bit wanky. I only turn them on if its overcast or a darker day. Engine needs to be running (but not moving, and doors closed) to access the menu on the MFD.

There is also a procedure using the indicator stalk and ignition which works on my 2010 GTI. Push indicator down (as if turning left) and pull towards you (as if indicating to turn left and also using the highbeams) and then turn the ignition on. Hold for 5 seconds and beep will sound and DRL's will turn off.

To turn them back on, repeat the same process but indicate right.

Surely the MK7 will be similar to one of these processes.

Snail Style
18-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah no luck with those procedures. Some people don't want to be seen... Like a private investigator maybe?

Hillbilly
18-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah no luck with those procedures. Some people don't want to be seen... Like a private investigator maybe?

Plenty of other cars to buy without them although more and more have them for safety reasons.

DV52
18-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to turn off daytime running lights on the Golf 7 yet? I've done a search on google and can only find references to cars over in the UK, which their procedure doesn't seem to work. :(

Snail Style: Ryan_R is correct about the mk6, but I'm pretty sure that you can't turn-off the daytime running lights (DRL) using the same process on the mk7. I think that the only way that you can do this on a MK7 is with a VCDS cable.

I hadn't heard Hillbilly's advice before, but it's worth considering before you proceed with what I'm about to say below.

If you have a VCDS cable (or you have access to one), there is a tweak that enables you to disable the DRL when the light switch in the normal, "Off" position. With the tweak activated, the DRLs will turn-on only if you have the light switch in the "auto" position. Not sure if this is what you want (i.e. the DRL are not fully disabled). I'm also not sure of the legal status of this type of interference to the DRL given Hillbilly's advice.

Anyhow, you can find the VCDS tweak on the site that Ryan_R has quoted. The URL is :

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung Auto - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7/tagfahrlicht-nur-in-schalterstellung-auto.php)

The website is in German, but with Google translate, the instructions are as follows :

The onboard supply control unit, you have the option of the new VW Golf 7, the daytime running lights (DRL) be set so that it is activated only in the switch in the Auto position. In switch position '0 '(light) Thus, the daytime running lights of the headlights (LED or halogen) will be disabled.

The following coding is used:

Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
STG access authorization -> Function 16
Enter access code 31347
STG adjustment -> function 10
Channel (9) - select daytime running lights only switch in the Auto position
Select " active"

The English is a little "clunky", but the instructions are fairly clear. I haven't tried this tweak, so please let us all know how it turns-out for you if you use the fix.

scobb
18-03-2014, 08:05 PM
I don't want to turn them off at any time for safety (and I suspect, legal) reasons, but I would like to be able to change them for a bright white bulb or an LED equivalent. Any recommendations for suitable products that won't throw up an error code? Also, how straightforward is it to access and change these bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snail Style
19-03-2014, 05:56 AM
It takes 2 seconds to pull both bulbs out, that's how we have the car setup at the moment. However the globe warning light can be annoying. Will have a go at the permanent fix today and report back.

DV52
19-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to turn off daytime running lights on the Golf 7 yet? I've done a search on google and can only find references to cars over in the UK, which their procedure doesn't seem to work. :sad:
Activation of Daytime Running Lights only if switch is in the Auto position

[*=2]Select STG 09 (Cent. Elect.)
[*=2] STG access authorization -> Function 16
[*=2] Enter access code 31347
[*=2] STG adjustment -> function 10
[*=2] Channel (9) - Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung Auto auswählen
[*=2]Select " active"

Edit: Snail Style - I've changed step (5) above to read the original German. I suspect that this is how you will see the channel option when (and if) you try the tweak.

Snail Style
19-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Figured it out guys, however it needed a dealership's VAS to get it done. The way explained above altered the way the auto lights work, making them activate daytime running lights; however it did not turn the daytime running lights off in the 0 position. The way I have them set them up now they do not work entirely, however bulbs are still fitted and no faults are thrown.

Anyone in Victoria feel free to gimme a pm and I can let you know who can get it done.

DV52
20-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Figured it out guys, however it needed a dealership's VAS to get it done. The way explained above altered the way the auto lights work, making them activate daytime running lights; however it did not turn the daytime running lights off in the 0 position. The way I have them set them up now they do not work entirely, however bulbs are still fitted and no faults are thrown.

Anyone in Victoria feel free to gimme a pm and I can let you know who can get it done.

snail style: Just to confirm your findings (please). Are you saying that the VCDS tweak had no effect on the DRLs when the switch was in the off position (i.e. the DRLs remained on)?
Also, what happened to the DRLs when the switch was in the "auto" position (after the VCDS tweak)?

Snail Style
21-03-2014, 05:32 AM
So basically in the off position, the DRLs worked exactly the same. When in auto mode now, it makes use of DRLs instead of parkers from what I could see. Main point is that VCDS could not turn them off.

A dealer machine had a **** tonne more adaptions in it. However they were all still in german too. :P

DV52
21-03-2014, 10:55 AM
So basically in the off position, the DRLs worked exactly the same. When in auto mode now, it makes use of DRLs instead of parkers from what I could see. Main point is that VCDS could not turn them off.

A dealer machine had a **** tonne more adaptions in it. However they were all still in german too. :P

Snail Style: Many thanks for the feedback. Understanding how the VCDS cable works on a mkVII is a slow and tedious process. Very little piece of additional information is valuable. Sorry that the tweak didn't work, but it sounds like the VAS fix was successful.

DV52
21-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Snail Style: Notwithstanding that my previous suggestion proved to be unsuccessful- my appology again, I've personally tried the following VCDS tweak and it works brilliantly on my mkVII. The good thing about this tweak (other than the fact that it actually works) is that I am able to select DRL on, or DRL off using the car menu display (on the Discover media head). The original material comes from the Stemie.de site.

Just a note of caution: before using the tweak, please consider Hillbilly's advice

Just as a heads up I believe it is illegal to turn them off if the car comes factory equipped with them.

Disable/enable Daytime Running Lights using Discover Media screen (mkVII)

The following coding is used:
1 Select 09-Cent. Elect.

2.Select Security Access-16

3. Enter Code 31347

4. click Do it! tab

5. Select Adaptation-10

6. From pull-down channel list, select (2)-Daytime Running Lights- Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge möglich

7. Enter New value = active (default stored value = "not active").

Click Do it! .

Click Add to log to record a copy of the change report .

Click Go Back and exit the VCDS software

Using the function

1. Select Car from the buttons on the side of the media screen. Then press Setup (on the bottom RHS)

2. Select Light

3. Enable the "tick" on Daytime Running Light (tick-on DRLs on, tick-off DRLs off

QED!!

Edit: In subsequent discussion following this post, Diesel_vert included further information that is pertinent for those considering this tweak (in Australia at least). It's worth reading these posts before proceeding. Below is an extract from the starting post for Diesel_vert's advice (i.e. post#17).

The authority for this is ADR 13/00, noting clause 8.14.1 which indicates daytime running lamp(s) are optional:
4.2. Where the fitment of a lamp is indicated as optional, this means that it is not mandatory to fit the lamp, but if fitted, the lamp(s) are required to comply with this standard.

8. Where the installation of a lamp is indicated as optional, this means that it is not mandatory to fit the lamp, but if fitted, the lamp(s) are required to comply.

Snail Style
21-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Might have to look into setting that up, that seems abit more handy.

Diesel_vert
22-03-2014, 10:01 AM

The authority for this is ADR 13/00, noting clause 8.14.1 which indicates daytime running lamp(s) are optional:

4.2. Where the fitment of a lamp is indicated as optional, this means that it is not mandatory to fit the lamp, but if fitted, the lamp(s) are required to comply with this standard.

8. Where the installation of a lamp is indicated as optional, this means that it is not mandatory to fit the lamp, but if fitted, the lamp(s) are required to comply.

Having said that, the likelihood of being discovered for deliberately disabling DRLs and subsequently having the vehicle flagged as unroadworthy, is probably almost nil, IMO.

DV52
22-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Having said that, the likelihood of being discovered for deliberately disabling DRLs and subsequently having the vehicle flagged as unroadworthy, is probably almost nil, IMO.

Deisel_vert: I hope that you didn't think that I was implying that Hillbilly's advice was not correct. My apology if I gave this impression. This was certainly not my intention, but thanks for the follow-up.

The interesting thing about your extract is this: Cleary the Golf MKVII is fitted with DRLs as a standard fitting. So, at first blush it would be reasonable to believe that it is captured by ADR 13/00 (as per your quote). However, the VCDS tweak that I posted enables the driver to select that the DRLs can be either on, or off. Sure you need a VCDS cable to activate the on/off trigger mechanism. But, the tweak does nothing more than enable a facility that is there as part of the car's normal operation (i.e. The Discover Media screen for the DRLs is designed into the car). From what others have said, if I had purchased a mk6 Golf, the very same facility to turn the DRLs on/off would have been already programmed into the car from new (albeit the process to do this is different - as I understand).

So the confounder to my question is this: If the car has the on/off facility programmed into it, what is its status wrt ADR 13/00? I'm not a lawyer, so I really do not know the answer to this question. But if the answer is that the provisions of clause 8.14.1 do in fact apply, then is the mk7 and the mk6 really compliant with ADR 13/00 given that the driver can so easily breach the regulation (i.e because it is so easy to turn the DRLs on/off)? There may be some legal types in the forum that can provide their views.

Diesel_vert
22-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I hope that you didn't think that I was implying that Hillbilly's advice was not correct. My apology if I gave this impression. This was certainly not my intention, but thanks for the follow-up.

No, no, I just thought I'd mention the source and provide some evidence for his statement.

The interesting thing about your extract is this: Cleary the Golf MKVII is fitted with DRLs as a standard fitting. So, at first blush it would be reasonable to believe that it is captured by ADR 13/00 (as per your quote). However, the VCDS tweak that I posted enables the driver to select that the DRLs can be either on, or off. Sure you need a VCDS cable to activate the on/off trigger mechanism. But, the tweak does nothing more than enable a facility that is there as part of the car's normal operation (i.e. The Discover Media screen for the DRLs is designed into the car). From what others have said, if I had purchased a mk6 Golf, the very same facility to turn the DRLs on/off would have been already programmed into the car from new (albeit the process to do this is different - as I understand).

As far as I can tell, there is no provision in ADR 13 which expressly prohibits manually switchable DRLs.

It's just that you're not supposed to switch DRLs off (if present) in a road-registered motor vehicle that is to be driven on the public highway.

If the car has the on/off facility programmed into it, what is its status wrt ADR 13/00?

I would argue that having the ability to make a vehicle non-compliant (in this case, turning off DRLs), while rendering the vehicle unroadworthy if carried out, has no bearing on the vehicle's compliance status.

In a hypothetical scenario, if ADR 13 expressly prohibited manually switchable DRLs, and the vehicle allowed such a function, only then would the vehicle not comply with ADR 13.

But if the answer is that the provisions of clause 8.14.1 do in fact apply, then is the mk7 and the mk6 really compliant with ADR 13/00 given that the driver can so easily breach the regulation (i.e because it is so easy to turn the DRLs on/off)?

I would argue that the level of convenience in which a vehicle can be made non-compliant would also have no bearing on the vehicle's compliance status. At a point of law, I would find it surprising if the regulations made for such a provision.

Temptation is not an excuse. :D

In principle, irrespective of how the vehicle is made non-compliant (software or hardware) or the amount of time taken (1 sec or 1 month), the effect is still the same.

Again, if we ignore the regulations and be pragmatic, I doubt anyone will discover it, much less be penalised for it. I think you'd have to give the police a crap load of attitude before they ping you with unlit DRLs (if they don't arrest you first).

I suppose it might be different if DRLs were mandatory here, as it is currently (for new models) in Europe - but they're not.

Hillbilly
22-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Just because there is a provision to turn them off doesn't make it legal. The Passat has them and I wouldn't turn them off Would much rather be seen and I think they look quite good. Amazing how hard it is to see some cars Especially grey in bad light when having DRL's on would make it visible. Enough idiots drive around at night with no headlights.

In Canada it is compulsory for all cars to have sidelights or DRl's on PERMANENTLY in daylight so be thankful you don't live there.

Also should you go for a roadworthy and the examiner is familiar with the model how are you going to explain they aren't working. FAIL LOL.

Should you have an accident and the other party says I didn't see the car but it should have had DRLs showing what will your insurance say.

Just theoretical but hopefully commonsense will apply. Why turn a safety feature off.

This was mentioned on here some time ago when someone asked a dealer to do it for them and the dealer refused for the reason I gave.

Perhaps warranty may come into it if your car is non compliant.

DV52
22-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Thank you both for your responses. Some very compelling logic indeed! Whilst I'm of a view that the tweak that I have posted will remain on my car, the tick on the "Daytime Running Light" entry (on the screen) will remain "on". I will do this in part for the reasons that you have both articulated, but mainly because I like the look of the DRLs as well. Of course others can take their own views on this matter.

Diesel_vert
22-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Just because there is a provision to turn them off doesn't make it legal.

Broadly speaking, as far as road-registered vehicles driven on the public highway are concerned, that is how the regulations should be interpreted in general.

Also should you go for a roadworthy and the examiner is familiar with the model how are you going to explain they aren't working.

A possible solution would be to return the vehicle to its road-registerable state prior to inspection.

Should you have an accident and the other party says I didn't see the car but it should have had DRLs showing what will your insurance say.

Assuming the other party is at fault and is indisputable, causing a collision on account of not having seen one's vehicle, irrespective of whether it was equipped with DRLs or not, would still make them liable - otherwise it would set an undesirable precedent.

If DRLs were mandatory, I imagine the worst that would happen is for both parties to share liability, at no less than 50% for the other party for an absolute worst case scenario, IMO.

Of course, the logic behind DRLs is to make one's vehicle less inconspicuous, so depending on the circumstances, the likelihood of that hypothetical collision would have been reduced if one's vehicle were equipped with DRLs and were functioning at the time.

This was mentioned on here some time ago when someone asked a dealer to do it for them and the dealer refused for the reason I gave.

Volkswagen may deny a warranty claim if any unapproved modification is found to have caused or contributed to a fault. However, given the nature of this particular modification, the likelihood of that happening would be fairly remote I imagine.

The dealer is probably just protecting itself from any possibility of liability (no matter how remote), given that it's a modification which hasn't received manufacturer approval (for the Mk7 Golf in Australian markets).

Perhaps warranty may come into it if your car is non compliant.

Volkswagen should not deny any warranty claims based solely on the vehicle's roadworthiness.

For example, Volkswagen should deny a warranty claim for a damaged differential caused by mismatched tyres fitted on the same axle. The fact that fitting mismatched tyres on the same axle renders the vehicle unroadworthy is immaterial to Volkswagen.

Snail Style
23-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Guys, not having DRLs won't cause failure of a RWC. I have my roadworthy license and DRLs are counted as additional lighting. Aslong as you have low beam, parkers and high beam then the vehicle is roadworthy, atleast in Victoria. Whether it meets ADR's still is a different story.

Diesel_vert
23-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Guys, not having DRLs won't cause failure of a RWC.

In regards to vehicle standards, the presence of DRLs on motor vehicles is not mandatory in Australia, as per clause 8.14.1 in ADR 13 - so you are correct on that point.

However, clause 4.2 and 8 in ADR 13 states that if the lamp is fitted and/or installed, they must comply with the requirements listed in the standard. For DRLs, this refers to paragraph 6.19.7 of appendix A in ADR 13, which states:

The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

Thus, if DRLs are fitted and/or installed and don't function as per above, then it does not comply with ADR 13 - which leads to the next point...

Aslong as you have low beam, parkers and high beam then the vehicle is roadworthy, atleast in Victoria. Whether it meets ADR's still is a different story.

In regards to vehicle safety and roadworthiness, most states will have the following clause written somewhere in the regulations:

If a third edition ADR applies to the design and construction of a vehicle, the vehicle must comply with the ADR.

So in the overall scheme of things, if a vehicle is to be road-registered, it is a requirement that it comply with the ADR.

Snail Style
24-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Hmmm yeah didn't consider that point! But as most cops aren't even qualified to check for an oil leak, I think anyone with a good reason for this mod should be safe.

In any case it would only be cause for a minor defect so it would just mean turning them back on and going to get it inspected.

DV52
24-03-2014, 10:53 AM
In regards to vehicle standards, the presence of DRLs on motor vehicles is not mandatory in Australia, as per clause 8.14.1 in ADR 13 - ......................................

Diesel_vert: Wow - any superlative that I could use to describe your knowledge of the Australian Design Rules for Lighting would be grossly inadequate!! Very inpressive indeed. I hope that you're not the policeman that pulls me over if I ever have my DRLs off!

Diesel_vert
24-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Hmmm yeah didn't consider that point!

If you think about it, I suppose it would be inconsistent and contradictory if a vehicle is considered to be road-registerable without simultaneously complying with the relevant vehicle standards.

But as most cops aren't even qualified to check for an oil leak, I think anyone with a good reason for this mod should be safe.

In any case it would only be cause for a minor defect so it would just mean turning them back on and going to get it inspected.

Exactly.

Wow - any superlative that I could use to describe your knowledge of the Australian Design Rules for Lighting would be grossly inadequate!! Very inpressive indeed. I hope that you're not the policeman that pulls me over if I ever have my DRLs off!

I guess I'm merely doing what any ordinary person could've done - which is to simply state what the rules are.

These rules can be found on websites of the relevant government authority, and are free to be viewed by members of the public with internet access and sufficient boredom.

In the interests of our members, I thought it best to highlight the relevant sections (most of which are self-explanatory), lest we start modifying cars under a false assumption or an incorrect understanding of the rules.

I care not what one does afterwards, as it's not my job to care. Enforcement of the rules is the responsibility of the police - not mine (so you need not worry, haha).

bigtallbloke
10-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but thanks for the valuable info about DRL mods in VCDS. Just wondered if anyone had discovered an option to disable them when engine not running as opposed to parking brake active? Thanks.

DV52
11-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but thanks for the valuable info about DRL mods in VCDS. Just wondered if anyone had discovered an option to disable them when engine not running as opposed to parking brake active? Thanks.

bigtallguy: hello and what a great question!

I assume that you have looked through the VCDS reference thread and that you have discounted the option of switching off the DRLs via the infotainment screen (i.e. you want an automatic method).

I don't have a definitive answer to your interesting question, but here's a suggestion that you might like to experiment-with:
Within the 73 x allowable settings for the "alpha" Leuchte channels is the command Klemme 15 mit Nachlauf bis Fahrzeugstillstand. My German language skills are atrocious, but according to the web-translators this command means something like " Terminal 15 with follow-up vehicle standstill" (I think).

You probably know that terminal 15 is ignition switch-on (with, or without engine-on), so the combination of this and vehicle standstill roughly equates to your requirement (I guess)

So (and again, this suggestion is entirely untested), if you include this command into the two Leuchte-sets for the left/right side DRLs - together with a Dimmwert setting of 0 and a dimming direction setting of minimum, the effect should be to extinguish the DRLs when the car is stationary (and the ignition is switched-on)

Don

bigtallbloke
13-07-2016, 03:43 AM
Thanks Don, Yes, I did mean automatic. Due to work, I sit in the car with ignition on, so I was trying to avoid them being on then. I like having them on, but didn't want them to go off when sat in traffic with the parking brake on. It's no big deal, just a silly desirable.
I'll have a tinker when I get a minute and feed back.
Cheers, Mike

Hillbilly
28-07-2020, 12:37 PM
In OBD ELEVEN Module 09 Central electrics BYTE 23 Tick BIT 4 DRL OFF with handbrake on and it works on my Tig even if lights are OFF