PDA

View Full Version : R36 Wagon - Power Tailgate closing issues?

damo_t
10-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi All,

I'm a new (to me) owner of a MY10 R36 wagon with power tailgate.

I've noticed on the odd occasion that when I go to the close the tailgate via the button, that it does not respond in closing.

The first time it happened (and before I'd read the owners manual comprehensively), I kind of panicked. Thought maybe I would put the key in the ignition again and try to close. Nothing.

How about starting the engine and trying to close? Nothing.

As a last resort, I just forced it down manually and could hear the locking mechanism kick in (so no issue there).

It's happened on a few random occasions since then, and I just close it manually every time it happens.

I don't have any issues with it opening from the switch in the drivers seat or the key fob, and just wanted to know if there are others out there who have had a similar? Or could advise what I should look for in investigating a fix.

Thanks in advance,
Damo.

The One
10-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Rasie the tail gate all the way to the open position and then hold the button for afew seconds, you will see the indicators flash which indicates it has been 'reset' try this and see how you go matey.

damo_t
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out and report back.

Cheers,
Damo

damo_t
10-03-2014, 07:06 PM
So I reset the tailgate and the next attempts to close the tailgate failed. But the next half dozen times closed without issue. I guess I'll keep monitoring it for now.

Also looking forward to any other peoples advice/experience with this issue.

Cheers,
Damo.

2muchcoffeeman
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
This has happened to me since my car was about 6 months old. More often that not, the tailgate didn't close...

So far, 2 x control module replaced and the tailgate switch was replaced as well.

Last week the car was again in for this issue as I was at the point where the tailgate was never closing. This time they have replaced both motors which power the tailgate. In <6 events since the new motors, so far, so good. I'll leave the jury out though.

damo_t
10-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers,

Damo.

XXX-1.8T
11-03-2014, 11:52 AM
got mine changed under warranty and has been fine since

damo_t
11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
got mine changed under warranty and has been fine since

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask what was replaced? i.e. just the tailgate switch? or control modules too?

Cheers,
Damo.

XXX-1.8T
12-03-2014, 07:37 AM
they changed the switch

damo_t
12-03-2014, 08:53 AM
they changed the switch

Thanks mate.

wags
13-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Hi All,

I'm a new (to me) owner of a MY10 R36 wagon with power tailgate.

I've noticed on the odd occasion that when I go to the close the tailgate via the button, that it does not respond in closing.

The first time it happened (and before I'd read the owners manual comprehensively), I kind of panicked. Thought maybe I would put the key in the ignition again and try to close. Nothing.

How about starting the engine and trying to close? Nothing.

As a last resort, I just forced it down manually and could hear the locking mechanism kick in (so no issue there).

It's happened on a few random occasions since then, and I just close it manually every time it happens.

I don't have any issues with it opening from the switch in the drivers seat or the key fob, and just wanted to know if there are others out there who have had a similar? Or could advise what I should look for in investigating a fix.

Thanks in advance,
Damo.

Damo

I've had exactly the same issue since buying my MY09 R36 wagon last year. I have been trying to find out whether there's anything that seems to make it worse (i.e. rain, heat etc) and so far haven't figured anything out.

I will give the reset a go and see if it makes any difference, but like yours, mine seems to work intermittently and when it doesn't I just manually push it down.

Any idea what a non-warranty switch replacement might be worth?

Wags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damo_t
13-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Damo

I've had exactly the same issue since buying my MY09 R36 wagon last year. I have been trying to find out whether there's anything that seems to make it worse (i.e. rain, heat etc) and so far haven't figured anything out.

I will give the reset a go and see if it makes any difference, but like yours, mine seems to work intermittently and when it doesn't I just manually push it down.

Any idea what a non-warranty switch replacement might be worth?

Wags

Hi wags,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like we're in the same boat.

I've done a quick search on the net regarding replacement, but haven't found anything as yet.

Seems to be a lot of parking brake switches though.

I'll put a query through VAG, and let you know what they quote.

By any chance, does anyone know if it's a possible DIY job for the non-technically minded?

Cheers,
Damo

damo_t
02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Update. I was able to source a new switch for $44. Funnily enough the tailgate has been working fine ever since. But I may just purchase it as a back up. Seems to be a decent price for OEM.

Cheers,
Damo

wags
02-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Great work Damo. Do you have a part number?

damo_t
06-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Great work Damo. Do you have a part number?

I'll post it once the part comes in for you. Looking at a couple of weeks, but will definitely update.

Cheers,
Damo

wags
06-04-2014, 10:45 PM
I'll post it once the part comes in for you. Looking at a couple of weeks, but will definitely update.

Cheers,
Damo

Thanks mate!

2muchcoffeeman
17-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Mine's still playing up....The list of repairs so far extends to:

2 x control module
switch
replacement of the motors

All of this and it has still never worked for more than a few weeks. :bangheadwall:

2muchcoffeeman
29-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Finally we have closure....

This time they checked out the wiring loom and lo and behold a crimped wire was culprit and it was only coming into play at the top of the tailgate travel- presumably with a short.

Up until now I felt that it was just a matter of throwing everything at the problem. I reckon we have a fix this time :)

damo_t
29-04-2014, 07:12 PM

This time the checked out the wiring loom and lo and behold a crimped wire was culprit and it was only coming into play at the top of the tailgate travel.

Up until now I felt that it was just a matter of throwing everything at the problem. I reckon we have a fix this time :)

That's great news. I'll keep it in mind if and when we troubleshoot.

Still waiting on the part actually. But to be fair it hasn't played up much at all. If it does, I just re-press the button to make better "contact" if that makes sense, and has worked every time bar one.

Cheers,
Damo

2muchcoffeeman
06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
So far, so good. A week in and it's still working!

damo_t
08-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks mate!

Hi Wags,

Finally received the part. I believe the part number is 3D0 959 831 D 20H. You can see it in the photo I've attached.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/IMG20140508WA0000_zpsdtgjfm71-1.jpg

Cheers,
Damo.

damo_t
08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
So far, so good. A week in and it's still working!

That's great. Is the loom in question in the top right hand corner when the tailgate is open?

Cheers,
Damo.

2muchcoffeeman
08-05-2014, 12:00 PM
That's great. Is the loom in question in the top right hand corner when the tailgate is open?

Cheers,
Damo.

Gather so Damo,

The giveaway was that the service dept. found that the fail to close only happened at the top of travel- which is the only way I ever use it. If the close button was pressed 1/2 way all was good.

I am pretty sure we have it now as previously it's just been a case of throw parts at it in the hope it would solve it.

Cheers

Chris

2muchcoffeeman
18-07-2014, 08:20 PM
It was of course too good to be true. After about 3 weeks it failed again.

This time they think it's the latch which is not correctly signalling whether it's open or closed therefore leading to weird communication with the close switch. It's the only part which hasn't been replaced at least once.

This must be about the 10th time in for this fault. On the plus side, Burwin continue to be terrific with an interesting variety of loaners to drive while they ponder.

I'll report back....

damo_t
19-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear mate.

Look forward to your next update, and hopefully a permanent fix.

Cheers,
Damo.

Domatron
08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
It was of course too good to be true. After about 3 weeks it failed again.

This time they think it's the latch which is not correctly signalling whether it's open or closed therefore leading to weird communication with the close switch. It's the only part which hasn't been replaced at least once.

This must be about the 10th time in for this fault. On the plus side, Burwin continue to be terrific with an interesting variety of loaners to drive while they ponder.

I'll report back....

My MY10 R36 wagon has the same issue :(
It started off as an intermittent issue where it would occasionally not work. I would just push the button again straight away and it would close no problem. Now it doesn't close at all!!
I haven't had chance to investigate where the problem is just yet.
Hopefully I can find the culprit quicker than you have managed.

blackarrow
27-10-2015, 09:48 PM
I had the same issue wit my MY10 wagon when it was 2yrs old - failed to close intermittently, usually after it was in the sun for a bit. Putting the key in the ignition would often make it work again. Very long story short it was only fixed after replacing the motors in the roof.

Domatron
05-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I've found that the tailgate still closes if I reach up and push the outer button next to the RVC. Hopefully then it is just the inner button that has failed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EOS07
05-04-2020, 03:30 PM
This has happened to me since my car was about 6 months old. More often that not, the tailgate didn't close...

So far, 2 x control module replaced and the tailgate switch was replaced as well.

Last week the car was again in for this issue as I was at the point where the tailgate was never closing. This time they have replaced both motors which power the tailgate. In <6 events since the new motors, so far, so good. I'll leave the jury out though.

Hi - same issue for me but with a "normal" 2013 Passat wagon.
Can I please ask you what control module you had replaced and where it is located please?

TIA

EOS07
05-04-2020, 03:40 PM

This time they checked out the wiring loom and lo and behold a crimped wire was culprit and it was only coming into play at the top of the tailgate travel- presumably with a short.

Hi 2muchcoffeeman

I appreciate that the issue has resurfaced since this post but I'm pretty sure mine is also a wiring issue - sometime the boot shuts when someone opens a door ...
could you please elaborate on the wiring loom that was looked at and where the dodgy wiring was found please?

TIA

VW_R36suit
13-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Hi guys, new to this conversation and have been reading through it. My tailgate issues seem to be different and was hopeful of some advice.
Ok so last night I changed the light in the boot and oh no we seemed to have an issue.

So the light wouldn't work, ok maybe I Blew a fuse. Nothing bad i'll do it tomorrow as I have work in the morning. So i'll just close the tailgate and forget it yeah...... No. So not only was the light in the back not working the tailgate would not close and the button was also not illuminated.

So I go on a fuse hunt ofr the next 2 hours. I read up on all the fuses and can not find a single one blown for the auto tailgate. So after 12am hits and I need to be up for work in like 4 hours I decide to painfully close the tailagte by hand (so hate that) and call it a night. But I went ahead and pressed the unlock under the number plate and wow the tailgate went up powered all fine.
So the issue seems to be, no tailgate interior light and the button inside the tailgate isn't working.

Does anyone have the location of the fuse as all the searches and video's I see seemed to be for LHD american models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly
13-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Have a look here is a couple of lots of Passat electrics that may help Usually there is a fuse list in the handbook.

Passat/ Polo Manual - Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cEIa6nNV5SW3JAahWMCKk8uL8j2H4GL4?usp=sharing)

VW_R36suit
13-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Thanks For that.

Had a long look throuh the pdf's much appreciated. But I now feel I might need an auto electrician to look into this. Hard on my head that it works to open but not close. And the hard one is the boot light. I closed the tailgate by hand (which I hate to do) and other than the light the car is fully operational. It feels this one is beyond me :(

Hillbilly
13-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Thanks For that.

Had a long look throuh the pdf's much appreciated. But I now feel I might need an auto electrician to look into this. Hard on my head that it works to open but not close. And the hard one is the boot light. I closed the tailgate by hand (which I hate to do) and other than the light the car is fully operational. It feels this one is beyond me :(

B7's boot catches were a known problem

Passat my07
14-06-2020, 10:47 PM
Maybe the micro switch for the boot light has failed so the tailgate module doesn’t recognise that it’s open?
The switch is probably in the catch as above.

VW_R36suit
17-06-2020, 08:27 AM
I have new news. Bought a multimeter and tested both power from the plugs into the light switch and close button. Both have voltage.
I might buy a new boot switch or even pop into a wreckers see if they would kindly loan me one for testing.

The MFD shows the tailgate up & also locked. Currently I've got it safely locked. Also it's not far off a service if all fails.

EOS07
15-12-2020, 10:57 AM
I have new news. Bought a multimeter and tested both power from the plugs into the light switch and close button. Both have voltage.
I might buy a new boot switch or even pop into a wreckers see if they would kindly loan me one for testing.

The MFD shows the tailgate up & also locked. Currently I've got it safely locked. Also it's not far off a service if all fails.

Hi

Did the same and started testing continuity around the wiring - does anyone know what the pins are exactly in the tailgate switch please?
Particularly 17 and 20 are harder to guestimate what they might be or do.

Thanks

PoMoPassat
12-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Just piping in to share my tailgate experience. Had the same issues as everyone here - wouldn't open with the open button nor close with close button, and it resisted opening manually. I had it parked at a campsite with music playing with the boot open. After about 3 hours (including restarting the h/u every 30 mins) the tailgate shut itself and has been working properly ever since.

Hillbilly
12-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Just piping in to share my tailgate experience. Had the same issues as everyone here - wouldn't open with the open button nor close with close button, and it resisted opening manually. I had it parked at a campsite with music playing with the boot open. After about 3 hours (including restarting the h/u every 30 mins) the tailgate shut itself and has been working properly ever since.

Probably shut in sympathy with the other campers listening to your music LOL

EOS07
13-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Forgive my ignorance, what did you restart every 30 mins?

cheers

JustCruisn
14-01-2021, 08:58 AM
Radio will auto shutdown after 30min without engine running.

EOS07
14-01-2021, 05:19 PM
Radio will auto shutdown after 30min without engine running.

Thank you

PoMoPassat
18-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Probably shut in sympathy with the other campers listening to your music LOL

LOL, no. We were on private land with a racket coming from the bogans on the other side of the river. In the end we gave up trying to hear our own music and just heard the same 20 greater west anthems on repeat over a PA.

Hillbilly
18-01-2021, 04:01 PM
LOL, no. We were on private land with a racket coming from the bogans on the other side of the river. In the end we gave up trying to hear our own music and just heard the same 20 greater west anthems on repeat over a PA.

That would be loverly I have 1500 country & western tracks on my MMI

EOS07
23-01-2021, 07:33 PM

Hi PoMo

is your tailgate still working after the 3 hour opening?

cheers

Kejk71
03-07-2021, 03:58 AM
Hello, did you find the solution od you problem? Im having the same issue now :(

Kejk71
03-07-2021, 04:02 AM
Thanks For that.

Hello, did you find the solution of this issue? I have the same problem now :(

Passat my07
04-07-2021, 11:36 PM
Hi, what’s happening with yours? If the tailgate opens ok but won’t shut with the button, check if the rear interior light is on. If it isn’t on it’s probably a faulty tailgate latch. On mine if you play with the latch the interior light will come on and then it’ll close with the button. I have a new latch but I haven’t fitted it yet.

Hillbilly
05-07-2021, 07:32 AM
Hi, what’s happening with yours? If the tailgate opens ok but won’t shut with the button, check if the rear interior light is on. If it isn’t on it’s probably a faulty tailgate latch. On mine if you play with the latch the interior light will come on and then it’ll close with the button. I have a new latch but I haven’t fitted it yet.

If you need a new latch they are about $140 from VW and $23 on EBAY I needed one for the Polo and got an Ebay one and it works perfectly

VW_R36suit
08-06-2023, 04:13 AM

No unfortunately I didn't.

When I use OBD11 I can open and close it without fuss. But still can't find a single fault.

Had to be placed on hold due to issues that ended in timing chain replacement.

Anyone find a fix or help?

VW_R36suit
08-06-2023, 04:14 AM

Mine waa replaced under warranty. My issue still continues sadly.