PDA

View Full Version : Fxxxkkkkk......

Adam
19-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Just got back an email saying my car is ready to pick up from the audio installer... One thing that i was shocked was the install cost. It came up to $1500:(:(...Wasn't expecting to be THAT much, considering initial talk said in the worst case scenario was around $400-500. I am hoping there is an error in the email, cuz otherwise, it's a massive debt i am in!! ....sigh.....

Installed:

X001 alpine
type X alpine 177r

I did all running of the wires and amp install....

Kai
19-10-2007, 10:54 PM
When you showed the pics.

It looked exxy. Cause its all custom. And for them to have your car for such a long time. Labour rates are a bitch. :)

thepowercosmic
19-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Just got back an email saying my car is ready to pick up from the audio installer... One thing that i was shocked was the install cost. It came up to $1500:(:(...Wasn't expecting to be THAT much, considering initial talk said in the worst case scenario was around $400-500. I am hoping there is an error in the email, cuz otherwise, it's a massive debt i am in!! ....sigh.....

Installed:

X001 alpine
type X alpine 177r

That's attrocious on the part of the installer given that you discussed with him a worse case scenario of $500.

Surely being the 'professionals' they are would be able to tell you early on in the install that it would blow out to three times your expectations. And then for you to make an informed decision.

I'd be pretty upset to say the least.
My advice - try what you can to pay no more than $500.

Difficult now that the work has been done.

Good luck

Adam
19-10-2007, 11:05 PM
When you showed the pics.

It looked exxy. Cause its all custom. And for them to have your car for such a long time. Labour rates are a bitch. :)

Yeh.. No doubt.. Not complaining about the install.. don't get me wrong... so, the unexpected blow out! lol...... yeh, i can picture it now...

labour = 12.3 hours... even at 50bucks an hour. that's 615 bucks....

Say, anyone looking to hire some part-timers or in need of a kidney!??:rolleyes:

KI11Z
19-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Geez, thats a shocker mate!!!! i'd be pissed!! :o was it a written quote for the 400-500 dollars?? if not you'll have t cop it on the chin! damb . . . :(

Soundofav6
19-10-2007, 11:24 PM
ouch man...just got my speakers installed, it ranged from 60- 140 just for front speakers. It's all the labour BS.

The guys should have gave you a call at least to tell you it's going to take more time, that is costing more money. Its just like a mechanic shouldn't replace other parts while at a job with out your permission.

ralphk
20-10-2007, 02:44 AM
We are currently going through a court case where we were indicated $600 for a job and we received an invoice for $3500 told the supplier we were willing to pay the 600 but no more. So far we have spend 6000 on legals with no resolution yet. I would suggest you talk to the installer first. I just had an install Head Unit/amp/subs/speakers front back no custom requirement for cutting etc but cost $300

SoVeReIgN
20-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Adam - Did that include the gear or ?

99gti
20-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I'd be debating that for sure. It may however just apeard like that on the invoice as they have mistakenly listed the items as well posibly?

Adam
20-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Adam - Did that include the gear or ?

na. i supplied all gears..

BlackVr6ix
20-10-2007, 07:47 AM
what sort of work did they do? we charge up to $120 an hour for custom work (i.e.. fibreglass etc.)

DaveMack
20-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Adam, did they actually give you a written quote? Or was it verbal? If written ... I'd hold off payment and ask them to itemise the difference between original quote and final billing ... and I'd tell them that I was getting it checked out (ombudsman or something ... maybe someone who has had these sorts of wildly overcharged prices can help here). At least make them THINK about what they've charged you ...

Dave

NickZ
20-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Installed:

X001 alpine
type X alpine 177r

That's ridiculous!

There has to be some sort of legal respite here. Whilst a quote can be way off in things like legal where circumstances change rapidly, for something like this the quote should be reliably estimated. If it is really $1500, that could be a case of misleading conduct, and you may have a shot with the Department of Fair Trading.

It is similar to a shop saying they have something on special, but they don't and instead try to entice you with other more expensive things. Obviously working a bit differently, but its the same underlying principle.

I would give the DFT a call, see what they say. They might be useless, but at least its worth a try.

Bring it up with them as well, as not too long ago a plumber tried to charge my dad about $700 for something relatively simple. My dad questioned it, he admitted he made an 'error' and the price went down to about $300.

Good luck.

shami
20-10-2007, 03:41 PM
That's ridiculous!

There has to be some sort of legal respite here. Whilst a quote can be way off in things like legal where circumstances change rapidly, for something like this the quote should be reliably estimated. If it is really $1500, that could be a case of misleading conduct, and you may have a shot with the ACCC.

It is similar to a shop saying they have something on special, but they don't and instead try to entice you with other more expensive things. Obviously working a bit differently, but its the same underlying principle.

I would give the ACCC a call, see what they say. They might be useless, but at least its worth a try.

Bring it up with them as well, as not too long ago a plumber tried to charge my dad about $700 for something relatively simple. My dad questioned it, he admitted he made an 'error' and the price went down to about $300.

Good luck.

Hey mate i dont think the ACCC are the place to go, they look for at competition and the proper running of business as in the case of HIH and the like. The department of fair trading is the go if they dont reduce the price.

The other thing is, dont forget you didnt sign anything to say yes i will pay $1500 did you??? Say you are NOT going to pay and say $1500 wasnt quoted, speak to the manager and if they still dont drop the price, tell em to pull it all out and to kiss you ass. Seriously dont feel pressured to pay a cent.

Obviously thats your last resort, try haggling and see if you can resolve it amicably. However, they CAN refuse to give your car back for not paying so be careful. But i would fight it tooth and nail...and say you havent got the money and you have other comitments blah blah..

Good luck and let us know how you go. If you need a solicitor i can hook you up with someone.

DaveMack
20-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Another thought, Adam. If they insist on you paying the full $1500 ... ask them if they can afford the bad publicity. When they say "What do you mean?" Tell them of your membership of this forum and say that you think their behaviour is downright scandalous and you'll name them on the forum.

NAME & SHAME FILE ANYONE?

Of course ... it might pay to have a couple of burly mates with you when you do this. n:

Dave

Soundofav6
20-10-2007, 06:02 PM
NAME & SHAME FILE ANYONE?

Wooww Good call... Sticky "thread of SHAME"

But if it gets out of hand the forum/ members may be liable for defamation.

DaveMack
20-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Wooww Good call... Sticky "thread of SHAME"

But if it gets out of hand the forum/ members may be liable for defamation.

Yeah ... have to be completely honest, well monitored and leave emotion out of it. I'm sure the members can make up their own minds based on the facts. That way, there should be no grounds for defamation.

Dave

torn
20-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi mate,
What did they actually do for this cost? I have worked at several installers and that is a lot of work!!!

s1831559
21-10-2007, 12:02 AM
sorry to hear that,

get them to write u a invoice up, and negoiate with the manager to a reasonable price, else department of fair trading is the way to go.

i installed mine the other day, DIY it all myself. cost -> universal din pocket $20 + wiring harness male $3 + piece of wood = $23

good luck~

Adam
21-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey guys!!

Just to clear things out alittle.... They are NOT bad installers, nor trying to rip me off (i hope)... I was and still am alittle bit of shock at the total amount. I know they did a good job, but just wasn't expecting. The cost were itemised, and the labour is the killer at $1000 for 12.3hours of work (they said, and i do believe, that they spent more time on it..!!.. i know its nuts, but i also have myself and volkswagen to blame!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NickZ
21-10-2007, 10:33 AM
They still should have told you beforehand about the unexpected cost, it is the least you would expect.

But glad to see you are happy with the final product :)

99gti
21-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow! That many hours of labour - it should look awesome. Still, I would have thought they would have contacted you to notify before hand that the job was going to consume more time than anticipated.

jasn78
21-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Adam im sure they did a good install but when mine got done and ended up being more the installers rang me first b4 doing anything to say it is going to cost more if they dont do that well to me they are dodgy

Soundofav6
24-10-2007, 05:17 AM
HEy Adam...
Just a friendly concern..how is it all turning out?? By the sound of it, you are happy with the installation but just the unexpected cost. Just them the "I am happy but if only you know how to give quote to your customer".

Let us know how it is all turning out.