PDA

View Full Version : Cam Shaft vs Cam Gears

jasn78
19-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey guys just wondering what should be done first adjustable cam gears or different cams? From previous exp with turbo cars i thought it was the cam gears are a greater benefit but would lov to know either way. Btw i have a 2006 POLO Gti

evorobin
19-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Only done both in one go but provided economy isn't a priority cam gear advanced works :cool:

h100vw
20-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Both i'd say as fitting each involves removing the cams anyway.

On a VW even though it has 2 cams, one is driven from the other by chain, so to alter the timing is a real time consumer.

Gavin

SoVeReIgN
21-10-2007, 01:01 AM
IMO you're better out maxing out the standard turbo (chip, intake, exhaust, fmic, turbo intake pipe) or getting a bigger turbo (Ko4 or above) than messing with your cams.

You'll need to tune it to suit (aftermarket ECU - $$$ and pain in the ass) or use a tune available from APR/GIAC that suits the cams you buy (Difficult, rare).

By all means, get some cams/cam gears, but after you've used other methods to get more power cheaper.

99gti
21-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey guys just wondering what should be done first adjustable cam gears or different cams? From previous exp with turbo cars i thought it was the cam gears are a greater benefit but would lov to know either way. Btw i have a 2006 POLO Gti

As said above, I'd do both at the same time. You'll save yourself a truck load in labour costs.

What else has been done to the car? If your considering this I imagine there is alot of other little gizmos that have been done too.

Oneofthegreats
22-10-2007, 03:20 PM
IMO you'd be crazy to spend money on a set of cam's & cam gear's on a 20VT unless your going with a turbo sizing GT3076R & greater.

The standard cam's an run upto & over 400 hp very easily & in some cases if the setup is right & the tune is spot on 500hp.

I'd seriously spend the money on other upgrades, such as a CAI, front mount intercooler, larger turbo (GT2871R), remap, injector's etc.

Cam's replacement is only really necessery when chasing big power with a big turbo, high air flow rate/volume & cyl pressure's. eg. As a very general rule, turbocharged gasoline engines will generate 9.5-
10.5 horsepower (as measured at the flywheel) for each lb/min of airflow. So, an engine with a target peak
horsepower of 400 Hp will require 36-44 lb/min of airflow to achieve that target.

The standard cam's have an excellent spec. to chase nice power with a matching torque curve & a very broad power band.

Ask bugracer (seb) & I'm sure he will agree, as he has built an approx 400hp 1.8T with standard cam's.

jasn78
22-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys just coming from a skyline background cam gears where always a way to get power after all your intake mods which apart from the dump pipe and high flow cat is where im at. So thank u all for ur help

Preen59
03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys just coming from a skyline background cam gears where always a way to get power after all your intake mods which apart from the dump pipe and high flow cat is where im at. So thank u all for ur help

Glad to see you finally saw the light... And moved away from the japanese commodores.