PDA

View Full Version : 3M Protection

Ryeman
07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
For just over 3 weeks now I have been driving around hoping to avoid any stone chips.
Thankfully I've collected none and now, after filling a cancelled booking yesterday, I've had the 3M film applied to the whole frontal area and will report on progress.
Has anyone else had experience with this, or similar product's performance?

Hillbilly
07-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Yes I have done all my door sills and the rear bumper on the wagon has stopped scratches and hasn't torn or anything after nearly 2 years.

Just make sure you get the plastic polish called Plexus and give it a spray about once a month.

The film does have microscopic holes apparently and the polish keeps the water and dirt out.

You can buy it at Motorbike shops for about $23 a tin

How much did it cost you A kit for the Passat was about $275 from Ozishield in Melbourne
Bonnet, front lower tray, mirrors and rear bumper below taildoor.

I did both cars sills and rear bumper for about $150

Ryeman
08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Yes I have done all my door sills and the rear bumper on the wagon has stopped scratches and hasn't torn or anything after nearly 2 years.

Just make sure you get the plastic polish called Plexus and give it a spray about once a month.

The film does have microscopic holes apparently and the polish keeps the water and dirt out.

You can buy it at Motorbike shops for about $23 a tin

How much did it cost you A kit for the Passat was about $275 from Ozishield in Melbourne
Bonnet, front lower tray, mirrors and rear bumper below taildoor.

I did both cars sills and rear bumper for about $150

I didnt trust myself to do it to a pro standard, plus the fact I only have a single carport, so I went the whole wack and paid $770. I don't understand the 'rear bumper' application.
He didn't mention Plexus.

Hillbilly
09-03-2014, 06:47 AM
I didnt trust myself to do it to a pro standard, plus the fact I only have a single carport, so I went the whole wack and paid $770. I don't understand the 'rear bumper' application.
He didn't mention Plexus.

I have a wagon so covered the bumper sill and down as far as the chrome strip to stop scratches. Ozshield recommend an application of Plexus once a month to keep the film clean. Has worked for me.

I explained why.

Ryeman
09-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I got that, it's just stone chips I was worried about. In any case, the unpainted bumper section won't take the film unless it's first painted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk