PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

cox11
24-02-2014, 05:01 AM
With my new mk7 GTi arriving in a few weeks, I was after some opinions in regards to insurance. Who did you choose, why/why not and how much you are paying

Thanks

Hillbilly
24-02-2014, 06:52 AM
To get logical comparisons perhaps your age, post code etc might get some sensible answers

Finance_Analyst
24-02-2014, 07:03 AM
I went with CBA - but only because of my relationship with the bank and my diamond status it was cheaper than all the majors. But that won't apply to all. Might be worth checking with your financial institution as they all offer insurance

cox11
24-02-2014, 08:30 AM
To get logical comparisons perhaps your age, post code etc might get some sensible answers

Both my wife and I will be driving it and both are 35yo. It will be garaged in Cheltenham Victoria.

veew
24-02-2014, 08:47 AM
What is your current rating. In the past, on comparing premiums/policies of different insurers, I found AAMI to have the best price for both motorbike and car insurance. My parents have policies with AAMI and SGIC and I think AAMI has been more effortless to deal with a claim. Overall we've been happy with the work carried out by both insurance companies.

This time, for my Golf, SGIC had the best premium by far with AAMI the next cheapest, $630 vs AAMI $830ish. JustCar was much more expensive than I expected at just over $1000 while my mate with a '10 Subaru WRX has found JustCar to be the cheapest. My GF has rating 2, I have rating 1 for car insurance, car garaged at an inner city address, driving less than 10,000km/yr, no licence suspensions.

After looking up a reviews of NRMA and SGIC I was happy enough to go with SGIC this time.
Oh btw, although Youi is underwritten by AAMI (which is in turn underwritten by one of two or three companies that underwrite all insurance companies in Australia) and claims their premiums are lower, this was not the experience I had on previous quotes for my motorbike and car. They were more expensive than AAMI whilst the coverage did not seem to be as complete or had more clauses.

My girlfriend recently told me her boss changed from one large insurance company to another smaller one (sorry I will try and chase up which company) which had a cheaper premium by a decent margin. Unfortunately they were involved in an accident within the first 1-2 weeks/months of the new policy, the insurance company would process their claim but the excess would be an additional $2-3000 as the claim was in the first few weeks/month of the policy. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I haven't and I think that is such a messed up clause. Yes they should've read the PDS but when you take out a policy you don't expect to be caught out by things like this that actually have a significant financial effects. They still haven't gotten their car fixed yet because of that messed up excess.

Conversely, my mum purchased a late model Camry recently and insured through AAMI. She's a pretty ****ty driver at best but this time had an accident that wasn't her fault. A guy came out of a small street and drove into the passenger side causing enough damage to write the car off. This accident occurred in the 3rd week of the insurance policy. She received the cheque for the payout within 2 weeks of the accident.

Addit: Turns out the insurance company my gf's boss was with was Youi.

ajay1940
24-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Another vote for AAMI. I've had a couple of claims where idiots ran up my rear, and one where I holed the sump on a Bora, driving on an outback track. AAMI got the cars repaired in quick time with no problems. Even paid accommodation and hire car.

Longy
24-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Another vote for AAMI. I've had a couple of claims where idiots ran up my rear, and one where I holed the sump on a Bora, driving on an outback track. AAMI got the cars repaired in quick time with no problems. Even paid accommodation and hire car.

Good to hear of positive stories with AAMI, as on other forum sites, all I saw was negative ones, one of my car is with AAMI as they were by far the cheapest on that car (Kluger).

Doing online quotes for the upcoming S3, for an agreed value of $73k AAMI was $780 were as GIO was $1005 and others closer to $2000, so definitely worth shopping around.

brad
24-02-2014, 11:03 AM
With my new mk7 GTi arriving in a few weeks, I was after some opinions in regards to insurance. Who did you choose, why/why not and how much you are paying

Thanks
Waste of time asking unless you can find somebody with the same age, previous driving record, number of years without a claim, similar bundling package & living directly next door to you that has exactly the same car with the same options as you.

AdamD
24-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Suggest you all have a read through this extensive thread on the subject in the Mk6 section:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/insurance-company-you-43286.html

AAMI gets very negative reviews from many, especially those who've had to claim and have a car repaired.

Hillbilly
24-02-2014, 08:08 PM
NRMA is by far the cheapest for both of mine

veew
24-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Wow that is a long thread, quickly looked up a few pages but will have to go back another time.

What are the top three based on that thread?

Alex31
24-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Suncorp is not the cheapest but I have found they have a not bullsh*t approach to repairs and a good sound policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kure69
25-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Racv was the cheapest for me at the time. I really didn't like youi's PDS. Aami have recently upgraded their software and it was the cheapest for my dad's Honda, even cheaper than bingel. Do an online quote and save an extra $100 with aami. But the golf is still more expensive for me with aami.

DV52
26-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Suggest you all have a read through this extensive thread on the subject in the Mk6 section:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/insurance-company-you-43286.html

AAMI gets very negative reviews from many, especially those who've had to claim and have a car repaired.

I'm with AAMI and I just got my renewal notice last week. The quote was $494. I'm a fairly old geezer with a diamond status (whatever that means). I haven't read the link that AdamD posted, but I've had a few occasions to make claims from AAMI (not my fault). My emphatic advice, for what it's worth, is that if you insure with AAMI, ALWAYS (and I repeat, always) take particular care with their repairs.

I have used their "Valet service" when repairs have been needed and in all cases, the third party repairer has quoted new parts, but has supplied patched-up old parts. I guess that this is common practice in the panel beating industry (whatever happened to honesty in business?).

Anyhow, I would have thought that one of the duties of AAMI's valet service would have been to check that what was delivered by the panel beater (that they chose), was what was quoted. Clearly my expectations have been greatly exaggerated! Whilst I'm not imputing any nefarious motives to the staff at AMMI, I have noticed when I have used the Valet service that there is a well honed relationship between the staff and the phalanx of panel beaters that seen to come and go in/out of the AAMI offices.

So, my advice (if you choose AAMI and you use their Valet service), is to always get a copy of the repairer's quote and always do your own inspection (to the degree that you can) to ensure that where new parts are specified, they are actually installed.

night_flight
02-03-2014, 02:28 AM
+ SGIC they let me choose my own repairer plus agreed value really good!

GeckoZAO
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm with RACV, cheapest for me, AAMI +300 and Allianz +700.
lots of friends also told me RACV is the easiest to deal with.

cox11
03-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Anyone using shannons?

brad
04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Anyone using shannons?

Have done on the previous car. Couldn't be bothered going through the gate keeper making an arbitrary decision on if you're a "car enthusiast" for this one.

VW Convert
04-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Have done on the previous car. Couldn't be bothered going through the gate keeper making an arbitrary decision on if you're a "car enthusiast" for this one.

I bombed out on the first question with Shannons......"Do you drive your car to work each day?" Answer "Yes" Reply, "sorry we are unable to insure your vehicle" blah blah blah!

Cheers

George

giveway
04-03-2014, 08:01 AM
I'm with Shannon's
Have both cars and home and contents. The polo went up a bit from NRMA but the BMW track day car went down and the home and contents stayed the same but with better coverage and excess.

Overall it is about $200 cheaper than everything with NRMA even with my licence suspension from 2010.
The polo is listed as the daily driver to and from work as well.

Besides the car enthusiast thing you need to be able to garage any cars you have. If you park on the street at night or the car is visible from the road it is an instant NO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

cox11
08-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Just came back from shannons. $1750!

zardoz
09-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I've always found that insurance companies are able to beat their "online discount" by giving them a call and negotiating further. This year, in my case, RACV are cheaper than AAMI but last year it was the other way around. The Golf 7 is also cheaper to insure than the Mark 6 even with less agreed value on the 6 for my situation (118TSI vs. 103TSI). I've found one change this time than previous years with regards to options on the vehicle; most companies now settle on an agreed value and claim that the insurance covers all options fitted to the vehicle. Guessing driver assist doesn't affect premiums...

The agreed value for a wagon maxes out at a few thousand below the cost of one that's fully optioned so I'll have to jump on the phone anyway to make sure that I'm not short changed when agreed value fails to cover the costs of my car... either that, or I have more negotiating power with my dealer than I previously thought!

cox11
12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Was ready to sign up with Allianz and then noticed they missed the leather off the quote. When I rang them to point out their error they said sorry you now have too many accessories and we can't insure your vehicle. WTF? I have a Mini Cooper s with $12k worth of extras and they insured that.

wasabiz
12-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Had a quote from RAC, they gave me $557/yr and I'm under 25

DV52
13-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Just came back from shannons. $1750!

Cox: They can't be serious - $1750!! Did you tell them that you didn't have the gold-plated mk7?

cox11
13-03-2014, 08:19 AM
DV52, obviously the 20" solid platinum rims put them off

Dutch77
14-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Was ready to sign up with Allianz..

I was getting a quote from Allianz online (at almost half the price the dealer quoted from the same company lol) but noticed they've stuck a new $2k theft excess on the GTI if it doesn't have a GPS tracker. That was never there when I had my pre-modded Mk6 with them a few years ago.

OilBurna
14-03-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm similar but with Volvo v40 T5r got same 2k theft excess and Allianz online was much cheaper than stealer

Dutch77
14-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm similar but with Volvo v40 T5r got same 2k theft excess and Allianz online was much cheaper than stealer

Proves how pointless comparisons are on a site like this though. When we bought the Polo last year the dealer price was about $40 more than the online price, but offered an extra year of new-for-old replacement so I figured I'd go the dealer route. Between drivers, locations, cars, time and, I suspect how much a litre of milk costs, it seems like everyone ends up with differing costs.

A GPS tracker kills the theft excess and knocks about $50 off the premium from memory. I'm not sure how good any of the GPS tracking companies are and their pricing - cheaper to either go with a slightly more expensive insurance option or wear the theft excess if the worst happens (could also factor into a higher agreed value I suppose).

Like a couple above I am looking at SGIC this time around as their quote was well under even Allianz who were solid last time around.

Mountainman
24-03-2014, 02:13 PM
$537 for my 90 TSI with Suncorp which includes choice of repairer, loan car, replacement windscreen and new replacement of the car if it is written off for the life that I own the car. Standard $600 excess. In 10 years time with 400,000km on it a big gum tree had better fall on it, preferably when I'm not in it. In other words if I stick with a Golf I should never have to pay for a new car again.......

brad
24-03-2014, 02:37 PM
$537 for my 90 TSI with Suncorp which includes choice of repairer, loan car, replacement windscreen and new replacement of the car if it is written off for the life that I own the car. Standard $600 excess. In 10 years time with 400,000km on it a big gum tree had better fall on it, preferably when I'm not in it. In other words if I stick with a Golf I should never have to pay for a new car again.......

What does the fine print for the new car replacement say? I seem to recall with other insurers new car replacement that if the exact same model wasn't available then you got paid out at market value.

Lemonskin
24-03-2014, 02:44 PM
$990 for comprehensive insurance with NRMA. That's for a brand new GTI, garaging in Cronulla, $650 excess, 28yo male with no incidents in 8 years. No windscreen replacement or car hire.

VW Convert
24-03-2014, 03:05 PM
$990 for comprehensive insurance with NRMA. That's for a brand new GTI, garaging in Cronulla, $650 excess, 28yo male with no incidents in 8 years. No windscreen replacement or car hire.

What agreed value?

Cheers

George

Lemonskin
24-03-2014, 05:16 PM
What agreed value?

Cheers

George

Firs two years, no agreed value as they just replace with a brand new car if it's written off in that period.

vk6tnc
25-03-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm doing the insurance quote game at the moment too. Trying to compare apples and apples is not easy. The only point of interest was Allianz... $2000 excess if car is stolen without a vehicle tracking device fitted, too many factory accessories ( over $5000) fitted for an online quote ????

Golf GTI without Leather Seats with everything else...

cox11
25-03-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm doing the insurance quote game at the moment too. Trying to compare apples and apples is not easy. The only point of interest was Allianz... $2000 excess if car is stolen without a vehicle tracking device fitted, too many factory accessories ( over $5000) fitted for an online quote ????

Golf GTI without Leather Seats with everything else...

I've been with Allianz for 4 years and have been very happy so I wanted to stay with them. They said the same thing, too many accessories for it to be insured. So I went to Vw insurance (agent for Allianz) they said the same thing.....wtf? I demanded to speak to their finance manager. He made it happen. Not the cheapest, but definitely the most comprehensive of covers. 3 year replacement at market value 1000/yr with $2k excess

Dutch77
25-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Gotta wonder how Allianz would handle a GTI 'highline' with all the options fitted if it was actually released as a straight model.

The $2k theft excess thing forced me to look elsewhere. Not that I've ever had a car stolen. Maybe if they stopped covering the idiots in their tv adverts who spill paint on the floor, knock over fish tanks or park jet skis on their car roof and instead realised car enthusiasts are decent insurance risk they wouldn't need to go down this route.

mp2811
25-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Just looked up AAMI $735 for 35 yo male in Rowville VIC for MK7 GTI PP. With $725 excess and hire car. Previously I had been quoted $1398 with CGU and almost $1500 with just cars.

wasabiz
25-04-2014, 01:03 AM
I got mine with RAC

23yr old male
$580/yr
$600 excess
no windscreen cover
54k agreed value

Mountainman
25-04-2014, 08:15 AM
What does the fine print for the new car replacement say? I seem to recall with other insurers new car replacement that if the exact same model wasn't available then you got paid out at market value.
Replacement with same or as close to same spec as possible. It's the base model golf manual with VW's 16" Toronto wheels off the Comfortline. I reckon VW will always be putting out a base model and I'll always have a range of VW wheels to choose from. Suncorp are the only ones doing it as far as I know and only with new cars. It only added $25 to my insurance quote. I was transferring from RACQ insurance. It will be interesting to see what the next renewal quote will be as to retain the deal I'm really locked into Suncorp. When I replace my 07 Forester XT with a Golf GTI I'm going to do the same deal. The base Golf is really for my wife.

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 09:44 AM
The $2k theft excess thing forced me to look elsewhere.

Worth checking out SGIC for SA people these days.. if I'm willing to cop a higher excess ($800) then their policy comes in at the grand sum of $395. And that's still with no claim bonus protection, two years new replacement, and various other extras that a few other companies weren't offering. And most importantly it includes legal modifications - most others weren't providing cover locally apart from Shannons and limited with RAA.

Compared to the $750 odd from Allianz (and the $1k+ VW/Allianz dealer quote), the $1k RAA quote and the $1k CGU quote we have a winner.

anduril
04-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Here are some comparison quotes that I've done on the Mk7 R (full options):

- NRMA (I've had roadside with them for 6 years now and prior car insurance was with them): $915
- AAMI (Current car insurer for 6 years): $1,250 :facepalm:
- Allianz: $1,160
- Bingle: $1,550!!!
- Suncorp: $1,300
- youi: $789 :banana:

All quotes are comprehensive on market value for 2 drivers (late 20's) listed, perfect driving history, and no extras (hired car, windscreen etc.), and youi's quote already includes hired car for a maximum of 14 days (on theft claims). Excess is $725

It's obviously worthwhile to shop around!!! Has anyone gotten anything better?

Dutch77
04-05-2014, 03:09 PM

As above, and Mk7 thread, $570 policy with $450 excess including options and any mods for an R.

My issue with the new sub brands like youi and Justcar is there insistence on using their repairers, as often this will not equate to where I'd want my car fixed, and with the right parts.

2browndogs
23-06-2014, 07:19 PM
I got a quote from Bingle today - ~$590 - $650 excess - no extras - For a new Mk7 GTI Leather Sunroof.
Both drivers +40 good history - not garaged either, in Beaumaris Vic.

Dutch77
23-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I think Bingle force you to use their repairers though? That's a big no-no as people have seen with other companies that do the same.

Their basic no mod policy is a killer too.

rudiger
23-06-2014, 08:13 PM
QBE anyone?

boardie_19
23-06-2014, 08:17 PM
New for old within a 24 or 36 month period.

This is only applicable to vehicles that have just been newly registered or are sold as a demonstrator vehicle.

There are conditions around when a vehicle is replaced under this condition. Naturally a vehicle needs to be deemed a total loss by the insurance company providing this feature on their policy. Your policy will come to an end no matter who is deemed 'at fault' and no refund is provided for the balance of the unused portion. In the event that you pay your premiums by the month, you will be required to pay out the balance of the policy term. The reason being is that when an insurance company replaces your vehicle or pays you out, then they are allowed to keep the years premium for that vehicle.

Upon deeming the vehicle a total loss, the insurance company will make the insured (customer) an offer to replace the vehicle and pay all of the on-road costs for the first 12 months in that customers state or territory.

If the customer accepts, the insurance company will then contact the manufacturer for stock availability. They will be searching for the exact same, make and model including all necessary options and paint type. In the case of the Golf, for customers with the standard or Comfortline models, this usually won't be an issue sourcing one... for customers with special vehicles with a host of options such as the Highline, GTI and R models, the search as a lot of people would know becomes harder.

The insurance company has 21 days to close off the claim. This means that once they deem the vehicle a total loss, they have 21 days to find you a replacement vehicle and put it on the road. If one is not available, you will then be paid out your agreed value or market value depending on the way you were insured. Your finance company is always paid out first, and the balance is transferred to the insured. Remember, your insurance company is not going to keep a claim open while you wait 3 months for a vehicle to be made available from abroad and supply you with a hire car (if you have this option on your policy) for the full duration of the wait. One of a insurance companies measures is how fast they open and close claims.

If you are insured for a market value but owe more then the insurance company is willing to pay based on the fair and reasonable value for your vehicle at the time of loss, as your contract with your finance provider will come to an end (your insurance company will notify them and the vehicle will be noted on a total loss registerer), you will have a short fall. Your gap insurance would cover this, if you do not have gap cover, then you will be liable for the difference straight away as there is no longer any 'security' on the loan.

One should never rely on the 'new for old' feature. This is a great one for a mainstreem vehicle that is readily available, but for any special vehicle, or one that is optioned, your best option is to always insure for an agreed value, to cover your financial committment.

Mountainman
23-06-2014, 11:54 PM
My new for old is for an unlimited time. As long as I own the car and it gets written off Suncorp replace with new. It only added $12 a year to the cost. Paid $537 with free windscreen, hire car and $600 excess. I don't reckon I'd have much trouble sourcing a base manual.

DeboDasAuto
24-06-2014, 10:38 AM
I still am amazed that I got comp insurance for my week old Comfortline DSG from NRMA for $242. I get a 17.5% multipolicy discount but this seems dirt cheap???

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 05:52 PM
I still am amazed that I got comp insurance for my week old Comfortline DSG from NRMA for $242. I get a 17.5% multipolicy discount but this seems dirt cheap???

'DeboDasAuto',

This seems like a fantastic rate for full comprehensive car insurance.

Question: were you previously insured for another vehicle with NRMA and traded in the vehicle? This figure sounds like a changeover figure. Its called a 'change of vehicle' where you change the vehicle on your policy a mid point (12 month contract). You then pay a pro-rata amount to cover the new risk (vehicle).

If this isn't the case and its a 12 month brand new policy... triple check they haven't accidentally sold you a third party policy. If its full comprehensive, then well done!

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 06:03 PM
My new for old is for an unlimited time. As long as I own the car and it gets written off Suncorp replace with new. It only added $12 a year to the cost. Paid $537 with free windscreen, hire car and $600 excess. I don't reckon I'd have much trouble sourcing a base manual.

Hi Mountainman,

This is a great feature of any policy.

Just be mindful of a few things. If you break coverage with Suncorp, i.e.: you insure with a competitor one year and then return to Suncorp, then you will not be able to take out this level of cover. It is actually a sneaky way to keep a customer insured with the brand. Actually quite a good marketing technique.

Also, when it comes time to replacing a vehicle for a customer under this condition, which is called the 'Comprehensive Advantages' level of cover, the insurance company will provide you with a new car which in their opnion is a smiliar make and model to your car.

In saying that, Golfs will be around forever, and sourcing a base model shouldn't prove to be to difficult.

Just make sure your agreed value is sufficient, because in the event a car can not be sourced in a reasonable time frame, you at least want to be financially compinsated for the correct amount.

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 06:08 PM

- NRMA (I've had roadside with them for 6 years now and prior car insurance was with them): $915
- AAMI (Current car insurer for 6 years): $1,250 :facepalm:
- Allianz: $1,160
- Bingle: $1,550!!!
- Suncorp: $1,300
- youi: $789 :banana:

All quotes are comprehensive on market value for 2 drivers (late 20's) listed, perfect driving history, and no extras (hired car, windscreen etc.), and youi's quote already includes hired car for a maximum of 14 days (on theft claims). Excess is $725

The pricing you have received is pretty good for an 'R' considering the performance of the vehicle.

I am currently with the NRMA, i hold a 'Comprehensive Plus' policy, giving me an agreed value of $45,400 (2014 103TSI Highline), an unlimited hire car for the full duration of any repairs, unlimited excess free glass claims including sunroof and tinting, choice of repairer, open driver policy with a $300 standard excess (i reduced this from $650). I live in the heart of Sydney... $892.40 (annual).

Never insurer for Market value.... extremely risky especially on an 'R'.

DeboDasAuto
24-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Hi Boardie - it is a comprehensive policy vehicle insured for market value - no changeover from another vehicle - seriously I still don't get it.

irossiter
24-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Anyone gone with VW insurance? I can't remember but they are underwritten by one of the big companies. Quoted just over $1000 for my PP GTI for $55,000 but they also have this rubbish "theft excess" of. $2000. C'mon guys!? Still looking around.

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi Boardie - it is a comprehensive policy vehicle insured for market value - no changeover from another vehicle - seriously I still don't get it.

DeboDasAuto,

Good for you... some people have monthly phone bills more than your insurance premium!

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Anyone gone with VW insurance? I can't remember but they are underwritten by one of the big companies. Quoted just over $1000 for my PP GTI for $55,000 but they also have this rubbish "theft excess" of. $2000. C'mon guys!? Still looking around.

Hi irossiter,

Volkswagen Insurance is underwritten by Allianz. I wouldn't worry to much about a $2,000 'theft excess'. No one steels cars these days and besides, they are to hard to knock off.

The premium seems quite good for that level of cover!

irossiter
24-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah it does seem to be a pretty reasonable package deal. They have a similar package to the Merc insurance with the A class. They were very good to deal with. Not that I've claimed though! Still need to beat VW down on extra 2 yrs warranty. They want $2300 from memory.

ACID
24-06-2014, 08:19 PM
^^ $2300 is lower than what I was quoted. I think they wanted approx $3k for the 2yr warranty.

boardie_19
24-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I secured the extra two years or Volkswagen extended warranty for $1850 as i ended up financing thru VW financial services. Apparently its discounted when you:

A. Take out the extra cover at time of vehicles delivery
B. Finance the whole or part of the vehicle thru VW financial services.

It was closer to $3K if i took it out within the three years of the warranty, after the vehicles delivery. Was a no brainer for me as i intend on keeping the vehicle for at least 5 years.

irossiter
24-06-2014, 10:32 PM
That's VERY interesting. Thanks boardie. The quote I was given was also with a quote for VW finance. I'm not picking up the GTI for a couple of weeks most likely while I try to sell my Merc privately. I'm even looking at insurance with them so they'll have to do better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dutch77
24-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah it does seem to be a pretty reasonable package deal. They have a similar package to the Merc insurance with the A class. They were very good to deal with. Not that I've claimed though! Still need to beat VW down on extra 2 yrs warranty. They want $2300 from memory.

As per earlier in this thread the VW policy is underwritten by Allianz and can be obtained for much less by organising it yourself. However either way they try and hit you for the $2k theft excess unless fitted with a tracking device - I didn't bother continuing with them. If someone wants the car it's easy enough to steal for those that know what they're doing and I'd rather keep my $2k.

I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty. It's just an insurance policy to bump up profits for Allianz and another good commission earner for the dealer. Some people have had wins on them, but being an insurance policy and not genuine warranty it's designed for the house to win, and plenty of people have had wins outside warranty period for the big ticket items in any case via goodwill gesture from VW.

Given Allianz in SA refuse to insure modified vehicles (although some interstate people have managed this) I dare say they'd walk if you tried touching your car as well - a lot quicker than VW ever will.

The best pricing seems to be by the ex government insurers - NRMA, SGIC AND SGIO (Insurance Australia) and Suncorp - with very cheap premiums, full coverage, choice of repairer and modifications allowed = win. Always worth checking at renewal time as what's good this year may not be good next year.

irossiter
24-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Very good advice. Thanks.

siu_loong_bao
25-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Yet to pick up my Golf R, but I have got some quotes:

VIC West Suburbs, 36 Male, Rating 1, $60k insured

Woolies = $1126 (excluding the $100 Gift Card Offer), excess $700
Coles = $955, excess $800 <----- Will probably ask them to beat the lowest quote
AAMI = $934.52, excess $720
RACV = $757.96, excess $625
GIO = $1005.41, excess $650
Budget Direct = $1422, excess $700
Just Cars = $1450+
Compare The Market = rubbish
YOUI = wanted to call me with their sales tactics (from past experience), so did not bother.

Clear winner is RACV. But with Coles, they have a Price Beat Policy - but not sure on the "saving".

Once I get a confirmed delivery time for the Golf R, I will then take out my insurance policy.

Edit: 1 more quote just done:
Allianz = $813.38, excess $850

boardie_19
25-06-2014, 05:57 PM
That's VERY interesting. Thanks boardie. The quote I was given was also with a quote for VW finance. I'm not picking up the GTI for a couple of weeks most likely while I try to sell my Merc privately. I'm even looking at insurance with them so they'll have to do better.

Just double checked the contract of sale, it was $1850 for the two years. I did my deal thru Barloworld Mascot, Sydney.

irossiter
25-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I've asked them to do better than the $2450 for 2 yrs and haven't heard back!

ian
02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I just received my insurance renewal for my 2009 Golf Diesel GT insured for $25,500 cost $933 its with GIO
So I went on line and GIO had a 20% discount going to attract new customers So after a heap of questions I got it for $700,77c
a saving of over $230 so always check if you are a new customer or an old one ?

Mountainman
03-07-2014, 09:26 AM
'DeboDasAuto',

This seems like a fantastic rate for full comprehensive car insurance.

Question: were you previously insured for another vehicle with NRMA and traded in the vehicle? This figure sounds like a changeover figure. Its called a 'change of vehicle' where you change the vehicle on your policy a mid point (12 month contract). You then pay a pro-rata amount to cover the new risk (vehicle).
NRMA did this to me a few years ago. Initial rate was fantastic but was followed up the next year by a huge increases. I just went back to my old insurer, RACQ, and picked up the $50 deal NRMA were offering at the time if they couldn't (or wouldn't) match the quote from your original insurer.

mgrobins
07-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I wanted to post some quick thoughts:

1. Do you want to choose your own repairer?
Suncorp have purchased 'SMART' repairers and will attempt to channel you to that repairer (That also goes for AAMI and any of the insurance companies Suncorp owns). The concept is great and what they sell to clients. Unfortunately in delivery SMART = crap work at absolute lowest $. A business with a rep for causing as much damage as they fix.

AAMI used to allow me to choose my repairer but now I have to do the running around myself and push quite firmly. In the end they look at your quotes and compare to one from their repairer. Lowest cost wins. Even with not at fault claims.

I have a small claim going with AAMI now and will be cancelling once it is resolved so I need to find who lets me choose repairer and who will give flexibility to vehicle changes later (eg exhaust or ECU alterations).

Any advice??

Shannons, GIO (I think) and Suncorp (I think) will allow you to choose your repairer and I'm quite certain they charge higher premium for it. Some BS about greater risk.... but it's purely about them vertically integrating insurance, non-OEM import and repair elements.

Lifetime guarantee with no agreement to return a vehicle to manufacturer specification. No agreement to use original parts (sometime even second hand used).

2. Some companies hold you to ransom longer for any at fault claim. AAMI is 3 yrs and Allianz is 4 for example. This is the higher premium you pay having made a claim.

3. Don't pay the lazy tax. No insurance company rewards loyalty. Each renewal period you should seek to leave their business and only stay if they offer better than the competition. You can easily save $100 by showing intent to leave.

lambertia
06-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

If you were wondering why there is no discount for the fancy safety features such as City Emergency Brake:

Insurance discounts for self-braking cars (http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/insurance-discounts-for-selfbraking-cars-20140806-101333.html)

I for one would be happy to provide them with my contract of sale to qualify for the discount.

Cheers,
--
Greg.

Dutch77
06-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Total cop out excuse, it wouldn't be hard to provide the evidence.

Having said that, with the discounts on offer I doubt my VW would still be on the road when I finally recouped the outlay.

Happy to keep braking as I've always done, and hope the dimwit behind me has spent the extra and doesn't run up the back of me. :)

Arnold
18-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Is there any evidence that insurers offer lower insurance premiums on cars equipped with the DAP?

For $1300, DAP seems to add a veritable trove of driver aids, notwithstanding the inclusion of the largely unnecessary Park Assist 2, and lower insurance premiums for DAP-equipped vehicles would seem to be in order.

Whatever the case, the $1300 DAP seems to be as much of a no-brainer for the Mark 7 Golf as the $500 reversing camera was for the Mark VI GTI/R.

readerr0r
18-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Is there any evidence that insurers offer lower insurance premiums on cars equipped with the DAP?

For $1300, DAP seems to add a veritable trove of driver aids, notwithstanding the inclusion of the largely unnecessary Park Assist 2, and lower insurance premiums for DAP-equipped vehicles would seem to be in order.

Whatever the case, the $1300 DAP seems to be as much of a no-brainer for the Mark 7 Golf as the $500 reversing camera was for the Mark VI GTI/R.

I think NRMA are the only insurance company in aus to actively recognise City Stop Braking, and that only if it's standard on the car. All the other insurance brands are taking the angle of "well it'll lower the accidents happening, and that'll show in our calculations sooner or later".

See here NRMA offers cheaper insurance for cars with AEB as standard | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/300811/nrma-offers-cheaper-insurance-for-cars-with-aeb-as-standard/)

Dutch77
18-08-2014, 10:54 PM
It was covered off in the insurance thread - they can't be bothered as it is to hard to deal with it unless fitted as standard.

Definitely not a no-brainer for me, happy to have pocketed $1,300 for stuff I won't use. Again each to their own.

As for having it standard and getting a worthwhile insurance saving - the insurance company would need to be paying me to warrant outlaying that sort of cash for the technology.

Arnold
19-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Unless you never use cruise control or drive in 50 km/h zones, how can you not use Adaptive Cruise Control or Collision avoidance technology?

What's $1300 for such useful technology on a $40k car that drops $4000 the second you drive it out of the showroom?

Dutch77
19-08-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't use cruise correct, but that's just me. I'm sure the tech is good for others, and that's fine - "each to their own". I prefer to control things directly and would not use it so it was a no-brainer for me not to pay for it. As a benefit the front of my car looks clean and uncluttered.

Better it drops $4k out the door than $5.3k. ;)

Arnold
19-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Yeah, but, as I said to the VW saleswoman yesterday, car purchases are growing more and more like computer purchases and as a result I always buy new to gain the latest technology and future-proof my purchase as much as possible.

For example, when I bought my Macbook Air in 2010, 2Gb RAM was standard, but I paid an extra $100 or $150 or something (after a short while you never remember the extra cost that might stop you at purchase time, just the benefits, including peace of mind, they bring) for an extra 2Gb of RAM to "future proof"my Macbook. Soon after, all Macbooks boasted 4Gb RAM and I was comforted to reflect that my $1500 Macbook, bought a year earlier, remained on a par in this regard, for a mere 10% extra.

As time goes by, more and more factory options become standard equipment, eg the RVC on the Mark VI GTI / R was a no-brainer. Some of the people who said they did not need one or would not use and would prefer to pocket the $500 later discovered retrofitting was a $1500 exercise. All will be at some degree of disadvantage in the used car market when they sell as more consumers expect such technology in later model cars.

Similarly, Driver Assist will be standard on Mark 8 Golfs but for $1300, such a useful factory option, that cannot be retrofitted, makes a wise investment in my opinion.

As far as cost goes, paying less than 3% extra on a GTI to add potentially life-saving technology (not necessarily your life) is, for the reasons outlined above (including that you would never feel or recall the extra cost after a few months let alone years), to me, a no-brainer.

But each to his own.

Dutch77
19-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I fall into the 'options are worthless on resale' camp, so do not spend on items I do not need. The only option I wanted this time around was DSG so I ticked the box, everything else held zero value to me. To others if they can justify the spend then good luck, there is no doubt an optioned GTI is a great car but for me it's pushed into R territory and I'd be inclined to jump into that instead.

The Apple example is different - if I knew I was buying a laptop to last a few years, and expected I'd need the extra power to run software in a year's time then sure, have it fitted. But a pointless option to me today, is pointless to me next year as well.

Not sure investing into something that depreciates to nil value falls into the wise category. ;)

Arnold
19-08-2014, 10:06 AM
All options, including DSG, are ultimately worthless but some use "magic technology" that make them worthwhile in a smile-inducing way.

Plus DAP is half the cost of DSG, and less than 3% of total cost of car (all of which depreciates to close to scrap value) and unlike the DSG, DAP does not rob you of pleasure or engagement!
:driver:

(Interesting review of 6MT vs DSG Mark 7 GTI by-and-large favours the 6MT, save for benefits of DSG in traffic for lazier drivers: Volkswagen Golf GTI gearbox comparison : Manual v DSG | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/297289/volkswagen-golf-gti-gearbox-comparison-manual-v-dsg/).)

A manual GTI with DAP for $43000 or an auto without DAP for $44200? Now that's a no-brainer!

Moonee
19-08-2014, 01:37 PM
A manual GTI with DAP for $43000 or an auto without DAP for $44200? Now that's a no-brainer!

Indeed.

I agree with comments that with all you get with DAP making it a bargain option, especially since it cannot be retrofitted.

AdamD
19-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Unless you never use cruise control or drive in 50 km/h zones, how can you not use Adaptive Cruise Control or Collision avoidance technology?

What's $1300 for such useful technology on a $40k car that drops $4000 the second you drive it out of the showroom?

I have to agree with Dutch77 on this one. I've ordered a new S3 and have not gone with the Assistance pack (essentially the same as the DAP, but with the addition of blind spot warning and lane guidance systems). I for one dislike the radar cruise control and far prefer the standard system where I manage the distance to the vehicle in front (and there is no ambiguity as to who's going to do the braking). I've used the system plenty in my father's Passat CC, and fully appreciate that some people love it. I'm not one of them.

I also spec my cars to suit me, and me alone. Buying a new car (short of a La Ferrari) is not a sensible financial decision and I'm not about to kid myself that any option I tick is going to be in any way financially prudent. I'm not going to spend money on options I don't want, in the hope that they'll be more desirable or valuable come resale time. Extra options will make a car more attractive to a wider range of second-hand buyers, but they're unlikely to make much of a difference to the ultimate sale price. So if you're prepared to take care of your car and take time selling it privately to the right buyer, then you're unlikely to suffer from omitting certain options. And just remember, if an option is of no value to you, it's highly likely it will be of no value to at least some future buyers as well - regardless of whether that option has become commonplace on new vehicles or not.

Ralfi
19-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Shocked to find out Shannons are now the most expensive insurer BY FAR.

They were hundreds of dollars cheaper than the next best for the Polo GTI.

Now, for the Golf GTI, they're a thousand dollars more expensive.....

RACV was cheapest (~$981, including similar benefits to Shannons). Will be signing up as vehicle pickup date approaches, & will most likely add their Home Insurance to it also, to get a further 10% off...

Dutch77
25-04-2015, 07:17 PM
I need to do the Victorian ring-around as well.

In SA Shannon's were always more expensive than most others, but they are mod-friendly. SGIC had my Mk7 GTI in Adelaide at agreed value with unlimited mods at barely $400 - don't think I'll be repeating that here, but don't think I can either - does IAG trade under anything else except CGU here?

hoffpenn
29-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Do any insurance companies offer a discount if you have Da2?
I have it down to $44 pm
Can I do better?

SkimR
29-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Not sure about the specifics on the insurance companies recognising as a safety feature. I read recently that a 'radar' safety feature that is standard vs an option may not be acknowledged as they cannot ensure all vehicles have the feature.
For your quote, is that your pm repayment? Or the discount you have been offered for the safety feature?
Insurance will obviously vary 90TSi vs Golf GTi

hoffpenn
29-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Just asking the question after watching Top gear youtube gti vii v m135 Clarkson saying the gti with forward camera has a lower insurance rating . After raising the exess i now have premium down to
$40pm

hoffpenn
29-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Here is the link https://youtu.be/3VwgvIqXg3A