PDA

View Full Version : Space Saver Wheel - Is my paranoia justified?

DV52
19-02-2014, 11:03 AM
I recently had need to lift the floor panel from the rear of my Golf (something I don't do often) and I noticed how snug the space saver wheel fitted into the car's boot well. I've had little experience with space saver wheels and I've read with some scepticism VW's claim (in the car manual) that they work as requied, when needed. That said, I'm not sure how the Golf will handle, or how safely the car would brake with the space saver fitted when travelling at 80kms/hr (I guess, fitted on the front of the car would be the most problematic). I assume that some aspects of the car's behaviour (like stopping distance) would be affected but I have no idea how impacting the compromise would be for the car's occupants.

Anyhow, solutions such as buying a full size tyre and wheel (from a wreckers rather than from our rapacious friends at VW) are academic if there is not enough space in the Golf's wheel well. Has anyone actually used a full size tyre as a spare in a mk7 Golf? If so, are there any consequences (like not being able to use the lower setting for the floor cover, or not being able to stow away the car-jack tools)?

If using a full size wheels is an viable option, I would welcome others views about my (small) paranoia for space saver spares. Are my suspicions justified, or do you simply recommend that I seek psychiatric help from a trained therapist?

dylan8
19-02-2014, 12:00 PM
There is a few restrictions to them I think.
For example to be used on the rear of the car, and 80km/h max speed.
As you said it wouldn't be the greatest thing to drive on, but to get you back home from down at the shops or stuck in the middle of no where to the nearest town it would come in handy and do the trick

elephino
19-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Space savers aren't the death traps some would have you believe. Yes, it is generally recommended not to fit it to a driving wheel (obviously impossible on a 4WD car). But the main thing to remember is that it is a temporary wheel designed to get you from where you have your flat to where you can get your flat replaced - not like some people I've seen do and drive about for a bit cos they couldn't be bothered replacing it as "it's a wheel, it works, aren't they all the same?"

They are a compromise as they are narrower, so have less grip and it creates an amount of imbalance with differing grip on each corner, plus the 80km/h restriction. So if you do ever fit it, drive carefully and allow bigger gaps to cars in front and generally take more care than you would otherwise. And most importantly, get the flat tyre fixed or replaced as soon as possible.

kl85
19-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I had a 18x8 spare steelie in my car when I bought my R 2nd hand, I could not for the life of me figure out why the boot floor was sunken in on the left and right sides towards the tail lights. Pain in the ass cause I carried a lot of stuff in the boot, went for service last week and asked my mechanic about it and he swapped it for a proper space saver and now the boot is flushed. The space saver is to tide you through for a few days till u change your blown tyre anyways

ajay1940
19-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I've driven on space savers, in the past, and can confirm that they are perfectly fine if you drive sensibly and remember that they are a compromise.

Diesel_vert
19-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I recently had need to lift the floor panel from the rear of my Golf (something I don't do often) and I noticed how snug the space saver wheel fitted into the car's boot well. I've had little experience with space saver wheels and I've read with some scepticism VW's claim (in the car manual) that they work as requied, when needed. That said, I'm not sure how the Golf will handle, or how safely the car would brake with the space saver fitted when travelling at 80kms/hr (I guess, fitted on the front of the car would be the most problematic). I assume that some aspects of the car's behaviour (like stopping distance) would be affected but I have no idea how impacting the compromise would be for the car's occupants.

Space savers are for temporary use only and stated as such on the tyre sidewall, hence the T in the tyre size designation T 125/70 R18 99M. You'd be surprised how many motorists are not aware of this.

Physics will obviously dictate that any vehicle without identical wheels and tyres on all axles will behave differently or less predictably, hence the speed restriction of 80 km/h (which applies for any spare tyre of a different size, space saver or otherwise), so vehicle and tyre manufacturers advise driving in a cautious manner until the standard tyre is refitted, which of course should be done as soon as is practicable.

If a driver takes all the above information into account while driving, then I don't really foresee any significant problems (aside from the inconvenience of being restricted to 80 km/h and driving more cautiously).

Anyhow, solutions such as buying a full size tyre and wheel (from a wreckers rather than from our rapacious friends at VW) are academic if there is not enough space in the Golf's wheel well. Has anyone actually used a full size tyre as a spare in a mk7 Golf? If so, are there any consequences (like not being able to use the lower setting for the floor cover, or not being able to stow away the car-jack tools)?

At home, you could measure the tyre width and estimate how far the floor cover would be raised to give you an idea how much boot space you'd lose (given that a Highline is fitted with 225/45 R17 tyres as standard, I'm guessing quite a lot).

ian
19-02-2014, 01:13 PM
This is what I did to my makk V

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/commodore04/Pictures701.jpg

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/commodore04/Pictures703.jpg

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/commodore04/Pictures697.jpg

If now tucked the mat down behind the rear seat looks original ,

readerr0r
19-02-2014, 02:05 PM
They're fine to drive on if they're on the non-drive wheel, plus you get roadside assist with VW so they can do it for you. My front wheel get a nasty egg on it and it was a rainy day, called up VW assit and RACQ guy came and put the good rear on the front and the space saver on the back. Drove pretty fine tbh, and the traction control would be able to balance out any nasty grip issues at those lower speeds with sensible driving.

DV52
19-02-2014, 05:02 PM
This is what I did to my makk V

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/commodore04/Pictures701.jpg

If now tucked the mat down behind the rear seat looks original ,

Ian, I'm finding it difficult to interpret your 1st pic. Looks like you made a false floor to fit-in the full sized wheel. Not sure if you are aware that the mkVII has two positions for the wheel well cover. I had assumed (perhaps even hoped) that the lower floor position on the mk7 would accomodate a full size spare. However, I've taken Diesel_vert's advice and measured the front wheel. I reckon that it would be a tight fit if it fits at all! Don't want to take off the wheel to confirm my suspicion. Would rather wait for someone who has actually put a full size wheel in the mk7 wheel well.

ian
19-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Ian, I'm finding it difficult to interpret your 1st pic. Looks like you made a false floor to fit-in the full sized wheel. Not sure if you are aware that the mkVII has two positions for the wheel well cover. I had assumed (perhaps even hoped) that the lower floor position on the mk7 would accomodate a full size spare. However, I've taken Diesel_vert's advice and measured the front wheel. I reckon that it would be a tight fit if it fits at all! Don't want to take off the wheel to confirm my suspicion. Would rather wait for someone who has actually put a full size wheel in the mk7 wheel well.

The full size wheel in my case a 225/45/17 is the same diameter as the space saver ,I just dropped it into the spare wheel well ,now because it was 80 mil higher I placed some foam around the out side and cut some MDF over the top to take any weight then I replaced the mat . You will more than likely find your space saver and your driving wheels are the same diameter .

you can buy a full size spare in the UK so it will fit
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/16-VW-Golf-Mark-7-2012-2014-Full-Size-Spare-Wheel-and-Kumho-Tyre-/360832893790

flight
19-02-2014, 09:17 PM
If using a full size wheels is an viable option, I would welcome others views about my (small) paranoia for space saver spares. Are my suspicions justified, or do you simply recommend that I seek psychiatric help from a trained therapist?

DV52 I drove a Golf V for 8 years with a skinny spare in the boot and never needed it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the spare also stayed inflated. If I were you, I would be happy to have a skinny spare and not have to cope with 4 run-flat tyres that you will find on other German cars. With the run-flats, Sod's law will dictate that punctures occur a long way from any place that sells such tyres and has one in stock in your hour of need.

midlifecrisis
19-02-2014, 09:17 PM
A dealer told me the 225 alloy will fit with a bit if plastic cutting away. I like the idea but no one seems to be selling stock highline wheels at a decent price. Only sets of four.

wai
19-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Ok, how many flat tyres have you had?

I drove some 30,00 km in my Mini (genuine one), and had just one flat tyre.

I drove some 350,000 km in my Torana, and had 2 flat tyres. As for tyre failures, my spare ruptured while in the boot! I've posted pictures somewhere here.

I drove some 130,000 km in my Toyota Hiace and had NO flat tyres. In fact, when I traded it in on my Caddy, the dealer was absolutely amazed I never had to ever remove the jack and toolkit from under the passenger's seat! He asked me about the toolkit and jack, and I told him it is still under the passenger's seat and It has to be everything as I have never had to remove it.

The reality is that in the main, you are rarely going to have a flat tyre, and this is why a spacesaver one is provided. Yes, it is speed limited. So what, they are perfectly OK as long as you keep within their limits. It will get you to a tyre repairer where the puncture will be fixed or you get a new tyre. Let's face it, you are not going to want to carry that normal wheel around as you won't be able to carry anything else.

Look at it this way. You are carrying around a lot less weight for that off chance you might need it.

midlifecrisis
19-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I've lost (close sidewall puncture) once a year for the last three years of my SUVs life. Builders/tradies dropping screws.

Its peace of mind, convienance and safety to have a full sized spare so I'm keen to see if an equitable solution can be found.

Diesel_vert
20-02-2014, 12:02 AM
The full size wheel in my case a 225/45/17 is the same diameter as the space saver ,I just dropped it into the spare wheel well ,now because it was 80 mil higher I placed some foam around the out side and cut some MDF over the top to take any weight then I replaced the mat . You will more than likely find your space saver and your driving wheels are the same diameter.

The diameter of any spare wheel and tyre assembly (space saver or otherwise) supplied by the factory should be very close, if not identical, to those fitted on vehicle's axles.

The issue lies with the width of the standard tyre.

If we assume a T 125/70 R18 99M tyre has a width of approximately 125 mm, and a 225/45 R17 91W tyre has a width of approximately 225 mm, then that is a protrusion of approximately 100 mm (give or take) into the boot area.

I don't know if a Mk7 Golf can accommodate that protrusion without raising the floor cover to its highest position (if at all):

A dealer told me the 225 alloy will fit with a bit if plastic cutting away. I like the idea but no one seems to be selling stock highline wheels at a decent price. Only sets of four.

you can buy a full size spare in the UK so it will fit
16" VW Golf Mark 7 2012 2014 Full Size Spare Wheel AND Kumho Tyre | eBay (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/16-VW-Golf-Mark-7-2012-2014-Full-Size-Spare-Wheel-and-Kumho-Tyre-/360832893790)

If full vehicle capability is desired when the spare wheel and tyre is fitted, they must be identical in size to those fitted on the vehicle's axles. If the vehicle is fitted with 225/45 R17 91W tyres, there is little point in purchasing a standard 195/65 R15 91H or 205/55 R16 91V tyre as a spare, as you'd still be inconvenienced by the 80 km/h limit due to the size difference.

This is all to do with maintaining the vehicle's dynamic integrity, rather than any limitation of the tyre itself (the space saver tyre has a speed symbol of M, which indicates a maximum speed of 130 km/h), as fitting a differently sized wheel and tyre assembly is akin to fitting a different spring and damper in only one corner.

midlifecrisis
20-02-2014, 05:31 AM
The floor must be raised to highest level in mk7 to fit full sized spare but I'm fine with that. Space for a torch and some odd bits and pieces.

tigger73
20-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Just to add my 2c.... If you're going to do any country driving then a full size spare is almost essential IMHO. Around the city you can get away with a space saver as the speeds/distances are generally lower anyway.

Also I seem to remember there was some distance limit with the space saver as to how far you could travel on one. I'd check the manual first and if you're likely to exceed the distance/speed restrictions of a space saver (or be greatly inconvenienced by it) then go for a full-size spare and make mods to the boot floor to accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoi polloi
20-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Space savers are for temporary use only and stated as such on the tyre sidewall, hence the T in the tyre size designation T 125/70 R18 99M. You'd be surprised how many motorists are not aware of this.

Is that a real size you've listed for the temporary? A speed rating of "M" is 130km/h... I thought most are 80km/h only...

-Anthony.

Eaglehawk
20-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Oh man...you mean it's always been an 80mph limit?

I'm pretty sure the yellow writing on the tyre wall overrides the code.

I've used the spare in my Golf MkV twice, but being in Canberra, you don't need a full size spare. If I drove to Sydney more often, then I'd get worried.

Diesel_vert
20-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Also I seem to remember there was some distance limit with the space saver as to how far you could travel on one. I'd check the manual first and if you're likely to exceed the distance/speed restrictions of a space saver (or be greatly inconvenienced by it) then go for a full-size spare and make mods to the boot floor to accommodate.

Run flat tyres that are completely deflated are restricted to speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) and a distance of 80 km (50 mi.), unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer. For instance, BMW states their vehicles can be driven up to a distance of between 50 km (30 mi.) and 250 km (150 mi.) depending on the vehicle load.

A T-type temporary spare tyre (space saver) is physically limited in driving distance only by its tread depth, like a standard tyre.

EDIT: Any temporary spare tyre (T-type or standard) should ideally be fitted on a non-driven axle. If it has a significantly different rolling circumference, and if it must be fitted on a driven axle for whatever reason, the driven distance should not exceed 200 km or 125 mi. in order to prevent damage to the vehicle's driveline.

Is that a real size you've listed for the temporary?

Yes.

A speed rating of "M" is 130km/h... I thought most are 80km/h only...

Space savers are limited to 80 km/h or 50 mph, irrespective of the tyre's maximum speed capability - this includes standard wheels and tyres of a different size to that fitted on the vehicle's axles.

Again, this is all to do with maintaining the vehicle's dynamic integrity and safety, rather than any limitation of the tyre itself.

130 km/h (80 mph) is the maximum speed capability (at 420 kPa or 60 psi) of most T-type temporary tyres.

That is absolutely correct.

adhock
26-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Looked in the back of a Mk 7 wagon (which with some trepidation we bought 20 minutes later). Looks to be enough height to drop a full size spare in without lifting the load area floor. VW quoted nearly $1000 for an alloy rim and tire, or about $250 for steel rim and cheap tire.

midlifecrisis
26-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Yeah it's pretty mad pricing.

wai
26-02-2014, 06:30 PM

I've used the spare in my Golf MkV twice, but being in Canberra, you don't need a full size spare. If I drove to Sydney more often, then I'd get worried.

I've driven between Sydney and Bendigo for the past 38 years (average of 3 times a year), and I have NEVER had a puncture during the trip. I have however had two punctures in Sydney after driving over debris. Once was when I drove over a small casting that had fallen off a truck, and the other time a nail. In both cases, I changed the tyre, went straight to a tyre service centre and had it fixed and swapped back with the spare.

Also, I think you meant an 80 km/h limit as with an 80 mph limit you would have absolutely no issue driving at legal speeds in Australia :-)

Mountainman
27-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Has anyone actually used a full size tyre as a spare in a mk7 Golf? If so, are there any consequences (like not being able to use the lower setting for the floor cover, or not being able to stow away the car-jack tools)?
I'm being lazy and haven't tried it myself so I'm just waiting for you or someone else with a mk7 Golf to take the time to try a swap with the spacesaver and one of your wheels to see if it does fit and assume that the cover will have to be in the raised position. I doubt whether even the narrower 205/55 16 wheel will fit under the lowered floor and there'd be even less chance of your wider 225/45 17 fitting.

DV52
27-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm being lazy and haven't tried it myself so I'm just waiting for you or someone else with a mk7 Golf to take the time to try a swap with the spacesaver and one of your wheels to see if it does fit and assume that the cover will have to be in the raised position. I doubt whether even the narrower 205/55 16 wheel will fit under the lowered floor and there'd be even less chance of your wider 225/45 17 fitting.

Mountainman: I'm being equally lazy and waiting for someone else to try a full tire. I've done some rough calculations based on my existing wheels and I reckon that a full size tyre will snuggly fit. But only with the floor fitted in the upper position. Lots of replies here seem to support the use of the space saver (within the limitations stated by the manufacturer). Still not sure if it's worth the hassle of changing. Might go down to the local wrecker and investigaste further (assuming that they have a tyre that fits).

ajay1940
27-02-2014, 10:13 AM
When I had my Mondeo, I bought a full size alloy spare from Bob Jane for around $250 with second hand tyre fitted. Never actually needed to use it, but it gave me piece of mind on long trips.

brad
27-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I've read with some scepticism VW's claim (in the car manual) that they work as requied, when needed. That said, I'm not sure how the Golf will handle, or how safely the car would brake with the space saver fitted when travelling at 80kms/hr (I guess, fitted on the front of the car would be the most problematic).
^^^^
If you'd read the manual properly you'd know that the space saver should only be fitted to the rear. Apologies if this has already been pointed out.

I had a space saver on my Mk3.5 Cabrio & it felt horrid when fitted to the rear. You could feel the difference in handling at 80kmh & braking efficiency definately would have been reduced.

On the front it would have felt like a death trap & I often look in amazement at those noobs that drive around for weeks with the space saver on the front (eg: my neighbour)

DV52
28-02-2014, 12:21 PM
^^^^
If you'd read the manual properly you'd know that the space saver should only be fitted to the rear. Apologies if this has already been pointed out.

I had a space saver on my Mk3.5 Cabrio & it felt horrid when fitted to the rear. You could feel the difference in handling at 80kmh & braking efficiency definately would have been reduced.

On the front it would have felt like a death trap & I often look in amazement at those noobs that drive around for weeks with the space saver on the front (eg: my neighbour)

Brad: I always enjoy reading posts on this forum (and on forums other than VWW). However, I reserve a particular delight reading retorts that are written with such obvious passion!

Leaving aside the veracity of your incisive observation regarding a possible deficiency in my literacy skills, you have identified perhaps the most compelling reason for not relying on a space saver spare. That is, the need to change multiple tyres when the front wheel is flat. Likely, this is not a big issue whilst the driver relies on road assist, but I suspect that it becomes more problematic for some folk after the warranty period lapses.

The other informative part of your post (for me at least) has been your introduction of the term "noob". I hadn't been aware of this word before but I have confirmed that it is a pejorative term meaning
"those who know little and have no will to learn any more (my underlining). They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own" - taken from Urban dictionary.com

You haven't included the first part of my post in your quote - the bit that says that "I've had little experience with space saver wheels". My current car is the first that has had a space saver spare so mercifully I've avoided (entirely through good fortune) the eternal abyss and the endless shame of falling into the "noob" category. Nevertheless, I will try to remember your words least I stray into "noob" territory in the future (i.e. if ever the front wheel on my Golf needs replacing)

Thanks again for your advice

brad
28-02-2014, 12:38 PM
I didn't know you were my neighbour :rolleyes:

You did say you'd read the manual, then you spoke of putting the SS on the front, therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that your comprehension wasn't 100%.

It's not that bad doing the multiple wheel swap thing as long as you are on flat , solid ground. If you go at it like a man possessed you can do the whole lot in about 15 minutes.

I think the best idea is to scan the forums, gumtree & ebay for a suitable set of wheels, buy 4, keep 1, sell the other three. There must be some way you guys can pre-coordinate the whole thing?

DV52
28-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I didn't know you were my neighbour :rolleyes:

You did say you'd read the manual, then you spoke of putting the SS on the front, therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that your comprehension wasn't 100%.

It's not that bad doing the multiple wheel swap thing as long as you are on flat , solid ground. If you go at it like a man possessed you can do the whole lot in about 15 minutes.

I think the best idea is to scan the forums, gumtree & ebay for a suitable set of wheels, buy 4, keep 1, sell the other three. There must be some way you guys can pre-coordinate the whole thing?

Brad: My secret is out -I have been peeking over the side fence for years now (you need to paint your guttering)! -Only joking

brad
28-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I know you are joking because my neighbour is too thick to be able to use a computer & post on a forum.

Gutterings fine, eaves are a disgrace.

darkfriend
28-02-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't know what the mark 7 boot is like, but I put a full-sized spare in my 118TSI mark 6. You can look in the mark 6 forum in the 'How to' thread or follow this link:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f55/full-sized-spare-golf-mark-vi-61311.html

DV52
28-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't know what the mark 7 boot is like, but I put a full-sized spare in my 118TSI mark 6. You can look in the mark 6 forum in the 'How to' thread or follow this link:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f55/full-sized-spare-golf-mark-vi-61311.html

Darkfriend. Had a squiz at your mods. Very neat indeed! It looks like you had to lift the floor position to accommodate the full size spare. The mk7 wheel well looks similar, but the boot floor has two positions. I'm hoping that I can just use the upper position, but it's not clear how thick you had to make the polystyrene sub-floor in your mod. Can you measure the distance from the bottom of the wheel well to the top of the polystyrene please so I can measure it on my car (please)

midlifecrisis
28-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Great pics. Need to get my mk7 and do some measuring

darkfriend
28-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Darkfriend. Had a squiz at your mods. Very neat indeed! It looks like you had to lift the floor position to accommodate the full size spare. The mk7 wheel well looks similar, but the boot floor has two positions. I'm hoping that I can just use the upper position, but it's not clear how thick you had to make the polystyrene sub-floor in your mod. Can you measure the distance from the bottom of the wheel well to the top of the polystyrene please so I can measure it on my car (please)

I think it mentions in that link during the description that the foam is 10cm thick. I've just checked it and it is! The total depth including the foam is 22cm. Hope that helps.

Mountainman
01-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I have just tried the 16" wheel with 205/55 tyre on my mk7 and it doesn't fit in the spare well, not because of height (even a 225/45 tyre would fit) but because it won't fit under the rear plastic panel that juts out in to spare well that the narrow spacesaver sits under. Also measured the weight of the spacesaver at exactly 14kg where as the 205/55 16 on Toronto alloy weighs 18.5kg new (and 18.2kg with 32,000km wear on the tyre). so if you get a flat the spare will be travelling on the hatch floor above the spare well. And it's no use buying a full size spare as it will never fit in the spare well unless you really want to butcher the rear plastic panel.

midlifecrisis
01-03-2014, 11:30 AM
I have just tried the 16" wheel with 205/55 tyre on my mk7 and it doesn't fit in the spare well, not because of height (even a 225/45 tyre would fit) but because it won't fit under the rear plastic panel that juts out in to spare well that the narrow spacesaver sits under. Also measured the weight of the spacesaver at exactly 14kg where as the 205/55 16 on Toronto alloy weighs 18.5kg new (and 18.2kg with 32,000km wear on the tyre). so if you get a flat the spare will be travelling on the hatch floor above the spare well. And it's no use buying a full size spare as it will never fit in the spare well unless you really want to butcher the rear plastic panel.

Yeah, dealer told me plastic will need to be trimmed to fit full sized spare. Then it should work.

DV52
02-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Yeah, dealer told me plastic will need to be trimmed to fit full sized spare. Then it should work.

midlifecrisis: I had hoped that I could simply drop a full size spare into the wheel well. I based my hopes on the following bit that I read from the manual. You can see that the extract comes from page 319 from manual. It talks about stowing away the "removed" wheel in the wheel well. No mention of needing to butcher the plastic return on the rear of the back panel. This is getting more difficult!

DV52
02-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Brad: Galvanised into action by your suggestion that I hone-up my literacy skills (only joking), I went back to the trusty (and voluminous) tome that VW calls the "Owner's manual". I do like literature that is based on the credo that too much information is never enough!

Anyhow, I'm the first to admit that my experience and knowledge of space saver wheels is amateurish at best, but I'm keen to understand any limitations in the technology so that I use the wheel properly (and as I said in my previous reply, so that I don't stray into the dreaded "nood" territory - only joking again).

I think that I need your help some more. I've tried to find the limitation that you mentioned in your post (about only using a space saver on the front wheel) in the manual, but alas my efforts have been unsuccessful. It's entirely possible that it's mentioned in some obscure part of the manual that I haven't yet found. It's also entirely possible that my literacy skills have been found yet again to be deficient (English is not my first language).

I have been able to find the "warning" section for using the space saver wheel which I have copied below (it's from page 320). As you will read, whilst much of what is said has already been included in others reply to this thread, there is no mention of the front wheel limitation.

Is your contention that "space saver should only be fitted to the rear" a preference, or is it a limitation?

RubAVeeDubDub
02-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I always wondered why people were so scared of space savers and then half the time they fit the cheapest tyres they can find to their wheels. Space savers are not the end of the world. They have been fitted to most of the cars of the last decade. Used by 10's of 1000s of drivers overseas without problems. They are TEMPORARY. Unless you're in the sticks, you can find a tyre shop pretty close by. If you do badly puncture a tyre and it can't be repaired then head off to your nearest wreckers and see if you can get a full size tyre for acheap.

Space savers will last fine if you use them responsibility. They are made for only about 50kms of usage.
I drove on a space saver rather briskly through the mountains and it held up fine. Wouldn't recommend doing it, but it won't send you spinning into a tree the minute you go over 80kms an hour.
Besides - how often do you get a puncture? I've been driving for 6 years and I only once needed to use a spare when I got distracted by a lovely lady walking past and smashed into a chicane.

If you're super concerned about a space saver and don't want to chop up your boot, then maybe consider getting a bottle of tyre foam. They basically fill the inside of the tyre with a foam and you can get where you need to. The ride quality is atrocious but far better than driving on a flat tyre and also expect some very unhappy tyre fitters who need to pick that crap off the wheel.

DV52
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I always wondered why people were so scared of space savers and then half the time they fit the cheapest tyres they can find to their wheels.

They are made for only about 50kms of usage............

RubAVeeDubDub: You make some very good points - thanks. Whilst this thread has the teaser "Is my paranoia justified", my real reason for starting it was so that I could get first and second information about these tires. I've learn't much from the replies (thanks again to those that have posted replies), but I'm still stuck on the question of the front wheel limitation.

It's a deal-breaker for me because, if true, there is a 50% chance that the driver of my car will need to change multiple tires if a flat occurs. Yes, this probability needs to be multiplied by the chance of a flat occuring in the first place. However, without the resource of road assist, I'm not entirely sure that some of the drivers of my car can manage this (safely).

I find it difficult to believe that the good Burghers at VW would equip a car as good as a Golf mk7 with such a limitation. But if these limitation are ideed true, I want to make the decision to keep,or not to keep the space saver based on information, rather than based on my current dubious understanding of the topic (which I agree is just uninformed bias).

adhock
02-03-2014, 11:24 AM
@ Mountainman: Not the case in the new wagons re plastic bits. Just a dirty great hole under the floor with skinny tyre at the bottom. Height is the only issue, and it looks to be deep enough to me. Just wish I'd been fast enough to suggest to dealer that he swap the full size 16" rim from the Mk6 wagon I traded (only a month's running on the tyre) for the new space saver as part of the changeover.

But one other thing - the Mk7 doesn't get the false flow / hidden compartment the mk6 had, even in highline form. Nuisance.

brad
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
B (about only using a space saver on the front wheel) in the manual,
Is your contention that "space saver should only be fitted to the rear" a preference, or is it a limitation?
Nothing about it in the Skoda manual either. I do recall it being in the manual for the 1998 Golf Cabrio I had. Maybe the "rules"have changed or maybe the Cabrio space saver was so ridiculously small. It was 80mm narrower than the tyres I had fitted but more importantly was significantly smaller in diameter.

Your call which end you put it on

They are made for only about 50kms of usage.

That's my daily 1-way commute.

Agree though - how many punctures do you get?

Diesel_vert
02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
I've tried to find the limitation that you mentioned in your post (about only using a space saver on the front wheel) in the manual, but alas my efforts have been unsuccessful.

I have been able to find the "warning" section for using the space saver wheel which I have copied below (it's from page 320). As you will read, whilst much of what is said has already been included in others reply to this thread, there is no mention of the front wheel limitation.

I refer you to point number 4:

Never drive further than 200 km with a temporary spare if it is fitted to the drive axle.

Your particular Golf has a front wheel drive configuration, so any temporary spare (T-type or standard) should be fitted on the rear axle.

This is to ensure the vehicle's drivetrain isn't damaged from differences, even small ones, in the tyre's rolling circumference.

It is also another reason why the 80 km/h (50 mph) speed limit exists.

It's a deal-breaker for me because, if true, there is a 50% chance that the driver of my car will need to change multiple tires if a flat occurs.

The driver will need to perform no more than two tyre changes if the flat or damaged tyre happens to be on the driven axle (think about it).

If the driver is capable of changing a flat tyre once, they can do it twice.

Space savers... are made for only about 50kms of usage.

That's not entirely accurate.

Like any standard tyre, the distance one can travel with a T-type temporary tyre is only limited by its tread depth.

However, compared to standard tyres, T-type temporary tyres may have a softer tread compound and often have reduced tread depth from new, so expect a nominal tread life of 3000 km - but again, like any tyre, treadwear depends on many variables.

On the other hand, runflat tyres that have been completely deflated are limited to a distance of 80 km (50 miles) at a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) unless otherwise specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Runflat tyres are not fitted as standard on any production Golf.

Looked in the back of a Mk 7 wagon (which with some trepidation we bought 20 minutes later). Looks to be enough height to drop a full size spare in without lifting the load area floor. VW quoted nearly $1000 for an alloy rim and tire, or about $250 for steel rim and cheap tire.

If your vehicle is fitted with 7.0 J x 17 ET 49 wheels on 225/45 R17 tyres (which it is, since it's a Highline) then you'll need the exact same wheel and tyre assembly if you prefer not to be limited to 80 km/h while driving on the spare.

Just wish I'd been fast enough to suggest to dealer that he swap the full size 16" rim from the Mk6 wagon I traded (only a month's running on the tyre) for the new space saver as part of the changeover.

You'd still have been limited to 80 km/h, because the wheel and tyre assembly is not the same size as those fitted on your vehicle's axle.

DV52
02-03-2014, 06:14 PM
I refer you to point number 4:

Your particular Golf has a front wheel drive configuration, so any temporary spare (T-type or standard) should be fitted on the rear axle.

This is to ensure the vehicle's drivetrain isn't damaged from differences, even small ones, in the tyre's rolling circumference.

It is also another reason why the 80 km/h (50 mph) speed limit exists.
.f

Diesel_vert: thanks for the clarification. But my point (admittadly not made with sufficient clarity) is that the manual doesn't prohibit use of the spare on the front tire. It only says that you ought travel a distance of no more than 200 kms (as you have correctly emphasised). My concern was that there was a sleeper clause in the manual somewhere that placed more debilitating restrictions on front tire use. If point four is the only restriction then within a 200 km range, the only need for two tire change should be if snow chains are fitted on the front (I think).

I'm also comforted by Brad's latest post - thanks to you both

adhock
02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
If your vehicle is fitted with 7.0 J x 17 ET 49 wheels on 225/45 R17 tyres (which it is, since it's a Highline) then you'll need the exact same wheel and tyre assembly if you prefer not to be limited to 80 km/h while driving on the spare.

Thanks. Point understood, even tho rolling radius should be the same. However, if I'm halfway between Geraldton and Carnarvon (490 km apart) or halfway across the Nullarbor (~2000 km between significant civilization - Ceduna and Kalgoorlie, another half day odd to Port Augusta), I'd really rather have a full size spare wheel that could get me further than Caiguna roadhouse, which isn't the centre of the universe despite what their bumper stickers say. Put otherwise, I shudder to think of the price of a 225/45 x 17 Pirelli in Mundrabilla or Billabong roadhouse, should they even have one.

Diesel_vert
02-03-2014, 10:05 PM
thanks for the clarification. But my point (admittadly not made with sufficient clarity) is that the manual doesn't prohibit use of the spare on the front tire. It only says that you ought travel a distance of no more than 200 kms (as you have correctly emphasised).

That is how I understand it, yes.

My concern was that there was a sleeper clause in the manual somewhere that placed more debilitating restrictions on front tire use.

It doesn't state the reason, but it's mostly to do with protecting the vehicle's drivetrain and/or differential.

Again, this has nothing to do with any limitations of a T-type temporary tyre. The same rationale would apply if you were to fit a non-matching standard tyre.

If point four is the only restriction then within a 200 km range, the only need for two tire change should be if snow chains are fitted on the front (I think).

In case the front tyre needs to be replaced with a temporary spare (T-type or standard) on a FWD vehicle:

Unmount the rear tyre first and mount the temporary spare in its place (first tyre change).

Unmount the busted front tyre and mount with the rear tyre that was just taken off (second tyre change).

Thanks. Point understood, even tho rolling radius should be the same.

The difference in rolling circumference figures may be relatively small (apart from the T 125/70 R16 tyre), but are enough to have significant effects on the drivetrain in the long term.

Standard tyres:

195/65 R15 91H - 1937 mm
205/55 R16 91V - 1928 mm
225/45 R17 91W - 1934 mm
225/40 R18 92Y - 1943 mm
225/35 R19 88Y - 1955 mm

T-type temporary tyres:

T 125/70 R16 96M - 1787 mm
T 125/70 R18 99M - 1943 mm

However, if I'm halfway between Geraldton and Carnarvon (490 km apart) or halfway across the Nullarbor (~2000 km between significant civilization - Ceduna and Kalgoorlie, another half day odd to Port Augusta), I'd really rather have a full size spare wheel that could get me further than Caiguna roadhouse, which isn't the centre of the universe despite what their bumper stickers say.

As you are probably already aware, travelling in remote areas takes a bit of thought and preparation. In such circumstances, carrying a matching spare wheel and tyre would be considered essential (amongst other items).

If I could help it, I too would not attempt to cover vast distances in remote areas without a matching spare wheel and tyre assembly.

I shudder to think of the price of a 225/45 x 17 Pirelli in Mundrabilla or Billabong roadhouse, should they even have one.

The tyre itself need not be of the same make, model, tread pattern, load index or speed symbol - only that it be of the same size (225/45 R17), be of the same construction type (radial), not have a lesser load index than the what has been approved for the size (91) and have a speed symbol of at least S (180 km/h).

wai
03-03-2014, 06:28 AM
...However, if I'm halfway between Geraldton and Carnarvon (490 km apart) or halfway across the Nullarbor (~2000 km between significant civilization - Ceduna and Kalgoorlie, another half day odd to Port Augusta)...

But would you be using a vehicle that would be supplied with a spacesaver spare wheel if you were there? Most there would not be using vehicles that would be supplied with a spacesaver spare or can of pressurised foam.

Where the vehicles we are talking about are used, this is generally not an issue.

Mountainman
03-03-2014, 08:05 AM
But would you be using a vehicle that would be supplied with a spacesaver spare wheel if you were there? Most there would not be using vehicles that would be supplied with a spacesaver spare or can of pressurised foam.

Where the vehicles we are talking about are used, this is generally not an issue.
You don't have to go too far out of the capital cities to find yourself isolated from any real car service at all. I travel west from Toowoomba often and on Sundays everything is closed down. Millmerran to Goondiwindi is 140km of nothing and outside working hours there will be no service to replace tyres. Continuing down the Newell H'way is much the same. I also use the Golf for interstate trips and after having crossed the Nullarbor a couple of times in my Forester as well as up the west coast to Shark Bay I really could not get myself to do it in the Golf without the security of knowing I had a standard replacement wheel and tyre with me. When leaving the Overlander Roadhouse way north of Geraldton I came across a poor guy in a new Alfa coupe with the spare spacesaver on limping slowly south and that made me determined to never end up in the same predicament. He had 300km to go to Geraldton where there was the first chance to replace the damaged tyre and had already done 150km. I hope he made it.

brad
03-03-2014, 09:31 AM

I would. I can't think of a better vehicle to cross The Nullabor with than my Octavia. It's a paved road all the way, the vehicle is comfortable, has excellant ground clearance, decent long travel suspension, cruise beautifully at 120kmh & gets <7L/100km & about 900km between fills.

There are plenty of other vehicles with RFTs & space savers that would do the job comfortably as well - better than some fuel gobbling SUV like my wife's Captiva which surprise, surprise has a spacesaver. I certainly wouldn't want to do the trip in a proper 4WD unless I intended going offroad.

Mountainman
03-03-2014, 12:14 PM
I would. I can't think of a better vehicle to cross The Nullabor with than my Octavia. It's a paved road all the way, the vehicle is comfortable, has excellant ground clearance, decent long travel suspension, cruise beautifully at 120kmh & gets <7L/100km & about 900km between fills.
I can - my Mk7 Golf. All the positives of the Octavia plus it's even quieter and it gets 5L/100km cruising on an indicated 115km/h. It does have the spacesaver spare but the only 2 flat tyres I've had in the last 25 years and more than 1 million km has been in my Forester on really rough outback gibber roads (and then I was lucky enough to find the only new spare of the correct size in Birdsville). You would have to be very unlucky to get a flat on the major h'ways like the Nullarbor, although back in 1976 I did pick up a nail near the Nullarbor Roadhouse and had the "joy" of doing a roadside change in over 40C summer heat.

brad
03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Suspension is a bit more suited on Octavia - tuned for lousy Czech roads

Diesel_vert
03-03-2014, 04:54 PM
When leaving the Overlander Roadhouse way north of Geraldton I came across a poor guy in a new Alfa coupe with the spare spacesaver on limping slowly south and that made me determined to never end up in the same predicament.

He had 300km to go to Geraldton where there was the first chance to replace the damaged tyre and had already done 150km.

I hope he made it.

You make it sound like he was being chased by Mick Taylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Creek_%28film%29).

Provided the temporary spare had sufficient tread depth, there's no reason why he wouldn't have made it.

The biggest issue for him would've been the boredom and tediousness of being limited to 80 km/h.

Idle
03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
I still can't understand why these things were ever legal — maybe it's because car companies can afford more political pressure than their customers?

Try and get a car past roadworthy with one (or perhaps four) of them on it...

I recently had to make a quite long run (including about 75K's of freeway @ 80K) on one — got tailgated, sworn at, chopped in on and generally abused and then, despite the damage being due to lack of road maintenance (major highway with more and larger potholes than you'd find in a third world country), had to pay for the replacement of a tyre with less than 400k on it.

Also got soaked to the skin changing the wheel.

Diesel_vert
03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
I still can't understand why these things were ever legal — maybe it's because car companies can afford more political pressure than their customers?

Many changes to the ADR have been a result of the harmonisation process with that of European vehicle regulations:

Harmonisation

The Australian Government’s policy is to harmonise the national vehicle safety standards with international regulations where possible and consideration is given to the adoption of the international regulations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). Australia is a signatory to the UNECE 1958 Agreement and the 1998 Agreement. The policy to harmonise is also important to fulfil World Trade Organisation and Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation commitments.

Source: Australian Design Rules (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/)

Thus, our regulations make allowances for the use of temporary spare tyres (T-type or standard) in emergencies.

Temporary spares are not meant to be installed and driven on for extended periods, irrespective of their tread life, and should be replaced with a matching wheel and tyre as soon as is practicable.

Try and get a car past roadworthy with one (or perhaps four) of them on it...

It won't (see above rationale). It is a requirement that all wheels and tyres fitted on an axle must be of the same size.

Though I love the idea of fitting four T-type temporary tyres and doing slides all over the place, haha!

I recently had to make a quite long run (including about 75K's of freeway @ 80K) on one — got tailgated, sworn at, chopped in on and generally abused and then, despite the damage being due to lack of road maintenance (major highway with more and larger potholes than you'd find in a third world country), had to pay for the replacement of a tyre with less than 400k on it.

I often see drivers dish out the same behaviour to any learner driver on a highway, even if they're in the left lane - just terrible. Whatever happened to courtesy and patience?

Having said that, if I had no choice but to drive at 80 km/h on such a busy motorway or highway, I would put the hazard lights on.

Also got soaked to the skin changing the wheel.

Well, look at it this way - you still would have got soaked even you had a matching spare.

brad
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Though I love the idea of fitting four T-type temporary tyres and doing slides all over the place, haha!

I present this:

http://youtu.be/HPh90yNX-mY

Diesel_vert
04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
You've made my day - absolutely brilliant!

I now know what I want for Christmas. :D

Eaglehawk
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
All the spares that everyone is replacing with full size spares? :)

Idle
04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Having said that, if I had no choice but to drive at 80 km/h on such a busy motorway or highway, I would put the hazard lights on.

(And get pulled over by the first copper that saw me...)

Well, look at it this way - you still would have got soaked even you had a matching spare.

Yes, I'd have still got wet, but I'd only have had to jack the car up once and change one wheel — the flat was on the right front.

Also had to drive a long way on the flat (it was wrecked anyway — split sidewall, and fortunately the "solid gold?" wheel survived) to find a safe place to pull off.

DV52
04-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I present this:

Brad: I agree with Deisal_Vert - brilliant Video! Is fun really better than speed? I had thought that for those who like their cars to slide around corners, fun eguals speed!

Anyhow, just one question. The space saver spares in the video were running at 60 PSI. Seems rather high. What's the accepted wisdom for pressures in these tyres?

wai
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes, the coefficient of friction is non-dimensional so it does not matter how wide your tyres are, you get exactly the same amount of grip. Also, in wet weather, you have a higher contact pressure so reducing the possibility of aquaplaning.

On, a narrow tyre will heat up more (but nothing to worry about in normal highway use), and it will wear quicker.

Many years ago, Alf Costanza raced in the Alfasud series and he went for the narrowest tyre permitted because it would heat up quicker in race conditions. He lost no grip at all.

Diesel_vert
05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Anyhow, just one question. The space saver spares in the video were running at 60 PSI. Seems rather high. What's the accepted wisdom for pressures in these tyres?

A tyre's load capacity is mostly determined by air pressure.

T-type temporary tyres are designed to be inflated and operate at 420 kPa (60 psi).

If the volume is small (T-type temporary tyre) and the load is high (passenger vehicle) then the pressure must also be high (420 kPa or 60 psi).

brad
05-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I think the recomended pressure for the space saver is on the fuel flap.

I just pump my spare up to 60 anyway - no matter what it is. Saves dissapointment when you go to put it on the car & it's flat.:facepalm:

midlifecrisis
22-06-2014, 06:50 PM
I finally put my full sized spare in. Just needed to razor out a bit of plastic.

Mountainman
22-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I just couldn't get myself to do that to mine.

DV52
23-06-2014, 11:00 AM
I finally put my full sized spare in. Just needed to razor out a bit of plastic.

midlifecrisis: Very impressive! Can you put back the boot floor thingy into the lowest position, or is the full size tire so large that you can only use the upper position?

midlifecrisis
23-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Floor is upper level only.

adhock
15-09-2014, 11:46 PM
This is a bit delayed, but hey, others may benefit also. Recently decided the time had come to get the full sized spare (thinking of driving outside the metro area, where 225x45/17 tyres may be scarce or expensive) and so rang around. We have space in the wheel well in the wagon - can't comment on hatches. Alloy 17" is $750 odd just for the wheel! Anyway, Wangara VW offered a 15" steel rim with tyre for $150, rolling radius 2 mm different from 17" rim and 225x45/17 tyre apparently. Recycled from bargain Golfs optioned up to alloys from tin rims, they say. Bargain if so. I'll find out how close the size is later this week, but other dealers should be the same if the solution works. Downside: didn't know this when wheeling, dealing and trying to deal for the purchase 6 months ago.

midlifecrisis
16-09-2014, 07:00 AM
I bought 4 alloys - most economical way to get my spare. I plan to sell 2 off. I was think $250 each to others who also want a full sized spare with the proper alloy for looks and full performance. Shipping extra. If anyone is interested private mail me.

brad
16-09-2014, 09:29 AM
This is a bit delayed, but hey, others may benefit also. Recently decided the time had come to get the full sized spare (thinking of driving outside the metro area, where 225x45/17 tyres may be scarce or expensive) and so rang around. We have space in the wheel well in the wagon - can't comment on hatches. Alloy 17" is $750 odd just for the wheel! Anyway, Wangara VW offered a 15" steel rim with tyre for $150, rolling radius 2 mm different from 17" rim and 225x45/17 tyre apparently. Recycled from bargain Golfs optioned up to alloys from tin rims, they say. Bargain if so. I'll find out how close the size is later this week, but other dealers should be the same if the solution works. Downside: didn't know this when wheeling, dealing and trying to deal for the purchase 6 months ago.
The 15" will still be regarded as a "temporary spare" and you'll be limited to 80kph. The tyre size will most likely be 195/60r15.

You're better off sourcing something (a whole set maybe) from ebay, gumtree or an AU based forum. It doesn't matter if the style of wheel doesn't match - it's the diameter, width & offset that matters. Just put a 2nd hand tyre on it.

225/45r17 is a really common size these days. 235/45r17 even more so (something to think about when replacement time comes)

Mountainman
16-09-2014, 09:58 AM
The 15" will still be regarded as a "temporary spare" and you'll be limited to 80kph. The tyre size will most likely be 195/60r15.
I think you'll find that is a 195/65 15 for the standard Golf size (been that way since the Mk5), which also keeps it to the same rolling circumference as the 205/55 16 (like I have optioned on my Golf) and the 225/45 17 on the Highline. I'm going to see if I can get a standard 16" steel wheel from a Jetta and run the 205/55 tyre that I have on the rest of the car. It has to be cheaper than the $680 Toronto 16" alloy that VW are asking. And I only intend taking it as an extra spare anyway when I do extended country driving. it still leaves enough room for our luggage and does give that extra peace of mind for not having to replace that tyre straight away.

brad
16-09-2014, 10:32 AM
I think you'll find that is a 195/65 15 for the standard Golf size (been that way since the Mk5), which also keeps it to the same rolling circumference as the 205/55 16 (like I have optioned on my Golf) and the 225/45 17 on the Highline. I'm going to see if I can get a standard 16" steel wheel from a Jetta and run the 205/55 tyre that I have on the rest of the car. It has to be cheaper than the $680 Toronto 16" alloy that VW are asking. And I only intend taking it as an extra spare anyway when I do extended country driving. it still leaves enough room for our luggage and does give that extra peace of mind for not having to replace that tyre straight away.

I'm sure you're right.

The Octavia had 16x6.5 alloys with 205/55r16. The spare is a 16x6.5 steel wheel with 205/55r16. It still has a big yellow sticker saying "Temporary Spare - Speed Limited 80kph". It's crazy.

I'd still be searching for a set of alloys - you'll only pay $300-$600 with tyres.

adhock
16-09-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm with Mountainman. Peace of mind when out of town, which the Spacesaver doesn't give. The tin rim will only go on the back, and it'd get me round until we get to a decent tyre dealer. Our previous mk 6 Golf had 16" alloys and a steel 16" spare, did a tyre round town (@#$% nails!) and the spare spent about a month on the back. No probs.

So a genuine VW rim with new Continental tyre for $150 suits me. Matching alloy would be nice, so would 17" rim and matching tyre, but not for the price. Maybe I can get a bit back for the spacesaver also....

Diesel_vert
17-09-2014, 10:24 AM
General summary:

For the purposes of roadworthiness, a vehicle is required to have a matching wheel and tyre assembly for any given axle. Specifically:

- All tyres must be of the same construction (e.g. radial) and size.

- All rims must be of the same diameter, offset, width and mounting configuration.

There is a provision in the regulations where the above requirement does not apply to a wheel and tyre assembly that is only intended to be used in an emergency as a temporary replacement under restricted driving conditions.

Thus, any non-matching wheel and tyre assembly fitted on a given axle, in respect to the above requirements, is to be considered a temporary spare.

When any temporary spare is fitted, vehicle manufacturers will ordinarily restrict the operating speed (usually 80 km/h or 50 mph), irrespective of the tyre's actual speed symbol.

Always be mindful when driving on a temporary spare of any kind, adopt a more cautious driving style and use common sense, even in the absence of a yellow warning sticker.

For reference, rolling circumference figures for various tyres:

Standard fitment tyres for the Mk7 Golf:
195/65 R15 91H - 1937 mm
205/55 R16 91V - 1928 mm
225/45 R17 91W - 1934 mm
225/40 R18 92Y - 1943 mm
225/35 R19 88Y - 1955 mm*

T-type temporary tyres:
T 125/70 R16 96M - 1787 mm
T 125/70 R18 99M - 1943 mm

Alternative tyres:
235/45 R17 94W - 1964 mm
235/40 R18 91W - 1967 mm
235/35 R19 91Y - 1973 mm**

*Except for the Golf R.
**Factory option for the Golf R.

The distance one may drive with a temporary spare fitted on a vehicle is limited by its tread depth - this includes T-type temporary tyres.

Tread life is difficult to predict, but I would expect to be able to cover a distance of approximately 3 000 km on an unused T-type temporary tyre before reaching its tread depth limit, provided it is inflated at the correct pressure (usually 420 kPa or 60 psi).

The only proviso is that, in the interests of preserving the drivetrain, Volkswagen states never to drive further than 200 km with a temporary spare if it is fitted to the drive axle.

Do note the small, but crucial differences in rolling circumference, even between 'equivalent' sizes - hence the warning by Volkswagen on temporary spares (or any non-matching tyre size) fitted on a driven axle.

The Octavia had 16x6.5 alloys with 205/55r16. The spare is a 16x6.5 steel wheel with 205/55r16. It still has a big yellow sticker saying "Temporary Spare - Speed Limited 80kph". It's crazy.

The steel rim may have a different offset to that of the alloy rims fitted on the vehicle.

If that is not the case and the steel rim matches the dimensions of the alloy rim, my best guess is that Skoda decided to place the yellow warning sticker on every temporary spare on the production line for the sake of simplicity, rather than determine which model had which wheel and tyre wheel assembly and place the sticker accordingly.