PDA

View Full Version : Details on cam belt change on 75B1

Midlife Crisis
18-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi Peoples

I am new here I have a 75 B1 4 door sedan which I bought 2 weeks ago, I am looking to get it rego'd so am doing work on it it is rust free and a runner just needs a tidy up and some loving.

It has sat in a garage for 2 years so apart of the normal plugs, leads and fuel lines we have redone the master cyd and the wheels cyd so now it down to the cam belt, can anyone give the basics on the marks for lineing up the cams before and when putting the new belt on.

Thanks heaps

marc

phaeton
19-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome to VWwA Marc j:

Please post pics of the Passat :)

Jmac
21-10-2007, 11:41 AM
No worries mate. There is a couple of little tricks when doing the Belt, so that you dont upset the ign tining. The dizzy is driven by an Aux shaft by the belt that runs at the same speed as the Cam. Firstly take off your dizzy cap. Turn the ngine over by hand till the rotor button faces number 1( should line up with a notch on the dizzy. Crankshaft pulley has a notch and there is also a gap in the gearbox bellhousing at the top. There is a ZERO on the flywheel. When at number 1 the middle of the zero should line up with the bellhousing. Some had a diamond cut out instead of a zero but same thing applies. When at one all this should line up and the Cam has a dot on the inside edge. This should be at the 8 oclock position on the back face . This lines up with the Cylinder head face( with the cover off and the gasket off) left face of the head. Now take you crank pulley off and covers off. When all lined up at Number 1 then mark the aux pulley with a nice white mark. (this is where the trick is). Change your belt. When fitting, before you put the belt onto the aux pulley white marks line up ,then turn the pulley a tooth to the left so the mark dont line up if you understand. Then fit the belt and tension till you can twist the longest part of the belt through 90 degrees.Now when you were tensioning the 2 white marks would now line up. Tensioning the belt moves the pulleys. When they move they now line up with no need to touch the dizzy. Any way if you have any dramas give a buzz on 0423965341. easier to talk than type mate.
Good luck

Midlife Crisis
24-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Jimmymac

thanks heaps that sounds pretty much the same as the subie I did.

I hope I don't sound to dumb with my questions but I like to make sure I understand what you are saying . I have been trying to get a manual for it with no luck until last night I bought one on ebay just waiting for it to arrive.

The first thing I have noticed is that the dot on the top cam is on the outside of the pulley at 8oclock so i think it has been put on around the wrong way.

If I read what you said right , is that once you have taken the rocker cover and casket of there is a mark on the left side of the head face that this dot should line up with?
Next. you wrote " When all lined up at Number 1 then mark the aux pulley with a nice white mark. (this is where the trick is). Change your belt. When fitting, before you put the belt onto the aux pulley white marks line up ,then turn the pulley a tooth to the left so the mark don't line up if you understand."

Once I mark the Aux pulley what else do I put the white mark on so the 2 marks line up. Do you mean that the notch on the crankshaft pulley and the white mark on the Aux pulley line up ?

I understand what you mean about the pulleys moving when to tension the belt nice trick

thanks heaps for the info.

My others cars are a 73 Type 3 VW fastback with a Kombi 2l engine, a 73 BAJA beetle with a worked EA81 subie motor with a 1600 kombi gearbos soon and a 74 Kombi which I got 3 weeks ago and it is in sad shape but it is my long term project.

Marc :D

Jmac
25-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Mate there will be a mark on the rear of the cam pulley too. You might be right about it being on the wrong way round mate anything is possible as it is keyed and not tapered. if in doubt you will have the rocker cover off and the cam lobes on number 1 will be facing up the way. Ok onto the white marks i wasnt too clear as its hard to write rather than tell. So ill try again. The Aux pulley at 1 ok. Then mark it any where you like on the pulley and the block then turn it clockwise about a tooth before you put the belt on then when tensioning it will line back up. Is that any better? If not mate feel free to ring 0423965341 more than happy to help champ.
Jimmy

Midlife Crisis
04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Howdy

thanks for all the help.

it is all done and running great.

thanks heaps.

Next is to work out why it is over heating. the fan is works fine the thermastat works we have done a radiator flush aswell as water pressure clean but still over heats .

So tomorrow I will take the top tank off the radiator and spike all the tubes

marc

Midlife Crisis
05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Quick update

top tank off radiator its not as bad as I thought it would be, but bad enough I just need to now find a flat bit of metal to use to push down the tubes to clean them out.

Marc

Jmac
05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Squeeze the rad hoses and have someone rev the engine . They should swell up , it they do that means the water pump is functioning ok. This is a quick and easy test. Also mate disconnect the heater core and join the hoses and see how you go. This is where the drama lies on these vehicles. You cant flush them enough. The little core is a bugger of a thing for blocking especially when they are old.
Cheers

Midlife Crisis
06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks Jimmymac
I will try your ideas once I put the radiator back in.

Never thought of the heater core good idea.
We have replaced the radiator hoses.
so will test the pump as you suggested.

thanks

marc