PDA

View Full Version : R36 LED Wing Mirror Puddle Lights Install with Pics

snerlo
18-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Well,
As promised, my next instalment in the LED upgrading of our R36 is upon us. This time around it is LED puddle lights. I purchased these from the following website ( 2X Error Free LED Side Mirror Puddle Light VW Golf 5 MK5 MKV Passat B6 Jetta EOS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200855480797?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) ). Now I was a little dubious in spending that sort of money but it actually was cheap compared to some ebay store prices. Now the install was pretty easy really. All you do is gently push the mirror forward towards the front of the car. It will let go and you will see the end of the puddle light along with a little torx screw. All you do is unscrew it and get a small flat head screw driver and pry open the light using the vertical edge closest to the front of the car. Be gentle and the light will pop out. The original light is a T10 bulb pushed into the housing. Simply pull the rubber stopper away from the light housing and you will see the T10 bulb sitting there in its housing. Simply remove bulb and push the end of the new LED assembly into the socket. Then push the wires into the mirror housing and push the LED assembly back into the mirror and replace the torx screw. Very easy mod. Probably took 3 minutes per side. The results are very impressive. I would say that the light output is about three times brighter than the standard yellow bulb and it is very white. If you wish not to install the LED's you could simply buy blue T10 bulbs and you would get a whiter light than standard but you won't get the light output. Anyhow, some pictures are attached and they really don't do it justice. Any questions, please ask.
Ps. Ignore the dirty car. Haven't had a chance to clean!

NickZ
21-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the detailed instructions and the links - I just picked up an r36 recently and this is a great help as I undergo a similar exercise on my car :)

snerlo
21-02-2014, 08:46 PM
No problems. Next installment will be rear number plate LED's. Will be interesting for that one

cru22z
25-02-2014, 10:25 AM
No problems. Next installment will be rear number plate LED's. Will be interesting for that one

got any pics on how to do it? like where you push the mirror and where the screws are to be removed from?

snerlo
25-02-2014, 11:24 AM
got any pics on how to do it? like where you push the mirror and where the screws are to be removed from?
Have you looked at my article. I think it is pretty detailed and there are pics!!

Ironman
01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Hey snerlo let me know when you do the tail lights. I need to do mine as well. We can do them together. 2 heads are better than one. Just ask all our Tasmanian Brethren.

snerlo
01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Check out my new thread mate

Netrover
15-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the guide Snerlo. Makes it a lot easier.

Puddle lights arrived today and were easy to install. Only problem was one of the wires had come loose so just re-soldered it.

Looks great.

passat123
15-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Don't know if anyone has tried yet.... Just wondering if this was to be done on a B7 Passat, would the whole mirror need to be removed? I've had a look at mine, looks like surgery!

2VWs
17-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Don't know if anyone has tried yet.... Just wondering if this was to be done on a B7 Passat, would the whole mirror need to be removed? I've had a look at mine, looks like surgery!

I have the same question. Also, is there a complication as the car has the lane assist option? Thanks for the good description above but our B7 looks different.

snerlo
18-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Sorry guys, I can't comment on the B7's as I haven't looked at one before. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere in the world

2VWs
18-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Snerlo. The US B7 has puddle lights from the doors. My guess is it is where Aust has the reflector insert in the door. The reflector part also curves below as well as on the inner face of the door. It would take a lot of effort to get these up and running. So it will be the mirror doors if I can discover how to do them.

brimway
19-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks, Snerlo. The US B7 has puddle lights from the doors. My guess is it is where Aust has the reflector insert in the door. The reflector part also curves below as well as on the inner face of the door. It would take a lot of effort to get these up and running. So it will be the mirror doors if I can discover how to do them.

Bold-Sport.com :: Door Warning Lights Housing (http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61)

snerlo
19-01-2015, 01:49 PM
I got ya now. Sorry to say, but that is totally useless if you ask me because you would walk into the puddle to open the door rather than trying to avoid it in the first place which is what the puddle lights are for. Obviously once you open the door and the light shines down, then you can see where you are standing but that all just seems a little bizarre to me!! Weird!

CaseySP
19-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I got ya now. Sorry to say, but that is totally useless if you ask me because you would walk into the puddle to open the door rather than trying to avoid it in the first place which is what the puddle lights are for. Obviously once you open the door and the light shines down, then you can see where you are standing but that all just seems a little bizarre to me!! Weird!

Those aren't puddle lights - they are just what they are called - door warning lights. Presumably to make it obvious to passing cars, bikes or pedestrians that the door is open. My old Mazda 626 Coupe in 1985 had them :cookie:

The B7 puddle lights are in the mirror - but located in the outboard "hinged" part and seemingly more integrated then the B6. They also look to be a different size/shape too.1405514056

passat123
22-01-2015, 03:00 PM
I found a walk-through/guide which shows it all somewhere online. They open the mirror housing and remove the glass etc.. doesn't look like its worth the effort to me.. Risk that the glass and clips holding the glass could break too!

seanmau5
24-01-2015, 12:09 PM
That looks like a super simple install! I did the puddle lamps on my CC a couple of weeks ago, be prepared to pull apart the entire side mirror assembly to replace them.

The B7 mirror posted above^^ has much the same design as my 09 CC so there is a good chance that the whole assembly needs to be dismantled for it. I'd be happy to assist anyone in Sydney wanting it done.

JRusit
14-11-2015, 08:42 PM
When pushing the mirror forward on the R36 does it damage the mirror in any way? Especially seeing as the mirrors electronically fold in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

snerlo
15-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Nah, you'll be right mate. Done mine a couple times and mine still works fine.

Screwdriverone
24-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Great article Snerlo. Helped me understand that the originals are T10. So I used my crap Supercheap LEDs in there and they work a treat. Not super bright but better than the yellow globes. This will do me now until I decide to buy the type you installed. It seems the puddles aren't canbus controlled or monitored as they come on without the key in. Good to know if like me you wasted some money on store bought T10 LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamold
24-04-2017, 10:10 AM
They are monitored by tbe door controllers so log a fault there.
But as they aren't monitored by the central electrics module this doesn't result in a bulb out warning in the instrument cluster.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Screwdriverone
24-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Oh, good to know K. So far they have kept working so that's more than I can say for the same globes in the parkers. Perhaps they aren't on long enough for them to be switched off like when mounted in the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snerlo
05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
I had the full LED panel style ones in the puddle lights but yes, they log in the faults list when you do a VCDS scan. One of them actually had a fault so I just replaced it with one of my T10 canbus LED's and it works great. Not quite as bright but cheaper to purchase replacement LED's. My parkers have lasted a reasonable anount of time but I think I will just use my normal style LED's next time one decides to give up the ghost.