PDA

View Full Version : Caddy Engine Transplant

Sharkie
12-02-2014, 09:44 AM
After some info here .......

Currently investigating the possibility of transplanting the drivetrain of a MK5 GTI manual into a Caddy. I believe the Caddy's used the MK5 chassis as a "donor" vehicle and many components are interchangeable.

Therefore in Jeremy Clarkson's infamous words .... "How hard can it be?"

Any ideas, suggestions etc ..... ? Idea on costs and time?

Intending a full transplant of engine & all electrics etc from a donor GTI to a high mileage MY08 1.6 manual Caddy Life .....

And then obviously tune the daylights out of it at the end .....

Turns out I still need a 7 seater but not a Multivan size car and the engines in a manual in the Caddy's just don't do it for me so this idea was born.

Transporter
12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
It should be relatively easy when you have both cars in the garage.
Time wise.... take 1 week off work. :)

Caddy
12-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Interesting.

psyone
12-02-2014, 07:52 PM
should go for r32 engine instead :D

jz_64_eh
12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Man, this would be an ultimate sleeper. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the project.

Sharkie
13-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Found an inspirational thread over in the UK. CR engine but still the concept looks OK.
http://vwcaddy.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t455.html

So, a few more questions ....

Anybody know what a 05-08 Mk5 5 GTI stat writeoff is worth? There is an 08 at pickles at the moment but that may be to dear?

Also, it appears that the cluster out of the MK5 will fit, questions is, how about the whole dash?

Sharkie
13-02-2014, 11:08 AM
should go for r32 engine instead :D

too much work involved in that and ultimately too slow for the $$$$

2.0TFSI is good for 240+kw with a K04 which will be plenty for a Caddy i think :)

psyone
13-02-2014, 06:59 PM
dont think golf dash fits the caddy. the cluster, i think it will fit but you wont be able to use the 2 buttons on it (to set time and what not) but if you got mfsw it wont matter. the only problem you'll have is codding another cluster to your caddy. for models before 2007 its easy, after that vw changed the immobiliser. i have a 2008 model and bought a touran high line cluster from germany, still cant code it in.
i have spoken to smartuki on another forum, caddy2k.com lots of caddy info there and its very active. he told me that gti engine and transmission is a very easy swap and it just bolt in, no mods required. i was thinkin of doing the same to my caddy. 1.6l petrol is way too weak for a work van. i need to change my rear brakes so i'll be going to camden gti shop and gonna talk to them about this conversion and the $$$$ involved.

Sharkie
13-02-2014, 08:34 PM
dont think golf dash fits the caddy. the cluster, i think it will fit but you wont be able to use the 2 buttons on it (to set time and what not) but if you got mfsw it wont matter. the only problem you'll have is codding another cluster to your caddy. for models before 2007 its easy, after that vw changed the immobiliser. i have a 2008 model and bought a touran high line cluster from germany, still cant code it in.
i have spoken to smartuki on another forum, caddy2k.com lots of caddy info there and its very active. he told me that gti engine and transmission is a very easy swap and it just bolt in, no mods required. i was thinkin of doing the same to my caddy. 1.6l petrol is way too weak for a work van. i need to change my rear brakes so i'll be going to camden gti shop and gonna talk to them about this conversion and the $$$$ involved.

If it happens I'm going to use all the electronics from the GTI including the immobiliser. Essentially the car will think its a GTI except it will be in a Caddy body.......

psyone
13-02-2014, 09:33 PM
ah true true. just gut the gti and fit it all into the caddy! would be interesting to know whats a wrecked gti would cost tho. probably at least 5k ?

psyone
17-02-2014, 05:14 PM
spoke to my mechanic about this today. looks like the hardest part will be the wiring.

Golf Loon
18-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Do the project. I'm keen.

Sharkie
19-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Do the project. I'm keen.

Are you volunteering your services, Loon ?

If so, I'm hoping its a greatly discounted rate just because you want to see a GTI Caddy :cool:

If you are keen I'll PM you to discuss options and scope of work you think will be necessary .....

Just missed out (not being logged on in time :facepalm:) on a Mk5 GTI donor at pickles on Friday ..... now to wait for another to pop up .....

Jmac
22-02-2014, 04:19 PM

If so, I'm hoping its a greatly discounted rate just because you want to see a GTI Caddy :cool:

If you are keen I'll PM you to discuss options and scope of work you think will be necessary .....

Just missed out (not being logged on in time :facepalm:) on a Mk5 GTI donor at pickles on Friday ..... now to wait for another to pop up .....

Anything is doable with knowledge and skill and time, time probably the hardest part.
Plenty of knowledge available on here :p
Jmac

Guy_H
24-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Seen it done - just takes a lot of time & some cash :)

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/caddy_van_at_launch.jpg

Sharkie
25-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Anything is doable with knowledge and skill and time, time probably the hardest part.
Plenty of knowledge available on here :p
Jmac

Let me know when you think you'll have the time needed Jimmy :)

Though it is dependent on on finding a suitable donor GTI .....

Jmac
25-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Be a fun one mate, I did know of a MK6 Gti engine and manual box, not sure if it got snapped up. It was in a wrecked one.

Golf Loon
26-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Yup I'm keen to see a GTI caddy. Beau built one in Queensland and it was tres rapid apparently.
We would need an entire GTI and a caddy and about a week I reckon.