PDA

View Full Version : Used Touaregs ... buying advice

DionM
17-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm in the process of researching a replacement for our other vehicle, an 01 Jeep Cherokee. We need a bigger 4WD than the Jeep. I've been looking at the usual suspects (Landcruiser etc) but have also widened the net to include Touaregs.

I seem to recall some owners having issues with early Touaregs, are they worth even considering or should I be careful of problems with the first-build units? We'd be looking at a base model, early model (i.e. secondhand) to get it into our price bracket.

phaeton
17-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Anything electrical, fully check ;) eg electric windows, headed seats etc etc

barefoot
17-10-2007, 11:22 PM
DionM,
VW had an enhancement program (voluntary recall) for all t'reg recently (check for the 90D7 sticker when you open the driver's door). It fixes pretty much almost all issues reported in early t'regs, eg airbag fault light, water pump in R5s, turbos in V10, dash for 'featured' (weird) trip computer etc. ALL new and revised/updated parts were used.

I'd say if you get one now you'd have a pretty solid car.

YMMV, but I just love my t'reg. I test drove everything under the sun and couldn't think of what I'd get next, and the 4x4 system is idiot proof (starting to think I'll keep it long term now). If you're worried about 'issues' buy extended warranty before the factory one runs out. I had the same worries on an ML, spent considerable money on extended warranty and never used it.

Now some bias opinion, if you go down the touareg path, get an R5, because:

They hold their value;
400nm of torque (as much as the V-eight), terrific for going up the Toowoomba range;
Rumoured to be bio-diesel tolerant as it's the same engine used in commercial vehicles overseas. In Brisbane you could probably run B10 without any mod, but in colder climes you might need heated fuel lines.
The engine has gear driven valve-train so no timing belt;
The cylinder block is a one piece plasma sprayed cylinder so the tolerance is like a blueprinted motor;
I regularly get over 1000km a tank and still 50ks to go;
Brake parts are cheaper than other variants and lasts longer;

But of course if the wallet stretches then an extra "0" after R5 would be the go :-).
Cheers

btw, I read that the LC200 is only just now getting an electronic torque split centre diff....t'reg always had it, and if you're really lucky some t'reg also had electronic locking rear diff as well.

dmm_au
18-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm seriously considering placing an order for a new TDV6 facelift model.
I test drove a R5 and TDV6 (2005/6) models.
The 3.0L engine certainly seems more responsive in the city, but the salesman pointed out, and I think he'd be right, that once underway there would be very little difference (ie Highway driving).

Good luck finding a R5 though.

Transporter
18-10-2007, 07:19 PM
That makes the two of us.
I've ordered V6 TDi and didn't even road tested R5.
I've R5 engine under the bonnet in my Transporter T5. I know that there is $10,000 difference between the two, but there is a lot of extras on V6 TDi compared to R5. So extra money is justified. Also R5 engine is the unit injector which blows a bit more of the black smoke. The earlier R5 had leaking water pumps and it is not an easy to replace the water pump on them. V6 TDi is common rail fuel system and it could mean better resale value in the future. I have no doubts that R 5 is a good engine and it must be very durable if the Dakar Touareg R5 engine with some 219kw of power last the race than under the normal driving conditions the engine with just 128kw should last for long long time. Also there is not belt at all on the engine to drive the accessories, so they use couplings to drive them and there is interval for replacing the elastic drive coupling and freewheel for alternator drive and air conditioning drive every 150,000km. So any buyer of the second hand R5 Touareg should check if they have been replaced.

bobzed57
19-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Hi guys

I have a 2005 R5 with the lux pack, so the difference between mine and the face lift V6TDI isn't all that great, engine notwithstanding ( I also have fog lamps which I noticed is an option in the face lift Treg). Also, I have a DPChip in my R5, so the power difference between my R5 and the V6TDI is also not as great. The R5 has no trouble towing my 1000kg+ Kanga Kamper.

My R5 is in the shop for the 90D7 work, and I have a V6FSI facelift loaner. The petrol engine seems more responsive, and the low down pulling power seems less despite the VW claimed 500nm of torque out of the FSI.

If you can find an R5, I'd recommend the lux pack, make sure the warranty work is done and buy an extended warranty.

For my money, there aren't enough differences between my R5 and the T2 to warrant an upgrade, but by the time the T3 comes around in a couple of years, I'll probably be ready.

If you go for a new V6TDi, get the air suspension option, you'll appreciate the extra clearance in the bush.

Cheers

Bob Z

dmm_au
19-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I couldn't find a dealer with a T2 with Air suspension to test drive.
While the air suspension was of interest, it seem uncommon.

I have read several reviews which claimed it didn't make for a pleasant ride, indeed Jeremy Clarkson in the topgear review makes a joke about kids in the back getting seasick and throwing up on you. As I say I haven't been able to verify this myself.

I think for the 'fire tracks' type if 4WD I expect to do the Air Suspension is not worth the extra cash. I think upgrading the tyres would probably make more difference.

Transporter
19-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I couldn't find a dealer with a T2 with Air suspension to test drive.
While the air suspension was of interest, it seem uncommon.

I have read several reviews which claimed it didn't make for a pleasant ride, indeed Jeremy Clarkson in the topgear review makes a joke about kids in the back getting seasick and throwing up on you. As I say I haven't been able to verify this myself.

I think for the 'fire tracks' type if 4WD I expect to do the Air Suspension is not worth the extra cash. I think upgrading the tyres would probably make more difference.

I couldn't agree more,
The air compressor doesn't have to last and for most of the situations standard ground clearance should be enough. At least for me.

bobzed57
19-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Having left a few bits of plastic on the fire trails of that ACT, all I can say is that you'll appreciate the extra clearance. I changed to Cooper ATRs in a higher profile and that certainly made a difference, but I'm still looking at a lift of about 40mm to give me the clearance I need, especially when deflating the tyres to improve traction.

Cheers

phaeton
19-10-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/007__scaled_600_018-1.jpg

VW's Touareg Expedition only had an extra 25mm so would a 40mm lift be too high Bob ???

Touareg Expedition Press Release - VWvortex (http://www.vwvortex.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=6&num=1127)

barefoot
19-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Also R5 engine is the unit injector which blows a bit more of the black smoke.

I think the V6 tdi has a particulate filter which also helps with containing the soot.
Cheers

bobzed57
20-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Ben

You may be right that 40mm is too high. I'm looking at something that will also cover the load on the towball caused by my camper trailer.

Love the expedition, wouldn't mind the winch. The Treg would look really blokey then ;)

phaeton
20-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Ben

You may be right that 40mm is too high. I'm looking at something that will also cover the load on the towball caused by my camper trailer.

Love the expedition, wouldn't mind the winch. The Treg would look really blokey then ;)

I don't know much about 4x4 lifts etc but if VW only did 25mm it must be for a reason ???? perhaps that huge roof rack j:

Maybe an extra 40mm won't hurt seeing as though the air suspension goes to 300mm ?

Have you talked to any pros about the lift ?

On the Expedition......

All the Aussie 4x4 mags wished the Expedition came here but unfortunately VW only sold it in Germany :(

Perhaps it may have helped lift sales here by showing those who don't believe the potential offroading strengths of the Touareg.

dmm_au
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Interesting thread to keep going. For those who own VWT's and those who hope to. I've now placed an order on a new TDv6, and looks like I best forget about it until March '08.

For those shopping, I have been running an alert on Carsales.com.au for 6 months or so.

My observations;
Diesels seem rare.
Generally speaking they always advertise for 50K+
I saw a 3.2L petrol first year model for 48K a while back.
The V8 model seems to come up regularly, the R5 rarely and the V6 diesel almost never.
I've never seen a Air-suspension model on anything other than the V10.
The rear tyre carrier showed up today for the first time.

In fact today a V6 diesel with the rear tyre, in black with the chrome pack and sioux leather interior was advertised for about 78K today in WA. Might be worth checking out. It claims to have air suspension, but from the interior photos, I'd say that's a mistake.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=4819607&current_rec=1&total_rec=2&sort_type=&alert_id=130624&make_id=15&model_id=4403&state_id=-1&search_distance=25&year_min=2005&engine_high=3000

Flipper Dog
01-11-2007, 06:06 PM
I think the salesman got a little bit carried away with the options list.
Looking at the photos attached there is no air suspension, or sun roof, dvd player, Sat Nav, roof rails, Bi-xenon lights, power tail gate (with a wheel carrier???), and why the space saver spare tyre. I would also guess that there is no memory pack at that price or rear air con but you can not see via the photos. Surprise they never included 19" wheelsj:

If I was back in WA I would love to take this ad to them and demand to see the vehicle as advistised or at lease a $10,000 discount.:D

Flipper Dog

dmm_au
05-11-2007, 08:49 AM
A 2004 R5 for $48K, with 80,000 KMs
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/show-car-details.do?vehicleId=NIMDDC013%3AE284&vehicleType=1

That doesn't sound like a bad price, although from the forums the 2004 has been a little troublesome. Still if it had the recall/enhancement work, it sounds like a good price for a good vehicle.

dmm_au
14-11-2007, 09:50 AM
2006 VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 7L MY05 R5 Luxury
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.member_private_vehicle?vehicle_id=4668 222&current_rec=2&total_rec=2&sort_type=&alert_id=21390&hash_id=962845438&make_id=15&model_id=4403&cs_trans_id=1&year_min=2005&engine_high=3000

This vehicle has been on the market for a little while now. I suspect it's priced too high, but may well be a good buy at the right price. Later models have fewer reported issues.

dmm_au
21-11-2007, 10:37 AM
2005 R5 for $50K
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/show-car-details.do?vehicleId=NIMBLLR11%3AUO6502&vehicleType=1

This might be worth a look, especially if it's had the recall.
It's done 84,848 kms. Is there a big service required at 100k or so?

p.s. If you find these postings annoying let me know, I don't intend to run a free advert for the car sales web pages!

REDMKVGTI
21-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Unless you actually need a 4WD, don't do it.

dmm_au
21-11-2007, 03:31 PM
I tend to agree, although some might be able to justfy the need for an AWD.
Perhaps someone who likes to go up to the snow fields or regularly drives on gravel roads?

barefoot
21-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Unless you actually need a 4WD, don't do it.
Actually, 4wd/awd is an amazing thing (especially in wet weather). It's a much more balanced & predictable car, even when skids or loss of traction has occurred. I would much rather have my family in a 50/50 torque split front/rear 4wd/awd than a fwd or rwd.
Cheers