PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out - intermittently

Yao
31-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi guys, after some advice here, if I may. Over the last few months I've experienced a problem with my MY12 Superb. On a couple of occasions I have started the car and started moving slowly forward only for the engine to cut out when I momentarily take my foot off the accelerator when making a turn. It's only happened at work when exiting the car park after work. First couple of times I thought I had accidentally done something wrong but I'm now convinced I'm not. When it happens, all the electrics still work and I've been able to re-start the car by simply putting the gear back in park. I'm worried it might happen somewhere in the middle of traffic which would be very dangerous.

A bit concerned it might be a portend for something more serious. Car's due for its 30k service early March and I plan to mention it to the dealers. I assume a fault would be logged for them to see?

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It's happened 4-5 times over the last 4 or so months.

Umai Naa!!
31-01-2014, 08:14 PM
What engine?

Had an MY12 118TSI Passat do a similar thing. It progressively got worse, to the point where it simply refused to restart. In the end, a new ECU fixed it.

Yao
31-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Same as yours, 118TSI. That doesn't sound good. Is it a known fault?

Umai Naa!!
31-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Not that I'm aware of.

Martin
02-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Maybe try a temporary replacement coil pack on number 3?
The Speedhunter can lend or sell you one

aslsw
06-02-2014, 02:00 AM
I had something similar happen in my vRS. It did happen in heavy traffic once but luckily on a downhill stretch where I could use the momentum to pull over. Stopped the car, back into P and restart with no problems.

I did report it in the final service before the warranty ran out but frankly I can't recall what they did to fix it - I do know that it stopped.

loz1304
07-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Also have a 118TSi. I have experienced the engine cutting out only when cold (ie just started) and after the car has been parked facing downhill - sounds strange but true (I live on a hill). Having it serviced next month and will ask the question. It has never cut out when on the flat, so it may not be related to your experience.