PDA

View Full Version : V8 TDI Turbo Lag Question

Rubberknuckle
31-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I am thinking of buying a V8 TDI R-Line, but there are none to test drive unless I drive the four hours to Sydney, or 5 hours to Brisbane.
Can somebody please tell me what the turbo lag is like? My Audi A5 with a 3.0L tdi has terrible lag unless I put it in Sport mode, which is a pain. The norm for the Audi is I can say 'one potato, two potato' after giving it say an inch of throttle, then it moves. At a roundabout, that is enough time for someone else to think I am not taking my right-of-way and move into the roundabout. It is incredibly frustrating and I do not want to go through this again with the next car.

Also, how does it turn-in at a corner or a roundabout? I am not thinking of driving it like an Audi TT, but it will need to change direction and I would prefer that happen with a minimum of body roll, opposite lock (:cookie:), or barge-like handling.

Darks RS
31-01-2014, 02:52 PM
in general TDI's have some sort of lag.. best to tune it out.

tigger73
31-01-2014, 03:31 PM
The other thing I've found to improve throttle response is a SprintBooster. There's people that can this product but they are mostly those that haven't driven a car with one fitted.

Guaranteed it doesn't make any more power but what it does do is help you get off the line a lot quicker. Also helps the auto (DSG in the Tiguan) kick down a gear when you want it - like when going around corners / exiting off round-abouts.

As for body roll of the R-line, you'd have to drive one yourself. Vehicle noise, handling and suspension are such personal preferences that it's best to experience them yourself to know whether it suits you or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gldgti
31-01-2014, 08:23 PM
The situation you describe regarding taking off at a roundabout sounds not like turbo lag at all, and more like dsg lag.

It might even be your style of driving causing you this problem - do you push hard on the brake when you are stopped? If you do, the DSG will shift to neutral. If you are only lightly on the brake (just holding from moving) then the gearbox will shift into gear, so that the application of the accelerator will cause you to move off just about immediately.

You will not experience turbo lag in any modern VAG TDI engine, that is of the order of seconds, unless there is something wrong.

Rubberknuckle
01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I did wonder if the DSG was the problem. Not sure if I push hard on the brake when I'm stopped; there would seem to be little point. I will do some style adjustment and assess the results. I'll come back with the results.

tigger73
01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Also DSG programming in "D" is to minimise fuel usage so it does stuff like taking off easy, short shifting up through the gears to keep revs under 2,000rpm and not dropping back gears until absolutely necessary.

The DSG will learn how you drive so it does need some more aggressive throttle inputs occasionally to remain responsive. Otherwise it will head down the "Eco" mode and you won't have the response on tap when you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

docjames
02-02-2014, 10:53 AM
No major lag issues with our V6 (180kw) MY14 model.

Big_Dave
20-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Have now put up 35,000 klm in the v8 TDI. awesome car.
Very little lag, only hesitation comes from gearbox which is not a DSG.
Remember this is a twin turbo so completely different feel to single tubo engines.
My Golf R has much more lag.
Very little body roll. goes around roundabouts very fast. Changes direction very quickly , due in part to the tyres.
Note you will need to replace the boots every 30k or so.
they are specifically designed for heavy SUV's and have a speed rating of 290 klm/h.
they are very soft and sticky, therefore the tradeoff with wear longevity.

Also you will go through brakes quite quickly.
Was advised at last service (33,000 klm) that there was only 2-3 mm left on pads. Quoted $1300 to replace pads, rotors and sensors by family mechanic, havent got quote from VW service yet.

Good news is my local tyre guy does the tyres for $550 each, which i think is reasonable. remember these are 21 inch rims.

docjames
22-07-2014, 10:15 PM
$550 a corner not too bad.

The 20s on mine (after a flat - thankfully repairable for $25) were quoted at an RRP of $700+.