PDA

View Full Version : Octavia - but which model?

DanSA
16-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi All.

Looks like im the first to post about actually buying one of these.. :)

We currently have a Golf TDi DSG which we love, but have been on the look out for a wagon to replace it for the kids/dog etc.. We also have a ****ter in the form of an unkillable Scooby which will be staying.

Previous ideas have included MY99 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ, Passat 1.8T Variant, Suby Lib GT and a new Passat TDi.

Now i see Skoda is launching the Octavia here, which may just be the ticket to replace Sooty whilst reatining most of the clever engineering that i love about the VW's.

Initiallly I had thought on keeping the same drive train 2.0 TDi DSG, as it has to be auto for the wifes back. We average 5.7L/100k and the torque is great on the freeway..

Now i see that they are launching the new 1.8T, but only in manual at this stage. Rumour has it that this will replace the 2.0NA soon and include the 6spd Auto.
So now im torn, as this would be a great combo too. and the extra cash saved could buy the heated seats (good for the cold hills mornings!)

Any thoughts?:???:

Sorry for the long first post!
Dan.

99gti
16-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome aboard DanSA. I'd stick with the TDi if your going to lugg around a heap of stuff just for the extra torque but then I'm not completly up on all the stats for the Skodas.

Good luck with your hunt.

DanSA
16-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Tru dat, such a shame we need an auto as the 2.0 TDi AWD with a 6spd man would be awesome..

phaeton
19-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Welcome to VWwA Dan j:

Hope you choose the Skoda that best suits your needs :D

How about the vRS Octavia j: ?

DanSA
21-10-2007, 02:16 PM
May still be an option , but not unless they add DSG later on. Plus I think id miss the 5.7L/100k we are getting from our 2.0TDI..:(

I think the 1.8TSi auto will be a good allrounder, anyone care to hazard a guess on economy?
The manual is 7.4L/100 so my bet would br around 8.1 with the tiptonic, 7.8 with DSG.

junior
22-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I have always been a fan of 4x4 wagons (my bias having owned many subaru's)
The Octavis 4x4 TDI takes my liking, had a good look at the the motor show, they appear to be well finished.

Good luck with the decision.

GoLfMan
22-10-2007, 12:33 PM
go the RS hands down j:
in all seriousness though i think i'd gop the Tdi, then chip it. :)

DanSA
25-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Update.
Maybe able to get a manual afterall, hmmmm this makes it interesting..

1.8TFSi would be the shrewd buy, then chip it down the track. However the AWD TDi 2.0 chipped to 350Nm would be a weapon.. :cool:

Anyone have a caravan? what model would you recommend? (future buy)

Lukev85
25-10-2007, 02:53 PM
I reckon the wagon.
\\

Saw them at the motor show on sunday. They are a very nice car.

Plicata
26-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I had a good look at them at the Motor Show. Very comfortable although hatch lacked rear headroom (most sedan / hatches I'm looking at do too). Not as bad as Jetta, though. Favourite option would be 2.0TDi wagon. Not sure about 4X4 because would like DSG.

Does anyone know if the Octavia DSG has steering wheel paddle shift like Golf GT?

DanSA
28-10-2007, 06:54 AM
I imagine it would follow VW example, ie DSG on petrol models will have steering wheel paddles, but not on diesel models.

The 4x4 wagon looks great in isolation, however im wondering if its pushing the envelope too far in value for money terms at $38,990 A Liberty 2.5i is 35k (all beit with less options, crap fuel economy and less torque)

Plicata
30-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Didn't realise they did that. Pity, I'd like paddles on 2.0 diesel. I suppose the extra torque makes them less useful.

Anyone know what demonstrators they have at Penrith or Parramatta?

Plicata
05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Went to Penrith yesterday. Drove a 2.0 TDi DSG wagon fresh off the boat (still had shipping codes and plastic trim protection etc). Very nice to drive, apart from very slow takeoff from standstill before turbo cuts in. Cloth seat was comfortable although I'd go for electric because manual height adjuster tips you forward, which I hate. Rode well over rough surface but firmer than I expected.

Also drove Golf GT sport TDi for comparison. In the short drive I did, couldn't pick a significant power difference (although I know there should be). Still had slow start from standstill. Guess I'm used to petrol. Probably get used to giving it more of a boot full for quick start. I suppose manual would be better but the DSG is good.

No steering wheel gear shift paddles on Octavia but Golf GT does have them on diesel model. Ride in the Golf (on 18" wheels) didn't really feel much firmer to me.

Also went to Burwood dealer. No demonstrators available. The guy reckons diesel service interval is 7,500 km and petrol 15,000. Recommended RS. Maybe I should try one just for comparison (but in Golf GTi or Jetta, to get DSG).

They're nice cars and definitely on my shortlist. Lack of dealers and unknown retained value are my main concern (long way to go to get a service or parts, from Wollongong).

DanSA
05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Good right up mate, cheers.

I had a look at some the other day that had just come in. They didnt have any of the 2 models im interested in yet tho , so no test drive. (1.8T and 2.0 TDi AWD wagons)

Was impressed by the car itself from sitting/looking in it. Some cheap short cuts compared to the Golf (DSG shift housing and indicators was cheap plastic) but otherwise impressed.:)
The stereo is that dot matrix display similar to the Golf, and it still looks pants in the Octavia too.. :(

What you mentioned about the TDi DSG take off is par for the course im afraid. Our Golf does the same, however you do get used to it after a while, a know when to pre load it or plan to take off before you need to. No biggy. Its ashame they dont come with Hill Assist electric brake like the Passats, as this gets rid of the slip you get when taking off on a slope.

We should compare prices soon if anyone else is getting serious.

Personally i wouldnt be too concerned re the newness of the brand, their attachment to VW is strong enough and all the base engineering is the same.

junior
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised that Burwood didn't have any demonstrators, poor considering the recent brand launch

Plicata
07-11-2007, 06:56 PM
It was after 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon, so maybe he just couldn't be bothered or thought I was a time waster.

DanSA
09-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Im still waiting for them to get any 1.8TFSi's in yet..:(

Our dealer here is a monopoly and is also the VW dealer. Thet basically converted the shed where they used to service the VW's into the 'showroom' It really does look like a poor cousin, which is a shame.

Plicata
26-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Went to Penrith again. They only had RS, 2.0 FSi or 1.9 TDi to test. Took RS out. Nice car to drive. Revved very freely and plenty of power without going anywhere near the redline. Ride was firm but not uncomfortable. Gear change ok but not especially slick. Didn't like square feeling of gear knob but I guess that's easy to change. I'm still leaning towards diesel because the power comes just where you need it and revvy engines don't interest me. Wish they were bringing in the UK spec vRS with 125Kw diesel. I suppose they will do if the brand is successful here. Was told that RS is about $43K OTR, so $46K with sunroof & satnav mentioned in another thread is a great deal.

Also drove Jetta TDi DSG over same roads. Preferred diesel (even 103Kw) and DSG. Ride was softer but still good.

DanSA
26-11-2007, 01:29 PM
103kW TDi is easy to chip to 125kw spec and will be cheaper i imagine.

No 4x4's there either then? :mad:

You'd think that if you where going to launch a brand youd have all the models to try wouldnt you... :???:

Plicata
26-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Not even a mention of the 4X4. I should have asked when the next shipment was due in. Apparently all the cars at the Motor Show were overseas spec, so they may not have got the 4X4 through ADR certification yet? I would go for 4X4 except I prefer DSG (apparently a lot of people asking about the RS want DSG). I'd think about chipping the 103 but you can't add the DPF :(

rodrocco
29-11-2007, 06:21 PM
The Skoda press cars arrived in Perth yesterday and I'm picking the Octavia up tomorrow. They are usually spect up, but all I know is that it's a diesel. The only ones I have seen in the flesh were the ones used as tyre cars on course during Rally Australia about 4 years ago. They looked quite nice then and they must have made improvements since. Some pics and a report may be here in a week or so.

CanberravRS
30-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Not even a mention of the 4X4. I should have asked when the next shipment was due in. Apparently all the cars at the Motor Show were overseas spec, so they may not have got the 4X4 through ADR certification yet? I would go for 4X4 except I prefer DSG (apparently a lot of people asking about the RS want DSG). I'd think about chipping the 103 but you can't add the DPF :(

I believe the next shipment is in March. If i missed the RS Wagon in blue that i am getting I would have to have waited till March/April. There where only 400 cars bought in on the first run. Supposively the TD RS will be here mid next year.

GRAZI
16-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Took delivery on Tuesday last and am absolutely stoked in the build quality and finish,just sold a 05 1.9tdi Golf,,,2 clutches ,new flywheel in 12 months.
The Skoda wagon is powered superbly with 2litre diesel,,but will still chip it just not sure which company to go for,,their are so many now doing after market upgrades. Would appreciate any experiences out there that people have had with VWs etc.
Rob
Skoda convert