PDA

View Full Version : Rearview Camera install (highline)

The_Hawk
29-01-2014, 04:57 PM
I had the pleasure of putting in a VW Amarok High line Rear Camera kit and an RNS510 that was sourced from Audi Upgrades today:
VW Amarok High line Rear Camera kit - 2H0907441 (http://jku.com.au/cameras/vw-amarok-high-line-rear-camera-kit-2h0907441.html)

I've done low line before, but never highline and never in an Amarok. I can confirm that the guidance lines move and all :D

The install itself is pretty straight forward, pop in the head unit, run the cables to the back and wire it up.

I'd looked at this little DIY here for those interested and am writing this mainly to confirm some of the steps which I thought weren't really covered well in one place:
Oem Reverse Camera | Volkswagen Amarok | VW Amarok Forum (http://www.vwamarokforum.net/threads/oem-reverse-camera.3339/)

Having to cut the plastic strip for the camera at the rear was a little unfortunate since my Dremel is currently out of action, but you can't see it unless you duck down for a close look.

The only stumbling block is the wiring since there is no wiring diagram included, but a call to Martin (at Audi Upgrades) has that sorted. The above walkthrough talks about the wires but I wasn't comfortable hooking them up until I confirmed 100% what was what.

There is four wires: Power (RED), Ground (BLACK) and Can + (ORANGE) and Can - (BROWN) to get hooked up. All of these get tapped behind the RNS/RCD510 and it's worth noting that the pin out is listed on the device anyway if you want to double check:

Pin 9 - CAN+ (Wire Orange/White)
Pin 10 - CAN- (Wire Brown/White)
Pin 12 - Ground (BROWN)
Pin 15 - +12v (YELLOW/RED)

Coding is a multi step process in VCDS:

1. First up you tell the CAN GATEWAY that the 6C reversing module exists.
2. You can then program that module with the new coding. This one was originally 8388607 but was coded to 0000017.
3. Then you go into the 10 Park/Steer Assist module and flick the switch on "Rear View Camera Installed".

BAM, you should be done and should have both RVC and Park sensors showing on a single screen with everything working nicely.

I'm sorry that I didn't grab pictures, it was hot and I just wanted it all over.

End to end it took my a few hours to get it all done including plenty of time trying to hunt down and confirm the wiring. With the right tools it's not all that hard to get it in there, but after doing another one paying the pros seems more and more tempting all the time :P

Sharkie
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Great write up Aaron, thanks. I'm thinking of doing this, however very concerned that a "plug and play" kit needs wiring connected other than through a plug !!

And btw these kits can be had for quite a bit less.

I couldn't be fussed with swiveling lines, just want to see behind so will likely only fit a fixed line unit.

The_Hawk
07-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Since all the wires can be spliced into the main connector on the RNS it's pretty easy to do. If you're not comfortable cutting, splicing and soldering wires you can cheat and use these:

Put both wires into the clip, and clamp down with a pair of pliers. Done.

With the low line you still need power, ground and sense wires so there is still three to be hooked up anyway, this is just one extra.

Tweeked
22-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks for this info... Helped greatly yesterday when I installed mine.

doggone
01-05-2014, 06:13 AM
hello The Hawke,
re the camera. I have the highline camera installed with an rns510 stereo..
recently I had something go wrong with the parking sensor module and it was replaced under warranty by the dealer.
Since then, the dealer has been unable to get the camera-view to come up automatically on the RNS510 when placed into reverse, unless a manual selection is touched on the screen.
Now, i put it into reverse, the vehicle overlay comes up on the screen with the parking the sensors display, i touch a button on the screen for the camera and then the rear view camera displays with the bendy lines.
I reckon its going to be a tick the box issue on the dealers laptop.....but they cant seem to do it.
i know nothing about this programming.
Can you point me in a direction where I might get some help with this.?

The_Hawk
01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
You can check out this thread here for people who might be able to help you out:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f20/vag-com-scanning-who-can-help-27504.html

goobags
02-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Check out an Amarok specific forum. Someone retrofitted a camera and has detailed how they got the sensors and camera to work together.

RVC Plus installed (http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showthread.php/3709-RVC-Plus-installed)

hello The Hawke,
re the camera. I have the highline camera installed with an rns510 stereo..
recently I had something go wrong with the parking sensor module and it was replaced under warranty by the dealer.
Since then, the dealer has been unable to get the camera-view to come up automatically on the RNS510 when placed into reverse, unless a manual selection is touched on the screen.
Now, i put it into reverse, the vehicle overlay comes up on the screen with the parking the sensors display, i touch a button on the screen for the camera and then the rear view camera displays with the bendy lines.
I reckon its going to be a tick the box issue on the dealers laptop.....but they cant seem to do it.
i know nothing about this programming.
Can you point me in a direction where I might get some help with this.?

Sharkie
02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I plan on doing a camera install soon. Ordered the unit yesterday, not a highline though. Will post details up afterwards as it seems a real cost-effective alternative ($100 camera made for the VW radio units) and commonly done by the guys at Ausamarok.

goobags
02-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I plan on doing a camera install soon. Ordered the unit yesterday, not a highline though. Will post details up afterwards as it seems a real cost-effective alternative ($100 camera made for the VW radio units) and commonly done by the guys at Ausamarok.

I put an OEM lowlife one in at it was pretty straight forward apart from the cable routing.

Where do you plan on running the cables? I'm looking at getting one of those $100 jobbies for my old man but want to run the cables in a better spot than what I did

vwjoe
28-07-2018, 06:50 AM
I had the pleasure of putting in a VW Amarok High line Rear Camera kit and an RNS510 that was sourced from Audi Upgrades today:
VW Amarok High line Rear Camera kit - 2H0907441 (http://jku.com.au/cameras/vw-amarok-high-line-rear-camera-kit-2h0907441.html)

I've done low line before, but never highline and never in an Amarok. I can confirm that the guidance lines move and all :D

The install itself is pretty straight forward, pop in the head unit, run the cables to the back and wire it up.

I'd looked at this little DIY here for those interested and am writing this mainly to confirm some of the steps which I thought weren't really covered well in one place:
Oem Reverse Camera | Volkswagen Amarok | VW Amarok Forum (http://www.vwamarokforum.net/threads/oem-reverse-camera.3339/)

Having to cut the plastic strip for the camera at the rear was a little unfortunate since my Dremel is currently out of action, but you can't see it unless you duck down for a close look.

The only stumbling block is the wiring since there is no wiring diagram included, but a call to Martin (at Audi Upgrades) has that sorted. The above walkthrough talks about the wires but I wasn't comfortable hooking them up until I confirmed 100% what was what.

There is four wires: Power (RED), Ground (BLACK) and Can + (ORANGE) and Can - (BROWN) to get hooked up. All of these get tapped behind the RNS/RCD510 and it's worth noting that the pin out is listed on the device anyway if you want to double check:

Pin 9 - CAN+ (Wire Orange/White)
Pin 10 - CAN- (Wire Brown/White)
Pin 12 - Ground (BROWN)
Pin 15 - +12v (YELLOW/RED)

Coding is a multi step process in VCDS:

1. First up you tell the CAN GATEWAY that the 6C reversing module exists.
2. You can then program that module with the new coding. This one was originally 8388607 but was coded to 0000017.
3. Then you go into the 10 Park/Steer Assist module and flick the switch on "Rear View Camera Installed".

BAM, you should be done and should have both RVC and Park sensors showing on a single screen with everything working nicely.

I'm sorry that I didn't grab pictures, it was hot and I just wanted it all over.

End to end it took my a few hours to get it all done including plenty of time trying to hunt down and confirm the wiring. With the right tools it's not all that hard to get it in there, but after doing another one paying the pros seems more and more tempting all the time :P

Hi,
I have bought a low line camera for my amarok from a company called cars equipment ( OEM RGB VW Amarok 2H0 - Rear View Camera for 199.00 € - Amarok (https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/amarok/oem-rgb-vw-amarok-2h0-rear/#prettyPhoto)[19377]/0/ ) who have a really professional site but there after sales service is a disgrace!! It came with no installation instructions or wiring diagram. They are almost impossible to communicate with and have given up. Is it possible to get some help how to install? There's 3 wires from the camera (yellow, red and black, but away from home so will have to double check colours) and I guess 2 have to be spliced into the plug for the head unit (RNS 315). Any help would be appreciated.