PDA

View Full Version : Noisy engine on startup - timing chains?

bigdukesix
24-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2009 CC from a chap in Adelaide. I am in NSW so I had it checked by Miro from MRL Automotive (great guy, very helpful). Anyway, he noticed that the engine was noisy on startup and was worried it was the timing chain or maybe just in need of an oil change. After a re-start the noise was gone.

Has anyone heard about timing chain problems with these cars? Can VW diagnose the problem without dropping the engine? Should I avoid this car?

Any help would be apreciated

enixsr
03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Mine's start up sound is noisy too. Don't think it's a problem. It settles down after about half a minute if not driven.

Great car. It's the gear box you should pay extra attention to.

Good luck

enixsr
03-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Just saw this post by Adam in the other thread.

"The DQ250 6-speed wet-clutch DSG in the CC is a much more reliable unit overall than the more problematic 7-speed dry-clutch DQ200 DSG that has been the subject of recent recalls."

brad
03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
It's probably just an oil change. My chain driven EA888 gets an initial chain noise that disapears almost immediately but after an oil change it's quiet for a fair while.

Miro is worth listening to

The One
08-02-2014, 05:31 PM
If it only does it on cold start ups then fine the next time you turn it on (when its warm etc) then it wont be the chain, the VR6 fitted to the Passat can have timing chain noise problems (seen 1 or 2) but they are only replaced when you can Constantly hear the rattle, on cold start its fine as the oil can sometimes take a little while to get to the head. A oil change wouldn't hurt as others have also said.

gandv
27-04-2015, 12:49 PM
If it only does it on cold start ups then fine the next time you turn it on (when its warm etc) then it wont be the chain, the VR6 fitted to the Passat can have timing chain noise problems (seen 1 or 2) but they are only replaced when you can Constantly hear the rattle, on cold start its fine as the oil can sometimes take a little while to get to the head. A oil change wouldn't hurt as others have also said.
Our V6 CC has almost always rattled when cold, new oil or not. Of course VW service couldn't hear it. Also I understand quite a few others have 'it' too, so I understood it to be fairly common...?? What it is??????

Umai Naa!!
27-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Most do it when cold, for about 10 seconds at most. Newer ones had a better chain tensioner on them, that didn't slacken the chain off when the oil bled down.

Worst one I've heard, took a good few minutes to quieten down.

Elmura
04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Here's the thing, if it is only noisey for ~10 seconds as others have said, no problem, it's normal as the oil gets to the hydraulic lifters, camshaft adjuster and timing chain tensioner. If it does not settle down, you have problems.

The best way to test if you have a timing chain guide wear issue is to restart a hot or even warm engine after letting it sit for a few mins. If it's noisey, you have this problem

It's an expensive repair requiring lots of labour. Allow ~$2000 to do it privately, ~$3500 via a dealer

This is only relevant to the V6 3.6L Passat / CC / R36 2005-10 as far as I'm aware. Though I have seen similar issues on earlier VR6 engines

3C4M Guy
18-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I own a 3.2L VR6 and my engine only got to 64,000km before the timing chains needed replacing (as well as the sprockets and tensioner). It was an expensive job! My understanding is that prior to the 3.2L VR6 that came out in 2005, previous engines had timing belts. Chains were supposed to avoid having to change the belt, but it did not work out that way because early examples of the 3.2L engine and possibly the 3.6L engine as well had chains that were not up to the job. They failed early, but VW did not do a campaign or recall on them.

At some time around the middle or towards the end of the B6 run of 2005 - 2010, VW redesigned the timing chains and gave them a new part number. The engines with the revised chains are supposedly better. That also goes for other parts of the engine that are prone to failure such as the camshaft adjusters.

Umai Naa!!
18-05-2015, 11:48 PM
All VR6 motors are chain driven. The V6s found in the Passat previously, were belt-driven.

Not sure if the chains were superceeded, but the tensioners definitely were.

Elmura
19-05-2015, 08:57 AM
At some time around the middle or towards the end of the B6 run of 2005 - 2010, VW redesigned the timing chains and gave them a new part number. The engines with the revised chains are supposedly better. That also goes for other parts of the engine that are prone to failure such as the camshaft adjusters.

I don't think the chain tensioners were revised during this period. I have an R36 (BWS engine) MY10 (late 09 build) that has the occasional dummy spit noise that won't go away until you drive it - even after a warm or hot restart. It may have occurred later than this.

The BWS engine in my MY12 CC (late 11 build) is quiet and smooth so I'm hoping that this will last several years that I plan on keeping it.

adiaudi
30-01-2016, 05:33 AM
The fact is that VW has improved chain slides and tensioners from 2008 models. Yes part numbers have been changed later on, in 2010 as far as I remember. My 3.2 has 140tkm on and sometimes is noisy for a few seconds after ignition. I'm going to replace it.

meeso
25-09-2019, 01:31 PM
This place is a waste of bloody time

Kaine
22-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Hi, I know this is a very old post. This describes the noise in my 2010 CC almost exactly. You sound like you have experienced this issue so I was hoping to engage with the forum in my efforts to learn more.. cheers

Sanity
27-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Hello Kaine
I just replaced my chains about 2 weeks ago.
I also replaced the high pressure fuel pump (expensive). I would be happy to answer questions you might have assuming your is a BWS engine

Elmura
27-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Hello Kaine
I just replaced my chains about 2 weeks ago.
I also replaced the high pressure fuel pump (expensive). I would be happy to answer questions you might have assuming your is a BWS engine

Hi. My CC BWS MY12 is at 130K kms without the noisey chain drama so I'm hoping it stays that way. But in case it does, what's it worth?

Sanity
27-08-2020, 06:27 PM
I got the chain kit for around $400 from Tooley imports. It came with chains guides and tensioners. I also got a rocker cover gasket from Imparts $85 I think then hire the timing plate for $58 One week rental.
The rest was heaps of labour, mine is an all wheel drive and getting drive shaft bolts to pull the powertrain out was hectic.
The whole job took 2 weeks but the actual work done to pull out powertrain and replace chains is probably 20hr (2.5) days. My car had a lot of issues including a smashed up radiator panel. I also did front suspension bushes.