PDA

View Full Version : Golf windows default UV rating / factory tint

notice
11-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know the UV rating of the standard Golf VII windows?

There is a low but noticeable factory tint and I do not feel like I'm burning in direct sun. However my research has not produced any actual data on the UV of the standard glass. The brochure indicates all new Golfs have some tint but does have any more details.

Edit:
According to VW:
The front screen has less than 1% uv penetration - ie blocks 99+% uv

The side windows and rear screen is rated at less than 31% uv penetration - ie blocks 69+% uv

Diesel_vert
11-01-2014, 01:25 PM
As with all modern vehicles, the windscreen is made from laminated glass, which will block at least 95% of UV radiation by design (more typically 97% to 98%).

Side and rear windows that are not made from laminated glass will otherwise be made from tempered glass. Depending on the presence of any tint or coat in the glass, its darkness, and the thickness of the glass itself, tempered glass will block from anywhere between 30% to 90% of UV radiation.

Laminated side and rear windows are uncommon and only tend to feature on more expensive cars.

Expect a typical automotive glass window on a modern European vehicle (i.e. tempered, with green tint) to block around 50% to 70% of UV radiation.

Many tinted window films or coatings on the market should block the transmission of UV radiation through any glass by >99%, depending on the product.

notice
11-01-2014, 01:37 PM
That's very helpful thank you very much.

It seems VW do not publish anything specific though. There's a big difference between 30 and 70% UV in Australia, both in terms of safety to children etc and car temperature. Anyway it seems the factory tint is reasonable. If anyone has any more detail that would be much appreciated.

Diesel_vert
11-01-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't know of any vehicle manufacturer that specifically mentions the UV light transmittance of its standard fitment windscreen, side or rear windows. Privacy glass might get a mention, as it's more marketable.

For precise figures, you could always try writing to VW directly, or failing that, you could try contacting the component supplier directly (Pilkington or Saint Gobain Sekurit).

In any case, unless the side and rear windows are laminated on a Mk7 Golf (which is unlikely), a tinted window film or coating would be the most cost-effective way to reduce the amount of solar radiation (ultraviolet, visible & infrared) from entering the cabin.

Many tints on the market will block transmission of >99% of UV light, but visible and infrared light transmission performance varies quite a lot, depending on the product (and price).

pologti18t
11-01-2014, 05:44 PM
The other point is that the factory privacy glass adds no significant UV protection.

mr gee
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Here

SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT Product - Product Details - Anti-Heat Glass (http://www.sekurit.com/en/index.asp?nav1=PR&nav2=VPD&id=366)

notice
12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Here

SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT Product - Product Details - Anti-Heat Glass (http://www.sekurit.com/en/index.asp?nav1=PR&nav2=VPD&id=366)

Do you know if this is the glass used in the MK VII? I will make some formal enquiries and post back. It seems crazy not to provide this information, though I suppose it helps dealers in selling tints. I'm very impressed with the standard glass so far. Thanks for the very informative posts.

wai
12-01-2014, 06:30 PM
If you are spending a lot of time in the car, then the best way to protect your arms is with a driving sleeve you can buy from the Cancer Council. It's around the $20 dollar mark. For your face and neck, a good sunscreen. I would not use a sunscreen with nano particles for various reasons, one of which is that if you touch the paint on the car with your hands covered with such sunscreen, the nano particles of your hand print will work its way through the paint surface and you will never be able to get rid of it without rubbing the contaminated paint away. Even here, many paint shops do not like doing it because there is always the possibility of the rubbed off pain containing nano particles ending up on another painted surface.

I know that roofing contractors are warned of this as they use a lot of sunscreen. Here you end up with hand prints showing up weeks after the roofing has been installed and they end up having to replace the sheeting.

brad
13-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Do you know if this is the glass used in the MK VII? I will make some formal enquiries and post back. It seems crazy not to provide this information, though I suppose it helps dealers in selling tints. I'm very impressed with the standard glass so far. Thanks for the very informative posts.

Why bother wasting time with enquiries when writing a letter makes no difference to what is fitted to the vehicle?

For $250 you can get the windows tinted with 99%UV blocking. Car will look better. Eyes will cope better from sun coming through the side windows, vehicle won't heat up as much. etc.

My wife's company drives don't come with aftermarket tint (Last 4 cars were top spec Captiva, Outback, CalaisV & Mondeo - yes, she has no taste:-) ) & & I find the factory tint lacking compared to aftermarket film.

Just do it. Cheap, legal, effective.

notice
13-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Why bother wasting time with enquiries when writing a letter makes no difference to what is fitted to the vehicle?

For $250 you can get the windows tinted with 99%UV blocking. Car will look better. Eyes will cope better from sun coming through the side windows, vehicle won't heat up as much. etc.

My wife's company drives don't come with aftermarket tint (Last 4 cars were top spec Captiva, Outback, CalaisV & Mondeo - yes, she has no taste:-) ) & & I find the factory tint lacking compared to aftermarket film.

Just do it. Cheap, legal, effective.

Interesting points but I disagree on a couple and think it's worth making an informed decision. If it already blocks UVB radiation it's a wasted $250. There are also risks associated with getting a bad job, and potential loss of visibility at night. Aesthetics are a matter of preference.

brad
13-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Interesting points but I disagree on a couple and think it's worth making an informed decision. If it already blocks UVB radiation it's a wasted $250. There are also risks associated with getting a bad job, and potential loss of visibility at night. Aesthetics are a matter of preference.

*If it only blocks 70% & you can take it to 99.9% then it's a good gain of ~45% for something that can kill you.

*My wife & kids can blow $250 on useless crap in the wink of an eye. At least a good tint job is on the car for many years and has more benefits than just aesthetics.

*My bought-new Barina was still perfect after 7 yrs. I had my Nissan Bluebird done at 12 months & it was perfect when I sold the car 8 yrs later. My Subaru was the same - looked as good when I sold it as when I had it done 3 yrs earlier (pity about the rest of the car). Current Skoda Octavia has been tinted since July 2008 & looks no different today.
*For the last few cars I use the same tint guy all the time - got his name from the forums. He uses good materials & knows what he's doing & charges a fair price & gives a realistic warranty. There's no risk IMO. I have no idea what those people with all the bubbles in their tint do - clean it with pure ammonia & a scotchbrite pad?

*The tint on our '98 Golf Cabrio looked like rubbish in 2008 when we sold it. I think it was some dealer fitment rubbish from the previous owner. It was that weird looking green tint that was really thick.

*I run 20%VLT. I'm 52, so my night vision should be stuffed by now but the tint doesn't cause a vision issue at night or in inclemant weather. Even the severly sloping back window of the Octavia sedan is fine. I'll get 30% on the next car in case I have sudden vision deterioration (it's only a matter of time). I do put both my windows down to reverse into my gartage but that's because the garage is like a cave. No issues in shopping centre carparks, etc.

wai
13-01-2014, 10:43 PM
The thing you need to remember is that blocking UV light will stop some of the sunburn. What is left is the infra-red, and that can still burn.

The only effective block is shade, so you need to find something that will give you shade but let you see through and be legal.

Jimi
14-01-2014, 08:10 AM
I thought infra red was just heat. Ie you can't get sunburn from it (only convention burn which the sun isn't hot enough to do)

Brad who do you use?

brad
14-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Rob Salvia - Hunters Hill Window Tinting - 0418 464 185

He's mobile so if you have a suitable space he can come to you.

I assume he's still in business. Haven't had need for him since he did the Octy in 2008. Just looking at the invoice - $264 for HPSupreme35

notice
21-01-2014, 03:56 PM
For your information I have received a response from VW.

The side windows and rear screen is rated at less than 31% uv penetration - ie blocks 69+% uv

Good to have the actual data. Saw a brand new Audi with cheap bubbly tint all over it this morning.

brad
22-01-2014, 08:55 AM
For your information I have received a response from VW.

Good to have the actual data. Saw a brand new Audi with cheap bubbly tint all over it this morning.

That would be because they've either got one of the cheap $110 tints that they advertise on talk-back radio / group buying sites or they've used a cleaner that isn't tint compatible like household grade windex.

Your hard data doesn't change the previous discussion.

Nobody suggested you get the front window tinted as tint film on the windscreen is illegal & your obviously risk averse (you can get it done "for off road use only" I've known a few private detectives that get their front windscreens tinted for surveillance uses).

The data on the side windows is what we all said - they don't block out 99+% of UV even if it is factory privacy glass.

Glad you have your hard data so that you can make an informed choice - there are more benefits to solar film than just UV blockage.

notice
22-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Glad you have your hard data so that you can make an informed choice - there are more benefits to solar film than just UV blockage.

Thanks mate. Yeah like I've said the aesthetics are a personal thing, I don't like limo tint on a golf, and there is a risk of bubbling. I'm no actuary but am guessing it's not insignificant. You clearly like your tint!

brad
22-01-2014, 02:18 PM
I wasn't talking about aesthetics or limo tint. Limo tint is 5% VLT (not my cup of tea either).

I'm talking about:
harder to break glass
glass is "contained" if it is broken
less fading of fabrics & cracking of plastics
interior stays cooler
AC doesn't have to work as hard
less glare

Exactly what is the risk of bubbling? The risk is there if you get a cheap & nasty job or you use incorrect cleaning chemicals. You can reduce the former risk by using a reputable tinter offerng a 10yr warranty & the latter is up to your own intelligence.

Hooley dooley, I thought I was risk averse (Virgo, OCD, anal retentive)