PDA

View Full Version : Tuning and Warranty

John Deere
14-10-2007, 03:10 PM
What I can do to my Golf GTI (MkV) in terms of mild tuning and how will it affect the warranty?

h100vw
14-10-2007, 03:24 PM
What I can do to my Golf GTI (MkV) in terms of mild tuning and how will it affect the warranty?

Nothing would obviously be VWs stance on the subject. However, I have yet to hear of someone running a chipped MK5 where something gave up that could directly be attributed to the chipping itself.

Fitting an exhaust probably won't get you any extra performance and an airfilter change would most likely just sound different.

VW would have all on to prove that either change caused something to break.

Gavin

phaeton
14-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Welcome to VWwA John Deere j:

I think the Oettinger pack is the only tuner recognized by VGA for 2yrs warranty.

Other than the above perhaps wait till warranty runs out if your worried about voiding your warranty :D

John Deere
14-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome and helpful info!

Excuse my ignorance but what is VGA?

The_Hawk
14-10-2007, 07:58 PM
VW would have all on to prove that either change caused something to break.

Well technically I think it would be the other way around since they have to fix your car. Since they can just say no and not cover it. If they say you have to pay, you agree, then try to doo a runner, you would be in the wrong. The best you could hope for in that situation would be to pay then try and recover your cash.

The best bet would be to work out what you want to do, then talk to the local VW place about what you want to do and ask them if they will cover the warranty if you do that or to what extent they will if not fully. For example they may say if you add a bigger turbo, they will cover everything but the engine. If at all possible it would be best to get it in writing.

As a suggestion, talk to the VW place, get a guy who says they will cover it to a point where you are happy. Get his email address, then send him an email after the fact thanking him for his time, then go into the full detail again asking him to confirm that the mods would NOT void the warranty. Since he has already spoken to you and said yes, hopefully a nice friendly thankyou, (with the question attached) will prompt and nice customer service respsonse of yes, that is correct :D ... keep the email till your warranty runs out.