PDA

View Full Version : Car revving during downshift

applegen
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Anyone experienced car revs during downshift while going downhill on a steep slope at slow speed?

My car revved this evening while downshifting as I was applying breaks. Felt weird and I can't describe it better.

I think I saw it changing from S to D3 even though I didn't put it in S at all.

Anyone know what's going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mummbles
08-12-2013, 05:51 PM
yep, mine downshifts when braking downhill also. I think it is a little aggressive in its downshifts too, often downshifting and causing revs to jump to around 3500 + rpm.
I would be happy if it did this when in sport mode, but for normal drive mode it is too much imo.
I wonder if this is something the dealer can tweak?

The One
08-12-2013, 07:04 PM
It's just engine braking, quite a good feature if you ask me, takes awhile to get used too but once your used to it you will never complain about it, especially when the speed limit is 60, you can't be arsed braking and there is a cash for grab at the bottom of the hill... Opps sorry, coppa.

Brew69
09-12-2013, 07:09 AM
This is normal. I love the feature. Saves your brakes.

Hillbilly
09-12-2013, 07:33 AM
If it didn't rev up when changing down it would stand on its nose.

Think about it, lower gear, more revs for same speed.

mummbles
09-12-2013, 07:33 AM
as I said, I don't mind what they are trying to do here, but on a steep grade hill it just pegs back far too early to lower gears causing too many revs.
Perhaps its because I've come from 6's and 8's, but 3500rpm + just seems too high for no good reason.

Ryan_R
09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
There's no problem with it revving that amount. If you don't like it then push the gear lever sideways then up (manual mode).

AdamD
09-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Perhaps its because I've come from 6's and 8's, but 3500rpm + just seems too high for no good reason.

It's high for a very good reason - to retard the car when it's on a downhill slope and you've touched the brakes indicating you want to slow down.

The DSG will take into account road speed, brake pressure, and the angle of inclination when deciding whether to downshift; if you don't like it, just very lightly touch the accelerator and it'll immediately drop into a higher gear.

applegen
09-12-2013, 11:51 AM
It's high for a very good reason - to retard the car when it's on a downhill slope and you've touched the brakes indicating you want to slow down.

The DSG will take into account road speed, brake pressure, and the angle of inclination when deciding whether to downshift; if you don't like it, just very lightly touch the accelerator and it'll immediately drop into a higher gear.

thank you everyone for your feedback. glad to know its a safety feature. just need getting used to.

mummbles
09-12-2013, 06:47 PM
There's no problem with it revving that amount. If you don't like it then push the gear lever sideways then up (manual mode).
That's what I do for the big hill i drive down first thing in the morning when the engine is still cold.

if you don't like it, just very lightly touch the accelerator and it'll immediately drop into a higher gear.
Yes indeed it will upshift again, although it isn't immediate.

I guess its something I'll get used to :)

Kevin87
27-12-2013, 10:46 AM
It's a great little feature - our first dsg car and I think it's fantastic definitely good for the drive to the coast from Canberra down the Clyde mountain!