PDA

View Full Version : Radar / Adaptive Cruise / Emergency Brake - Questions and Issues

DP Vic
05-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi fellow golf enthusiasts,

I am wondering if the dealer has buggered up with the front radar on my Golf. I have seen pics of overseas models where it looks like glass is visibleNew Style Radar - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064), where as with mine, looks like plastic is still covering it??

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dan

Alex31
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Not 100% but I think you may have been shafted

AndrewBurns
06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Does it work? I mean if the features that use the radar work (adaptive cruise) then I guess it's good?

pologti18t
06-12-2013, 10:56 PM
you need to be careful washing them apparently. you can't jet wash the front of the radar panel........

caeci11ius
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Mine has a round dome there. Radar works in mine. Should be easy to test though...just get behind another car, set the cruise (suggest using the longest follow distance) and see if it brakes with the guy in front. Of course you'll want to be ready to brake yourself if it doesn't. It's possible they've changed the sensor design, but I'd say it looks like it's not fitted...

GeckoZAO
09-12-2013, 09:55 PM
uhhh, mine is dome and works.
just had a look on carsales and GTI models have them flat, highlines have dome ones.

DP Vic
10-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks All - the MY 14 models have a redesigned radar from what I have researched online (flat instead of dome shape)....

It works with cruise control on (slows down/speeds up & even stops with the traffic - really cool!), but I trialed the city emergency brake (front assist) with a big bag filled with balloons (about 1.5m wide and 1m high) & drove the car towards it (20 km/h) and it didn't even brake like the manual says it should.......

As much as I am loving the car, I have the dreaded wiper smear again - dealer has already changed the blades once! I'll get them to check out the radar when I take it back for the wiper blade to be changed....

Hillbilly
10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks All - the MY 14 models have a redesigned radar from what I have researched online (flat instead of dome shape)....

It works with cruise control on (slows down/speeds up & even stops with the traffic - really cool!), but I trialed the city emergency brake (front assist) with a big bag filled with balloons (about 1.5m wide and 1m high) & drove the car towards it (20 km/h) and it didn't even brake like the manual says it should.......

As much as I am loving the car, I have the dreaded wiper smear again - dealer has already changed the blades once! I'll get them to check out the radar when I take it back for the wiper blade to be changed....

Don't know about yours but I was under the impression the City Brake works when something SLOWS DOWN in front of you but doesn't work if the object is stationary. Mine definitely works in that scenario as I had an opportunity to test it the first week I had the car.

Came to a screaming halt and I still had foot on loud pedal. Not game to try it against a wall or similar.

DP Vic
10-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Don't know about yours but I was under the impression the City Brake works when something SLOWS DOWN in front of you but doesn't work if the object is stationary. Mine definitely works in that scenario as I had an opportunity to test it the first week I had the car.

Came to a screaming halt and I still had foot on loud pedal. Not game to try it against a wall or similar.

This YouTube clip demonstrates what it should do :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2MeGmXvRG8

Hillbilly
10-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Obviously improved since 2010 I guess.

Baz 55
10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
My MY14 is flat too and looks like yours. EB is working - it had a couple of little "freak outs" and slammed on the brakes. Adaptive cruise is brilliant. Best $1400 bucks ever spent. When you get into Economy driving / coasting etc another little extra in this pack you will appreciate the excellent "extra" fuel economy also. I'm averaging just under 5L per 100km over 4000km

GeckoZAO
25-02-2014, 02:08 PM
some research, triggered by my curiosity...
also I can confirm that my MK7 103 delivered in Oct 2013 (built in Jul 2013) is also MY14.
vehicles manufactured after week 28 in 2013 is seen as MY14. (same as MY13 MY15 etc.)

“I have the part numbers for both the Golf and the A3 but I'm not sure they will tell you if they are interchangeable.

Golf - old - Radar Unit - 5Q0 907 541 G
Golf - old - Trim - 5G0 907 461

Golf - new - Radar Unit - 5Q0 907 561 A
Golf - new - Trim - 5G0 907 225 B

A3 - old - Radar Unit - 5Q0 907 541 F
A3 - old - Trim - 8V0 807 224

A3 - new - Radar Unit - 5Q0 907 541 H
A3 - new - Trim - 8V0 907 224A

Quite how significant the letter change at the end of the part is I'm not sure, but it does appear that the units used on the Golf and the A3 and the same or very close apart from the trim.

Make sure you are sitting down when you read this next bit.....

Both old and new units on the Golf cost £1,004.56 for the Radar Unit and £2.90 for the trim
For the A3, again the old and new units are the same price - £1,066.97 for the Radar Unit and £3.05 for the trim.
£62 more when you buy it for an Audi than buying the same thing for a Golf.”

“Having found the radar sensor in the Golf section I had another look in the A3 section and found the details. The Golf shows a round one and then a rectangular one but it seems Audi could not be bothered to change the drawings and just changed the part numbers with effect from 16/9/2013. I would assume that if it changed shape on the Golf it also changed shape on the A3.”

“actually the flat ACC is up to 150Km/h and the other one is up to 200Km/h

here you go : Driver assistance systems - Predictive Emergency Braking System - Speeds below 30 km/h (18 mph) , Speeds over 30 km/h (18 mph) , Multi Purpose Camera , Stereo Video Camera , Long-Range Radar Sensor , Mid-Range Radar Sensor , Stereo Video Camera (http://www.bosch-automotivetechnology.com/en/de/_technik/component/SF_PC_DA_Predictive-Pedestrian-Protection_SF_PC_Driver-Assistance-Systems_5251.html?compId=5441)

Driver assistance systems - Predictive Emergency Braking System - Speeds below 30 km/h (18 mph) , Speeds over 30 km/h (18 mph) , Multi Purpose Camera , Stereo Video Camera , Long-Range Radar Sensor , Mid-Range Radar Sensor , Stereo Video Camera (http://www.bosch-automotivetechnology.com/en/de/_technik/component/SF_PC_DA_Predictive-Pedestrian-Protection_SF_PC_Driver-Assistance-Systems_5251.html?compId=5376)”

“mine is from end of October as is my co worker's one. built same week and received same day.
Guess what:
I have the round and he has the flat
i have driver assistance pack and he doesn't
I can go up to 200kmh and he can go only to 150”

credit: Missing Radar detector thingy? (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/204453-missing-radar-detector-thingy.html)

b c
26-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks GeckoZAO. I was wondering what the difference was between the flat and domed radar sensors.

Lem2808
28-02-2014, 09:29 PM
My GTI has the flat version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

readerr0r
28-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I also believe they made the new version harder to steal. They were being stolen in Germany and whatnot.

GeckoZAO
03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I also believe they made the new version harder to steal. They were being stolen in Germany and whatnot.

lucky we're here then! :D

GeckoZAO
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks GeckoZAO. I was wondering what the difference was between the flat and domed radar sensors.

pleasure mate.

Cyberman
03-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Can anyone tell me how to identify the cars with the Driver Assistance Package, please?
I am looking to buy a MkVII and want to ensure I get the Driver Assistance Package.
I've noticed (what appear to be) extra radar spots on the wheel arches.
Are there other identifiers?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Driver Assistance Package has been the same since the MkVII was introduced:
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) function
Driving profile selection
Park Assist 2, parking bay and parallel parking assistance
Proactive occupant protection system

readerr0r
03-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Easy, just look for the ACC box thingy in the middle of the lower grille (under the license plate in this pic).

Also I'm pretty sure Park Assist 2 has been removed for Aus Golf 7's cause someone crashed into a ute tray with it.

Lupo
03-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Also I'm pretty sure Park Assist 2 has been removed for Aus Golf 7's cause someone crashed into a ute tray with it.

Hi,
This is just a rumour. Park Assist is still available as part of the Driver Assistance package on Golf 7.
Just keep in mind that it's not available on Golf R as the factory didn't develope it for this model.
Maybe they thought R drivers can park without help. Don't get me wrong. It's an awesome feature and has helped me to get into some tight spots. A neighbour just ordered a Highline with DA. It's a MY15 with DA and Park Assist.
Happy parking!

AdamD
03-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Park Assist 2 is still available, just not on the R in Australia (for compliance reasons to do with the front and rear bars).

(PA2 is available on the R in LHD markets overseas.)

readerr0r
03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Park Assist 2 is still available, just not on the R in Australia (for compliance reasons to do with the front and rear bars).

(PA2 is available on the R in LHD markets overseas.)

Cool thanks for the clarification, I checked up some pictures of Driver Assist Golfs on carsales after and they still had the park assist button so I wasn't too sure.

Lupo
03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
When you look on the German car configurator and the current German Golf R brochure you won't find Park Assist 2 listed as an option for Golf R - not as an individual option nor as part of a package. Maybe in the future but not so far.

Cyberman
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
park assist buttonWhere's the Park Assist Button exactly, please? This will help me identify the cars.

readerr0r
03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Where's the Park Assist Button exactly, please? This will help me identify the cars.

Here's one from carsales, though I think looking for the ACC is easier.

Cyberman
03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I think looking for the ACC is easier.
Thanks for that. So where is the ACC controller, please? How does it vary from the normal cruise control buttons?
Thanks.

bazzle
03-06-2014, 11:48 AM
T

Add 1/2 bottle of Bars Bugs to washer bottle. Wipe undiluted onto screen and edge of wiper blades with a clean paper towel and rub around. Rinse with water.

Brendan_A
03-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that. So where is the ACC controller, please? How does it vary from the normal cruise control buttons?
Thanks.

On the the steering wheel. It is part of the cruise control.

readerr0r
03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks.

I mean the actual physical unit on the front of the car i mentioned in my previous post

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/driver-assistance-package-front-radar-92197-post1061793.html#post1061793

stedes
05-06-2014, 08:31 PM
I mean the actual physical unit on the front of the car i mentioned in my previous post

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/driver-assistance-package-front-radar-92197-post1061793.html#post1061793

Hello...my 2c:

- MY14 here with flat front sensor. I also read that they changed it because it was being stolen but I'm not sure I buy it...it might have been more fragile than the round one.

- Park Assist 2 in Australia is only specified as part of the Driver Assistance Package. This package is merely a group of optional extras specified by VWofA for the Australian market and nothing more. In Europe the options we get within the DA package can be ordered individually.

- If you see a car with the radar under the front bumper it has DA package installed. No radar = No DA package.

- If you have DA package you will get the P+steering wheel button on the right side of the gearknob (park assist) and also the driving mode button on the top left of the gearknob.

- When you don't have DA package you have normal cruise control.

- The controls for both normal CC and ACC are on the left hand side of the multifunction steering wheel (which is standard equipment in Australia on all Golfs). The markings on the buttons are slightly different in each case.

mease
26-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi all

Can someone explain in more detail about emergency brake assist that comes with drivers assistance package?
From what I know, it brings you to a stop if you are below 40kph, or is it 30kph?
What happens if your going faster that the allocated speed? Is there any warning or is the option then useless?

Also, how does VW eba compare to other cars eba?

lambertia
26-06-2014, 08:59 PM
The car will warn you to apply the brakes before it applies them. I'm not sure about how the speed limits fit in.

Brendan_A
26-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Disregard my post. Wrong info.

irossiter
26-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Haven't picked up Mk 7 yet but if it's like my Merc it alarms if it detects a dangerous closing speed and primes the brakes, tensions the seatbelts and once you touch the brakes will apply max braking before your foot could. At slower speeds I think it actually brakes for you. There is a good video, I think it's Fifth Gear. Comparing a Merc and VW and another. The VW is the only one that doesn't hit the " object" in front !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wai
27-06-2014, 07:48 AM
My Caddy Maxi Life has it.

Basically, if you apply the brakes in an emergency, then it will take over and apply them as hard as it can to stop you as quickly as possible.

This requires you to really stand on the brakes, at which point Emergency Brake Assist will take over and apply the brakes even harder. There are also other parameters that come in like the speed you are travelling at, and how long you have applied the brake pressure for. This is to avoid unnecessary emergency stops.

For most people, it is unlikely to activate. You have to apply the brakes so hard that you leave finger impressions in the steering wheel.

Oh, Mercedes Benz brought it out in their cars many years ago and ended up disabling it because it was so sensitive that it triggered far too easily and drivers ended up with new boot emblems just stopping for traffic lights.

AdamD
27-06-2014, 08:59 AM
There is some confusion here guys.

City Emergency Brake is what the OP is referring to. It uses the radar from the radar cruise system to detect an imminent collision, and jumps on the brakes to either prevent or reduce the severity of an impact. This feature is only found on vehicles with the radar cruise as part of the Assistance Pack.

Brake Assist detects when you have applied the brakes in a rapid 'emergency' way, and increases the brake pressure to a level beyond that you would be capable of by simply exerting more force on the pedal. This reduces the delay between when your foot touches the pedal and when the car actually starts heavy braking.

Some links:
Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) function (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/front-assist-with-city-emergency-brake--city-eb--function.html)
Brake Assist (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/brake-assist.html)

Hillbilly
27-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Can vouch for the City Brake Assist in the Passat at least. First week I had it l looked away for a sec and a car had almost stopped in front of me. Suddenly all hell broke loose Beeper goes off, brakes nearly put me through the screen and we come to a shuddering halt.

All with my foot still on the loud pedal.

Car has the full driver package. Mine apparently doesn't detect a stationary object according to the manual, just slow moving ones.

Newer models like the 7 are probably better still

DeboDasAuto
27-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Sounds a great option to get DAP which includes the Adaptive Cruise Control - a lot of useful and safe technology - I like the idea of these braking systems...........I want DAP I want DAP!!

MY14 Golf Comfortline 1.4L TSI, Limestone Grey Metallic, Satnav option.

ClownDog
27-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Some links:
City Emergency Braking function (City EB) (up!) < Technical Glossary < Technology & Service (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/city-emergency-braking-function.html)

I reckon this is the City EB you meant to link to:
Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) function < Technical Glossary (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/front-assist-with-city-emergency-brake--city-eb--function.html)
Pretty sure our Golfs don't use lasers.

Hillbilly
27-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I reckon this is the City EB you meant to link to:
Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) function < Technical Glossary (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/front-assist-with-city-emergency-brake--city-eb--function.html)
Pretty sure our Golfs don't use lasers.

That's what the Passat has. Front assist with City EB Definitely works well

AdamD
30-06-2014, 09:01 AM
I reckon this is the City EB you meant to link to

Ta. :)

logger
30-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Does having the City Emergency Brake fitted as an option have a positive effect on insurance premiums? ie two otherwise similar MK7s, one with Driver assist package the other without. If so it might be worth considering for a family member who is the market for a MK7.
I recall a top Gear episode reviewing the MK7 R or GTI and Clarkson mentioned that in the UK the inclusion of CEB markedly reduced the premium. Was he serious or was he having a lend? I am guessingAustralian insurers will see it as a means to reduce their risk without passing on a cut to our premiums.

Hillbilly
30-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Didn't make any difference to mine When I put the model in it listed all the factory options I just ticked the ones I had and it gave me a price

flight
30-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Didn't make any difference to mine When I put the model in it listed all the factory options I just ticked the ones I had and it gave me a price

It didn't make any difference to mine either. Maybe when lots of cars have this feature they will simply increase premiums for the remainder that don't.

lambertia
29-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi All!

I've been watching some videos of the FA and CEB in action. I want to give it a go. It looks like fun!

Anyone interested in helping to figuring out what sort of test rig we could put together and then finding a car park somewhere :)

Cheers,
--
Greg.

topcat
29-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I do a lot of highway K's and I love it, cruise control set and it works perfectly. Even will come to a complete stop......

I find the emergency brake a bit for temperamental, lane changing with speed can make it freak out especially if you take your foot off the accelerator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vdubmotorworx
29-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Just use a big cardboard box. (Windscreen box).We did and it worked fine. Just remember for city braking you must be doing less than 30 kph and NOT touching the brake or gas and it will pull up about 10mm from the cardboard box! Quite fun.....VDUB....

ajay1940
02-08-2014, 11:55 AM
This may have been discussed before, but I can't find the thread.
I notice that when I follow another car, using my adaptive cruise, and that car moves to the left, out of my lane, and then slows, my car brakes too, even though the road in front is clear. This is potentially very dangerous, as any vehicle following me, would not expect me to slow down quickly.
Anybody else experience this, or do I have a faulty radar?

irossiter
02-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Yes it is designed to be very conservative/pessimistic. If you very slightly move the steering wheel (a tiny amount) to the other side, the camera will then ignore the person who has just moved out of your lane. My Merc did it as well. It's not perfect technology but it's still absolutely incredible to have filtered down so quickly at such a cheap price. I won't buy a car without it now.

Brendan_A
02-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes our GTI does the same thing. When following a motorcycle you have to be very careful, if the rider moves to the far left the radar doesn't pick them up and you could drive into them if not paying attention. But other than that it's a nice system to have.

vdubmotorworx
02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Thats how they all are. Its not faulty.. thats why all these features start with "assist" as its only a help...you still have to be in control....VDUB...

ajay1940
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess that I'll have to be more alert and pause the cruise if this situation occurs again. I'll try irossiter's fix first, that seems an easy fix.

irossiter
03-08-2014, 11:13 AM
They are also not reliable at picking up motorbikes, definitely found that in the Merc's manual but still found them 90% of the time but don't trust it. Also, don't expect it to pick up cars already stopped ahead of you, eg at traffic lights. The radar is only designed to pick things moving. My GTI is the same as the Merc. Tried both on that one at slow speed with my foot hovering over the brake! It takes a while to trust it and you soon learn whether the radar has picked up something.

skong
10-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I've had CEB activate on me a few times since I had the car (about 1 year now). On all occasion I was in heavy traffic on the way to work. Arrived at work very much awake; didn't even need the usual cup of coffee to get started. What I find often sets the system off is a car in front turning off into a side street. If I'm reasonable sure it will clear my lane before I get there I may not apply the brakes and let the car coast (DSG will apply some engine braking depending on the mode it is in). The radar of course can only see a stationary object in front; kicks in the CEB which triggers the ABS and wet undies.
Despite the false alarms I still like having the system rather than not. One of these days something will happen in front of me on the way home from work, when my reaction time is at it's lowest level, it could end up saving the day for me and fellow road users.

skong
10-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't seem to have much problem with people moving out of my lane; it has happen on some occasion but rarely. I have noticed that more often than not the radar does not lock on stationary traffic ahead (same as irossiter's experience). Another thing to look out for is the gradient of the road; if I'm on even a slight down hill slope and the road ahead levels out, my radar will be pointing into the bitumen and not the cars in front.

vk6tnc
11-08-2014, 10:23 PM
If your car slows down for a car on the left, just flick the right hand indicator to cancel the braking.

PBJ
11-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Just use a big cardboard box. (Windscreen box).We did and it worked fine. Just remember for city braking you must be doing less than 30 kph and NOT touching the brake or gas and it will pull up about 10mm from the cardboard box! Quite fun.....VDUB....
This, used to try this out all the time in the family Volvo XC60... works like a charm

ajay1940
12-08-2014, 12:04 PM
That's useful info. Trouble is I'm an old codger, and by the time I react to the braking, and hit the indicator, the tail gating idiot is up my rear.

Rodmartin
19-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I just picked up my new Golf TSI Highline (with Driver Assistance package) a few days ago and would like to know how I can be sure that the City Emergency Brake (CEB) function is working (without driving into a brick wall to test it!).

I tried driving at a cardboard box (about 1 metre wide and 1 metre tall) a few times at about 10 or 15 km/h. I tested it both with my foot on and off the accelerator. Same result each time: the car hit the box without breaking.

I've attached pics of my menu settings and dashboard - both indicating that Front Assist is activated.

Does anyone know of a simple (and safe) way to confirm if this function is working?
I think I read someone saying that the object in front has to be moving for CEB to function. Is that right?
Also, does the object in front have to be as large as a car, i.e. should the car stop if, say, a child or dog runs out in front of me?

I've spoken to the dealership where I bought it and they've asked me to bring it in for them to look at.

But if anyone can provide any help that would be much appreciated!

Moonee
22-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Interesting experience (and a little worrying) Rodmartin.

What did your dealership say?

lambertia
22-08-2014, 09:45 AM
It is supposed to be moving but sometimes it will detect stationary traffic.

lambertia
22-08-2014, 09:45 AM
If radar cruise control works you can be confident that the ceb will as well.

Rodmartin
23-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I spoke to both a mechanic and the sales guy. Neither knew how it was supposed to work, but the sales guy said he would look into it for me.

brad
23-08-2014, 04:34 PM
My wife had all that stuff in her Mondeo a few years back - she still ran up the date of a Hi-Ace & did $800 damage.:banana:

giveway
23-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I've had it alert but not brake with a car turning off into a side street.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AJD
25-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I had mine kick in a couple of time, the most recent was when the hipster on his Vespa decided to dive out from between parked cars, Had it not been for the CEB he would have been road kill. Damned near put me through the windscreen and didn't improve my demeanour toward said hipster but it did stop me from running over him, unintentionally anyway.

NCGR1
08-09-2014, 01:33 AM
....Can someone explain in more detail about emergency brake assist that comes with drivers assistance package?....

Most drivers never push on the brake pedal hard enough to fully utilize the brakes. (same reason most folks have no idea what ABS feels like as they never push hard enough to engage it)

This system senses a "panic" situation by the quickness the driver applied the brakes and kicks in with full brake force. It would only function in an emergency situation, obviously.

NCGR1
11-09-2014, 04:05 AM
....Brake Assist.... and increases the brake pressure to a level beyond that you would be capable of by simply exerting more force on the pedal....

It does not actually apply the brakes any harder than a driver can. Just most drivers don't push hard enough so the system makes up for the driver's lack of skill.

Moonee
21-11-2014, 10:30 PM
I spoke to both a mechanic and the sales guy. Neither knew how it was supposed to work, but the sales guy said he would look into it for me.

What did he say?

I'm convinced City Emergency Brake doesn't work on my GTI.

Moonee
28-11-2014, 12:42 AM
I just had another watch of the iconic Volkswagen ad demonstrating City Emergency Brake

Volkswagen Golf - The Getaway (City Emergency Brake Technology) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/HA0A6qh5rso)

and suddenly realised there are two things wrong with it:

1. City Emergency Brake only works below 30 km/h.
Those crooks were clearly driving faster than that as they tried their getaway.

2. The object you're about to hit must also be moving. Another ad fail.

Time to call the ACCC? ;)

GolfVII
01-12-2014, 03:24 PM

1. True you can see the blurred speedo go over 40km/h...

2. It was my understanding the ACC does not detect stationary objects at all and the ECB when travelling under 30km/h will stop before hitting a stationery object. I guess that is why you can not set Cruise Control under 30km/h?

you are correct this advert is a fail

while travelling with ACC activated I had a Merc driver pull-out from a truck going 40km/h up a hill to pull in front of me doing 100km/h car alarms went off but no breaking etc ( I think or I reacted to quickly) lucky I was able swerved and applied breaks other wise I would have had a new bonnet emblem.

I'm so tempted to try driving in to a box in a car park and see how this really works, should have asked to borrow the box from my new fridge when they delivered it doh! delivery guys would have been like WTF is he doing lol

oznc
12-01-2015, 02:23 PM
It's saved my a$$ or should I say front twice now from idiots doing illegal u-turns. Works a treat. Cars turning left can set it off but I keep it on for the extra safety it adds.

PBJ
23-02-2015, 07:13 AM
Does anyone know how this (or Active Cruise Control) works on the manual models? Surely they would inevitably stall

agentthumb
05-03-2015, 12:47 PM
I just had another watch of the iconic Volkswagen ad demonstrating City Emergency Brake

Volkswagen Golf - The Getaway (City Emergency Brake Technology) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/HA0A6qh5rso)

and suddenly realised there are two things wrong with it:

Time to call the ACCC? ;)

The system will brake to a stop at speeds up to 30kmh (both stationary or moving object)

Between 30-80 kmh, the car will warn about stationary objects, but will not brake.

Between 30-200kmh, the car will warn & brake with moving objects.

Full throttle will override any assist systems in place.

The ad is misleading tho.

Source: Euro NCAP | Euro NCAP Advanced Reward 2012 (http://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/euro-ncap-advanced-rewards/2012-volkswagen-front-assist/)

I can't remember where I read this, but Front Assist & City emergency braking are different between AUS and EU spec Golfs. The EU ones have a camera mounted at the top of the wind screen. This camera is primarily used for lane keeping assistance however, it also increases the maximum brake pressure that can be applied by the car, increasing the effective activation speed for Front Assist & City Emergency Braking.

AUS spec Golfs don't have the camera fitted as part of DAP. This reduces the effectiveness of the system when compared to EU equivalent.

Moonee
14-03-2015, 04:24 PM
The ad is misleading tho.

And potentially dangerous if an Aussie ever decides to emulate the ad :)

agentthumb
14-03-2015, 04:31 PM
And potentially dangerous if an Aussie ever decides to emulate the ad :)

I think they call it natural selection ;)

MRG_AU
27-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Hi,
Today on my way from Canberra to Sydney I tested front assist. I truly enjoyed it. I tested all distance modes. Perfectly working. When I indicate n come to right lane it accelerated nice n smooth. Cars cutting me when my ACC is set to 110 I could see the front assist detecting these cars and slowing. Another one I found today is trucks slowing down rapidly in uphill and front assist slowing my car in full control. And when they speed in downhill it picks up speed smoothly.

City emergency braking is worrying I thought I could test that when my car is moving at 20km/hr. I sense brakes are preparing but i couldn't wait till it brakes. Distance between cars is less than 2 meters.

I will try with big card board box in an empty car park in the night when I get back home just to confirm it is working in my car. I needed that confirmation. I will update once I did the test.

MRG

Zepto
27-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi,
Today on my way from Canberra to Sydney I tested front assist. I truly enjoyed it. I tested all distance modes. Perfectly working. When I indicate n come to right lane it accelerated nice n smooth. Cars cutting me when my ACC is set to 110 I could see the front assist detecting these cars and slowing. Another one I found today is trucks slowing down rapidly in uphill and front assist slowing my car in full control. And when they speed in downhill it picks up speed smoothly.

City emergency braking is worrying I thought I could test that when my car is moving at 20km/hr. I sense brakes are preparing but i couldn't wait till it brakes. Distance between cars is less than 2 meters.

I will try with big card board box in an empty car park in the night when I get back home just to confirm it is working in my car. I needed that confirmation. I will update once I did the test.

MRG
ACC is great, I'd never buy a car without it from now on! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe front assist is different to ACC in that it is VW's collision avoidance system. I've had front assist start beeping at me two times, once when I was entering a tunnel and I guess it must've thought the ceiling was a wall or stopped car. The second time was at a stopped car turning right just before I went into the left passing lane.

Has anyone had front assist brake for them yet? Love to hear how it goes.

agentthumb
27-03-2015, 05:30 PM
I personally haven't had it full brake for me. Had a friend who "used" it and described the experience as pant ****ting.

Apparently at 30km/hr, the car doesn't leave much room once stopped. Cuts it very fine!

Brendan_A
27-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Has anyone had front assist brake for them yet? Love to hear how it goes.

I've had front assist brake for me. Had ACC set 90km/h coming around a bend sun in my eyes and car in front decided to brake hard and turn into a driveway. My GTI braked really hard and I was able to avoid a serious crash. Scared the crap out of me actually.

Love how the system works. Wish my Amarok had it as its my daily.

armthehomeless
14-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else gets intermittent "Blocked Sensor" errors on their MK7 Golf Adaptive Cruise Control?

I suspect it does it more going through tunnels/tolls (I'm in Brisbane). Is there any definitive answer to any interferences of the system?

I've taken it to the dealer who have seen the codes, but refuse to fix under warranty...which is BS.

But that aside, I'm just curious if this is a common problem.

Cheers

irossiter
14-07-2015, 01:09 PM
My alarm came up and it had a strip of bark sitting over it. When I cleaned it off and washed the camera screen cover it was all ok. Doesn't sound like that is your problem though. Keep pushing the dealer or try another one!

armthehomeless
14-07-2015, 01:12 PM
My alarm came up and it had a strip of bark sitting over it. When I cleaned it off and washed the camera screen cover it was all ok. Doesn't sound like that is your problem though. Keep pushing the dealer or try another one!

Yep, thought that the first time. But I've had it at least 10 times. And most of those have been within a short period of going in the toll tunnels in Brisbane

irossiter
14-07-2015, 01:15 PM
No doesn't sound like my problem. It is a real pain when the dealers ignore you. Keep pushing them. I pushed and pushed with a major problem with my Mk 6 and I refused to let up as my warranty was about to expire and surprise surprise it was a $3000 part that head office had to approve.

peekay34
14-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Go to a different dealer. I travel through Melbourne's Tunnels and Toll pointers never had a issue.

Mayhem
19-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Did anybody find a way to actually test CEB? Ive got a old cardboard box from a plasma tv which I want to try the CEB with but am not sure what the actual procedure is. I tried cruising at very low speed towards the box but nothing seems to happen, or maybe I am breaking before the CEB kicks in. I dont really want to drive into the box as I'm a bit paranoid about scratching the paint work. I might need to find something softer to drive into, something that won't scratch the paint work. Bag filled with balloons as someone mentioned earlier sounds like a good plan.

I have to the ACC and that seems to work pretty well, and I've also had the Front Assist warning come up for me once while doing some "tricky" maneuvers.

EDIT: I hung up a blanket today and drive thru it and the CEB did not engage. I think it's because the radar has to sense something metallic as you can see in the video below when they test it on the VW Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihXnMNcEv4

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihXnMNcEv4)

mutley252
28-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Hi there

Hoping for some expert feedback. Picked up my MY16 R with DAP2 last week. Loving the car after two x GTI's. I'm a little concerned the Front Assist / City EB is not working. On the freeway I have seen the 'too close' icon where the total kilometres is displayed. However a trial using some stuck together cardboard boxes in the driveway didn't activate any warnings, the car just hit the cardboard boxes.

The function is on, it isn't showing any errors etc.

On a side note, I drove a test MY15 R and I noticed a yellow icon which turned to green within the right side display / analog speedo. The light was at about the 2 o'clock position about half way between the numbers and the centre of the dial. I don't have any such light on my MY16. I didn't pay that much attention to that light on the MY15, but I assume it had some function (that car was fitted with DAP, not sure if it was 1 or 2).

Any thoughts / help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Idle
28-12-2015, 07:45 PM
You might try some foil on the boxes.

Mike_lama
12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

How does ACC work with a manual with gearing up and down? As it applies breaks and you need to gear down will it still apply breaks? Same as when it needs to accelerate again, will it stop accelerating when you go to gear up?

I've been trying to find videos and answers and failed miserably so far.

agentthumb
12-04-2016, 09:35 AM
It backs of throttle as soon as you start to clutch in :)

Braking would work normally too, until you hit minimum speed, then it deactivates. I think it's 30km/h?

Mike_lama
13-04-2016, 02:41 PM
It backs of throttle as soon as you start to clutch in :)

Braking would work normally too, until you hit minimum speed, then it deactivates. I think it's 30km/h?

Awesome, thank you for your response.

Is the ACC only start & stop in DSG? So there is a minimum speed in manual? It is definitely tricky to find this information.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

agentthumb
13-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Awesome, thank you for your response.

Is the ACC only start & stop in DSG? So there is a minimum speed in manual? It is definitely tricky to find this information.

Yes. ACC in DSG equipped Golf brings the car to a complete stop. And starts again as soon as the throttle is depressed, or if the driver hits the resume button while stationary.

In a manual, it cuts out at 30km/h (I think, may be lower). And you have to resume when you are back up to that speed.

Mike_lama
13-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Yes. ACC in DSG equipped Golf brings the car to a complete stop. And starts again as soon as the throttle is depressed, or if the driver hits the resume button while stationary.

In a manual, it cuts out at 30km/h (I think, may be lower). And you have to resume when you are back up to that speed.
Understandable! Thank you for all your great responses, definitely cleared it all up for me.

agentthumb
13-04-2016, 06:08 PM
No problem :)