PDA

View Full Version : Boston acoustic

Soundofav6
11-10-2007, 04:40 PM
has any one here used these boston acoustics (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=23&product_id=67)? My local sound and audio place in northmead had these for $160. MY on my .... I was seduced by the quality. The lebonese sales guy "rodney" was not pushy at all, giving these speakers another credit.

PS ...This topic has probably been covered billions of times but once more time wouldn't hurt right:D other recommendations welcome. have about $150 budget in mind.

99gti
11-10-2007, 04:52 PM
And they have a VW (bug) on their homepage. They MUST be good!

joshyd-mk2gti
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
$160 is pretty cheap. the rrp is about double that yeh? have you already got amp and wiring stuff in your car?

ps. check out the pro60's. :o

Soundofav6
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
$160 is pretty cheap. the rrp is about double that yeh? have you already got amp and wiring stuff in your car?

ps. check out the pro60's. :o

nuh no amps..I was debating between nice speaker /amp. Figured I don't want to waste trunk space, but after demo with those speaker, I was seduced, felt like being swopped into a parrallel world. They are good enough for me.

not sure the rrp??? still very ignorant in the car audio world. matter of fact I go here (http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/location.php) coz it's only a 2 min drive.

BL33SU
11-10-2007, 09:26 PM
just noticed u linked to the product... they r worth like 300 or so last time i asked..

not sure why its so cheap but they sound good

SoVeReIgN
11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Boston make some GREAT gear - I havent heard those ones and even though they look like they're the bottom lower end boston gear i'm sure they will be quality.

For $160 you can't go wrong! [Make sure they're brand new though!]

joshyd-mk2gti
11-10-2007, 10:39 PM
yeh just check if they are brand new. youd be hard pressed to find any better for $160 thou.

they will sound a little different in your car. he might have them amped in the store, plus theres no road noise in there. it will still be a good upgrade on the stock speakers. you could always get an amp and sound deaden your doors later on.

leck
12-10-2007, 12:07 AM
I actually had a set of the s60's in my car until about a week ago when i upgraded. I thought they were really nice. Big improvement over the stock ones thats for sure.

I do have to say the oz matrix i went up to are a completely different level, but your talking a 300 retail speaker vs 1000 for the oz.

Soundofav6
12-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, at least I now I know they are preputable brand. Hopefully they are not Second hand... I think this range of boston is the lesser range in the big boston picture, the RRP on the website (http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/list.php?id=4&sub_cat_id=13) is $179

During the demo, I requested sound effect with a sumation of amp, sub and rear speaker individually in their sound prove room. It sent goose bumps down my spine and gave me a big smile...

Another question... can I bascially plug and play, I have heard that new wiring would be ideal but is it a big deal ?? they quoted me ~120 for installation and all materials..

BlackVr6ix
12-10-2007, 09:55 AM
$120 to install a set of speakers? thats pretty excessive. i'd say $70-80 tops to install a set of splits into a golf.

Its really easy, i'll even do a DIY for you if you want hahaha

Soundofav6
12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
$120 to install a set of speakers? thats pretty excessive. i'd say $70-80 tops to install a set of splits into a golf.

Its really easy, i'll even do a DIY for you if you want hahaha

hey black, if you were in sydney I would pay you to do it for me. I will need to read more and before attempting DIY.

P.S. any one got suggestion/ pics of position where the tweeter can be mounted apart from stock position on the dash ( would that be best place anyways)

BlackVr6ix
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Its really not as hard as you think. the hardest bit for most people is getting over the fact that they think they cant do it!

All you need is a flat blade screw driver, a philips head screwdriver and a set of side cutters or wire strippers.

I'm sure there are some sydney siders that would be happy to help you install your speakers.

It'd save you a fair wack of money and you might even make some new friends.

Either way like i said, if you want me to make a DIY just ask!

Soundofav6
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Either way like i said, if you want me to make a DIY just ask!

I am confident to give it a DIY, taking the door card is not my worry. Its the wiring. But it should be fun tho, I will probably lay out the on the table before I uncrew my car. Thanks for your offer mate.

BL33SU
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
pretty easy to install in d vr6. about 1-2 hours if u take it slow.

Soundofav6
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
pretty easy to install in d vr6. about 1-2 hours if u take it slow.

what about the tweeter part? any suggestions

BlackVr6ix
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
you can do a number of thing, i cut the old tweeter out and used the flush mount for my new tweeter in that.

you could also just stick the new tweeter onto the grill where the old tweeter goes, the A pillar, the mirror backing or even on the door panel depending on how you like your high frequency stuff.

BL33SU
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
wat we did was drill a hole so the wires wen thru the mirror plastic thing and then glued the tweeter on the mirror thing. the stock tweeter location suckd.

Soundofav6
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
I am going with the idea of mirror plastic. The stock location is not on the same level. I will probably have them blue tacked to possible location before I make any holes.
Thanks for the ideas guys.

joshyd-mk2gti
13-10-2007, 12:11 PM
when your putting them in position, aim the tweeter at the opposite seats head rest [if your putting in the drivers side tweeter, aim it to the passenger seat head rest].

if your in a real DIY mood you can block off the service holes in the door with thin [3mm] mdf. it creates an enclosure for the speaker and produces much better mid bass/sound [would be more like what you heard in the store]. i can find a tutorial if you want.

Soundofav6
13-10-2007, 12:49 PM
if your in a real DIY mood you can block off the service holes in the door with thin [3mm] mdf. it creates an enclosure for the speaker and produces much better mid bass/sound [would be more like what you heard in the store]. i can find a tutorial if you want.

Thanks for the head rest tip buddy !!
service hole as in where the speaker sit ? What is mdf ?A tutorial would be nice :D

This is my speaker test. My logic tells me that my wiring starting from cross over hub thing is wrong, the sound is awfully soft.

I would need to locate the main wire from head unit and start from there right.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/DSC05556-1.jpg

BL33SU
13-10-2007, 01:47 PM
looks ok to me. check the - and +

mdf is type of wood.

best is to amp them.. but off the headunit should be fine.

Soundofav6
13-10-2007, 02:20 PM
looks ok to me. check the - and +

mdf is type of wood.

best is to amp them.. but off the headunit should be fine.

+ and - should be ok, otherwise there would be no sound right ?????

The speaker wire I branched off from seems very thin, I am guessing I should start branching off some where else NOT at the door.

95vr6
13-10-2007, 08:44 PM
If you need them fitted correctly, give me a call on o419251129 Anton.

joshyd-mk2gti
16-10-2007, 09:20 PM
got them working yet?

service hole as in where the speaker sit ? What is mdf ?A tutorial would be nice

heres a pic of service holes:

http://www.raamaudio.com/images/howto/03inside.jpg

in the pic you posted before, that black/grey stuff looks like a type of sound barrier to block road noise. behind that would be the inner steel door frame, same as you can see in the pic i posted. anyway, that grey thing in your door would do much the same thing (as long as theres no big holes in it). have a look through here if you want: http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ht&_scb=2

Soundofav6
19-10-2007, 10:45 AM
got them working yet?

Hey thanks for the tip. I would not have imagine there are so much work involved, its a complete different ball game. The tutorial is cool, potential DIY project in the holidays, the though of a thud when closing would sound nice as well as enhancing the audio.

Yeah I have got them working now, chicken out and couldn't wait until after exams. I got someone to do it for me at the end, only to realise I was on the right track, just got simple wiring mixed up, could have saved myself 60 buck for a 2 hr job. Anyways I will have some pics for you all tonight, loving the new speakers.

PS. Thank you all for your tips and advices. ;)

Soundofav6
19-10-2007, 05:25 PM
well took a few pics of my speakers, actually nothing too interesting. I relocated the tweeter to a higher position to the door. I had them on the map area initially , it didn't sound right ( kick panel was my inspiration is doing so, wonder why people do it) All I need to do now is to find a way to hide those holes :(

Location and direction of tweeters make the biggest difference in speakers I reckon, so now they held with 1 screw on the door, so I can wing them around for a different effect.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/DSC05590-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/DSC05595-1.jpg

Mrk_Mickey
06-01-2008, 10:16 PM
So Louis, after a few months, how do you find the speakers? I myself am looking at speaker upgrades, even though the stockies CRANK when they're amped..(omg! difference!) Are the Bostons worth buying? I'm also looking at Kicker and Pioneer splits and they seem good to, just to make my decision harder.

ScienceVR6
07-01-2008, 07:24 PM
So Louis, after a few months, how do you find the speakers? I myself am looking at speaker upgrades, even though the stockies CRANK when they're amped..(omg! difference!) Are the Bostons worth buying? I'm also looking at Kicker and Pioneer splits and they seem good to, just to make my decision harder.
Don't bother with the pioneers. They are harsh and horrible. Kicker is better, but if you can stretch, go the Bostons. You will be amazed. Think the stockies are good amped? Try a set of bostons!

Mrk_Mickey
07-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Hahaha...and yet the Pioneer's were more expensive than the Kickers, and even I thought the Kickers sounded better, more crisp. Are Boston Acoustic easy to find, and how much more expensive are they?

BL33SU
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
i had mb quartz.. cheaper then boston but sounded better then kicker n pioneer

ScienceVR6
08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
if you have been quoted the $299 for the pioneers, then you may save money on the bostons. I can't belive that the pioneers still go for that much in some places. most places have the pioneers down to half that.

Boston is easy enough to find.

jasn78
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
i have to say as well the boston rallys splits i have mine are amazing handles bass so well and clear as

Soundofav6
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Well after a few months I am pretty happy. Honetly I have not heard others apart from boston and mb quartz. MB has a very distintive tweeter sound from memory, sounded nice but somehow I was upsold with Bostons and sounded right to me. I suppose speakers are very personal thing.

In terms of price I got my first set for $250 and second set for $150( christmas sale) , big bargin, so didn't look back afterwards nor at other brands.

I am actually "Dynamatting" atm, hopefully it will give even more Bass, one door done. Not sure if it is just my car or whatnot. My door is rattling alot, I feel the bass is pumped inbetween the door rather than OUT, so hopefully the dynamat will enhance and bring out true protencial of the Bostons.

Happy speaker Hunting.

ScienceVR6
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
My door cards rattle alot. But i like my midbass eq'd to the max. I run a 12bd gain on the bass at 120hz.
so much rattle if its not up loud enough to drown it out.
I tried filling my doors with dacron, and it helped alot.