PDA

View Full Version : DSG in the wet

notflyingscot
11-11-2013, 09:44 PM
After three mths ownership driving today for first time on wet roads. Found it very difficult to get the Superb 7 speed away on uphill starts without embarrassing axle tramp. Is there a knack in getting underway smoothly in the wet with these transmissions? Wouldn't consider myself inexperienced after forty odd years in cars and HGVs.

wai
12-11-2013, 06:11 AM
If you have a conventional handbrake, try a handbrake hill start.

The problem is the delay between applying accelerator and the clutch engaging. It's around 1/4 second, and during this time, the car will roll back slightly. Then the clutch bites and launches you, only in the wet there will be some slip.

Albervin
17-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I assume your car doesn't have the hill assist or whatever it is called. When I stop on a hill I have plenty of time to take foot off brake and gently apply throttle without fear of rolling back. What setting do you have on the DSG, auto or manual? Maybe try both and see if that helps.

Ryan_R
24-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Manual mode, go soft on the gas until the clutch is back in and the rpm is around 3000 before squeezing it in more.

Whiteline have suspension products that can help, and you can look at better tyres. The AWD variants are the best at fast starts on wet roads with no loss of traction.

If you want to ensure hill hold assist is active just make sure you push hard on the brake pedal when stopped.

Hillbilly
24-11-2013, 03:14 PM
After three mths ownership driving today for first time on wet roads. Found it very difficult to get the Superb 7 speed away on uphill starts without embarrassing axle tramp. Is there a knack in getting underway smoothly in the wet with these transmissions? Wouldn't consider myself inexperienced after forty odd years in cars and HGVs.

LOL I tried to drag a V8 Cruiser the other day and got axle tramp on a slightly uphill sloping DRY road.

Lots of power these Passats ROFL

notflyingscot
26-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Laid up currently with broken ribs so not doing much driving. Looks like just have to experiment with some of the suggestions supplied. Nice transmissions when on the move but have to admit not always easy to keep it smooth in slow stop / start stuff.
Fortunately I'm past commuting so don't have to endure too much stop / start traffic.:)

blutopless2
27-11-2013, 06:37 AM
if you are having trouble with smooth take offs then you have an issue with the gearbox. They should be smooth ALL the time. I never experienced axle tramp in my Jetta with ~ 180kW, dry or wet etc... I had the DSG replaced eventually coz I could never get a smooth take off, and eventually it started clunking on gear changes. Initially i thought the take off issue was the way I drove it, but it wasn't. The new gearbox was fantastically smooth at all times... such a difference.

Martin
27-11-2013, 06:54 AM
After three mths ownership driving today for first time on wet roads. Found it very difficult to get the Superb 7 speed away on uphill starts without embarrassing axle tramp. Is there a knack in getting underway smoothly in the wet with these transmissions?

So over the past 3 months in the dry you have not have a problem with smooth starts?

Generally we only get axle tramp from launch starts
but poor wet performance/grip from the tyres can give rise to axle tramp
Uphill in the wet is a worst case scenario for FWD - tyre pressures and tyre quality may be a factor

Hillbilly
27-11-2013, 07:13 AM
So over the past 3 months in the dry you have not have a problem with smooth starts?

Generally we only get axle tramp from launch starts
but poor wet performance/grip from the tyres can give rise to axle tramp
Uphill in the wet is a worst case scenario for FWD - tyre pressures and tyre quality may be a factor

Too much right foot is another way of inducing axle tramp. Was sole reason for my previous post.

Softly softly get there in one piece LOL

notflyingscot
28-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I think its just a case of either getting used to the "hill holder" or reverting to conventional handbrake hill starts in the wet. I actually bought the Superb after being really happy with a new rental Skoda I drove in the UK (which sadly was written off as we sat stationary at a junction but that's another story!) I remember having the same issue early on when driving that one however you get a lot more opportunity to practice wet road uphill starts in Scotland than one does here;)

Martin
28-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I think its just a case of either getting used to the "hill holder" or reverting to conventional handbrake hill starts in the wet.

It's the brake assist
I don't actually know what the car will do if you manually use the hand brake but there should not be any need to do so.
Hold the foot brake, ensure the car is stationary, look at the MFD and check the car has selected 1st gear.
Confidently lift foot off the brake and then ease into the accelerator
If the car tries to change into 2nd and that is causing problems put the car into manual and select first, hold it in first until your underway

If it does not work then maybe there is a DSG/Clutch issue - get assitance from your dealer service centre

I actually bought the Superb after being really happy with a new rental Skoda I drove in the UK (which sadly was written off as we sat stationary at a junction but that's another story!)

Yikes!!!

nat225
28-11-2013, 01:25 PM
My right foot has been retuned with stage 2 software for more modulating control ability and i have not had much dramas on wet ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

dArK5HaD0w
28-11-2013, 08:30 PM
It's the brake assist

its not the brake assist - it's the "hill hold control".
i don't know about the superbs, but on the octavia rs, hill hold wasn't available till MY09 or MY10, after which it was made a std fit.

from the rs my11 brochure:-
"ESP - Electronic Stabilisation Program (incl. ABS, EBD, ASR, XDL and hill hold control)"