PDA

View Full Version : Carby Issues

Edison
10-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi again everyone :D Hi Loon! :D
Mikinoz, what happened?
The Diesel is waiting for the back seat to be put in and the dipstick to have a bit of rubber hose cut to fit, it lost its rubber and leaks oil, then I can go back to the blueslip place. I have torn ligaments in my ankle at the moment and so have been more lazy than usual.
I intend to run on unmodified used cooking oil, filtered only with two tanks and a preheater. Info about this method is on the net, and I think It suits my keep it simple approach, the manhours making bio are beyond my budget.
The little red petrol one has a bad carbie i think, when it turns right, it loses power for about 1/2 second and if its not at 50% throttle or above it wavers in power a lot... I don't know what to do, as hunting for a carbie is hard and I do not have a book, and carbies are tricky, but It's time I learned tricky as far as carbs go. Also I tore the parking break cable the other night, but it was a great success, as there was an african guy everyone said never speaks, and he is burnt a bit and they say he might be a child soldier, anyhow he was looking at the car, and so i encouraged him to have a look, and even a drive, but he can't drive, so i say I'll have to give him lessons, anyhow, i got his name and i think I'll be able to chat to him from now on.. which is a great victory for me. (I work with the homeless people you see)

Golf Loon
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
The carbys are a very basic thing, but 30 years old. lack of idle is the most common. If you were to take the jets out and clean it, it would probably come good.

Autos have a different jet to manuals, so if the carby has been changed it could be lack of fuel causing your problems.

On the right hand side of the carby as you look at it from the front there is a 13mm bolt. Remove that and petrol will empty from the float chamber. Insert a small screwdriver into the hole and remove the jet insid. Clean or enlarge it a fraction with the smallest drill bit and the car will go heaps better.

It will cost you petrol if you go crazy, but a tiny bit is ok.

Edison
10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Cool, I'll try that, though it will usually idle, the problem is usually at 1500-2000 rpm.