PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting for the Mk7

applegen
27-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

For those who've done aftermarket tint on their new car, any suggestion on company and choice of tint? and how much you paid for your tint?

I've been looking at the darkest tint possible in SA, and would love to know how much it cost, if they work well and if the certain company did a good job.

Tint-a-car seems to be the top search on google. Any feedback will be a great help!

Thanks guys!

maclean_cherry
27-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Paid $690 for the top stuff from SolarTint on my R36 wagon. Its got extra IR filtering as well as UV.

Sent from my Radiant using Tapatalk

tigger73
27-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Suggest giving these guys a call - Car Care | MotorOne (http://www.motorone.com/car_care/car_care_with_motorone.php)

They mainly do work for dealers - I was referred to them when I had to get some warranty work done.

Alternative to tint-a-car

QBDentFree
27-10-2013, 05:15 PM
I cant help you with anyone in SA, but there are plenty of independents in Melb that can give you a perfect, lifetime warrantee job for around $200.
Tint-a-car is a rip off, and $690 is just silly

bru20vt
28-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I would be interested to know from people who have had the car tinted whether the small piece of glass near the side mirrors gets tinted. I would imagine it would be difficult.

Eaglehawk
28-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Solar Tint couldn't do it. Hands weren't small enough...

28ONE4
28-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Scorpion Window Tinting at Enfield... Not sure if still located there...That's where most my uni mates used to take them in the late 90's

jarryd
28-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Got octane tint from tint a car , was 390 I think and no they couldn't do the small window either

Idle
28-10-2013, 12:50 PM
It would be almost impossible to do it without removing the pane, which "might" be removable with the right tools.

As with most fixed panes, it appears to be held in by the rubber surround and these can usually be taken out.

Incidentally, my Highline came with full tint (including the windscreen and the small quarter window) that's quite dark enough for my liking.

Amusing afterthought: During purchase negotiations I was introduced to the usual lady selling options, who showed me round a display car and talked about tint, pointing out that although the rest of the car was tinted, the windscreen wasn't — and how hard plain glass is on the eyes. As is my usual practice I declined the offer and when the new car arrived found the screen matched the rest of the glass.

If I'd paid the extra, of course I'd never have known...

Wonder how many fall for it?

jdbrown1953
28-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I would be interested to know from people who have had the car tinted whether the small piece of glass near the side mirrors gets tinted. I would imagine it would be difficult.

My tinter couldn't get to the small front quarter window. Don't even notice it's not tinted.

Pod
28-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I cant help you with anyone in SA, but there are plenty of independents in Melb that can give you a perfect, lifetime warrantee job for around $200.
Tint-a-car is a rip off, and $690 is just silly

Yep totally agree. I'm also not in SA, but I got mine done by an independent with a lifetime warranty for under $300. All of those chain tinting places charge far too much.

QBDentFree
28-10-2013, 04:38 PM
It would be almost impossible to do it without removing the pane, which "might" be removable with the right tools.

As with most fixed panes, it appears to be held in by the rubber surround and these can usually be taken out.

Incidentally, my Highline came with full tint (including the windscreen and the small quarter window) that's quite dark enough for my liking.

Amusing afterthought: During purchase negotiations I was introduced to the usual lady selling options, who showed me round a display car and talked about tint, pointing out that although the rest of the car was tinted, the windscreen wasn't — and how hard plain glass is on the eyes. As is my usual practice I declined the offer and when the new car arrived found the screen matched the rest of the glass.

If I'd paid the extra, of course I'd never have known...

Wonder how many fall for it?

Again, not in SA, but I can get windows removed & refitted for around $75ea, so your tint company should be able to as well. It'll add to the cost of the job, but if you really want it done it shouldn't cost you that much. Still less than $690

applegen
28-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Again, not in SA, but I can get windows removed & refitted for around $75ea, so your tint company should be able to as well. It'll add to the cost of the job, but if you really want it done it shouldn't cost you that much. Still less than $690

Thank you for the feedback guys! I'll check out a few mentioned places and see if I can get a quote and let you guys know how i went for future references!

applegen
28-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Just another question guys,

So many tints to choose from. What's best for leather seat protection? Cancer council film seems good. anyone has them on their windows?

Brew69
28-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Got mine done in Adelaide by a small company including small windows. Solitaire wanted $770 lol. Paid a third of this for darkest legal with lifetime warranty.

applegen
29-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Got mine done in Adelaide by a small company including small windows. Solitaire wanted $770 lol. Paid a third of this for darkest legal with lifetime warranty.

Hi Brew69,

yours sounds good. can you tell me where the small company is please? would like to check it out.

Thanks.

Brew69
30-10-2013, 09:13 AM
BnM Tinting 0403 311 440. Work out of house near Blackwood

bru20vt
30-10-2013, 01:49 PM
For those in Sydney, Robert Salvia 0418 464 185 (Hunters Hill Window Tinting) tinted my car today. I have used Rob before and he does an excellent job. He pops the top of the door trims and the trim around the small windows to get the best result.

applegen
30-10-2013, 02:10 PM
BnM Tinting 0403 311 440. Work out of house near Blackwood

Thanks for the info Brew69! Will definitely give them a call!

brad
30-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Just another question guys,

So many tints to choose from. What's best for leather seat protection? Cancer council film seems good. anyone has them on their windows?

All tints should offer 100% UV protection.

I'd assume a Cancer Council film is just a fee paid to the Cancer Council to licence the use of their name just like Cancer Council sunscreen is no different from other sunscreens with the same SP rating. A similar scheme exists with the heart tick symbol for food. You pay a licence fee to use the branding.

GeckoZAO
30-10-2013, 10:31 PM
booked mine tomorrow @ CarX in Clayton, VIC, friend recommended.
$220 was quoted, Johnson and Suntek films available.

applegen
31-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Photos after please! $220 sounds like a good deal!

applegen
31-10-2013, 05:51 PM
All tints should offer 100% UV protection.

I'd assume a Cancer Council film is just a fee paid to the Cancer Council to licence the use of their name just like Cancer Council sunscreen is no different from other sunscreens with the same SP rating. A similar scheme exists with the heart tick symbol for food. You pay a licence fee to use the branding.

Thanks Brad!

the guy i rang up kept pushing the cancer council tints saying they are the best albeit being more expensive. but i'll definitely do more research into it after your info.

levendi001
31-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Try sun block on main north rd medindie
Great prices and great tint

maclean_cherry
31-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Just thought id jump back in with some explanation about my choice in tint..

Could have got the "generic darkest legal" for about $350, the "top of the line 100% UV" stuff for about $450 or the brand new stuff they had got in that offers additional IR filtering as well as the 100% UV.

Leather interiors tend to dry and crack when the sun gets to them so when I bought this car I decided that I'd rather spend $200 extra on tint and know that I've got the best possible protection for the interior from the sun. Hell, $690 is less than 1% of the car cost so cuts hardly a bank breaker!

Sent from my Radiant using Tapatalk

QBDentFree
31-10-2013, 09:13 PM
IR radiation from the sun, or "heat" as it is commonly known, will be blocked to some extent by all tints. I know I had a car done years ago with expensive tint that boasted proudly "60-somthing% IR protection". I'll tell you now that the generic film I've had installed on every car since has blocked more heat than the expensive stuff, and they have done a better job of installing it too.

But yes, $700 is nothing compared to the cost of a new car, so can't blame you for playing it safe

applegen
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Try sun block on main north rd medindie
Great prices and great tint

Thanks Levindi! I'll give them a ring.

Jimi
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
What level of tint is already in the glass? Any? I assumed the glass would offer UV protection

I hadn't thought about after market tinting and assumed I could get away without it.

applegen
02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
What level of tint is already in the glass? Any? I assumed the glass would offer UV protection

I hadn't thought about after market tinting and assumed I could get away without it.

Hey Jimi,

I had a look at the current brochure and it states "heat insulating tinted glass" as standard for all Golfs. guess its the greenish tint on all of them.

says nothing about UV protection but my guess is VW offers window film tinting as an extra, you probably won't get much from the standard tint.

GeckoZAO
03-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Photos after please! $220 sounds like a good deal!

haha, can you be bothered to drive to Melb to do the tint? XD
the job was really well done, i actually saw them doing it in the workshop, they did it very carefully.
the boss was very nice too, i will visit him again if i have another car to tint.
i will post photos later this week!

applegen
03-11-2013, 11:32 AM
haha, can you be bothered to drive to Melb to do the tint? XD
the job was really well done, i actually saw them doing it in the workshop, they did it very carefully.
the boss was very nice too, i will visit him again if i have another car to tint.
i will post photos later this week!

no probably not. but i travel to melbourne every couple of months so I might consider. will see.

so it didn't take long for the job to be done?

GeckoZAO
04-11-2013, 12:55 AM
no probably not. but i travel to melbourne every couple of months so I might consider. will see.

so it didn't take long for the job to be done?

about 2 hours, make sure you book for appointment at least 3-5 days before you go. boss said its summer and getting busier.

GeckoZAO
04-11-2013, 05:17 AM
here it is.
35% darkest legal tint with Suntek film @ CarX
i actually quite like the colour!

brad
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey Jimi,

I had a look at the current brochure and it states "heat insulating tinted glass" as standard for all Golfs. guess its the greenish tint on all of them.

says nothing about UV protection but my guess is VW offers window film tinting as an extra, you probably won't get much from the standard tint.

VW don't offer window tint film - the dealers do.

applegen
04-11-2013, 03:43 PM
here it is.

Looks good. Thanks for the photo!

levendi001
05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Applegen
Any updates on tinters?

applegen
05-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Applegen
Any updates on tinters?

Hi Levendi001

Sorry I haven't rang the others up yet. thought i'll leave it till my car arrives. The only one I've rang, recommended by tigger73 was Car Care | MotorOne (http://www.motorone.com/car_care/car_care_with_motorone.php) and they wanted me to deal with the dealer. didn't give me a quote. i'll probably not get it done by them.

will keep you updated when I ring around. not long now. 7 more days till my car lands in melbourne.

Diesel_vert
06-11-2013, 03:28 PM

As with all modern vehicles, the windscreen is made from laminated glass, which will block at least 95% (typically 97% to 98%) of UV radiation by design.

Side and rear windows that are not made from laminated glass will otherwise be made from tempered glass. Depending on the presence of any tint or coat in the glass, their darkness, and the thickness of the glass itself, tempered glass will block from anywhere between 30% to 90% of UV radiation.

Laminated side and rear windows are uncommon and tend to feature on more expensive cars.

Expect a typical automotive glass window (tempered, with green tint) to block around 50% to 70% of UV radiation.

Many tinted or coated window films on the market should block the transmission of UV radiation through any glass by >99%, depending on the product.

applegen
07-11-2013, 05:34 PM
As with all modern vehicles, the windscreen is made from laminated glass, which will block at least 95% (typically 97% to 98%) of UV radiation by design.

Side and rear windows that are not made from laminated glass will otherwise be made from tempered glass. Depending on the presence of any tint or coat in the glass, their darkness, and the thickness of the glass itself, tempered glass will block from anywhere between 30% to 90% of UV radiation.

Laminated side and rear windows are uncommon and tend to feature on more expensive cars.

Expect a typical automotive glass window (tempered, with green tint) to block around 50% to 70% of UV radiation.

Many tinted or coated window films on the market should block the transmission of UV radiation through any glass by >99%, depending on the product.

Great info there. thanks!

bergerboy
08-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Anyone know a good tinter in the Brisbane area, I pick my new car up in a couple of weeks. I want to go for the darkest legal tint available.

doubtfull
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Looking to receive my Golf soon now (ordered May but incompetent dealership). Any recommendations for tinting in Sydney? If they do opticoat or similar as well, that would be a bonus.

brad
08-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I've had 2 cars done by Rob Salvia. He's good & competitivly priced.

roy
18-11-2013, 12:37 PM
here it is.

Would you mind telling me which carx did the tint for you? How much? Looking get mine done as well, thanks

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

mummbles
18-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Anyone know a good tinter in the Brisbane area, I pick my new car up in a couple of weeks. I want to go for the darkest legal tint available.

I got mine tinted at Solar Style (http://www.solarstyle.net.au/automotive-tinting) a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with the service and results. They even did the small triangular front window as well.
I went for the 3M Scotchtint Black as I like grey/uncoloured tint. If you like the greenish tints go for the CXP range.
Thoroughly recommended!

Dux
21-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I had mine done at Tint-a-Car, getting their Octane (http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinting/octane-window-tint) product touting the darkest legal tint.

Overall very pleased with the result.

applegen
22-11-2013, 06:07 PM
I had mine done at Tint-a-Car, getting their Octane (http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinting/octane-window-tint) product touting the darkest legal tint.

Overall very pleased with the result.

Hi Dux, mine sharing how much you paid for the Octane tints with them? and of course some photos will be nice!

bergerboy
22-11-2013, 06:55 PM
I got mine tinted at Solar Style (http://www.solarstyle.net.au/automotive-tinting) a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with the service and results. They even did the small triangular front window as well.
I went for the 3M Scotchtint Black as I like grey/uncoloured tint. If you like the greenish tints go for the CXP range.
Thoroughly recommended!

Thanks mummbles for the recommendation too the new GTI in today to the guys at Solar Style. Must say amazing service and great price. They do the triangle part as well.

I felt very comfortable about these guys once I knew Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW etc bring there cars here to be done.

ganstar
16-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Of course I could get it at the dealer overpriced and all. Believe you have to be careful when doing the rear windscreen as the antennae wiring can be cut. Where have people gone in Brisbane?

brimway
16-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I've had my car and family's cars done by Peter at Tintmart Strathpine. He has been there for more than 12 years that I know of, so he must be doing something right.

I would go back there.

applegen
17-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

Finally looking at having my car tints done before the hot summer hits. Anyone has any feedback about the tint selections or the company? I'm lost with all the selections available.

D & S Auto - Adelaide Car Window Tinting (http://www.dandsauto.com.au/windowtint.html)

thank you all.

veew
17-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I was thinking of getting my car done at D&S as well, otherwise I'll get it done at Elite Finish. Will be looking at getting the car opticoated (also by either of those companies) but I won't get the car until April/May and the opticoat requires a good 24hrs of curing which I'd prefer to do in warmer weather.

BTW let me know if the local guys do the small front window as well. One of the other guys won't tell me the place he took it to as they swore never to do another Golf 7 lol

mummbles
17-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Of course I could get it at the dealer overpriced and all. Believe you have to be careful when doing the rear windscreen as the antennae wiring can be cut. Where have people gone in Brisbane?

Did you even read this thread?

applegen
17-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I was thinking of getting my car done at D&S as well, otherwise I'll get it done at Elite Finish. Will be looking at getting the car opticoated (also by either of those companies) but I won't get the car until April/May and the opticoat requires a good 24hrs of curing which I'd prefer to do in warmer weather.

BTW let me know if the local guys do the small front window as well. One of the other guys won't tell me the place he took it to as they swore never to do another Golf 7 lol

Elite Finish's website looks like they do a good job. i'll let you know which one i go to.

AdamD
18-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Hamish (Elite Finish) is an excellent detailer and I can vouch for him - I've had my car detailed by him before and will do so again. I've not seen his tinting work though.

applegen
19-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Hamish (Elite Finish) is an excellent detailer and I can vouch for him - I've had my car detailed by him before and will do so again. I've not seen his tinting work though.

Thanks Adam! i'll be booking it in soon!

levendi001
19-12-2013, 09:20 PM
+1 for Hamish top top work

applegen
20-12-2013, 04:41 PM
+1 for Hamish top top work

Hey Levendi,

care to give me an idea on how much you spent and which tint/detailing you had done from them?

will be a great help.

thank you!

levendi001
22-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Pm sent

cox11
21-01-2014, 07:36 PM

GZ, how did the tint go?

I'm in the market for tint and the $690 price from barloword seems too high.

I'm in Cheltenham so clayton is pretty close.

cox11
22-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Anyone else from Melbourne have experienced to share?

kennyc
22-01-2014, 08:45 AM
So no one gets it done from the dealers when they buy the car then? I know it is overpriced but least if anything goes wrong it is all in the warranty from the dealer?

brad
22-01-2014, 09:25 AM
You still get warranty from the tinter.

The dealer usually sub-contracts to a tint shop anyway, so if you have a claim you take your car to the dealer, who then takes it back to the tint shop & plays Chinese Whispers as to what the problem is, etc.

Personally, I'd rather deal direct with the specialist that is working on my car.

Cplus
22-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Hamish is a top bloke. He offers tint, pretty sure he gets the D&S lads to come and do it.

I've had cars detailed by him and he is meticulous, polite, accommodating and good value. Highly recommended.

D&S I've also had do some detailing. Little bit dearer than Hamish, but very good results and still well priced. Not as convenient for me though. Lonsdale/Newton vs Novar Gardens.

D&S I've had tint two of my cars, one at Lonsdale and one at Newton. The lad that did the job at Newton was a bit messier than Lonsdale, I had some soap streaks on plastic that were very hard to remove. He used ALOT of solution (I assume just soapy water) compared to the lad at Lonsdale. He also hand cut the tint as opposed to the machine at Lonsdale. This was 2007 and 2010 respectively.

Of interest, the dealer at the time was only willing to tint the front windows with 35% tint and wanted to use less dark on the rear as they were already factory tinted and applying same film front and rear would make them illegally dark. Pfft.

So I had a golf with illegal rear windows for 4years. The dark tint in the rear was awesome. Never an issue with police etc. your results may vary! :D

veew
22-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Hamish is a top bloke. He offers tint, pretty sure he gets the D&S lads to come and do it.
He also hand cut the tint as opposed to the machine at Lonsdale. This was 2007 and 2010 respectively.

I was informed by D&S Lonsdale 6 weeks ago they no longer machine cut the tints, he stated they prefer to hand cut now. How are the machine cuts holding up?

oystercard
03-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Tint-A-Car for me.

Last car I owned from new for 12 years, tint was done one week into ownership never a problem, colour still as good as day one, no bubbles. In window antenna too.

Car before which then became FIL and now going on 20 years old also Tint-A-Car. Same deal as above save for the antenna.

No prizes for guessing who I went back to this time.

cox11
04-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I spoke with rob tait at car tint in ringwood. He said that he won't do the mk7 gti due to the small window in the front doors. Too hard to access and worries that not only could the finish be poor (dots around the edges) but also that it will be very hard to fix if something goes wrong.

He suggested getting the dealer to do the windows, that way if something isn't right then they can get it fixed

brad
04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
What he's saying is that he isn't willing to warrant his work.

The dealer would only send it to a subby - very few have their own tint department.

cox11
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
What he's saying is that he isn't willing to warrant his work.

The dealer would only send it to a subby - very few have their own tint department.

I get that.

If what he says is true about the difficulty to fix the problem if something goes wrong makes me worry about going to someone who says "no problem I will do the little windows"

At least with the dealer it will be their responsibility to ensure you have the job done right and if it's not then they need to sort it.

brad
04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I guess that's why the dealer charges $500 for a $200 job.

kennyc
04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I get that.

If what he says is true about the difficulty to fix the problem if something goes wrong makes me worry about going to someone who says "no problem I will do the little windows"

At least with the dealer it will be their responsibility to ensure you have the job done right and if it's not then they need to sort it.

That is exactly why i went with the dealer to do my tint. Yes they charge more but as it is an authorized VW place, if they stuff it and anything else stuffs up with the car then they are the best people to fix it.
I would rather pay a little more for peace of mind.
Had my last car tinted from them and no issues at all.
For a little saving of a couple of hundred dollars after spending over 50k (for me personally) getting the tint done at the dealer would give me peace of mind.

brad
04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Different perceptions of dealers & their ability to provide a service.

While there are some good operators among the dealerships they are grossly outnumbered by the incompetant. Add in the franchise system which doesn't allow you to take problems with non-factory accessories such as window tint to another dealer.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the bulk of them with a billy-cart.

kennyc
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
True, i guess it is pot luck to which dealer provides a good service.
But i can only give rave reviews for Barloworld Glen Waverley. I bought my last car from them, and all i have received is excellent customer service.
I have dropped my car in a few times without an appointment and they have always gone out of their way to fix it then and there without me having to take it back another time.

So yeah because of the excellent service i get from them i bout the MK7 from there and won't go anywhere else.

Nauend
04-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Recommendations for window tinters in canberra? I've had the car for six months and realised now summer is here that tinting would be very good.

Eaglehawk
04-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I've used SolarTint in Belconnen for 3 cars (two VWs last year). No issues.

They couldn't do the small window though...

Billecartz
04-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I've used SolarTint in Belconnen for 3 cars (two VWs last year). No issues.

They couldn't do the small window though...

Just had my GTI done at Reflect Effect North Parramatta and they did the small window with no problem. Dave said he just madea special tool, looks great!

veew
12-02-2014, 08:09 AM
I've been asking the local window tinters if they do the front windows. I haven't found one who does it so far.

Darren from SolaBlocSA informed me he received this memo from SolarGard:

Please be aware that the newly released Volkswagen Golf 7 has two ”front quarter windows” that cannot be tinted.
These windows are impossible to access for tinting and apparently there’s also an airbag behind the A pillar trim.
It has been strongly recommended not to remove this A pillar trim under any circumstance in an attempt to tint these windows.

cox11
13-02-2014, 05:30 AM
If this is the case, then how does the dealer get it done? Barloworld bayside have told me it's not a problem.
Btw, they said their tinted uses the anti cancer council endorsed film. Any thoughts/experiences if this stuff?

brad
13-02-2014, 08:41 AM
If this is the case, then how does the dealer get it done? Barloworld bayside have told me it's not a problem.
Btw, they said their tinted uses the anti cancer council endorsed film. Any thoughts/experiences if this stuff?

As somebody else said, some of the tinters have made special tools to do the job. This thread keeps proving that some tinters only want the easy work.

Anything Cancer Council endorsed (or any other endorsement eg: Heart Foundation) just means that the company has paid a licence fee to the Cancer Council to use their name & logo. The product would have to meet certain minimum standards but it doesn't make it more "cancer stopping" than any other window tint of the same spec.

cox11
13-02-2014, 08:54 AM
As somebody else said, some of the tinters have made special tools to do the job. This thread keeps proving that some tinters only want the easy work.

Anything Cancer Council endorsed (or any other endorsement eg: Heart Foundation) just means that the company has paid a licence fee to the Cancer Council to use their name & logo. The product would have to meet certain minimum standards but it doesn't make it more "cancer stopping" than any other window tint of the same spec.

Yeah, it sounds like it. But many of these guys do a good job scaring consumers into thinking the others will do a **** job.

I would like to take it to someone like tintx in Clayton but worry about the quality if the job. Particularly as they quote tint with the quarter windows for $220.

brad
13-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I paid around that for my Octavia (7 windows inc the big back one). Pefect job. I doubt I'd be willing to pay more than $270 for a similar vehicle - maybe $300 tops if it's a wagon.

Golf7Tdi
13-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Mine are tinted 45% (15% above legal amountin NSW) and they look great! I think if you over do it with tinting, itll make it look bad.

brad
13-02-2014, 11:59 AM
So they are 15% lighter than darkest legal of 30%VLT?

cox11
13-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Was that in Melbourne?

brad
13-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Sydenee!

Golf7Tdi
13-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Yeah theyre 1% lighter, And I think its the perfect amount, I wouldnt go any darker personally, and besides, its had to see through at night anyway. I think 30% Transparency is way too much to suit the golf.

brad
13-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah theyre 1% lighter, And I think its the perfect amount, I wouldnt go any darker personally, and besides, its had to see through at night anyway. I think 30% Transparency is way too much to suit the golf.
How much you can see through at night would depend on a persons night vision capability.

I have ~20%VLT film plus whatever was already embedded in the glass & don't have an issue at night.

midlifecrisis
19-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Anyone else recommend someone in Canberra?

veew
24-02-2014, 08:36 PM
I ended up getting my Carbon XP tint and Opticoat done at Elite Finish. D&S Tint came to do the tinting, unfortunately no one in Adelaide is happy to tint the front quarter windows.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/02/1559513_521751867942625_889793792_o_zps4-1.jpg (http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/trangandrew/media/1559513_521751867942625_889793792_o_zps48abb57b.jp g.html)

Lemonskin
18-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Hey everyone, I spoke to a guy in Kirrawee about darkest legal tinting on my GTI's windows and he said he could do it for $260 BUT he couldn't tint the small front window where the side mirrors are, because there is an airbag there and it might go off while he was doing it.

Has anyone heard of this problem//or had others tint this part successfully? Also, is the price good?

Brendan_A
18-03-2014, 08:33 AM
When I picked my GTI up the other week I was surprised to see they had tinted the two front quarter windows, when they told me months earlier they couldn't. Dealers in house tinted did a good job.

brad
18-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey everyone, I spoke to a guy in Kirrawee about darkest legal tinting on my GTI's windows and he said he could do it for $260 BUT he couldn't tint the small front window where the side mirrors are, because there is an airbag there and it might go off while he was doing it.

Has anyone heard of this problem//or had others tint this part successfully? Also, is the price good?

If that's for the whole car then the price is good.

You serious about the little window question? Isn't there like a dozen or more comments about that window in this thread?

Lemonskin
19-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Well I booked it in Saturday week in at South Side Tinting in Kirrawee for darkest legal tint @ $260. Fingers crossed it all goes well. Front quarter window won't be tinted

cox11
20-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I've had my car since Saturday and haven't decided on tinting yet. I'm not a tinter, but I can't work out how someone could do a good job on the quarter window. A child couldn't even get their hand in there. What a stupid design by Vw

Brendan_A
20-03-2014, 05:42 AM
You don't use your hand. They make up a small tool that fits in so they can push on the window.

cox11
20-03-2014, 05:49 AM
Has anyone had bad experience with the tinting of the quarter windows?

Lemonskin
20-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Has anyone had bad experience with the tinting of the quarter windows?

The basic theme seems to be that it's super hard to do. My tint's only going to be $260 so if the guy can't do it thats fine. I'm not paying twice that for someone who can do it.!

cox11
20-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm finding the opposite. The more expensive guys won't touch it. It's the cheaper guys saying 'sure I'll give it a go'

flagger
20-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I got some guys to do my 90TSI with 3M film for $350. They had a go at the front quarter windows but no dice. In the end they just put it on the outside and to be honest it's not too bad. I can't see the edges from a metre away. They did say that in a couple of years it will start to lift on the edges and just get some more tint and replace it myself.

tonymy01
23-03-2014, 12:48 PM
In the end they just put it on the outside and to be honest it's not too bad.

God, outside? It will get scratched to buggery long before it starts to peel.

flagger
24-03-2014, 09:54 AM
God, outside? It will get scratched to buggery long before it starts to peel.

The tinters tried for a couple of hours trying to get it stuck on the inside. In the end, they just went with that solution. When it starts to look bad, I'll take it off and get some tint. The week after, I found out my girlfriend can get her hand inside the little windows very easily, so I will try and see if she can get the tint stuck on the inside when it comes to replacing it.

mummbles
24-03-2014, 06:45 PM
The mob I mentioned earlier in this thread did the front qtr windows no problem at all.
Come to think of it neither of the tinters I got quoted from said they couldn't do it, but I did confirm with Solar Style that they could do it.
As others have said they made up a special tool to aid in installing this window. It worked too!

anduril
12-05-2014, 10:41 AM
For those around Sydney interested in getting their Mk7s tinted at great value, including the front triangle window pane make sure you give Rob from Hunters Hill Window Tinting.

The job was completed within 2 hours using SolarGard's HP Supreme. I've just got the 35% for the front + UV films on the rest.

Here are some cheap iPhone shots (they do look darker in the pics):

Bit of work to get to the front triangle but it was worth it in the end. Before that was put on the small little untinted area just looked odd against the tinted windows.

tigerwoodsgolf
06-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Dear fellow vw watercoolers,

I just bought a 2015 Golf 103tsi Highline - R-line package in Melbourne. It comes with privacy glass for the rear windows. The dealership that sold it to me was unable to provide a tint package that could match the front windows to the privacy glass (which has a greenish tinge to it). The only two options they had were Cancer Council window film (very expensive at $600) or Black Max window film. Neither one matched the privacy glass completely.

Does anyone know of a good tinter in Melbourne that can match the front windows to the privacy glass? I imagine it would involve a specialised tint combination, something like 35% in the front and 45% in the rear privacy windows.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

tigerwoodsgolf
06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
It's strange that VW puts privacy glass in many of their cars (Gti for example) but cannot provide an after-market tint that matches the privacy glass!

Hillbilly
06-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Maybe it has to do with the regs as to how dark you can tint the two front door windows. I did my Cruiser really dark to keep prying eyes out but couldnt do the two fronts anywhere near as dark (legally).

kryten2001
06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Not sure if you have "tint a car" franchises over in Melbourne, but their "formula one" tint is very close. I just had mine done yesterday.

You can see a difference but you really have to look hard to see it. It also has a very similar green tinge to it.

Cheers.

tigerwoodsgolf
06-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks Kryten! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear from this thread :)

tigerwoodsgolf
06-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Not sure if you have "tint a car" franchises over in Melbourne, but their "formula one" tint is very close. I just had mine done yesterday.

You can see a difference but you really have to look hard to see it. It also has a very similar green tinge to it.

Cheers.

Did you tint all four windows or just the front two?

Also, were 'tint a car' able to tint the small quarter panel in the front window?

kryten2001
06-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Did you tint all four windows or just the front two?

Also, were 'tint a car' able to tint the small quarter panel in the front window?

I had the front two done with 'formula one', the rear two done with clear UV film, and the rear glass done with formula one as well, but a lighter version. All in all it matches well.

Nope they couldn't do the little panels at the front... If your anal it will stick out, but honestly I've not really noticed because everything else looks great. Vision out the back with even darker rear glass look really good as well.

Do it, you won't be disappointed.. Check the golf r sticky megathread if you wanna see pics of how it came out.. Post number 2629.

Cost me $400.

Cheers.

tigerwoodsgolf
08-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Kryten,

Your posts have been a huge help. I'm def gonna roll with the formula 1 tint, it looks sweet on your R.

bobg
23-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I just got my MK7 Carbon Steel Grey GTI a few days ago and I'm considering getting windows tinted but I'm not sure where to start... I've been searching through this forum but haven't found the answers I'm after

- Can anyone suggest how dark I should go? I've heard if you go too dark it makes its hard a night
- Can anyone recommend a good tinter in the Hills District of Sydney?
- Does the Tinter have to take the door apart at all to do the tint? I've had broken windows replaced before on a car door and the place that fixed it made a mess of my door.

Many thanks!

Dutch77
24-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Try: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/window-tinting-mk7-91205.html

brad
24-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I just got my MK7 Carbon Steel Grey GTI a few days ago and I'm considering getting windows tinted but I'm not sure where to start... I've been searching through this forum but haven't found the answers I'm after

- Can anyone suggest how dark I should go? I've heard if you go too dark it makes its hard a night
- Can anyone recommend a good tinter in the Hills District of Sydney?
- Does the Tinter have to take the door apart at all to do the tint? I've had broken windows replaced before on a car door and the place that fixed it made a mess of my door.

Many thanks!
You're legally allowed 30% VLT. Stick with that & you'll be fine
Rob - Hunters Hill Window Tinting - he has a mobile business. He doesn't pull your window apart (some tineters do - I think they are insane)

bobg
25-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Brad!

jazzyjames999
28-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Anyone know a good tinter in WA - Kalgoorlie or Perth maybe?

zapsplat
13-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Wanted to ask if anyone had got their tinting done through the dealership? Only reason I ask about the dealerships specifically is because it will be covered on my finance so its an option I might pursue, and I'm new to tinting concepts as a first car buyer. They seem to have a limited selection of tints though.

The dealership offers 4 tints - each with a different hue of colour. I'm one of the strange ones who wants to avoid the 35% darkest legal in NSW and go for around the 40-45%, so the closest to my requirements is a 38% 'Classic' tint that has a green tinge. Does the tinge usually have a huge impact?

Also good to note that the dealership is doubtful they can get the front quarters tinted.

Zepto
13-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Wanted to ask if anyone had got their tinting done through the dealership? Only reason I ask about the dealerships specifically is because it will be covered on my finance so its an option I might pursue, and I'm new to tinting concepts as a first car buyer. They seem to have a limited selection of tints though.

The dealership offers 4 tints - each with a different hue of colour. I'm one of the strange ones who wants to avoid the 35% darkest legal in NSW and go for around the 40-45%, so the closest to my requirements is a 38% 'Classic' tint that has a green tinge. Does the tinge usually have a huge impact?

Also good to note that the dealership is doubtful they can get the front quarters tinted.

I also was confused about what was meant by a green tinge but the tinter I went to (not the dealer) was able to show me the different tints on cars. The green isn't overly noticeable but as my car is white I went for the blackist tint (3M black 35%).

The front triangular windows need to be tinted IMO, otherwise it looks weird. My tinter was able to do it all for sub-$400.

zapsplat
13-03-2015, 11:28 AM
I also was confused about what was meant by a green tinge but the tinter I went to (not the dealer) was able to show me the different tints on cars. The green isn't overly noticeable but as my car is white I went for the blackist tint (3M black 35%).

The front triangular windows need to be tinted IMO, otherwise it looks weird. My tinter was able to do it all for sub-$400.

Yeah I agree, I'm a bit OCD as well so the front quarters will need to be done, but the dealer said they would try and push their provider to do it as well. For upwards of $450, I think this actually might be a deal breaker.

The whole experience feels a bit shady, might end up holding out and getting the car untinted and then aftermarket installed by someone like the highly recommended Rob from Hunters Hill. That way I can stick to my neutral greys with a Solar Gard HP Supreme 42. The only tints the dealer could show was a family one at 72% which was clear...

Dutch77
13-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Dealers will usually use someone decent as they won't want to have customers associating them with bad work; but they do usually add a huge margin to cover their time in dealing with it and to claw back some profit on the deal.

I usually get tint included in the deal these days to sign; saves me the hassle of organising it and driving around with untinted windows in the mean time. If you do need to pay then you can usually bank on paying about half what the dealer will quote first time around.

I wouldn't be worried about the stupid front quarter window - I can't vouch on Zepto's white car, but it makes zero difference on mine. The mirror and interior plastics easily fool the eye and no one has ever noticed or commented on it - I don't notice it and I know it's there. If you find a tinter who will do it cheaply without damaging your car, cool.. otherwise don't give it a second thought.

brad
13-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Yes the colour of the tint has a huge impact.

My finance company (maquarie bank) was quite happy to send me a separate cheque for my tinter (Rob Salvia). They just needed a receipt after it was done.

do you really think there's a huge visual difference between 35% & 38%? I can't see it myself (pun intended)

zapsplat
13-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys -
Compared the quote from VW (which took 2 weeks to get...) to the quote from Rob Salvia (within the half hour), and I'm going to go for the latter. I feel like I have more control over what options I have as he will take me through the materials visually on the day (which VW couldn't) and he has experience in the front quarters from what I've read and can do them for me as well which is a bonus. Whilst I have to drive around untinted, it would only be for a week or so, so I feel like its the safer option.

Interesting that you say that about the finance brad, I will make some calls to find out if St George will do that for me too. As for the 38% VLT, its the closest thing VW had to what I requested, so again it's probably not what I'm after. It's hard to say without looking at it first hand, which I'm glad I now get the chance to.

Thanks for the help!

brad
13-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Rob has a selection of tints on the back window of his vehicle. You can look at them from both sides. He knows what looks good. He has a choice of a lot more than a handful.

What colour is your car?

zapsplat
14-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Rob has a selection of tints on the back window of his vehicle. You can look at them from both sides. He knows what looks good. He has a choice of a lot more than a handful.

What colour is your car?

Its Limestone Grey - so I'm thinking a neutral grey / black tint.

I think I made the right choice in going to Rob.

Moonee
14-03-2015, 04:16 PM
I toyed with the idea of getting tinting but all the tints I liked were metallic based and I was warned they will to some extent affect my radio reception and remote fob range.

Have decided for now to not tint.

zapsplat
14-03-2015, 04:28 PM
I toyed with the idea of getting tinting but all the tints I liked were metallic based and I was warned they will to some extent affect my radio reception and remote fob range.

Another reason I decided not to go with the dealer. They were only offering me metallic tints but 'assured me' they didn't affect wireless signals.

brad
14-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Its Limestone Grey - so I'm thinking a neutral grey / black tint.

I think I made the right choice in going to Rob.

Grey with grey should look good.

Don't be afraid to let Rob guide you.

My Liberty was silver & we did a legal semi-metalised / reflective (it was legal) which looked pretty good but I wanted something different for the next car (Octavia)

The Octavia is Corrado Red. I think I asked for "the same tint as my Wayfarers" (Rayban sunnies). He knew exactly what I wanted. Very happy with the result.

brad
14-03-2015, 10:14 PM

My fob works from 20m away. I mainly listen to AM radio which has crap reception whether there's tint or not but the Skoda has an aerial in the hatch & another on the roof. I have no idea what the MK7 has

adamvchorek
30-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Had my tints done yesterday by Rob from Hunters Hill Window Tints, wonderful job and walked me through all the options and a genuinely nice guy to deal with. Good price also so i can't complain there. Was done in just over 1h 45min and looks perfect. Would recommend.

brad
30-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Had my tints done yesterday by Rob from Hunters Hill Window Tints, wonderful job and walked me through all the options and a genuinely nice guy to deal with. Good price also so i can't complain there. Was done in just over 1h 45min and looks perfect. Would recommend.
And not a panel needed to be removed I 'd bet.

Did he do the little window?

MrGadget
30-04-2015, 02:54 PM
OK, really want to tint my GTI PP but no idea who can do a great job and also do the triangle windows in Melbourne. I would want clear UV film applied to the privacy glass with front windows matched as close as possible to the rest.

adamvchorek
30-04-2015, 04:52 PM
And not a panel needed to be removed I 'd bet.

Did he do the little window?

No removal of panels but he did "pop" them out so he could get to the window, but very professional and put it all back together and looks like a factory finish.
Yes he did do the little window, after the last mob i wanted to tint my windows said they don't do it because no one can. Hah, he proved them wrong.

Mayhem
15-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Did anyone manage to find a place which will tint the little triangle windows in Adelaide?
I originally got mine done at Elite Finnish while getting my Opticoat, they did a good job but weren't able to do the little triangles. If I can find a reputable place that does all the Golf R windows I would like to go 18-20% all around.

Primordial
04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
+1 for Robert Salvia 0418 464 185 (Hunters Hill Window Tinting) - He tinted my last GTI, and will be doing my R when it arrives. Great bloke, great price, great product.

TOV
05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
any good tinting service in Brisbane, as well as opti coat?

AJW
05-08-2015, 07:32 PM
+1 for Robert Salvia 0418 464 185 (Hunters Hill Window Tinting) - He tinted my last GTI, and will be doing my R when it arrives. Great bloke, great price, great product.

I'm getting a GTIPP which will have privacy glass - 2 questions.
- If you use Rob to try and match the rear pre-tinted glass does anyone know what he will use to match it?
- Do people bother getting clear UV film put on on rear windows & rear glass considering the glass will probably block close to 80% UV anyway.

My preference is to just do the front 2 windows and small triangles as I garage my car at home & work.

Bengineer
05-08-2015, 09:31 PM
I just got mine tinted at Tint-a-Car Milton in Brisbane. Got the Octane darkest legal. Not super dark, but happy with it. They also did the front small glass part, he made a point of it when I booked it in. Was about $495 I think.

MrGadget
05-08-2015, 10:04 PM
OK guys, any Melbourne based tint guys that can match (as close as possible) the privacy tint and do the small triangles?

brad
06-08-2015, 11:35 AM
- If you use Rob to try and match the rear pre-tinted glass does anyone know what he will use to match it?
- Do people bother getting clear UV film put on on rear windows & rear glass considering the glass will probably block close to 80% UV anyway.

My preference is to just do the front 2 windows and small triangles as I garage my car at home & work.

I don't know what he would use. I wouldn't care. I've used the often enough that I trust his expert opinion. Give him a call & he'll tell you what he uses, he's probably done several hundred MK7s by now

The clear UV would be a personal preference / depth pof wallet thing. I would for the safety aspects of window film (It holds the glass together a bit more if the glass breaks).

SkimR
06-08-2015, 07:31 PM

I had my Mk7 R and comfortline wagon (coincidently yesterday) tinted by Rob. I watched him tint the R in full. I had 35% placed on all windows (excl rear) inc the triangles. He also placed UV film on the rears. I struggle to find any difference in shade colours (front and back) in any light. Highly recommended.

Kiaorana
07-08-2015, 12:11 PM
any good tinting service in Brisbane, as well as opti coat?

Hey mate,

I got quoted $990 for opticoat pro and windows tinting (including small triangles) at solarstyle in eagle farm

I'll bring my car in as soon as I receive it!

ALCo4301
08-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I had Rob Salvia to do my GTI PP. He matched the front windows with the rear and on the rear side and rear windows he did a Clear UV. Also did the two front small triangles, great job all round.

ian
08-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I had the two fronts only done in the tiguan Sat solar tint. penrith. Only charged me $125. Cash. With. Warranty

Mayhem
15-08-2015, 06:11 PM
No Tint Shops in Adelaide doing the little triangle windows?!?! Wow...I tried a few places and it's a No Go.

Might have to do a road trip to Melbourne. What a sad little place Adelaide is. LoL

mattaus
16-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Hey all,

I've been talking to Solar Style here in Brisbane and will be have my GTI tinted when I take delivery (soon).

Possibly a stupid quesiton; but what windows on the GTI (Performance if it makes any difference) are already tinted, and if there are differences in the existing windows, would I need to get different levels to ensure the windows all 'look' the same? I don't want to get straight 3M 25% the whole way 'round only to discover that the rear window is now darker than all the others because it had factory tinting on it already?

I'm only mentioning this because I read somewhere today (typically I can't find it now that I want to re-read it) that someone had a clear UV film put on the back window, and then tinted the side windows to match. Is this accurate, or BS?

Ralfi
16-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Rear windows are tinted on the PP only (& maybe R), which makes tint matching the front/rear windows a bit difficult according to the mob who did my GTI (non-PP). They (Tint-A-Car) thought all GTI's were the same until I showed them mine, so their job was made easy due to all windows being the same tint.

You need to be careful matching it up because if you go a barely legal tint on the front windows, your rears will be illegal...

Though, if don't want the fronts done too dark, your rears may not even need tinting, saving you $$$...not sure about this, as can't recall how dark the rear windows are on a PP.

mattaus
16-08-2015, 10:52 PM
OK thanks. Solar style are pretty good from all reports so I'm sure they'll be able to work something out. I won't lose any sleep if they are slightly different shades. Its only if they are clearly different. Even then I'll be annoyed rather than pissed haha.

brad
17-08-2015, 09:03 AM
OK thanks. Solar style are pretty good from all reports so I'm sure they'll be able to work something out. I won't lose any sleep if they are slightly different shades. Its only if they are clearly different. Even then I'll be annoyed rather than pissed haha.
A good tint shop will know exactly what to do to make it match. If they are scratching their heads then go elswhere

mattaus
17-08-2015, 09:17 AM
A good tint shop will know exactly what to do to make it match. If they are scratching their heads then go elswhere

Definitely. They appear to have done every car under the sun, and several of my coworkers have had multiple cars done by them and they've always been very happy. They also made a specific note of being able to tint the small 3/4 windows at the front (they said they made a special tool to get in there) so they've at least done Golf's before. Of course if it's only the PP and R that have the factory tinted rear window then maybe I'll be their first. I'll know soon enough!

golf_7R
24-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Hey, how much was it to get it done if you don't mind me asking?

Mayhem
26-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Rear windows are tinted on the PP only (& maybe R), which makes tint matching the front/rear windows a bit difficult according to the mob who did my GTI (non-PP). They (Tint-A-Car) thought all GTI's were the same until I showed them mine, so their job was made easy due to all windows being the same tint.

You need to be careful matching it up because if you go a barely legal tint on the front windows, your rears will be illegal...

Though, if don't want the fronts done too dark, your rears may not even need tinting, saving you $$$...not sure about this, as can't recall how dark the rear windows are on a PP.

My rear windows on the R with privacy glass tested at 35%.

mattaus
26-08-2015, 07:15 PM
My rear windows on the R with privacy glass tested at 35%.

So if I understand you correctly (which is debatable haha) that means no tinting at all is required for the rear window if you want to stay legal?

brad
27-08-2015, 08:51 AM
So if I understand you correctly (which is debatable haha) that means no tinting at all is required for the rear window if you want to stay legal?

Correct but the factory tint doesn't block the full spectrum of UV so you may wish to add clear film.

mattaus
27-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Correct but the factory tint doesn't block the full spectrum of UV so you may wish to add clear film.

Yup, that was my plan. Match the side windows to the rear and put a clear UV film on the rear. The options I've been given are:

Carbon: Provides superior results for customers looking for quality and performance. Other features and benefits include:
· A proprietary construction that utilizes unique and innovative Carbon technology
· Non-reflective, “black” finish that will not fade
· Great solar performance with advanced UV protection
· No metal layers that can cause interference with cell phone, radio, or navigation system signals
· Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty, that includes fading

CXP: A next generation window film, enhanced performance for high-end applications. Other features and benefits include:
· The latest in non-metal, nano-hybrid, Carbon technology
· Non-reflective, “black” finish that will not fade
· Superior optical clarity
· Superior heat, infrared, and UV rejection for increased comfort
· Signal enabling technology that causes no interference with cell phone, radio, or navigation system signals
· Lifetime Manufacturer’s warranty, that includes fading

3M Scotchtint Black 3M is a leader in creating technologically advanced window films. Other features and benefits include:
· Reduces damaging UV radiation with a UPF rating of 50+, the highest rating
· Patented technology for producing Black, a window film that incorporates a unique process not found in conventional films
· The 3M Black has the most natural darkest looking finish of all films available to the market
· Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty, that includes fading

How much of the above is marketing BS I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards the 3M because my car is/will be white, and the darkest windows will look the best (I think).

HPSOV
28-08-2015, 04:13 PM
+1 for great service by Rob at Hunters Hill Window Tinting. Did an excellent job, great guy.

tshow
16-09-2015, 09:43 AM
I know there's been a lot of recommendation for specific tinters in Brissy and Sydney, however, there hasn't been many recommendations in Melbourne for the Mk7.

Has anyone in Melbourne with the rear tinted windows manage to find someone who does the colour match, small front window and finish quality well?

ACID
16-09-2015, 01:47 PM
^ I went to tint professor (I think) in Hoppers Crosssing. When I first picked up the car the little triangle weren't done so I made a point that the booking lady said 'ALL windows' were to be tinted, so back in the car went and got them done. I couldn't stand those little window not being tinted so I'm glad I pushed the point. With regards to matching, I got them to put there darkest legal tint all round and the result was great. I quite like the front's being a little lighter than the rears. Very happy with the overall finish.

tshow
16-09-2015, 03:01 PM
^ I went to tint professor (I think) in Hoppers Crosssing. When I first picked up the car the little triangle weren't done so I made a point that the booking lady said 'ALL windows' were to be tinted, so back in the car went and got them done. I couldn't stand those little window not being tinted so I'm glad I pushed the point. With regards to matching, I got them to put there darkest legal tint all round and the result was great. I quite like the front's being a little lighter than the rears. Very happy with the overall finish.

Thanks for the report. A little far for me, especially if there is a potential I have to return. Great to know there are more people available in Vic who can do the lil window.

What tint make and model did you use?

WallySimmonds
22-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Resurrecting an old thread. Anyone have any recommendations for someone who can do a Golf Highline with the Rline package (which means the read coloured windows...) in Melbourne? I'm based out by the showgrounds, so would prefer something out that way.

I contacted cartint.com.au (based in Ringwood) and they told me not to bother as they couldn't do the quarter window, which I thought was a bit odd as I know others who have done it.

NTPete
27-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Can I suggest that you go with a 3M Tint, preferably either the Metallic or latest version Ceramic backed as it lasts and reduces UV and Infrared Heat transfer. I paid $350 (Don't be afraid to aske "How Much for Cash" as it works) and it comes with a lifetime guarantee, it was done through Tint-A-Car here in Darwin. They didn't do the small front window but it looks great.

juniorgold
04-11-2015, 08:39 AM
I've read this thread in its entirety. From what I gather, Rob in Sydney is the best to deal with and he really knows his craft. As tshow also asked, do we have a Rob in Melbourne?

^ I went to tint professor (I think) in Hoppers Crosssing....... Very happy with the overall finish.
Hi ACID, how is your tint holding up? Would you still recommend them? I checked their website but Hoppers Crossing wasn't listed as one of their location. Did they close down? Also, which specific product did you go with and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

dannys87
04-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I've read this thread in its entirety. From what I gather, Rob in Sydney is the best to deal with and he really knows his craft. As tshow also asked, do we have a Rob in Melbourne?

Hi ACID, how is your tint holding up? Would you still recommend them? I checked their website but Hoppers Crossing wasn't listed as one of their location. Did they close down? Also, which specific product did you go with and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Rob in Melbourne is most likely Rob Tait, owner of Car Tint in Ringwood and founder of the Victorian wrx/sti club

juniorgold
04-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Rob in Melbourne is most likely Rob Tait, owner of Car Tint in Ringwood and founder of the Victorian wrx/sti club
Thanks dannys87. The Robs seem to be dominating in the tinting scene. I presume your cars are tinted by him? I also presume he is good if you're throwing his name out there? Could you share what price you paid and which product you went for?

dannys87
04-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks dannys87. The Robs seem to be dominating in the tinting scene. I presume your cars are tinted by him? I also presume he is good if you're throwing his name out there? Could you share what price you paid and which product you went for?

My previous sti was tinted by him, fortunately I didn't pay for it, previous owner did. I spoke to him in regards to getting my R done once it's delivered, he politely refused as he said he couldn't tint the quarter windows.

But yeah you could say he is a presence in the tinting scene here in Melbourne has a good reputation and nice Ferrari

juniorgold
04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
My previous sti was tinted by him, fortunately I didn't pay for it, previous owner did. I spoke to him in regards to getting my R done once it's delivered, he politely refused as he said he couldn't tint the quarter windows.

But yeah you could say he is a presence in the tinting scene here in Melbourne has a good reputation and nice Ferrari
Thanks for the heads up, I guess no point in me ringing him then. Have you found a place to tint your R? So far I've only got tint-a-car and Brett from Vision Window Tinting Berwick on my list. Still searching this vast forum of knowledge!

dannys87
04-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I guess no point in me ringing him then. Have you found a place to tint your R? So far I've only got tint-a-car and Brett from Vision Window Tinting Berwick on my list. Still searching this vast forum of knowledge!

I've been recommended tint connection on westall road in Clayton also doesn't do the small quarter windows, will be chasing up affinesse shortly

WallySimmonds
04-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Ive had no luck either - noone seems to want to do the quarter windows.

juniorgold
04-11-2015, 03:16 PM
I've been recommended tint connection on westall road in Clayton also doesn't do the small quarter windows, will be chasing up affinesse shortly
They look pretty decent, it's unfortunate they don't do the small quarter window either. Affinesse only does detailing from what I see. Please correct me.

Ive had no luck either - noone seems to want to do the quarter windows.
WallySimmonds, have you sorted your tint yet or still on the hunt?

WallySimmonds
04-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Tbh I haven't been looking that hard. Busy with work lately and I've only just picked up the car, but nope, still haven't found anyone.

AdamD
05-11-2015, 08:07 AM

I think the question was rather 'is there an equivalent of Sydney's Rob [that will tint Golfs and do a great job] in Melbourne'? :P

juniorgold
05-11-2015, 05:54 PM
I think the question was rather 'is there an equivalent of Sydney's Rob [that will tint Golfs and do a great job] in Melbourne'? :P
You nailed it AdamD! That was exactly what I was asking and I thought who knew it was another man named Rob. I guess not since he doesn't do the little front windows. Must have been my poor grade 1 grammar that got lost in translation :facepalm: The hunt continues for the Rob equivalent in Melbourne or at least someone who will tint Golfs without any complaint for a good price of course.

brad
06-11-2015, 08:14 AM
You nailed it AdamD! That was exactly what I was asking and I thought who knew it was another man named Rob. I guess not since he doesn't do the little front windows. Must have been my poor grade 1 grammar that got lost in translation :facepalm: The hunt continues for the Rob equivalent in Melbourne or at least someone who will tint Golfs without any complaint for a good price of course.

Rob Taite in Melbourne is very reluctant to do VWs as he insists on removing trim panels and doesn't like the way the clips break.

I still have no idea why he would need to remove panels - just his way of working I guess.

StevieGTI7
11-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Just had Oztint in Five Dock Sydney tint my Mk7 GTI. I spoke to half a dozen tinters including a couple mentioned on the forum and checked the spec of the various films they had, particularly the TSER. I really didn't want a basic dye film or anything with a metal layer. Oztint offered the suntek cxp at $350 or $400 if I wanted to include the 2 front quarter windows. They installed this film on my Focus 5 years ago and it is still performing and looking perfect so went for the same again. They fitted me in within a couple of days and more than happy with the outcome.

danielb_c
12-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I had my R tinted yesterday. I was referred to SunSafe in Rooty Hill by 2 separate people (one of whom does film installation for commercial premises but goes to this guy for cars). $200, using SunTek with lifetime warranty, and did the quarter panels. An employee didn't think they'd do the corner windows, but I had a chat to the owner, Lou, who said they'd do them. I can see why many avoid doing them, I watched them do the job - probably took almost as long to do them as the rest of the car. They matched up the rear and front windows really nicely, high quality job.

StevieGTI7
13-11-2015, 09:18 AM
$200, using SunTek with lifetime warranty, and did the quarter panels. .
Sounds good, what type of suntek film did they use and did they put a clear UV type film on the rear windows? I was considering going a little darker than 35% but it worked out ok.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19863&stc=1

danielb_c
13-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Sounds good, what type of suntek film did they use and did they put a clear UV type film on the rear windows? I was considering going a little darker than 35% but it worked out ok.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19863&stc=1

I did ask about the exact tint, but I can't remember the name. But it's non metallic, if that helps.

The problem we had is that the privacy glass is very very green, and we tried a few films from various manufacturers, but none were that green. So they put a lighter tint on the back to help match colour to the front.

Technically it's now darker than legal, but from what I've been told by 4 separate tinters, is that if you darken the front at all, because of how dark the privacy glass is on the back you'll be darker than legal anyway.

I figure I can always take it off if there's a problem.

danielb_c
13-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Yours looks good by the way

Merlin8r43
03-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Another +1 for Rob at Hunters Hill Window Tint. Good price, great result, he even does the little A-pillar windows (told me his secret).

VW Convert
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Another +1 for Rob at Hunters Hill Window Tint. Good price, great result, he even does the little A-pillar windows (told me his secret).

Rob knows his stuff doesn't he? Had him tint my Eos and then my wife's Fiat 500C, did a great job, a real professional.

Cheers

George

ABCD
25-01-2016, 09:04 PM
And another thumbs up for Rob at Hunters Hill Window tint. Great price, great job, great bloke

WallySimmonds
29-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Been a while since I've posted in here and thought I might ask again - anyone had any luck with anyone from Melbourne?

Still on the hunt. Bit of a gap in the market down here for sure!

prn31
03-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Another tick for Rob at Hunters Hill Window Tinting. A great job for a very good price, even did those A pillar windows on the Golf. My wife was very impressed.

Looks like he does more Golfs than any other model. Told me he had just done a couple of Wolfsburg R Wagons recently. He doesn't need to advertise - we do it for him on the forums...!

bellawii
03-02-2016, 09:23 PM
May I ask what was the price for tinting a golf? I work in North Ryde and will probably get him to do my golf wagon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daniel123
04-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Rob just did my R Wagon a coupe of weeks ago, perfect job

Merlin8r43
12-02-2016, 06:41 AM
May I ask what was the price for tinting a golf? I work in North Ryde and will probably get him to do my golf wagon.

Don't quote me, but my GTI was around $275 from memory. His prices are very reasonable and the quality of the job is second to none.

bellawii
12-02-2016, 08:55 PM
That's about right for a hatch based on prn31's pm. Rob has quoted me $330 for the wagon. It's getting done next Tuesday.

8porko3
21-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Heyyyyyy

Peteintas
02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Can anyone advise what level of trim dismantling is involved in tinting the side & rear windows ?

brad
02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Can anyone advise what level of trim dismantling is involved in tinting the side & rear windows ?

My guy in Sydney (Rob Salvia) doesn't dismantle anything and does a perfect job.

I can't understand why a tinter would increase his level of risk by dismantling the car.

danielb_c
02-04-2016, 08:52 PM

The inner seals at the bottom of each of the winding windows should come out, which requires popping the top of the door plastics first. You can't get the film in between the seal and the window without creating a gap, and if you cut it to shape instead the film will catch on the seal when the window is wound down.

They may opt to pop the piece of trim at the top of your hatch window for a better finish. The clips are pretty solid, so it's very unlikely they'll break any (I've done it myself to tuck away the wire for my dash cam).

Peteintas
03-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Thanks, suspected it would be along those lines.

baker_boy96
08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone know if Rob from Hunters Hill windowing tinting is still in business? I can't get in touch with him.

If now, any other suggestions for Northern Beaches or North of the harbour that do a good job and will do the little window?

Cheers

AdamD
08-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Does anyone know if Rob from Hunters Hill windowing tinting is still in business? I can't get in touch with him.

I believe he is. Fellow forum member Ozram had his Mk7 GTI tinted by Rob just recently (last couple of weeks).

brad
08-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

did you try both mobile & email?
Rob Salvia, Hunters Hill Window Tinting tintboss@bigpond.com.au 0418 464 185

baker_boy96
15-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. I did get in touch with him, and he's done my R and it looks great.

Rob's still a great option for tinting on the North Shore.

Vag4Life
22-06-2016, 10:40 PM
I heard that tinting the small a pillar window effects the deployment of the airbags. Any truth to this?

brad
24-06-2016, 09:48 AM
I heard that tinting the small a pillar window effects the deployment of the airbags. Any truth to this?

I cant see how. that would be like saying the difference between daytime & night time affects the airbags.

Who told you that information and what was their reasoning?

Vag4Life
25-06-2016, 01:33 PM
A window tinter, he said that a notice was sent out from VW not to tint the a pillar window due to air bag issues.

DKC
25-06-2016, 03:32 PM
I also had Suncare Rockdale telling me that apparently it's "impossible" to tint that A-pillar small window. They said that it's too small, not possible for fingers to get in etc. This was despite me telling them that other places had no problems (eg Rob@Hunters Hill or Reflec Effect etc), and they said that can't be true.

daniel123
25-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I also had Suncare Rockdale telling me that apparently it's "impossible" to tint that A-pillar small window. They said that it's too small, not possible for fingers to get in etc. This was despite me telling them that other places had no problems (eg Rob@Hunters Hill or Reflec Effect etc), and they said that can't be true.
Rob did mine, removed the pillars for better access. Disconnected the battery first to avoid triggering the airbags when he removed the pillars.

brad
25-06-2016, 05:11 PM
A window tinter, he said that a notice was sent out from VW not to tint the a pillar window due to air bag issues.
As I've never heard of it before & a quick google shows no indication, I'd think he was just making it up rather than admit he couldn't do the job.

A bit like telling my father in law that he couldn't get wifi at home on his ipad because his desktop computer was too old. It was their way of saying "we haven't a clue"

jingwen91
25-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, just purchased a new 110 Highline. Any idea where to have my windows tinted in melb?

Vag4Life
30-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Check out Wanted Tinting in Melb. Does an awesome job. Check out his FB page.

westenderbender
18-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Bumping this thread again. Any current recommendations for Melbourne? I've noticed that Wanted Tinting had a recommendation a few pages back, but that's quite a drive for me.

Any other recommendations?

danielb_c
18-07-2016, 11:25 PM

I had mine done at Sun Safe in Rooty Hill. It was fiddly, but they did it and it looks great.

A couple of others I called weren't willing to do it.

Cruiser
01-08-2016, 12:34 PM
As there are so many different films available does anyone know or have experience with what film best matches the factory tint on the GTI 40 years?

Cruiser
01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
I was just speaking with one of the tinting guys in Sydney (Solartint I think) and he told me that they can't legally do a tint as dark as the rear windows, does this sound right? I know there are legal and safety reasons for not going to dark but I just want my car to look uniform on all windows.

stellio78
01-08-2016, 05:35 PM
I had mine done at http://www.suncarerockdale.com.au/

I got the HP35 tint which is legal but I believe they will go as dark as you like but offer no warranty

Cruiser
02-08-2016, 10:38 PM
How does the HP35 look compared to the rears, is there a big difference. I'd love to see a photo.

Primordial
04-08-2016, 09:25 AM
I was just speaking with one of the tinting guys in Sydney (Solartint I think) and he told me that they can't legally do a tint as dark as the rear windows, does this sound right? I know there are legal and safety reasons for not going to dark but I just want my car to look uniform on all windows.

Go to Hunters Hill Window Tinting. They'll do whatever you want, including matching to the privacy glass on the rear. Also, they're one of the only places in Sydney that can tint the front quarter windows. Great service and great price too!

stellio78
04-08-2016, 07:31 PM
How does the HP35 look compared to the rears, is there a big difference. I'd love to see a photo.

My GTI didn't have any privacy glass on the rear windows

NSNO
25-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Hey everyone, first post on here. I've just picked up a GTI 40 and I'm wanting to get the front two windows tinted to match the rear privacy glass as closely as possible.

I'm glad that I read this forum this morning though as it has saved me a wasted journey. My car was booked in to get tinted today but then I read on here that some tinters will not do the front quarter windows. So I phoned up to ask the question and was told no, so cancelled as it would look odd them being untinted.

I'm based in Sydney and it looks like a lot of people are recommending Hunters Hill Window Tinting. Does anyone know if they're open on Saturday as on the website, it just says appointment only for every day.

Alternatively has anyone used OZTINT? I spoke to them over the phone and they can do the front quarter panel also and match the rear privacy glass.

Also what is the best tint to go for in terms of make? I've read that 3M is good but OZTINT told me that if I used this then it won't match the privacy glass.

I'm more interested in getting the OEM look with the privacy glass as opposed to the actual benefits of the tint.

brad
25-08-2016, 10:53 AM
be brave dude. Give Rob a call. He works 25/8. He'll fit you in either at his workshop or mobile.

Don't worry about brand - Robs been in business for 20 years and only uses good stuff.

VW Convert
25-08-2016, 11:07 AM
be brave dude. Give Rob a call. He works 25/8. He'll fit you in either at his workshop or mobile.

Don't worry about brand - Robs been in business for 20 years and only uses good stuff.

Best in the business and a nice bloke too.

Cheers

George

Primordial
25-08-2016, 11:53 AM

+1 Rob from Hunters Hill is definitely the way to go. Each time I've had Rob tint my cars all of them have been outside of office hours, and none of them at hunters hill. He'll work around you, will tint the quarter panels, and is cheap.

I've had multiple cars done by him, and none have ever had an issue with the tint after years of being on the car. Quality stuff. Just do it - there's a reason so many people recommend him! :rolleyes:

NSNO
25-08-2016, 03:31 PM
+1 Rob from Hunters Hill is definitely the way to go. Each time I've had Rob tint my cars all of them have been outside of office hours, and none of them at hunters hill. He'll work around you, will tint the quarter panels, and is cheap.

I've had multiple cars done by him, and none have ever had an issue with the tint after years of being on the car. Quality stuff. Just do it - there's a reason so many people recommend him! :rolleyes:

Ok thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely going to go with Rob now. It's good to know that he comes highly recommended. I definitely feel better now that he will do a good job and I don't have to worry about it being screwed up. I was a bit worried about it going wrong. If he can do the quarter panels then he must be good as other tinters won't touch them.

NSNO
27-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Does Rob accept payment by credit card?

ALCo4301
27-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Rob emailed me a bill after he completed the work and I made an EFT

SimoHDK
31-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Still struggling to find a good tinter in Melbourne. I've heard some suggestions but not getting far with no returned emails or phone calls!

mckennadt
31-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Had the dealer tint my Golf this week, upon delivery though I noticed that the little triangle A pillar windows were not tinted.

Does anyone know of a place in Canberra that does this?

NSNO
01-09-2016, 03:46 PM
So I got my windows tinted by Rob (including the front quarter panels) and yes he is a nice bloke and did a great job. I'm happy with the finish and it sets the car off nicely now with the rear privacy glass matching the front two windows.

If anyone has a Golf in Sydney and is looking at getting it tinted then Rob is your man.

roarner
01-09-2016, 05:16 PM
we need Sydney's Rob in Melb :(

SimoHDK
08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
we need Sydney's Rob in Melb :(

Definitely agree. Such a shame.

baker_boy96
22-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any tinter's in Perth?

sparkyboy69
22-09-2016, 11:46 PM
TKO Tinting in Carlisle baker_boy. Had my MK VII GTi done there yesterday. www.tkotinting.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jz714
16-10-2016, 04:58 AM
So I got my windows tinted by Rob (including the front quarter panels) and yes he is a nice bloke and did a great job. I'm happy with the finish and it sets the car off nicely now with the rear privacy glass matching the front two windows.

If anyone has a Golf in Sydney and is looking at getting it tinted then Rob is your man.

Can I have Rob's contacts please? Or Pm me

Cruiser
16-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Can I have Rob's contacts please? Or Pm me

Just Google Hunters Hill Tinting

Jz714
16-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks bud

Vagabond
16-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Worth mentioning Dave @ Reflect Effect near Parramatta. He only works from his workshop but does very good work and has been servicing car enthusiasts for years. He also does paint correction, OptiCoat and anti-chip film. It was actually great having him look at my car as he picked up on some imperfections on the black roof which he sorted out.

For my 40ed he applied a 45% Ceramic tint to the front windows to approximate the privacy glass. Also did the A-pillar windows (even laughed when I mentioned there are some tinters out there that wouldn't do it).

Worth noting the ceramic tint is neutral in color whereas the privacy glass has a cool tinge to it. Not noticeable to me day-to-day unless I stare for it. Not sure that I would use a cool-shaded tint on the front windows even if given the choice as it would make colors look different vs. looking through the front window.

Jz714
22-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Worth mentioning Dave @ Reflect Effect near Parramatta. He only works from his workshop but does very good work and has been servicing car enthusiasts for years. He also does paint correction, OptiCoat and anti-chip film. It was actually great having him look at my car as he picked up on some imperfections on the black roof which he sorted out.

For my 40ed he applied a 45% Ceramic tint to the front windows to approximate the privacy glass. Also did the A-pillar windows (even laughed when I mentioned there are some tinters out there that wouldn't do it).

Worth noting the ceramic tint is neutral in color whereas the privacy glass has a cool tinge to it. Not noticeable to me day-to-day unless I stare for it. Not sure that I would use a cool-shaded tint on the front windows even if given the choice as it would make colors look different vs. looking through the front window.

How much he charge for the tint?

R_LINE
28-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned him but Tom's Tinting in Hornsby is awesome. Took 6 cars to him never had an issue. 0416 135 314 is his number.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

telemeister
01-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned him but Tom's Tinting in Hornsby is awesome.

I have my new 92Tsi Comfortline (which i'm loving, btw) booked in with Tom next week. I do have a question which I forgot to ask. I am getting the premium IR and I'm concerned about whether or not this would interrupt any radio/gps signal? Anyone know?

R_LINE
02-12-2016, 07:36 AM
I have my new 92Tsi Comfortline (which i'm loving, btw) booked in with Tom next week. I do have a question which I forgot to ask. I am getting the premium IR and I'm concerned about whether or not this would interrupt any radio/gps signal? Anyone know?
I'm glad mate you chose him. He is great. Im not sure about your question mate maybe ask Tom himself.

Also Let him know Sakin referred you to him. He will look after you with price.

Kachingg
18-07-2017, 01:26 AM
Hey guys

Geting a panoramic sunroof with my new wagon thinking of tinting it nice and dark has anyone done this and what is the result like?

woofy
18-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Never done, it but know the guy who tinted one of my other cars usually included it. I have heard stories where it is not advisable due to them shattering, but never quite sure if that is an old wives tale. The standard tint in them has always been fine for me.

monkeysrus
18-07-2017, 11:46 AM
I tinted the pan roof on my R wagon, mainly to block out heat as it gets hot in summer. No issues so far.

Servo
18-07-2017, 12:14 PM
The cabin is quite dark so I have the visor open all the time. But like Woofy the standard tint's been fine for me too.

Kachingg
18-07-2017, 02:49 PM
I tinted the pan roof on my R wagon, mainly to block out heat as it gets hot in summer. No issues so far.
Thanks guys

I think the main reason is because the wagon pano is so much larger than the hatch version my wife has a polo with the pano and its fine but the wagon version is sooo much bigger

Thanks monkeysrus nice to know there are no issues i will talk to my detailer and get a quote

How dark a tint did you go?

monkeysrus
20-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Thanks monkeysrus nice to know there are no issues i will talk to my detailer and get a quote

How dark a tint did you go?

My tint was not dark, i just picked one with lots of heat rejection. The roof is pretty dark as is.

genebaby
15-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Thread mine!

I have a tint guy, but when I found out he didn't do the small front windows I am now looking for alternatives in Canberra.

Did anybody find a great place that can do the whole job in Canberra?

genebaby
15-07-2020, 03:50 PM
Hold the phone, he now says he can do them, but usually doesn't. So when I know more about when the car is arriving I'll book him in and he says he'll start with the small ones. If it's not going well I'll pull the plug.

gregozedobe
16-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Hold the phone, he now says he can do them, but usually doesn't. So when I know more about when the car is arriving I'll book him in and he says he'll start with the small ones. If it's not going well I'll pull the plug.

IIRC they usually have to make up a special tool to get into the small gap to do the small 1/4 windows. Some have tried removing the A pillar trim to improve access, but that risks breaking clips and/or introducing buzzes/rattles. That's why many tinters don't want to do them (too fiddly). The one on the driver's side is useless for any extra visibility anyway.

genebaby
16-07-2020, 06:14 AM
I'll make some calls today, I do want a good job, with minimal trouble.

genebaby
23-07-2020, 03:46 PM
So things didn't go well, he was not able to do the small window, no tool and forgot how difficult it was to access, and I really see the problem now that I have the car.

So it's booked in next week here: About | Diamond Window Tints (https://www.diamondtints.com.au/)

They are in Tuggeranong for all you Canberra people.

I'll be dropping it off next Thursday. They sold me on the tint over the phone. I'll let you know how it goes.

genebaby
30-07-2020, 08:43 PM
The tinting was done today and it looks like an excellent job. Just gotta wait for it to completely dry, but we are already looking cooler from the outside.

They did the small front window too, no dramas.

Saved me a trip to Sydney as well!

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/ad925336bf4623eec576ab7241a0db8c-1.jpg