PDA

View Full Version : Towbar for MY13 Touareg - any advice, tips ..etc would be greatly appreciated :)

okkanui
21-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

I have recently become the the proud owner of brand new Touareg V6 TDI. I am now in the process of sorting through the options for getting a towbar fitted (early days yet, so nothing decided) ... so any advice, tips ..etc would be greatly appreciated. Would also be keen to hear of any recommendations of auto workshops that are experienced with doing towbar fitups for Touareg at competitive price in the Melbourne area (south-east side).

cheers, Peter

Transporter
21-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Congratulations on a new Touareg!

I would stick with the genuine wiring, simply because it connects to the vehicle canbus and has potential to do a lot of damage, if not connected properly.
I know about one Touareg in SA that had an el. brake controller connected by auto electrician who apparently done this kind of jobs for the dealer and it went bad. So, you're warned. :)

Umai Naa!!
21-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah, definitely go genuine.

The trailer electrics are integrated into all the assist systems like Lane Assist, Park Assist, etc.

It's worth the extra money.

MultiplexMan
22-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Definitely stick with genuine.

Typical Prices
Towbar VGA803921TOUHORZ $902.00
Towbar Wiring Harness 7P0055202 $621.00
Labour to fit both items $396.00

NOTE: Specify the horizontal hitch model tow bar. There is some old stock floating around with the vertical connection. These are usually listed $150 less.

Mine was installed in 2 hours at a VW commercial vehicle workshop. The most professional VW experience in Australia to date!

okkanui
23-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Transporter, Umai Naa!!, MultiplexMan

Many thanks for your comments - much appreciated. I definitely want to go with a "horizontal hitch", and from other readings I have been doing, sticking with genuine seems to be the best course (especially when it comes to ensuring that wiring/control module integrates properly with the VW electronics ..etc)

cheers, Peter