PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful new Skoda Superb/VW Passat owner - What did you pay, do you know one for sale

pandahill
11-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi all

I am in the market for a new or ex demo/low km used Skoda Superb (Hatch or Wagon) or VW Passat (Wagon).

This is going to be my daily drive and the kid mobile for taking on family holidays (so lots of boot space required with easy access)

I am always skeptical of dealers and "promotions" I would love to hear what people paid for their Superbs/Passat's if you think you got a great deal.
Did you get much off the asking price, extras you got, or you recommend I ask for...?

Or if you are a dealer, or selling one in Brisbane I would love to hear from you

Private Messages welcome

ope126
11-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Pandahill, looks like you are doing some shopping around hey, no longer interested in the Mondeo?
If you live in Brisbane and you are a RACQ member, check out the latest Road Ahead Magazine.

I have owned two Passat's; 2008 2.0TFSI Sedan and a 2010 MY10.5 125TDI Highline Wagon.

I can tell you the Mondeo is much bigger in side, check out some of my other threads about putting 3 Baby Seats in these cars.

I have no first hand knowledge of the Skoda, so will reserve my judgement...

I loved the Passat (hence owning two), but I also love the Mondeo! (and the Jetta for that matter!!!)

pandahill
11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Pandahill, looks like you are doing some shopping around hey, no longer interested in the Mondeo?
If you live in Brisbane and you are a RACQ member, check out the latest Road Ahead Magazine.

I have owned two Passat's; 2008 2.0TFSI Sedan and a 2010 MY10.5 125TDI Highline Wagon.

I can tell you the Mondeo is much bigger in side, check out some of my other threads about putting 3 Baby Seats in these cars.

I have no first hand knowledge of the Skoda, so will reserve my judgement...

I loved the Passat (hence owning two), but I also love the Mondeo! (and the Jetta for that matter!!!)

I took both the Mondeo and the Superb home for a test drive, I like the Mondeo interior and all the safety bells and whistles (I was looking at the Titanium spec), but unfortunately it felt like I was driving a Barge.

The Skoda on the other hand is a large car that feels like a much smaller one with agility and nimbleness

My current drive is a Mazda, and I suppose I'm used to that go cart style handling that it has. The Skoda is close handling wise, but the Mondeo feels too large and cumbersome

Space wise I think the Skoda may win (hard to tell, Ford reports SEA volumes where Skoda report VDA)

My next test is a Passat, but I don't believe they come with as much kit as the Skoda Elegance.

By the way, what did you pick up your 2010 Passat for (new or used?)

Hillbilly
12-10-2013, 07:57 AM
I took both the Mondeo and the Superb home for a test drive, I like the Mondeo interior and all the safety bells and whistles (I was looking at the Titanium spec), but unfortunately it felt like I was driving a Barge.

The Skoda on the other hand is a large car that feels like a much smaller one with agility and nimbleness

My current drive is a Mazda, and I suppose I'm used to that go cart style handling that it has. The Skoda is close handling wise, but the Mondeo feels too large and cumbersome

Space wise I think the Skoda may win (hard to tell, Ford reports SEA volumes where Skoda report VDA)

My next test is a Passat, but I don't believe they come with as much kit as the Skoda Elegance.

By the way, what did you pick up your 2010 Passat for (new or used?)

My MY11 Passat cost $60K + a little bit with all the extras listed Best car I have ever owned and it is number 41.
They are cheaper now as Nav and RVC are free were $3700 in mine

I am way past having kids and have seen that some kid seats dont fit 3 across
A salesman tried to sell me a Mondeo but the black interior looked like a cave and the rattly diesel and mish mash of the dash put me off bigtime.

What about the new Mazda 6 wagon Looks nice but I dont like the dash I prefer the restrained (boring to some) VW interior LOL

readerr0r
15-10-2013, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't really consider the Mondeo if you're in the market right now. The new one is coming out next year and it's a big step up form the current one (which harks back all the way from 2007).

Its called the ford fusion in america, here's the website for it though I expect the euro/au spec will have some differences.
Ford - Cars, SUVs, Trucks & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com (http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/)

pandahill
15-10-2013, 10:08 AM
The Mondeo had all the bells and whistles and safety features which was attractive, BUT it drove like a bus. Coming from a small/medium car it feels very big and unwieldy especially in underground carparks (drives similar to a Falcon or commodore)
The Superb and Passat felt like much more nimble/agile cars and don't have that big car feeling (even though the boot space is large)
I took a new Mazda 6 for a drive yesterday, it just didn't feel as refined as the Skoda/VW, the pickup when accelerating felt delayed, the seats felt unsupportive and the steering disconnected.

My BIG challenge now is to find either a Passat or Superb wagon at a reasonable price.
I am aware of some ex rental ones about but.... I'm not so sure, especially with all of the bad press/doom and gloom about VW/Skoda reliability

Martin
15-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I looked at the Mondeo before buying a Skoda Octavia
It was heavy, slower and fuel economy was not one of it's strong points
(Personally I can't stand the dash in the current Ford line up)

One of our forum members recently bought a 2011 Superb for $22k
It's a really nice car and that's a such a bargain you need not worry about depreciation

pandahill
15-10-2013, 02:35 PM
For that price there are ex rentals about (2010-2011) but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk on a car that may have been flogged from new...

Martin
15-10-2013, 06:35 PM
The good thing about auto's and DSG is that while you can drive them hard and fast, you can't really flog them
You can't labor the engine, can't over rev the engine, can't screw up the gear change, etc...

notflyingscot
20-10-2013, 01:03 PM
For that price there are ex rentals about (2010-2011) but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk on a car that may have been flogged from new...

You've probably noted the Superb Wagons are generally that bit more expensive than the sedan/hatchback models. Keep your eye out for ex VAG group company cars which the dealers by at auction every few weeks. We got an Apr12 build / Nov12 registered Elegance Tsi Sedan with 5000kms for $25.5 a few weeks ago and so far very pleased with it. So far done 3000km at 7.9l/100 almost all within Sydney. As someone mentioned in another thread the on road performance shows that you should not place too much emphasis on horsepower and torque numbers.

pandahill
20-10-2013, 06:05 PM
You've probably noted the Superb Wagons are generally that bit more expensive than the sedan/hatchback models. Keep your eye out for ex VAG group company cars which the dealers by at auction every few weeks. We got an Apr12 build / Nov12 registered Elegance Tsi Sedan with 5000kms for $25.5 a few weeks ago and so far very pleased with it. So far done 3000km at 7.9l/100 almost all within Sydney. As someone mentioned in another thread the on road performance shows that you should not place too much emphasis on horsepower and torque numbers.

Wow great deal there. That's pretty much a new car. Did you buy from dealer or auction directly?

pandahill
20-10-2013, 09:49 PM
If you bought through a dealer what was their asking price?

notflyingscot
21-10-2013, 12:12 PM
FM a VW dealer. FM memory sticker price was $27.5 however last couple of days of the month and they often tend to be more prepared to deal:-)

Ozsko
23-10-2013, 05:54 PM
My son had a new Mazda Six home overnight last week to show me how the Active Cruise worked and I was impressed with the interior. It almost looked like they had used a VW interior as a model. The Superb these days is strting to fall behind with features due to its age but it is still an impressive car by any standard.

pandahill
23-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Well I bit the bullet and purchased a new Superb wagon $34,990 drive away, "apparently" one of only 3 left around the country.
Mine has to come from Victoria to Qld, so a 2 week wait...
But for the extra few thousand over an ex demo I'm happy to have bought new.

Ozsko
24-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Well I bit the bullet and purchased a new Superb wagon $34,990 drive away, "apparently" one of only 3 left around the country.

I wonder if the new model cars are in the country or is this a total run out sale? Did you hear anything on this? You will be very happy with the car, the name says all.

pandahill
24-10-2013, 07:56 PM
I wonder if the new model cars are in the country or is this a total run out sale? Did you hear anything on this? You will be very happy with the car, the name says all.
I believe Skoda are trying for a total run out. There is definitely limited stock remaining in Qld.
The dealers were apparently instructed that there would be no more new Superbs arriving in the country from mid year 2013, so this run out is the last few remaining.
The MY12 ambition 103TDi sedan listed on the Skoda website for $32,990 was apparently the sacrificial lamb in that there was only one of those remaining also, the rest are the $33,990 TSi ambition sedans.

I was advised that the new 2014 Octavia has left port and is on the boat, expected arrival in January, I'm unsure if the new Superbs were on the same boat.

This site suggests early 2014 for the new Superb 2013 Skoda Superb: revised styling, better efficiency | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/223483/2013-skoda-superb-revised-styling-better-efficiency/)

notflyingscot
26-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Congratulations. A new wagon for a 1K premium over the sedan cost sounds excellent. Look forward to hearing how you find it. If you're as happy as I am with ours you'll be fine.

Albervin
31-10-2013, 08:43 AM
I bought an ex demo Superb Elegance V6. It was nearly $15,000 cheaper than a comparable Passat. It had everything possible except sunroof fitted and cost $55K. The 5 year warranty and roadside assist was a bonus; I just received a card from Skoda confirming expiry of March 2017. The car did feel like a bit of a barge after my Audi A4 quattro but I am used to it now.

notflyingscot
31-10-2013, 10:30 AM
"5 year warranty"
Seem to be seeing reports from some Skoda owners that they have received confirmation of 5 year warranties from Skoda. Any idea what determines whether ones car gets the benefit of these extended warranties or not? All looks a bit of a lottery to me.

pandahill
31-10-2013, 07:49 PM
"5 year warranty"
Seem to be seeing reports from some Skoda owners that they have received confirmation of 5 year warranties from Skoda. Any idea what determines whether ones car gets the benefit of these extended warranties or not? All looks a bit of a lottery to me.
It seems that the dealers are either reluctant or misinformed about the 5 year warranty.
Prior to purchase I confirmed with the dealer that the car was eligible.
When I got my sales contract after paying the deposit it had no mention of warranty, on enquiry about the warranty I was then told that no only the 3 yr manufacturers wty is available with 5 years being an extension by the dealer (only if you have every service with them)
When I pressed them and showed them the clause on the web site and asked the manager, they then agreed that the 5 year manufacturers warranty applied.

The current sale clause for 5 year wty for Superbs is "Offers available at participating ŠKODA dealers on new stock vehicles sold and delivered between 1 October 2013 and 30 November 2013. While stocks last. Excludes fleet, government and rental buyers. Not available with any other offer."

The lottery may be the "participating Skoda dealers" part...?

Albervin
02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
"5 year warranty"
At the time I bought the car (Feb 2012) the 5 year warranty applied to all company demo vehicles. Mine had 3,200Km on the clock and totally unmarked except for a scratch on the front left wheel, and I mean a scratch. I had to get down and have a close look to see it.