PDA

View Full Version : Noisy T5 cabin

otzi
06-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Hi. - New to this forum. looks interesting.

My wife and I took a second hand 128 combi van out for a test run. No seats only a rubber mat. It wasn't too long before the van drumming got the better of us and yes we are old.

Can these vans be made quieter? Wooden floor? carpet? Wheel arches? Any experience out there regarding this, one could say minor problem? She, (shhh) would no way continence buying the van as it stands. Sorry, rolls. Otherwise we found the van quite good with an excellent front diff lock and unlike earlier models the T5 handled the gravel roads very well.

phaeton
06-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Welcome to VWwA otzi j:

One of the popular LCV mags, Delivery mag has a Caddy as a long term runabout.

Anyway as they did country driving they decided to have sound deadening installed in the Caddy via rubber or carpets (can't remember which one sorry).

I think carpet and rubber would be the go.

I would also ask the dealer as they may have a clue via previous customers ;)

Good Luck with your future purchase whatever it may be.

WEDEL.1
06-10-2007, 09:31 PM
My friend Brian has a 128kw Transporter, with rubber flooring, windows and a seat. I found it very quite.

I think an empty van will be noisy.

Maris

BobD
06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Must be possible to make them quieter because the T5 Multivan is much quieter, both road noise and engine noise than a T5 Kombi Beach for instance. It is also way quieter and much better ride than my olt T4 van with seats and windows.

When I first bought my T4 I only had rubber floor mats and it was very loud, especially on course bitumen roads. Within a couple of weeks I was sick of it and got a plywood floor fitted under the rubber and carpetted the wheel arches and some other areas to try to reduce it. Unfortunately it made no noticable difference so I got used to it and didn't worry about it any more after a few weeks. With the windows and 8 seats it didn't drum much, though. Just loud road roar.

I don't know what they do to the Multivan but it is way better than the T4 and has a real luxury feel about it on most roads.

gregozedobe
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Can these vans be made quieter?
Welcome aboard Otzi, I found my bare van significantly quieter once I put windows in and started to fit it out as a camper (floor matting, bed, fridge etc). Also if you lower the tyre pressure a bit it seems to help with road roar (OK unless you are fully loaded). Best of all is to avoid coarse gravel aggregate bitumen (smooth hotmix like on the M7 in Sydney is the best surface I've found, unfortunately it costs :? ).

Another tactic could be to take your Mrs for a test drive in a Hiace diesel van first, then driving in a T5 will seem wonderfully quiet by comparison j:

Seano
08-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Very easy to reduce the drumming of an empty van. You just need insulation and lining. Basically bitumen anti-drumming panels, polyester batts and plywood. Your local VW dealer would also be able to source a factory internal fitout kit for the T5 if you prefer something stock - but it will cost.

T4's handle dirt roads just fine...well....the syncro versions do!!

njg02
17-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I've got factory fitted rubber floor in the back,covered with old carpet. I've also got two side windows. No problems with noise.

Neil

95vr6
19-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi, i am about to order another T5 with comfort package which comes with extra noise insulation, hope this helps on the freeways with course bitumin.