PDA

View Full Version : Rack Ends solution. steering rack problem fix

Edison
09-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Everyone! :D I'm Edison, I have two little GOLFs now, I started out with a DIESEL GOLF, 4 door gld about 76-78 i can't remember, and looking for parts for the blue slip, meant dead ends at the parts places and even the dealer too, so looking for a full set of parts I came across a little red 2 DOOR GOLF with a pink slip which I registered of course (I had been driving a thirsty 92 magna).
Not able to ruin a working car I continued my search for a full set and found one on sale on ebay. The car was partly stripped (park your car a few extra feet up the street from Loons Shed, just for safety when you visit, there are Oompaloompas I suspect) so I didn't end up wanting to buy it, but whoa! This bloke, what a find. He gave me a rack and window, and the rack was much better and would get me through rego.
The new and old steering racks both had LOOSE RACK ENDS the rack ends can be checked by jacking a front wheel off the ground if it rotates like you rotate it with the steering wheel, but the steering wheel isn't turning and there is play, then the rack may have worn joints. It's a ball and socket in a straight axis. The ball is on a footish long rod, One rack end has an adjustable length and one is crimped. My mechanic thought they have left and right hand threads, however I found you can use two adjustable length ends on the same rack. at least one is adjustable for toe-in wheel alignment I suspect.
Anyhoo, I'm an ELECTRICAL expert if you have electrical probs please ask. I also intend to convert the Diesel to run on USED COOKING OIL..

mikinoz
09-05-2006, 09:44 PM
welcome!

hope the bio diesel project gets up, my plans for one were dashed recently... :(

peace

Golf Loon
09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Nice write up mate. Thanks for adding to the knowledge base, glad it all worked out sweet for you.

Edison bought the red 2 door that was on ebay guys and its a nice car. Get the diesel project going, there are a few diesel nuts on here :wink:

worm
10-05-2006, 09:27 AM
WHen you say RUn the car on used cooking oil, i presume you mean turning the cooking oil into bio-diesel? If this is the case, no midifications are needed.
If you mean straight out cooking oil, with no additives then I would be very interested in your progress.