PDA

View Full Version : Potential Superb buyer

AUSL
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a second car and am considering a Superb. I had my eye on a VRs but the harder suspension along with the fact that my wife is pregnant had me looking toward the Superb. I'm in Brisbane and there appears to be several used sedans in Ambition and Elegance trim, but with the 118 engine. Everything I've read suggests that the diesel 125 would be better in the heavier Superb. Is this correct? I'm hoping to test drive the cars in sedan and wagon form on the weekend.

I could use some pointers from all you knowledgeable Superb owners. How do you think the smaller petrol engine would cope on the car? Should I keep looking for a 125tdi? The wagon shape I like appears to be in Ambition trim. What sort of upgrades do the Elegance trim bring?

Thanks for your help.

Jake02
03-10-2013, 02:46 AM
I'd certainly go the 125TDI, but only because it's a fantastic engine and it gets the more reliable 6-speed, rather than 7-speed, DSG. Having said that, the 118TSI is more than enough engine for such a big car.

sstorra
03-10-2013, 07:02 AM
How do you think the smaller petrol engine would cope on the car?

We have had our 118TSI Elegance wagon for two years and I have never found it to be under-powered or sluggish, including overtaking on the highway.

To put that into some perspective, prior to the Superb, my three previous cars were a MY99 WRX, a MY03 WRX and a MY08 Golf GTI.

I can't compare it to the 125TDI though, as for various reasons I don't like diesels, so we never considered it.

However, right from my first test drive I was very impressed at how well the 118TSI engine and transmission work together (never had any issues with our 7-speed DSG either). The way the torque is delivered works perfectly for driving in the real world. It's also a great argument for not focusing on peak power/torque numbers. We also selected the optional steering wheel with paddles, so if the mood takes me I can still have a bit of fun with it too.

As for the difference between Ambition and Elegance, a quick look at the brochure on the Skoda site will show you the differences - we actually selected the dash/door trim from the Ambition in our car as we didn't like the plastic wood in the Elegance - other than that, the Elegance is a great spec.

Shakey
03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a second car and am considering a Superb. I had my eye on a VRs but the harder suspension along with the fact that my wife is pregnant had me looking toward the Superb. I'm in Brisbane and there appears to be several used sedans in Ambition and Elegance trim, but with the 118 engine. Everything I've read suggests that the diesel 125 would be better in the heavier Superb. Is this correct? I'm hoping to test drive the cars in sedan and wagon form on the weekend.

I could use some pointers from all you knowledgeable Superb owners. How do you think the smaller petrol engine would cope on the car? Should I keep looking for a 125tdi? The wagon shape I like appears to be in Ambition trim. What sort of upgrades do the Elegance trim bring?

Thanks for your help.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is a couple of questions.

1. What do I need the car for? Towing, long haul trips, fuel economy etc
2. How many kilometres do you do in a year?

I have an MY13 Superb sedan Elegance with everything. (Roof, Park Assist, Blinds etc) It's a 125 KW TDi. I purchased the vehicle because of the amount of kilometres I travel each year. I normally do about 40,000 per year give or take. So for me the Diesel made sense. Last January I drove about 700 Kilometers round trip from Melbourne to the Sunraiser area of the Murray River. 42 degrees in the shade, air conditioning on full bore, vehicle loaded and I still returned 4.7 litres per 100 Ks. I also tow occasionally so a TDi made sense. Diesels do need to be driven and driven regularly. They need to be warmed up and operated for a length of time to run efficiently. Not short distances. The Diesel Particle Filter does require a lengthy drive to operate efficiently. So if your after great fuel ecomony then I'd pick the Diesel. If you do low kilometres and stop start traffic...go for the petrol vesion. The 118 TSi is a great car and the motor is by no means lazy. Does need to be kicked along occasionally but so long as you remember it is hauling about 1680 Kilos of Czechoslovakia thorough bred. The Elegance is definately the better interior but you'll pay a little more. Be careful though...some of the older versions (MY 10) didn't have blue tooth as standard. Some great deals at moment and if you shop around and are prepared to bargin hunt you'll find what you're after. Good luck!

Elektron
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks for your help.

Can't comment on the engine performance, I suspect the 7kW of difference won't amount to much. The diesel will probably perform better in hilly/mountainous drives but how often do we do that.

We got the 125TDi, while we do shorter drives they're enough to warm up the engine and then some. And the DPF gives me an excuse to go on a drive on the weekends :)

The main differences between the Ambition and Elegance for me were:

* Xenon lights - they're actually very, very good - excellent road coverage and the AFS works quite well
* Sat Nav - it's ok, the map coverage is sufficient but it's inexcusable that VW is still not providing us with TMC
* Memory seats - my wife is much shorter than me, it's nice to be able to press a button and have the seat and mirrors returned to my setting
* Dual zone climate control - again, we have slightly different temperature preferences
* Automatic parallel park - my wife uses it more than me but it's a nice feature when the little one is crying.
* The storage system in the wagon - allowing you to separate luggage, or better yet, shopping - very useful.

Other than that, they're similar. You get the same safety options (air bags) regardless of the model.

AUSL
03-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll keep them in mind when I take a look at the cars on the weekend. I'm not in a rush so I'll be taking my time as I hope to keep the car for a good few years. I'll let you know how things go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

AUSL
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Took an ambition sedan out for a test drive on the weekend. I have to say I was very impressed. The 118tsi engine felt real good specially paired with the dsg gearbox. I also took a cx5 and a tiguan 132 pacific out as well (the wife is quite partial to a SUV) and I have to say the vw was the more impressive car of the two. I love the way the turbo vw engines perform. With the new octavia coming soon I might delay the decision until it arrives. So many choices :-)

pandahill
15-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Took an ambition sedan out for a test drive on the weekend. I have to say I was very impressed. The 118tsi engine felt real good specially paired with the dsg gearbox. I also took a cx5 and a tiguan 132 pacific out as well (the wife is quite partial to a SUV) and I have to say the vw was the more impressive car of the two. I love the way the turbo vw engines perform. With the new octavia coming soon I might delay the decision until it arrives. So many choices :-)

Please delay I'm looking at buying one too :-)

AUSL
11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I decided to go with a Superb Elegance sedan. With the wait times on the new Octy and the fact that a Superb makes a great value car made it hard to ignore.

Just put down a deposit on one in Melbourne. Got a mate taking a look at it tomorrow. Fingers crossed all things go well

pandahill
11-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Ive had mine for 3 weeks and 1000km now. 118tsi ambition superb estate in silver
Absolutely fantastic car, loving it.

You won't regret your descision

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk 2

RogerMcDoger
12-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I've had mine for a shade over 2 weeks now. 118tsi ambition sedan. Great car, comfy to drive, and comfy for the passengers. Took the in-laws for a drive - they're test driving both Supurbs and Octavias this weekend for their new car. Ringing endorsement I'd say :)

AUSL
12-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I spoke to my mate in Melbourne. The car is great not issues. I'm thinking i'll be going ahead. All that remains is that i make sure I can fit it in my Garage :D

Don't foresee a problem though.

Whats the usual process when it comes to sorting out payment with regard to interstate purchases? 1/2 now and 1/2 on delivery?

White Elegance sedan here I come :icon27:

pandahill
13-12-2013, 12:57 PM
AUSL

A word of warning though, I take it that if you had a friend inspect the car that you are getting it 2nd hand?

There are A LOT of ex Europcar Superbs out there second hand. They may still be good, but you never know.

I am also aware that in Brisbane at least some ex Volkswagon group Superbs were leased to Europcar then sold on as "Company owned" vehicles.

AUSL
13-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the tip pandahill. The car I'm looking at has very low Km. So I don't think it was an ex-europecar vehicle. Also I'm buying from interstate from a skoda dealer in Melbourne.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

pandahill
13-12-2013, 10:27 PM
If low km is 12,000kms+ probably ex fleet/rental car.

If less then maybe ex demo/skoda corporate

The dealer "should" be able to advise previous owner and if it was an ex lease

What year? they may be disposing on age/while it is just in wty period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

AUSL
14-12-2013, 04:10 PM
According to the dealer, it's an ex Skoda corporate car. Was first registered in 2013 so it's still under manufacturers warranty. I'm hoping it will be delivered in time for Christmas :D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

BenM
14-12-2013, 04:28 PM
According to the dealer, it's an ex Skoda corporate car. Was first registered in 2013 so it's still under manufacturers warranty. I'm hoping it will be delivered in time for Christmas :D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

Which dealer AUSL (just out of interest)? Feel free to PM if you don't want to say publicly. I'm just wondering if it's the same one I just bought my RS from as I think they had a couple of Superbs like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

pandahill
14-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Good stuff have warranty will travel. Def not europcar then they are all 10's and 11's

Hope you get your christmas present early

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk 2

AUSL
23-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Picked up my Candy white Elegance sedan from the transporter this morning. Sorting out rego tomorrow. Tried to get things sorted last minute today and got pulled over by the cops twice in 15 minutes. Might be better to leave the superb at home till I get the plates

pandahill
24-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Great you got it before Christmas

If I pass a candy sedan I'll give a wave from my silver wagon

AUSL
24-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Here's the new toy

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/12/a2agehyd-1.jpg

AUSL
24-12-2013, 10:04 PM
If I pass a candy sedan I'll give a wave from my silver wagon

Same here I'll keep my eye out for a silver wagon. Incidentally saw one in forest Lake today wasn't you by any chance was it?

notflyingscot
27-12-2013, 02:47 PM
SNAP!
Trust you are enjoying the new toy. We're five months now since delivery and still enjoying every drive even if has almost all been cross city drives in typical Sydney traffic. Hopefully get a chance to stretch its legs in the New Year.

BenM
27-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Very nice AUSL and glad you got it all sorted before Christmas! I had to do much the same hung with my vRS.

Hopefully you have a bit of time off over Christmas to enjoy the new wheels.

AUSL
27-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Yeah I'm loving the car. Thinking of getting the 3 spoke steering wheel with paddles from Skodatele. Has anyone done something similar?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk