PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up on DPF Sensor

Ozsko
26-09-2013, 07:51 PM
About nine months ago I had a DPF sensor failure and had to replace it. Ever since then the car has had an engine light on and if the code was cleared the engine light came back of a day or so later. I was working night shift through a lot of this period and took the approach that the car still worked so stuff it and I will get it fixed when I have time.

The time came last week when the car went in for service. I told them to sort it out and I didn't want to see it until it was fixed as I had another car to drive. They had a crack at fixing it by replacing the sensor that was new less than a year ago and test drove it overnight declaring it fixed. i was sceptical to say the least and sure enough it came on again and was back to the dealer the same day.

After a lot of mucking around, multiple sensors and then getting VW tech involved it turns out that there is a parts supercession on the sensor as it is a known problem but no one had bothered to circulate a tech bulletin. It has taken the best part of a fortnight to sort this out and full marks to Southern Classic Cars in Wollongong who swallowed the cost of the whole thing. I can't ask better than that.

vdubmotorworx
26-09-2013, 08:59 PM
its been a known issue for about 2 years now....part number changed multipul times back then...there are two different part numbers depending on engine code..may be they fitted the wrong one.... VDUB....

Umai Naa!!
26-09-2013, 09:35 PM
May also need the ECU adapted to the new sensor.

vdubmotorworx
27-09-2013, 05:33 AM
yeh..when the new sensor G450 was fitted the ecu should have been adapted to the sensor and then a fored regen of the DPF to clean out the system....

Transporter
27-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Also, the fault on the dash requires that the driver seeks the workshop in much shorter time than several months (9months), otherwise there is a great risk that you will clog the DPF beyond regeneration and it will need replacing.
The logged faults will reveal that the driver was driving for the extended period of time and most likely asked to pay for the clogged DPF.

Umai Naa!!
27-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes, ^that as well.

Never just keep driving with the engine fault light on with a modern diesel. Get it checked out and fixed as soon as possible.

vdubmotorworx
27-09-2013, 10:33 AM
DPF under warranty is very rare..only ever seen one go through...and they are so expensive!...

PassatB6
29-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes, ^that as well.

Never just keep driving with the engine fault light on with a modern diesel. Get it checked out and fixed as soon as possible.

I recently had an engine warning light come on in my Octavia. Turned out to be a pressure differential sensor. The dealer told me the rule is to keep driving as long the engine is performing normally.

Transporter
29-09-2013, 12:53 PM
I recently had an engine warning light come on in my Octavia. Turned out to be a pressure differential sensor. The dealer told me the rule is to keep driving as long the engine is performing normally.

That's a bit silly to say. They were probably to busy to fit you in.
It doesn't take that long to replace it.