PDA

View Full Version : Warranty time !

Grinderman
23-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi all, my daughter has owned her light blue 5dr up! for nearly a year now and it has been a wonderful and extremely economical first car for her (first brand new VW in family). She took the car in for it's 30,000km service and the service manager said the flywheel needs replacing. The mechanics noticed a clunking noise in the bellhousing during gearchanges so they decided to sort it before it became a problem. So after the initial shock of giddy needing fixing so early in its life, I realized that maybe it was a good thing that this VW dealership was being pro-active in keeping the customers car in perfect order. So full points to WHIPPLES VOLKSWAGEN in toowoomba, QLD. I dont get to drive the car very often and although I noticed a slight noise when I drove it last, I thought it was just a 'characteristic' of the up! So the parts are on order and hopefully a loan car will be issued during repairs. At least the clunk is not being ignored:cool46:

Ernz1981
24-09-2013, 12:38 AM
30,000km is alot of driving in the 1st year.

I just traded in my UP! with 18,000km on there after 9 months driving. The only niggle I had during my ownership was that it was hard to get into 1st gear on cold mornings and would always crunch when putting it into reverse unless you double clutch. And an unknown buzzing sound when the brakes are pressed lightly when the clutch is depressed at standstill on a hill.

I got a feeling the gearbox/clutch is a weak point for these cars.

Hillbilly
24-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Interestingly I saw an Up at another dealers recently, sitting forlornly outside with the gearbox out of it.

Yours may not be an isolated instance

vdubmotorworx
24-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Not a known issue at the moment with the up!.....

Grinderman
24-09-2013, 09:32 PM
She may have done 30,000km but they are mostly highway miles. From my experience cars (if maintained) do not really wear out when driven on the highway so although the up! may have a little engine I would not be surprised if it lasted 300,000ks +. By then my daughter will have saved so much money on fuel that she could buy another one :)

Tobes_WIR35
25-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Interesting. My fiancé's Up! makes a similar clunking sound, I think it's when the clutch is depressed, but it's most noticeable at lower speeds or stopped. It's done it since new, it's only 10 months old with about 3500kms on it. I'll get her to ask the service department to check it out when she gets her service done. Would be nice to get rid of the clunk, it's the only niggle I have with the car. Other than that it's brilliant

Ernz1981
26-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I am familiar with the 'clunk' when the clutch is depressed. Wasn't really fussed by it though, it went away by itself after i took it down to for a road trip (not just the usual running around).

Two things i did notice on my particular Up! was a whistling sound when pressing the accelerator traveling >= 110km/hr in 5th gear.

The brakes would also shudder when slowing down at those speeds. The dealer inspected the brakes at the first service and said everything was fine.

Considering freeway driving isn't the intended purpose of the vehicle i figured it was acceptable (it's small car). At least it can do freeway driving....which you can't say the same for its competitors in the same weight class (e.g the Alto, and smaller engined micra).

Tone
11-12-2013, 06:30 AM
I just traded in my UP! with 18,000km on there after 9 months driving. The only niggle I had during my ownership was that it was hard to get into 1st gear on cold mornings and would always crunch when putting it into reverse unless you double clutch.

I find I occasionally get a crunch when putting my up! into reverse. It doesn't always happen though. The only other similar transmission-related niggle (although it might be a design feature) is the 'electronic flywheel' effect. It's only really noticeable when changing gears at high revs, and it's nowhere nearly as bad as it is on a Yaris, but it took a little while to get used to.

Other than needing another 20kW or so, the up! has been a great little drive for the last 7 months and 19,000km. Mainly highway kilometres.

EvoBlitz
11-12-2013, 09:03 AM
And an unknown buzzing sound when the brakes are pressed lightly when the clutch is depressed at standstill on a hill.

This is the relay engaging for the hillstart assist (normal behavior). It engages the handbrake electronically when it notices you are on a significant gradient.

Two things i did notice on my particular Up! was a whistling sound when pressing the accelerator traveling >= 110km/hr in 5th gear.

This is a kind of induction noise, depending on the design of air inlet, certain speeds will cause the air to rush over areas quicker creating this noise.