PDA

View Full Version : Auto Brake Problem

rpps
12-09-2013, 07:00 AM
I took my Golf on a long run yesterday out in the country, on returning to the city I pulled up at the first set of traffic lights on a slight hill so I put my foot on the clutch and the brake pedal, then I noticed a yellow warning light come on and a message on the dash "brake light failure".
When I took my foot off the brake pedal the car rolled back even though I had the hill start assist (HSA) brake turned on, both lights on the HSA and Auto Brake buttons were off and I had to manually pull on the Auto Brake button to get the car to hold.
The HSA and Auto brake wouldn't work until I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off and then on with the ignition key, it worked ok from then on and no more warning message and both lights came back on the buttons.
It doesn't give me much confidence in this Auto Brake system, I hope that seeing I got a warning message that when I take it in to the local VW Dealer they can plug the car into their computer and diagnose what the fault was.

Moonee
20-11-2014, 11:13 PM
This happened to me tonight :(

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/11/akkegm-1.jpg

What did your dealer say?

Of concern is my car (standard GTI) it at least a year newer build than yours. Would have thought VW would have ironed out this bug by now.

(note mine didn't refer to a "brake light failure", it referred to an error with the "electric parking brake".

The only way I could clear the error message and get Auto Hold to start working again was to stop the car, turn off ignition, turn on ignition.

vdubmotorworx
21-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Get it checked for service campaigns for the brake system. Just go in or ring up with your VIN number....also i had similar the other day with hand brake jammed on unable to release...switch was full of sticky spilt cola!...VDUB..