PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil!

vee_dub
08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am researching on some engine oil for my mk3, please help me which one is better for the dub.

For mobile 1. But I dunno which vicosity is suitable for the dub!

My car is getting old, just wondering is it better to use thicker oil??

Thank You,
Fred

golfvr6
08-05-2006, 03:28 PM
always used mobil 1 synthetic on the vr6 - but have read something saying that changing to synthetic on an old engine can give trouble? anyone else care to comment?

worm
08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I always thought that using the expensive fully synthetic oil in older engines was useless as it leaks past the rings and other places :? :?:

Golf Loon
08-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Synthetic is ok, but you must flush out all the old oil and change the filter. I once blew a rod out through the side of a block in my Scirocco Storm by putting in synthetic, without changing the filter. :oops: I`m older and wiser now.

I use Castrol Magnatec in most of my VWs and they seem to like it :lol:

syncro
08-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Synthetic's the only way to go. But make sure it is really synthetic like Mobil 1. Use only genuine filters.

SOHC
08-05-2006, 07:23 PM
:P I m using 5W-30 from Castrols...Synthetic
man i ain't using geniune oil filters...using the popular Ryco

WABIT
08-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Synthetic is ok, but you must flush out all the old oil and change the filter. I once blew a rod out through the side of a block in my Scirocco Storm by putting in synthetic, without changing the filter. :oops: I`m older and wiser now.

I use Castrol Magnatec in most of my VWs and they seem to like it :lol:

gee wow!!!

wabit

Bug_racer
08-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I'll stand by genuine or OEM oil filters
Ive heard of reports of engines blowing due to oil pressure problems on cars in US and I've seen cars that wont run correctly cause the fuel filter has blocked up not allowing fuel flow

Do you know what oil / fuel pressure our engines run at and what oil / fuel pressure ryco / repco oil filters are rated at ?

golf3
08-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Is that a rhetorical question?

syncro
08-05-2006, 08:57 PM
:...using the popular Ryco

Very Bad :(

vinderliker
08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I am using Valvoline Max Life in the ageded Passat it is supposed to recondition the rings and seals. I have been given advice from the local VW guru Peter that I should stick to a good mineral based oil. I also added some Nulon engine stuff to it as well at the last oil change and there is no tappity sounds or metallicy unusual noises whilst in the engine is in motion.

SOHC
08-05-2006, 09:19 PM
:...using the popular Ryco

Very Bad :(

owww... :( is it that bad?? damn, i juz bought one to put on my car... coz i thought genuine would be expensive, then i betta grab one up

vee_dub
08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Man thanks for all this comments.

I learnt heaps.
Yep I heard vw dealer use castrol magnatec.

So I really dont know, Mobile 1 or Magnatec.

I got a genuine filter already, I bought two of them last time so I hope i wont blow my rods out ...woooo bang!

Cheer,

Fred.

vinderliker
08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I just used a valvoline filter,only cause they were on special as the same time I bought the oil, was I wrong to do this? Should I have got a filter from someone in the Know?[/quote]

imported_brackie
09-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I use Valvoline Blue diesel engine oil in my 3 diesels and my 2 tractors. It's about $80 for a 20L drum at Cummins. I also get my oil, air and fuel filters from them. They ain't OEM but I've been using them for years and years with never a problem. I have to admit that I'm a filter change fanatic and it's paid off over the years.

Nulon products? The only experience I've had of them is their anti-friction Tefon oil additive. I was impressed when Marlows in WA treated a Holden engine with it then dropped the oil out and drove it from Perth to Bunbury and back. The RAC oversaw the operation and reported no damage to the engine. I used it in my first Golf diesel and clocked up 180,000km and the engine still ran like new. I reckon it also improved performance and fuel economy but probably not by much.

Back to the subject of filters......I can remember (vaguely) a report on filters in "Choice" magazine back in the 80's. It certainly confirmed that "filters ain't filters". Does anybody have it? That would settle the argument once and for all.

worm
09-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I have used nothing but Ryco's in my golfs, as has dad in his VR6 and we have had no problems.
A bit of brand snobbery maybe.....

syncro
09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I have seen many Golfs with rods through the block with Ryco filters.
Ryco list about four filters for VWs and VW list about 15.
I think the Ryco filter for a Golf was designed for a Corolla or something.

What's wrong with buying genuine filters?

imported_brackie
09-05-2006, 08:34 AM
I have seen many Golfs with rods through the block with Ryco filters.
Ryco list about four filters for VWs and VW list about 15.
I think the Ryco filter for a Golf was designed for a Corolla or something.

What's wrong with buying genuine filters?

I think we need educating, Syncro. Please explain to us why OEM are better than after market.

Golf Loon
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
VW Filters are $10 from the dealer, an Ryco or others are that much, or more from Supercheep. It only helps if you live near a vw dealership though.

syncro
09-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Volkswagen spend a lot of money on R & D whereas Ryco, "hey Fred this Corolla one screws straight on a Golf".

Why not use a genuine?

ausgolfer
09-05-2006, 08:50 AM
What I've been told is that VW OEM filters have a spring loaded pressure valve inside them which helps with things like hydraulic tappets and oil squirters. When they're 15 bucks per filter why bother the risk with another brand.

I've got a Mk1 Gti style oil filter adapter for my 16v which has the fittings for an oil cooler rather than the original mk2/3/4 water/oil sandwich plate arrangement, also I'll be able to add an additional external oil filter which is never a bad thing.
Haven't fitted it up yet, one of many jobs that comes when I have the Passat registered in less than a week.

imported_brackie
09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
What I've been told is that VW OEM filters have a spring loaded pressure valve inside them which helps with things like hydraulic tappets and oil squirters.

Some filters have a valve to prevent oil/fuel draining back when the motor isn't running. This is particularly important with inverted oil filters (like the one on my Pug diesel). But I was hoping for some technical comparisons such as micron gap, number of filter elements, type of material, capacity etc. Syncro? Anybody? I reckon if we make a statement like, "This one's better than that one..." we should be able to back it up with some technical information.
Here's an American site that at least has some empirical evidence

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

worm
09-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Well I could drive 5 min up the rd and get a ryco or drive 30 min and get a OEM :roll:

syncro
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
I've seen too many Golfs with rods through the block with non genuine filters.

Why buy a Volkswagen and then slowly convert it?

Filters also have overpressure valves. Different pressures for different engines.

worm
09-05-2006, 09:54 AM

Whos to say that thats because of the filter? Maybe it just because most have non genuine filters.

I hardly think buying a non genuine filter is converting a vw to something else.

Anyways, not much point in arguing over something that none of us have any proof over.

gtimk5
09-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I always use Mann filters. They are the original supplier of filters to VW. They are cheaper than original. After saying that, I service a lot of new VWs, where as I use genuine to avoid any later warranty hassles.
Years ago we did a test on a 2L kombi and found that with the Ryco oil filter, it ran 12lbs less oil pressure than with a Mann filter. Ryco can occasionaly show signs of leakage too I have noticed, also sometm es getting a bit loose later on. :D

syncro
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM

Whos to say that thats because of the filter? Maybe it just because most have non genuine filters.

Out of around ten deceased engines, eight had Rycos and the other two were white filters (brand unknown). Most Golfs that I have seen in Sydney have OEM or genuine filters.

Bug_racer
09-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Try pulling off a no name brand oil filter off a 2.5 transporter then get back to me .

Ive seen cars not run using aftermarket filters . Im strongly against it . Its as bad as running the wrong heat range plug . Its still gonna run , but it aint gonna run right and eventually stop . Its your engine your risking not mine

Golfwise
09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Its like your kidneys ,healthy ones and you will live forever .
Filters and quality oil is most important.
I serviced one particular mk1 Golf for over 20 years and it always had top quality oil and a genuine or Mann filter and at 430 k was running like a clock but needed the valve guides doing.

vee_dub
09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Cool, Just wondering what engine oil is suitable?
Because when I read the service manual, it said VW500 00?? What does that mean?

There are this table saying 5W-30, 0W-40 SAE?

Cheer,
Fred.

golfvr6
09-05-2006, 04:33 PM
In answer to your oil number question:

The viscosity of any oil changes with temperature. The higher the temperature, the lower the viscosity—the oil thins out. On the flipside, the lower the temperature the higher the viscosity. Because of this, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a series of viscosity classifications that establish oil performance at 100 and 0 degrees Celsius (212 and 32 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively).

Highs and Lows
Low-viscosity oils flow better than high-viscosity ones—the lighter-weight fluid is easier to pump and therefore circulates faster through the engine's various galleries. Low-viscosity oils also maintain a lower oil pressure, but the oil pump delivers a greater volume through the galleries than it would with thicker (higher-viscosity) oils. Heavier oils also tend to operate at higher temperatures because the oil pump has to work harder to force the lubricant through the system. Oil does not compress readily, so the added pressure increases the temperature. In the end, high-viscosity oils maintain a higher oil pressure, but the pump delivers a smaller volume of oil.

Multigrades
Multigrade oils typically begin as base oils, such as 10W. Then viscosity-index modifiers (polymers) are added in an effort to stabilize the viscosity. This allows a 10W40 oil to flow like a 10W at cold temperatures and a 40W at higher temperatures.

imported_brackie
09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Good explanation. In simple terms: It's better to have a large volume of thin oil circulating at a low pressure than a small volume of thick oil circulating at a high pressure. Gotta remember that oil not only lubricates but cools metal-to-metal surfaces.

vee_dub
09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
OK!

No worries, I got some Mobile 1 5W40 today at supercheap auto.

Gonna do the service on the weekends.

Hope i am doing it right??!!

Cheer,
Fred

Bug_racer
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
5 weight is too thin for vr6
I use 15 40 grade for 12v vr6 engines

vee_dub
09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
oh not the vr6..the 2L GL :D

is it too thin still??

Cheer,
Fred.

golfvr6
10-05-2006, 10:03 AM
fred
make sure you change your oil filter at the same time

vee_dub
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Thx everyone for the help,

I sure will change my oil filter when I do change the engine oil.

Thank You,
Fred