PDA

View Full Version : Voice Control and Speech - Issues and Questions

angelus512
11-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok guys. I've returned to the forum after a while because I figure this question had been answered/solved by now. It was my recollection that it was the consensus of Australian Golf owners that the speaking/voice command symbol on the steering wheel beneath the call button was DISABLED for use in Australia.

Whereas in Europe you could press it and if you had Siri on your phone issue your phone voice commands that way. I am wondering
A) Is my recollection accurate?
B) Have any of us found a way to enable this as I imagine it can't be that difficult for an IT boffin.

C) I pressed it myself yesterday randomly and all it did was mute my speakers but thats it.

Eaglehawk
11-09-2013, 11:22 AM
A) Yes.
B) No.
C) Yes.

Ryan_R
13-09-2013, 08:38 AM
It could be enabled/disabled on the Mk6 using VCDS - maybe ask RossTech if they've sussed it out for the Mk7.

b c
20-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Heard from Customer Care that Voice Activation is now available as an "Accessory" at the dealership, although just a software change/patch/upgrade. No idea how much they want. Will be takling to my dealer in the new year as it was advertised as a feature on my highline.

DV52
20-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Ok guys. I've returned to the forum after a while because I figure this question had been answered/solved by now. It was my recollection that it was the consensus of Australian Golf owners that the speaking/voice command symbol on the steering wheel beneath the call button was DISABLED for use in Australia.

Whereas in Europe you could press it and if you had Siri on your phone issue your phone voice commands that way. I am wondering
A) Is my recollection accurate?
B) Have any of us found a way to enable this as I imagine it can't be that difficult for an IT boffin.

C) I pressed it myself yesterday randomly and all it did was mute my speakers but thats it.

Angelus512: There are a few threads on this topic (which you should read). I assume that you bought a Golf Highline earlier in the year (as did I). I have had quite a few discussions with VW Aust. on this very matter (including other warranty issues). As I understand the facts, the April 2013 Brochure for the Golf advertised that the Highline series came standard with Voice Control (on page 36 - Specifications section). At the back of this brochure VW Aust. has their standard legal caveat which says that the specifications are subject to change. I believe that VW Aust. revised this brochure and that the May 2013 version has all reference to Voice Control deleted. This notwithstanding many of the earlier brochures were in circulation at dealerships when I bought my Golf in mid 2013 and I received no advise from the sales reps about the changed specification (I assume that this situation was the same for you)

Anyhow after many months of spirited discussion with the wise folk at VW Aust. (they call themselves "customer care representatives" albeit I think that this name might be a tad misleading) I was eventually informed that they would provide the fix at thier cost.

My car is at the dealership this morning to have the software patch fitted. Not sure if the fix will work - I'll know after I collect the car.
PS: I'm still in heated discussion with VV Aust about the other warranty matters (unintelligable Sat Nav voice prenunciation and abysmal FM reception) but I suspect that I will need to avail myself of Australia's consumer law instruments to solve these issues (alas). It's a real pity that such a good car has to be spoiled by VW Aust.'s deplorable after sales service.

blutopless2
20-12-2013, 10:11 AM
any reason they deleted the option if it was already available on the MK6?

Ryan_R
20-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Because people complained it didn't understand Aussie accents well enough

I find if I speak to it the way I expect its robotic voice would speak to me it works well enough to call people in my address book or enter an address for navigation. That may mean emphasising syllables or mispronouncing words/names.

guile
20-12-2013, 11:36 AM

I find if I speak to it the way I expect its robotic voice would speak to me it works well enough to call people in my address book or enter an address for navigation. That may mean emphasising syllables or mispronouncing words/names.

so if i'm understanding you correctly you are saying that voice commands such as, "g'day mate, gi me shazza's phone number you flammin' galah" won't work?

blutopless2
20-12-2013, 11:53 AM

ah that explains it... have always thought I spoke another language, this confirms it coz my RNS510 has no problem understanding me.

Ryan_R
20-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Exactly :)

Try "Call Stone, Sharon, on mobile........... Yes" next time guile ;)

jdbrown1953
20-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Just got the "skinny" on voice recognition in the golf 7 Highline models from a very helpful VW service manager. VWA have issued a kit - at $450 and recommended to dealers 2 hours to fit it. So all up it's going to be around $600 -$650 installed. Apparently it requires the removal of some interior trim. It would want to be bloody good at this price. Helpful service manager advised to wait and see as it was expensive and as yet there is no information out there on how well it may work!

DV52
21-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Just got the "skinny" on voice recognition in the golf 7 Highline models from a very helpful VW service manager. VWA have issued a kit - at $450 and recommended to dealers 2 hours to fit it. So all up it's going to be around $600 -$650 installed. Apparently it requires the removal of some interior trim. It would want to be bloody good at this price. Helpful service manager advised to wait and see as it was expensive and as yet there is no information out there on how well it may work!

jbdrown1953:I hear what your saying, but my dealer gave me an entirely different story! Not sure where the truth lies, but my dealer rang me last week to say that he had in his "hot little hand" (his words exactly) a CD that VW Australia provided for the Voice Control fix. His explanation was that what was required was some kind of "authorisation code" to enable the function.
To be fair, my circumstance might be a little different because my 103TSI Highline was meant to have voice control from the get-go (at least that's what the April 2013 VW brochure said). It may be that my Highline already has the necessary hardware installed. It might be that the fix for the Highline series is simply a bit of extra software. Whereas the $450 +fitting time option is for an upgrade (like putting voice control on the comfortline series).
Given Ryan_R's commentary on the ability of the VW system to recognise Aussie accents, I would be very wary at spending this kind of money and then finding out that it only works if you speak like Prince Charles, or his Mum!

jdbrown1953
21-12-2013, 05:22 PM
My Highline is a June 2013 build. It may be that at that time VWA had deleted voice control from their build in the factory. On a related topic I am also waiting for a fix to the appalling navigation system voice directions which are unintelligible making the system useless. This fix was also due about now.

pologti18t
21-12-2013, 08:24 PM
It seems that voice control is optional in the UK as well. UKP185 option.

AdamD
21-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Just got the "skinny" on voice recognition in the golf 7 Highline models from a very helpful VW service manager. VWA have issued a kit - at $450 and recommended to dealers 2 hours to fit it. So all up it's going to be around $600 -$650 installed. Apparently it requires the removal of some interior trim.

I'm not sure why any hardware would be required. Voice control needs a microphone obviously, but that will have been installed as part of the factory standard bluetooth, so I can't see what else would be needed... unless they have decided there's a need for a supplemental mic or it's an entirely separate system?

Ryan_R
21-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Sounds to me like they've got a new firmware CD and want to charge handsomely for it.

jdbrown1953
22-12-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure why any hardware would be required. Voice control needs a microphone obviously, but that will have been installed as part of the factory standard bluetooth, so I can't see what else would be needed... unless they have decided there's a need for a supplemental mic or it's an entirely separate system?

Yes agree I would have thought that from a factory build perspective all the gear would be there and it would just be a matter via VAG com of activating the feature. No need for CD's and the like. Unless VWA deleted this feature from the factory build. There so much conflicting information and speculation out there atm so the best is to wait and let the dust settle and let the facts emerge.

DV52
23-12-2013, 01:30 PM
My Highline is a June 2013 build. It may be that at that time VWA had deleted voice control from their build in the factory. On a related topic I am also waiting for a fix to the appalling navigation system voice directions which are unintelligible making the system useless. This fix was also due about now.

jdbrown: I hate to be a continuous harbinger of bad news but I suspect that you will be disapointed at VW Aust's response to the Sat Nav pronunciation problem. I have already received a letter about this issue from my "customer care advisor" (there's that misnomer again) from VW Aust. The letter (which was dated late November 2013) states that the matter has been referred to "our factory in Germany but there are no software updates". The letter goes on to say that "regardless of this, the Satelite Navagation unit has been determined to be performing as per the manuafacture's specification".
This is why I said in my previous post that I will need to rely on Australia's consumer law to progress this issue. Whilst I relish the prospect of testing (in law) VW Aust's assertion that the Sat Nav is operating as per its design, my understanding is that as a result of recent changes in conumer law, I must prosecute my case against the dealer (not against VW Aust). I guess this makes sense given that the contract of sale was between the dealer and me. But the dealer has been my staunchest ally in trying to fix this problem, whereas VW Aust. have been constantly agressive in their denial to this warranty claim.

Anyhow, I hope that you get a different response (than I did ) about the Sat Nav pronunciation issue. If you do, please let the rest of us know the outcome (because I assume that like me, you are also a member of the proletariate - and we all need to stick together comrade!)

AJD
23-12-2013, 03:35 PM
jdbrown: I hate to be a continuous harbinger of bad news but I suspect that you will be disapointed at VW Aust's response to the Sat Nav pronunciation problem. I have already received a letter about this issue from my "customer care advisor" (there's that misnomer again) from VW Aust. The letter (which was dated late November 2013) states that the matter has been referred to "our factory in Germany but there are no software updates". The letter goes on to say that "regardless of this, the Satelite Navagation unit has been determined to be performing as per the manuafacture's specification".
This is why I said in my previous post that I will need to rely on Australia's consumer law to progress this issue. Whilst I relish the prospect of testing (in law) VW Aust's assertion that the Sat Nav is operating as per its design, my understanding is that as a result of recent changes in conumer law, I must prosecute my case against the dealer (not against VW Aust). I guess this makes sense given that the contract of sale was between the dealer and me. But the dealer has been my staunchest ally in trying to fix this problem, whereas VW Aust. have been constantly agressive in their denial to this warranty claim.

Anyhow, I hope that you get a different response (than I did ) about the Sat Nav pronunciation issue. If you do, please let the rest of us know the outcome (because I assume that like me, you are also a member of the proletariate - and we all need to stick together comrade!)

You can take the matter to VCAT and nominate anyone you like as the defendant. Volkswagen are the manufacturer and supplier of the product, the Dealer is merely acting as their agent.

AJD
23-12-2013, 03:58 PM
The latest direct from VWA today…
"Thank you for your email.

An accessory is available to enable the voice command within the Golf 7 variants, please liaise with the parts department within a Volkswagen dealership who will be able to assist you further.

To locate your nearest Volkswagen dealership please use the link below,
</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" /><meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en" /><meta name="keywords" content="Volkswagen Australia" /><meta name="description" content="YouVW" /><meta name="VW.urltitle1" (http://volkswagenaustralia.com.au/findadealer)

Should you require further information or assistance please contact our Customer Care team on 1800 607 822.

Wishing you a happy holiday season.

Kind Regards,

Fidel Jalotjot
Customer Care Frontline Advisor
VOLKSWAGEN Group Australia

Regents Park Business Centre
PO Box 414
Regents Park NSW 2143

Phone: 1800 607 822"

DV52
23-12-2013, 06:22 PM
The latest direct from VWA today…
"Thank you for your email.

An accessory is available to enable the voice command within the Golf 7 variants, please liaise with the parts department within a Volkswagen dealership who will be able to assist you further.

Phone: 1800 607 822"

AJD: Thanks for the sugestion about VCAT (your previous post to the one above). Sounds more straight-forward than Consumer Law and I can savour the delightful task of talking directly to VWA about their claim that Sat NAv is operating as designed.

Apropos of your email from VWA (above), I just got the fix for Voice Control fitted to my car by my dealer. It only involved a software patch (authorization code - I think). Voice Control works OK now. It will control almost all the functions on the infortainment unit. Ryan_R was correct about the need to speak carefully, but it isn't too difficult if you speak slowly.

Ryan_R
23-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Is it just me who finds it slightly amusing that this thread relates both to A) complaints that a feature isn't working as well as people expect, & B) an expected feature is missing because VWA believed it wouldn't work well enough for us. At least you guys are getting sat nav included with the car - it was a $3000 option in the Mk6, plus you needed to spend $500 for the Bluetooth option. :)

veew
23-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I just got the fix for Voice Control fitted to my car by my dealer. It only involved a software patch (authorization code - I think). Voice Control works OK now. It will control almost all the functions on the infortainment unit. Ryan_R was correct about the need to speak carefully, but it isn't too difficult if you speak slowly.

Glad to hear! So is the voice recognition based on your iPhone/Siri or done by the car?

emufriedchicken
24-12-2013, 06:40 AM
and what does this cost ..for the dealer to put the software patch on the car? Just wondering if I should get them to do it while its getting it PD before they deliver it

dhoodle
24-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Just wondering if it is worth the extra cost? I am getting mine in 2 weeks, and wondering if I should ring and asked this to be added as well.

DV52
24-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Is it just me who finds it slightly amusing that this thread relates both to A) complaints that a feature isn't working as well as people expect, & B) an expected feature is missing because VWA believed it wouldn't work well enough for us. At least you guys are getting sat nav included with the car - it was a $3000 option in the Mk6, plus you needed to spend $500 for the Bluetooth option. :)

Ryan_R: Isn't life always about finding amusement where ever one can? On a more serious note, I suspect the central tenor of the replies on this thread is more about the nature of the initating post (which was a comment on the lack of response on voice control button on the Golf steering wheel). For me, the kind of debate demonstrated in the various replies here is a healthy sign that consumers are prepared to hold manufacturers to account for what they say in their advertising material. I'd like to share your confidence that VWA has such a keen regard for the interests of their customers, but alas I'm far too synical about the motives of such large corporations (I agree that my views about car manufacturers needs to improve).

As for paying $3K for VW's Sat Nav- All I can say is that I hope that the product on the mk6 works a whole lot better than its equivalent on the Mk7. For just over $100, I could have bought a low-end Tomtom that at least would have shown me where the traffic lights were (the mk7 Sat Nav doesn't even do this). There are no speed camera zones on the mk7 Sat Nav and the speed limits that it shows are often wrong. Then there is the issue of the mk 7's voice pronunciation. Averall, the Mk7 Sat Nav is just a very sub-standard product that should have had a lot of work done on it by VW before its release.

DV52
24-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Glad to hear! So is the voice recognition based on your iPhone/Siri or done by the car?

VeeW: I don't think that the voice control fix that I got installed on my Golf is related to any Apple product. I've only had a short play with the function since I got the car back from the dealer but it seems to use its own software. I don't have an IPhone to check how this type of phone integrates with VW's Voice Control (if at all)

Ryan_R
24-12-2013, 01:52 PM
That map data is provided by Sensis (Telstra), and the most up to date versions are at least a year old at best. Mapping Australia is a relatively large task compared to other countries and the uptake is relatively low compared to European countries. If I get my way my next car will have a Google Maps navigation system integrated into the car. Audi Connect offers this, and even some Korean cars are planning Android based infotainment systems.

For the record a lot of us Mk6 owners on the forum purchased various optional systems and retrofitted them ourselves for considerable savings. I've personally retrofitted RNS510, bluetooth, MDI, reversing camera, sports steering wheel (GTI style with DSG paddles) and pedals, etc (a friend helped with some of those).

DV52
24-12-2013, 01:59 PM
and what does this cost ..for the dealer to put the software patch on the car? Just wondering if I should get them to do it while its getting it PD before they deliver it

emufriedchicken: (great handle!!). My position with VW Aust. was that I expected voice control to come standard with my Golf Highline because that's what thier advertising material said when I purchased the vehicle. In my defence, I was able to prove my case because I fortunately kept a copy of the VW brochure that I was given by the dealer. So the dealer installed the Voice Control fix as a warranty claim (I paid no additional money above that of the original cost of the vehicle).

Not sure that someone who has just purchased a Golf can mount the same arguement because the current brochures (as I understand) no longer claim that the highline series have voice control. Not sure what it would cost to buy voice control as an option. I guess that every new Golf buyer needs to decide if the value of this option is commensurate with the cost.

DV52
24-12-2013, 02:10 PM
That map data is provided by Sensis (Telstra), and the most up to date versions are at least a year old at best. Mapping Australia is a relatively large task compared to other countries and the uptake is relatively low compared to European countries. If I get my way my next car will have a Google Maps navigation system integrated into the car. Audi Connect offers this, and even some Korean cars are planning Android based infotainment systems.

For the record a lot of us Mk6 owners on the forum purchased various optional systems and retrofitted them ourselves for considerable savings. I've personally retrofitted RNS510, bluetooth, MDI, reversing camera, sports steering wheel (GTI style with DSG paddles) and pedals, etc (a friend helped with some of those).

Ryan_R: I was already aware of your considerable prowess with VCDS. It would appear that your skills go much further than Mr Ross's diagnostic tools. One of the reasons why troglodytes like me come these forum is to talk to people like you!

readerr0r
24-12-2013, 03:29 PM

The discover pro (ie. the 8inch screen the Golf 7 doesn't get) does have the ability to use google traffic and street view. It doesn't look like its been activated here on the Skodas with it, but with Audi talking about Audi Connect comming to Aus early 2014 cars maybe there'll be a software update then (and finally the option for the 8inch screen on VW's)?

Mobile online services for the Golf (http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start/car-models/golf_7.html?preopenTab=none)

veew
24-12-2013, 05:32 PM
My position with VW Aust. was that I expected voice control to come standard with my Golf Highline because that's what thier advertising material said when I purchased the vehicle. In my defence, I was able to prove my case because I fortunately kept a copy of the VW brochure that I was given by the dealer. So the dealer installed the Voice Control fix as a warranty claim (I paid no additional money above that of the original cost of the vehicle).

Do you still have the brochure advertising the VCM as a feature. I'd like a snapshot of it just for my own records.

VeeW: I don't think that the voice control fix that I got installed on my Golf is related to any Apple product. I've only had a short play with the function since I got the car back from the dealer but it seems to use its own software. I don't have an IPhone to check how this type of phone integrates with VW's Voice Control (if at all)

It doesn't sound like it is since you don't have an iPhone to check it out. I thought activation of the VCM was to enable it to activate Siri on pressing the button which would allow you to control music selection from there.

I'd be interested to hear your review of the system the more you use it, would like to know if it is worth having/paying ~$400 as reported on some threads.

DV52
24-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Do you still have the brochure advertising the VCDS as a feature. I'd like a snapshot of it just for my own records.

veew: A guy who calls himself (or herself) pologti18t has already included a copy of the brochure that you requested on this forum. I have never embedded a VWWatercooled link into one of my replies before, so hopefully my virgin attempt below will work. The particular post that you want is on the tenth page of the thread (assuming that you have set-up your profile to see the earlieast post on the first page ). If the link sends you to the wrong page then the date of the pologti18t post is 23-04-2013, 05:21 PM. My appology for the complication - there's probably an easier way to do this.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-australian-specifications-prices-base-comfortline-highline-84598-10.html

You need to go to page 36 and read the section called "Discover Media audio and satelite navigation system". There is a clear reference to the voice control function as a standard feature on the highline series in this section. Please be aware that this version of the brochure was printed in April 2013. I have seen a later version of the same brochure that has the voice control words deleted.

veew
26-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Awesome, thanks for that!

vdubberd
28-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Interested to know if anyone else has had success with getting the voice control activated under Warrenty? Or if they had to pay, at what cost?

I recieve my new golf in the coming weeks and am curious as to whether I should push for this to be activated with the dealer

DV52
28-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Do you still have the brochure advertising the VCDS as a feature. I'd like a snapshot of it just for my own records.

I'd be interested to hear your review of the system the more you use it, would like to know if it is worth having/paying ~$400 as reported on some threads.

I've now had a decent play with the voice control utility on my Golf mk7 and my observation is that it's a functionally rich application.
Since the fix got installed, I now have a new Voice Control option on the car's set-up screen as shown below7013

At the highest software level, voice control appears to be able to fully mimic any of the function keys that are on either side of the display unit. The picture below shows the possible commands that enable the user to access the function keys by voice. Note the red-microphone symbol at the top LHS

Once the user selects Radio for example, saying the word "Station"provides the next screen. Speaking the number shown in red (on the LHS) selects the station

If the user selects Sat Nav, the following sub options are available

If the user says "new destination" for example, the next screen that appears is the normal table that invites you to manually enter the address of the new destination. Voice control does not allow the user to enter the new destination by saying the address. You have to manually enter the address by typing in the information.

Now for the hard bit; what is this new functionality worth? My long held (personal) view is that money has a negative value proposition; the more that you have, the less that you value it! The reported cost of $400 for voice control may seem a trivial amount to some, or it may be viewed as a king'sransom by others. So I'm going to take the coward's way out in answering this question - you decide!

Ryan_R
28-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Worth noting that the functionality is pretty much exactly the same as what I've got in my Mk6 (RNS510)

veew
28-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Cheers DV52 for the pictures and observations. Certainly it seems like an easy enough system to use. I'll find out in 4 months if I'll have the system installed without charge prior to delivery of my car.

angelus512
08-01-2014, 01:29 PM
4 pages in and we haven't established whether this system can be software installed on Comfortline or whether it actually requires hardware upgrades?

jdbrown1953
08-01-2014, 04:17 PM
4 pages in and we haven't established whether this system can be software installed on Comfortline or whether it actually requires hardware upgrades?

Yes what needs to be established is for what model what has to be done to activate this feature. For example does the Comfortline range need hardware and software installed and how long would this take? Does the Highline range need only a software upgrade? Answers to these questions will help forum members in their decision making. Over to the forum

DV52
08-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes what needs to be established is for what model what has to be done to activate this feature. For example does the Comfortline range need hardware and software installed and how long would this take? Does the Highline range need only a software upgrade? Answers to these questions will help forum members in their decision making. Over to the forum

jdbrown1953: Galvanised into action by your valkyrie like call-to-arms, I thought that I might have a look at the VAG COM coding status on my Golf (now that the voice control function has been activated on my car). But, even before I got-out my trusty VCDS cable, it struck me that such an exercise would be futile. As those of us that have invested in Mr Ross's equipment to use on our MkVII Golfs will attest, the capability of VCDS software version 12.12.0 is severly limited when used on the "AU" chassis.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm a rank novice when comes to matters VCDS related, but the autoscan file from my car (using the latest version VCDS software) says that 5 of the 14 controllers in my Highline Golf do not have labels. Crutially, the missing controller support labels relate to the areas when I would have thought that a fruitful search might bring some results (i.e, address 17 instruments, address 5F-information electronics). To add insult to injury, many of the pages that are available for the AU chassis are written in German. Mr Ross is aware of this problem and he has indicated that he will correct the matter "in the fullness of time".

I've read on one site that Audi's voice related function can be accessed on "Elecronics1" tab and then the "77-Telephone" module. I tried this on my my Golf only to be presented with an error message saying that this module was not supported.
If one of the more VCDS knowledgeable folk on this forum can suggest where I might look, I'd be happy to have a peek at the coding. Over to you!

veew
09-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Angelus512: Have you chased your dealer up with regards to this feature yet?

Yesterday I called a few dealers and the service/parts centre in Adelaide who were all unaware of a fix being available for the Golf 7. I just got off the phone with VW Customer Care (cheers AJD for copying the email in Post #20) who informed me the VCM is now available as an accessory. The Voice Control Module is a SOFTWARE update therefore the Comfortline does not require any hardware installation.

The customer care consultant informed me that all dealers and service/parts centres were made aware in communications that were sent out. He was unable to quote a cost and I assume it is up to how much the dealership/service centre wants to rape you to install a program via SD card or CD.

I'm hoping mine is nice enough to install it free of charge when I have it delivered in 4 months time.

Ryan_R
09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Best just to wait for those label files and let someone else be the pioneer who potentially stuffs something up ;)

If you see someone else (i.e. from Germany) say something like 'go to module 77, byte 5, and enable bit 2' then you could give that a shot without having the label files if you trust them.

angelus512
10-01-2014, 10:04 AM
@Veew
Seems you have the answer its a software update for the comfortline which is great. I think I'll hang back a bit and see people's first hand experiences with how "useful" the system is and $cost associated before bothering to much.

However I'm curious does this bluetooth system "impose" its spoken commands on any phone? Like as example my phone is an iphone 4 (not 4s) so no Siri. I refuse to upgrade my phone until they make a larger screen....

AJD
10-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Interested to know if anyone else has had success with getting the voice control activated under Warrenty? Or if they had to pay, at what cost?

I recieve my new golf in the coming weeks and am curious as to whether I should push for this to be activated with the dealer

I was just quoted $416 to install the software by a local dealer - in my mind, not worth the cost, the effort or to give VW the satisfaction of charging me for their screw up.

veew
10-01-2014, 11:04 AM
@Veew
However I'm curious does this bluetooth system "impose" its spoken commands on any phone? Like as example my phone is an iphone 4 (not 4s) so no Siri. I refuse to upgrade my phone until they make a larger screen....

The system is independent of Siri, the bluetooth is for calling contacts.

Wrinkles66
10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
I took delivery of my 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline in mid 2013. Like others, I was disappointed that, although I had the voice control button, it only performed a 'mute' function for my radio or music. Have just raised the issue with my dealer as to whether there was now a firmware/software update to give me full 'voice' functionality and received the response below:

There is now a dealer fit option as below

Option 1 is $212.80 ex gst

Option 2 is $380.75 ex gst this one is for satnav vehicles

Let me know if interested

I am going to follow this up next week.

pologti18t
10-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Voice control is even optional in Germany on Golf... 205 euro.

spikeyboy22
16-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Just got bak from picking my My13 Golf Highline from the dealer after a overnight stay to complete a 15,000 service a complete a couple of updates I requested.

When the service #itch and I will call her that, She should not be in customer service, goes to read the service report to me, she first notes that they have checked the mute button and it is ok.

I say that is not what I requested I wanted you to install the fix to make the button a voice control button as described in the brochure.

I will check on that when I get your car, I also requested the Sat Sav system be updated to be able to use traffic.

Yeps that is done.

Well She comes back with my car. I checked with head tech we don't know anything about a fix, well I have read about it online and the information has been given out by VW customer care, where did you read it, on a VW forum online,

Was it on the VW website, No, well we can't do it, why? if it is aftermarket we can't do it.

It is not after market it is a fix put out by VW Australia to make the voice control work, well if it is not website we can't do it as it is after market, it is not after market, I just shook my head.

I said I would call VW customer care and get the details for her, she goes "ah ok"

She was so rude and had so much attitude and should not have been in any customer service roll. Like a like of dealer service staff.

I could have ripped her head off, she made me so mad. Any way just wanted to get out to car, drive off and guess what no traffic, what the hell, a overnight stay just for a 15,000km service.

So I can go back, and show her the error of her ways, Can anybody provide any details like codes, service bulletins, what every you have got on:

1. How to get traffic working on a MY13 Highline (MY14 is working for new VW owners)
2. Details on the update how the voice control button working.

I love my VW's but the service you get from dealerships, really you can see why people go to other high end brands.

I love car dealerships, I love to look even when taking my car in for a service, but when going into a VW dealer you know it is always going to be hard work.

Any help before I have to call the Dim wits in VW customer service would be great.

team_v
16-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I wasn't aware VW Nav had the traffic data, they certainly didn't in the RNS510.

Also i was not aware that there was an update to get voince control working.

Good luck with your search though.

Longy
16-01-2014, 07:12 PM
From other VW forums, it looks like voice command isn't available for the Aus market:

Voice Commands - Mk VII 103TSI - Page 2 (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?16218-Voice-Commands-Mk-VII-103TSI/page2)

spikeyboy22
16-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I wasn't aware VW Nav had the traffic data, they certainly didn't in the RNS510.

Also i was not aware that there was an update to get voince control working.

Good luck with your search though.

Hi team_v,

A couple of links for you to bring you up to date:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/official-i-have-ordered-received-my-new-mk7-golf-thread-84834-43.html

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-command-button-steering-wheel-89895-5.html

vdubberd
16-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems spikerboy.. would love to know which dealer you experienced this at as I am to from melbourne and would love to avoid it!

In regard to the voice control, when I spoke to my dealer about the update he said their particular dealership are a month away from having the golf update!

spikeyboy22
16-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Does anybody have any details about about the software update, a name or code,

I went to the dealer today and they had no idea

spikeyboy22
16-01-2014, 07:45 PM
From other VW forums, it looks like voice command isn't available for the Aus market:

Voice Commands - Mk VII 103TSI - Page 2 (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?16218-Voice-Commands-Mk-VII-103TSI/page2)

We'll some people are getting quoted from dealers for a software update to fix, check out the thread

veew
16-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Its just called the Voice Control Module accessory. I don't know why dealers still haven't heard of this as I was informed (when calling VW Customer Care) all dealers and service departments were sent out information from VAG regarding the VCM accessory becoming available.

spikeyboy22
16-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Its just called the Voice Control Module accessory. I don't know why dealers still haven't heard of this as I was informed (when calling VW Customer Care) all dealers and service departments were sent out information from VAG regarding the VCM accessory becoming available.

Thanks for the info veew that is a great information

spikeyboy22
20-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info veew that is a great information

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update you on this, I have been speaking to Volkswagen Customer care and they tell m there are different fixes depending if you have sat nav or not.

For a Sat Nav model the part code you need is 5G0054802A.

jdbrown1953
20-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update you on this, I have been speaking to Volkswagen Customer care and they tell m there are different fixes depending if you have sat nav or not.

For a Sat Nav model the part code you need is 5G0054802A.

Were you able to find out whether the "accessory" was just a software upgrade only or did it include the installation of hardware as well necessitating the removal of some of the interior trim?

veew
20-01-2014, 10:13 PM
When I spoke to customer care, they said it was purely a software update.

The difference in cost is because it is "sat nav". It makes no difference to them with regards to installation. Insert installation medium, follow steps as per instructions, charge excessive amounts of money.

cathaldinneen
23-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Just got off the phone from VWA Customer care as they had not returned my email I had sent to them last week or even indicated that they had received an email from me.

The agent I was talking to stated that the Voice Control was not standard on Australian MK7's. When I disclosed that the April 2013 sales catalog stated that it was Standard, the agent simply put this down as a 'misprint'. I also stated that it was Standard on MY14 Golf's and she that may be the case but the MY13 MK7 it was not standard coming from the factory.

I then asked about upgrading the software on the Discover Media unit on my Highline and she stated that it was an "accessory" option that could be done at your local dealer. She said it was up to your local dealer if they were willing to charge for it or not. As I did not purchase from a local dealer, I don't thinks it's likely they'll do it free of charge.

My 15k service will becoming up shortly so I might ask my local dealer kindly if he could apply this update kindly. Has anyone in the Brisbane area had an accommodating dealers apply this fix / "accessory" ?

night_flight
24-01-2014, 04:21 AM
Ryan_R: I was already aware of your considerable prowess with VCDS. It would appear that your skills go much further than Mr Ross's diagnostic tools. One of the reasons why troglodytes like me come these forum is to talk to people like you!
Ryan_R is the king! I also with his help have activated and installed bluetooth & sat nav with voice control ...voice control is frustrating but can work sometimes well...for people who ask this is no siri but VW's voice control system...funny enough when pressing siri on iPhone the microphone or the quality of the feed in voice is so bad that siri has no idea what I want yet speakerphone siri works fine this is perhaps in relation to apple having more than 1 mic blocking out the background noise...in any case people voice control is ok but not worth paying extra...

Wrinkles66
24-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Went to dealer yesterday to have the voice software installed and after a 2 hour wait for what was to be a 30 minute job, was told that they had a problem with the software authentication. Problem referred to VW Australia and not certain yet when it will be resolved. For those hoping to get this work completed as a warranty fix, you may be interested to know that the VW paperwork classifies the software upgrade as a 'repair'.

jdbrown1953
24-01-2014, 04:55 PM
My 15k service will becoming up shortly so I might ask my local dealer kindly if he could apply this update kindly. Has anyone in the Brisbane area had an accommodating dealers apply this fix / "accessory" ?

I've tried two dealers in Brisbane and they both want $409 - $429 respectively for the "accessory". The difference in installation prices and knowledge of what has to be done is woeful. One dealer tried to claim that I would need to have trim removed and said that it would take over two hours, the other dealer quoted $60.

If I was paranoid I would think that this is a dealer conspiracy to charge as much as they can and hold as much information back so that VW owners are in the dark as to what effort is really required. The other option is that despite the VW logo and purported training the dealerships really don't know much about the car, god help us if there was a real problem.

Ryan_R
24-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Well if anyone does get it done, do a before & after VCDS scan and hide a long-life video camera somewhere and we should be able to figure it out :)

scobb
26-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Ryan_R is the king! I also with his help have activated and installed bluetooth & sat nav with voice control ...voice control is frustrating but can work sometimes well...for people who ask this is no siri but VW's voice control system...funny enough when pressing siri on iPhone the microphone or the quality of the feed in voice is so bad that siri has no idea what I want yet speakerphone siri works fine this is perhaps in relation to apple having more than 1 mic blocking out the background noise...in any case people voice control is ok but not worth paying extra...

I just checked my Oct 2013 MY14 Highline and voice activation is not enabled :-(. Just the standard mute/un-mute when pressed.

So, the quote above suggests that Ryan_R has sussed out how to enable this without a visit to the dealer. Can anyone share the process? I have a genuine VCDS cable and am happy to guinea pig this if someone can give me some pointers.

Ryan_R
26-01-2014, 01:55 PM
erm, I know how to do it on the Mk6 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/official-vww-vcds-tweak-library-50749.html#post572596). I don't own a Mk7 :)

scobb
26-01-2014, 02:14 PM
erm, I know how to do it on the Mk6 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/official-vww-vcds-tweak-library-50749.html#post572596). I don't own a Mk7 :)

Aah...yes. good point ;-).

Looks like I'll be making a visit to my dealers in Christchurch tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'll be interested to see if VW NZ are even aware of this upgrade.

kennyc
26-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I asked that dealer yesterday when I drove one and he said voice activation was not a feature, then I mentioned that vw have a software CD to "upgrade" it. He then mentioned he heard of that but they don't have the CD yet. Lol

DV52
26-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Well if anyone does get it done, do a before & after VCDS scan and hide a long-life video camera somewhere and we should be able to figure it out :)

Ryan_R: I reckon your suggestion for a long life video camera hidden surreptitiously in the vehicle somewhere is a great idea. However, the problem with the before/after VCDS scan is that Mr Ross's current software (ver 12.12.0) has some fundamental problems when it comes to scanning the "AU" chasis on which the MkVII is built. The big problem is that the controllers for the infortainment system and much of the electronics are currently not supported (and much of the other stuff is in German).
As you know, I've already had the voice control fix installed in my MkVII. and I've tried an "after" scan, without much success. I guess we will just have to wait for the next SW upgrade and hope that Mr Ross has turned his atention to better supporting the MkVII.

Ryan_R
26-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Did any of the long coding numbers change when you compared before and after? Having the correct labels isn't super important here (this is how you start to work out the labels). Feel free to send both scans to me via PM.

night_flight
27-01-2014, 12:27 AM
I just checked my Oct 2013 MY14 Highline and voice activation is not enabled :-(. Just the standard mute/un-mute when pressed.

So, the quote above suggests that Ryan_R has sussed out how to enable this without a visit to the dealer. Can anyone share the process? I have a genuine VCDS cable and am happy to guinea pig this if someone can give me some pointers.

well I had bought "RNS510 with voice control" that is hardware related feature....some rn510 don't support this at all even if you do the coding is my guess...I know you guys have now different head units, however with the first batch of mk7s I m sure that the units would be all the same hence IT MUST be the software tweak! sometimes I am pissed VW is so slack to simple things like this...

spikeyboy22
27-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Ryan_R: I reckon your suggestion for a long life video camera hidden surreptitiously in the vehicle somewhere is a great idea. However, the problem with the before/after VCDS scan is that Mr Ross's current software (ver 12.12.0) has some fundamental problems when it comes to scanning the "AU" chasis on which the MkVII is built. The big problem is that the controllers for the infortainment system and much of the electronics are currently not supported (and much of the other stuff is in German).
As you know, I've already had the voice control fix installed in my MkVII. and I've tried an "after" scan, without much success. I guess we will just have to wait for the next SW upgrade and hope that Mr Ross has turned his atention to better supporting the MkVII.

Any chance you could provide the before and after scans to Ryan R and see if he can see something

Ryan_R
28-01-2014, 06:13 AM
We did see something

If you jump into address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) with VCDS, and check to see if your code matches this:
02730008FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010245 (there may be differences between Trendline/Comfortline/Highline Golf's due to equipment differences)

Then try changing it to match this:
02730008FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010247

Once you save the coding turn the car off then on again before checking. If the voice control now works... great (let us know). If not, just change the coding back to how it was and clear any fault codes that might have resulted. No harm done :)

Feel free to take VCDS screenshots as you go so you can start a thread ;)

DV52
28-01-2014, 02:03 PM
We did see something

If you jump into address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) with VCDS, and check to see if your code matches this:
02730008FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010245 (there may be differences between Trendline/Comfortline/Highline Golf's due to equipment differences)

Then try changing it to match this:
02730008FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010247

Once you save the coding turn the car off then on again before checking. If the voice control now works... great (let us know). If not, just change the coding back to how it was and clear any fault codes that might have resulted. No harm done :)

Feel free to take VCDS screenshots as you go so you can start a thread ;)

Ryan_R I tried to PM but I couldn't get through (message from admin said that your email box was full).

Appropos of the coding values in your post (above) first, let me start by apologizing for telling you what you probably already know but my (very amateur) take on what I have seen of the VCDS screens strongly suggests that the software uses standard digital nomenclature.

At the bit level (i.e. as shown on the long coding screen - line 4), Mr Ross's software appears to allocate each of the eight bits in a simple binary fashion. By this I mean that the long coding screen appears to take each of the eight bits (in line 4) and to produce a bog-standard binary number.

At a byte level (i.e. as shown on the long coding screen - line 3), each of the bytes appear to be a standard hexadecimal pair.

This means (I think) that the process for translating "45" & "47" into the bit allocations is just a matter of doing a hexadecimal-to-binary conversion. In my youth (many years ago) I used to do these conversion by hand, but I find it much easier these days to use the converters on the web

Converting hexadecimal "47" to binary gives 01000111
Converting hexadecimal "45" to binary gives 01000101

So, if your hypothesis about "45" and "47" is correct, the key to Voice Control activation for the MkVII is to put a tick in the bit 1 box for byte 24. As a check for this logic, someone who hasn't had the Voice control fix should see binary 01000101 on the right-hand box on line 3 (of the long coding screen).

Again, my apology if you already know this stuff.

Ryan_R
28-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Yes, I remembered the principle, just couldn't remember what number system it used ;)

*waiting for someone to try and activate Voice Control and respond*

scobb
28-01-2014, 05:54 PM
I've given this a go. First, I should say that I have a MY14 NZ-spec 103kW Highline, so this may require a different coding change to the Australian spec cars. The long coding is a little different to yours:

02730008FF00000021510001000900001F0100160100010045

I tried recoding by ticking the bit 1 box for byte 24, which indeed changes the last 2 digits of the long code from 45 to 47. As expected, this changes the binary value from 01000101 to 01000111. The coding change is accepted, but sadly, it makes no difference to voice control, which remains deactivated :-(.

What I did notice changed was that RDS and TP were turned off when the coding change was applied.

As this tweak didn't work, I reset my coding back to the original default value.

So, no joy, I'm afraid.

DV52
28-01-2014, 09:22 PM
I've given this a go. First, I should say that I have a MY14 NZ-spec 103kW Highline, so this may require a different coding change to the Australian spec cars. The long coding is a little different to yours:

02730008FF00000021510001000900001F0100160100010045

I tried recoding by ticking the bit 1 box for byte 24, which indeed changes the last 2 digits of the long code from 45 to 47. As expected, this changes the binary value from 01000101 to 01000111. The coding change is accepted, but sadly, it makes no difference to voice control, which remains deactivated :-(.

What I did notice changed was that RDS and TP were turned off when the coding change was applied.

As this tweak didn't work, I reset my coding back to the original default value.

So, no joy, I'm afraid.

scobb: What a shame (that it didn't work). Ryan_R's logic was so compelling that I would have have bet that it was a certainty. Perhaps there are fundamental differences between Golf vehicles here and across "the ditch". The other possibility is coding variations between my13 & my14 models. It would be good if someone from Australia with a my13 model gave this a try
It's interesting that your coding has three bytes that are different (i.e. byte 23, byte 19, byte 8 ). I've become aware from another thread that one of the diferences between the two models (over here at least) is that TP appears to work on my14 cars, but doesn't work on my13 (at least not on my my13). I wonder if the TP answer is somewhere in the three different bytes? Something else for the resident VCDS boffins to think about I guess!!

Ryan_R
28-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Just tick everything and see what you enable :emo_baghead:

jdbrown1953
29-01-2014, 07:11 AM
The other thing to consider is the CD/SD card with the software fix may also contain the dictionary of commands which may not have been installed in the factory.

Alex31
05-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Well I ended up paying my dealership the $400+ for the voice command to work. It kinda works but you have to know how to say some words. It is a bit funny with the Australian twang. But I don't mind. Would recommend to people if you wanted to throw $400 at your car so all the buttons work :-p...

jdbrown1953
05-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Well I ended up paying my dealership the $400+ for the voice command to work. It kinda works but you have to know how to say some words. It is a bit funny with the Australian twang. But I don't mind. Would recommend to people if you wanted to throw $400 at your car so all the buttons work :-p...

Which dealer undertook the upgrade. I'm considering doing the same and would prefer to go to a dealer that has done this work before. Thanks

Alex31
05-02-2014, 09:33 PM
The dealer in Townsville... Might be a bit far away for a lot of people on this forum

Golf mk7 TDI Highline. 17inch blade wheels, Bi-Xenon, DA pack limestone grey

AdamD
06-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Which dealer undertook the upgrade. I'm considering doing the same and would prefer to go to a dealer that has done this work before. Thanks

Putting a CD/DVD in a drive and allowing it to update firmware is not rocket science; any dealer who is able to offer you the upgrade will be able to install it without difficulty.

flight
06-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Well I ended up paying my dealership the $400+ for the voice command to work.

I'm happy when I can swear at mine occasionally and it doesn't answer back. (I'm talking about the car, not my wife.)

DV52
06-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Putting a CD/DVD in a drive and allowing it to update firmware is not rocket science; any dealer who is able to offer you the upgrade will be able to install it without difficulty.

AdamD: I wonder whether it's possible to buy the SD card as an outright purchase (as a spare part) rather than to pay the money to a dealer to install the upgrade? For someone with a VCDS cable (or access to a VCDS cable) the extra task of setting bit 1 of bye byte 24 shouldn't be that difficult. The cost should also be cheaper - athough this is invariably not the case for VW parts.

I guess that VWA don't want copies of the upgrade software in the public domain, so buying the firmware upgrade might not be possible.

mr gee
06-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I retrofitted a RNS-510 onto a 2013 beetle. The voice command did not work

To cut a long story short, The two things I did to resolve it are

Using VCDS, disable voice command in 'Telephone' and enable same in the RNS

Install piggy back harness back of the RNS

Wiring Harness VW Bluetooth for RNS510 MFD3 with Voice Control | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271201940459?item=271201940459&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160&vxp=mtr)

AdamD
07-02-2014, 07:52 AM
I guess that VWA don't want copies of the upgrade software in the public domain, so buying the firmware upgrade might not be possible.

You're paying for what they are advertising as a feature and a service to install it; not software (although as a matter of fact it will just be software). I'd say you have next to no chance of being able to buy the update software on a physical medium, unless you have a good mate that works at a dealership, and even then...

spikeyboy22
07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
You're paying for what they are advertising as a feature and a service to install it; not software (although as a matter of fact it will just be software). I'd say you have next to no chance of being able to buy the update software on a physical medium, unless you have a good mate that works at a dealership, and even then...

Or you could just purchase it online like from here

Volkswagen Zubehör Shop - Sprachbedienung f.Navigation Discover Media Dialog Spracheingabe 5G0054802A (http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p5456_Sprachbedienung-f-Navigation-Discover-Media-Dialog-Spracheingabe.html&XTCsid=981be00f3c58486b15e65c00ad87f98eAm)

Google is your friend

egsolomon
07-02-2014, 04:50 PM

Volkswagen Zubehör Shop - Sprachbedienung f.Navigation Discover Media Dialog Spracheingabe 5G0054802A (http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer-shop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p5456_Sprachbedienung-f-Navigation-Discover-Media-Dialog-Spracheingabe.html&XTCsid=981be00f3c58486b15e65c00ad87f98eAm)

Google is your friend
Two questions

1. Will it be in English, and
2. Is it worth the $100 saved

pologti18t
07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Two questions

Is voice control worth anything?

spikeyboy22
07-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Two questions

Two answers

1. Who knows
2. We'll if you add up all my time trying to get dealers to in first know there is a update and second install it I have wated over $ 400 of my time so far

AdamD
08-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Google is your friend

Trouble is, unless that update covers all regions (including the Australian dialect), and is the current (latest) release, it'll certainly be money wasted. VWA made a big deal about VR no longer being a standard inclusion because new voice recognition firmware (with better localisation) was being developed, which has now been released - albeit for an extra charge.

I don't necessarily believe VWA's standard line on this, but I also wouldn't go buying the first thing I find in the Volkswagen Germany shop without doing further research.

Wrinkles66
10-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Late last week, after an earlier unsuccessful attempt, my local VW dealer finally managed to install the voice software on my 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline. To my very great disappointment (and cost) however, it still does not work. When I attempt to use it with the navigation system I received the following message:

Address input using voice is not supported for this country. Please continue operation on the screen”

There is also a problem using the voice module to make telephone calls as the voice command does not recognise names in my iPhone address book. Although I can use the voice system to enter a known telephone number, the system is also unable able to link that number to an identity in my telephone’s address book.

I am still waiting for a response from the dealer. For those contemplating this upgrade, my advice at this stage would be to keep your money in your pocket.

Ryan_R
10-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, it seems that the UK-based system in the Mk6 Golf is much better by comparison.

veew
10-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Good to know, cheers Wrinkles666

DV52
16-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Late last week, after an earlier unsuccessful attempt, my local VW dealer finally managed to install the voice software on my 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline. To my very great disappointment (and cost) however, it still does not work. When I attempt to use it with the navigation system I received the following message:

Address input using voice is not supported for this country. Please continue operation on the screen”

There is also a problem using the voice module to make telephone calls as the voice command does not recognise names in my iPhone address book. Although I can use the voice system to enter a known telephone number, the system is also unable able to link that number to an identity in my telephone’s address book.

I am still waiting fora response from the dealer. For those contemplating this upgrade, my advice at this stage would be to keep your money in your pocket.

Wrinkles66: The voice control fix worked fine for me albeit with the benefit of hindsight, the cost of the function was much higher than the benefit (and I didn't pay anything for the fix)!

But then, I live in Victoria. Perhaps things work differently on the east side of Oz?

Golf7Tdi
17-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Hello, Ive just contacted VW in regards to voice controls in AUS, apparently they are making an SD card with the voice controls and will mail them to us some time this year and all we have to do is plug it in and we can start using the voice controls. Anyone heard anything about this?

egsolomon
17-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Haven't heard anything, wonder why then that the dealers wouldn't just update when in for the next service?

veew
17-02-2014, 11:47 AM
apparently they are making an SD card with the voice controls and will mail them to us some time this year and all we have to do is plug it in and we can start using the voice controls

That is news to me. If you follow the thread below, it is a dealer update for $300-400 depending on if you have Sat Nav or not.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-command-button-steering-wheel-89895-10.html

LMF
17-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Hello, Ive just contacted VW in regards to voice controls in AUS, apparently they are making an SD card with the voice controls and will mail them to us some time this year and all we have to do is plug it in and we can start using the voice controls. Anyone heard anything about this?

Is it free of charge???

DV52
17-02-2014, 10:25 PM

Golf7TDI: Your news, whilst welcomed if true, is like me winning Tatslotto when I haven't bought a ticket! I hope that you are correct, but I fear that your news is greatly exaggerated.

I find it difficult to envisage a company like VWA (who is currently ripping off its customers to the tune of $300-$400 for the Voice Control fix) suddenly giving the CD card to its clients. It really doen't matter if VWA wants to charge customers for the CD card, or to give it away for free because once it's in the piublic domain, copies of the fix will go viral

If I were you, I would get back to the person at VWA who gave you this news and ask for written confirmation. If you get something in writing please share with the rest of us on this forum

Idle
18-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Have you tried to copy a VW card?

I think they're factory locked — not just your over-the-counter card.

DV52
18-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Have you tried to copy a VW card?

I think they're factory locked — not just your over-the-counter card.

Idle: No I have not tried to copy a VW card. Is there any infromation available about the encryption protocols that VW uses on their cards?

b c
09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Started down the consumer law approach to try and get some sort of resolution. Wrote a "complaint" to my dealer, and the LED plate lights will be installed (I have bi-xenons), but no joy on the Voice Control - seems VW Aus isn't moving. I think my dealer is doing what they can for me, but have to play by the rules VW Aus sets. Looks like I'll have to keep it moving through the system if I want any other outcome.

Idle
09-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Idle: No I have not tried to copy a VW card. Is there any infromation available about the encryption protocols that VW uses on their cards?

As per the note below,you can't use just any old CD card — it has to comply with VW's standard (which so far I've not found — not that I've looked all that hard...)

"Please note:

Because the navigation data are stored on the SD card meaning it has to stay in the vehicle, the card is subject to extreme environmental conditions. In order to ensure that the navigation system keeps functioning correctly, your Discover Media will only accept Volkswagen-approved SD cards. If your original card is lost or damaged, you can obtain a replacement from your local Volkswagen service partner."

The link below will give you all the information available on updating maps — but only for Europe.

We seem to be ignored.

Instruksjoner "Discover Media" < Oppdatering av kartverk < Radio & navigasjonsystem nedlastninger (http://www.volkswagen.no/no/innovasjon-og-miljo/downloads/brochure/map-updates/instructions-discover-media.html)

stedes
09-04-2014, 08:47 PM
As per the note below,you can't use just any old CD card — it has to comply with VW's standard (which so far I've not found — not that I've looked all that hard...)

"Please note:

Because the navigation data are stored on the SD card meaning it has to stay in the vehicle, the card is subject to extreme environmental conditions. In order to ensure that the navigation system keeps functioning correctly, your Discover Media will only accept Volkswagen-approved SD cards. If your original card is lost or damaged, you can obtain a replacement from your local Volkswagen service partner."

The link below will give you all the information available on updating maps — but only for Europe.

We seem to be ignored.

Instruksjoner "Discover Media" < Oppdatering av kartverk < Radio & navigasjonsystem nedlastninger (http://www.volkswagen.no/no/innovasjon-og-miljo/downloads/brochure/map-updates/instructions-discover-media.html)

I've followed this thread with great interest over the past few months and I thought I'd offer my 2c even though our car is still on the way...

It appears to be yet another, very amateur, mistake on VWA's part. When I ordered my car in March 2014 I was told by the salesman before signing on the dotted line that the Voice control feature is not standard and that was a mistake in the brochure. So I personally can't go down the complaint route. However...it's interesting that if one looks at the German accessories brochure, the voice control upgrade is listed as an actual accessory with different prices (and part numbers) for Composition and Discover Media (see pics). While that doesn't negate VWAs responsibility to people who already have their cars, it does point to the existence of an easy way to do the upgrade (via SD card).

SD Cards follow an industry standard and I would be very surprised if only some of them work with these units. I am not aware of VW releasing a "compatibility list" of SD cards that work with the Composition or Discover Media but from reports on this and other fora it seems most normal SD cards work fine for music. While there may be an encryption on the card itself anyone with a bit more than basic computer knowledge can make an exact image of the SD card containing the update for voice control and "burn" the image onto a new SD card. The only thing that we do not yet know is that whether these updates are VIN specific...i.e. tied to each specific car VIN for verification...it would seem to be a lot of work for VW to produce individual SD cards for each car for this update....or it may just be wishful thinking.

I hope the pics help if people need to part numbers for the upgrade. One point to note again is the presence of two different part numbers for each unit.

ameel
13-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Ive got a 90tsi comfortline.

Looks like vw Australia have new info, at least compared to couple months ago.

1) Voice control
Can be fitted on any model, but part depends on whether you have Satnav or not. It's called 'voice activation kit'.
For those without Satnav, it's part number 5G0054802.
For those with Satnav it's 5G0054802A.
Quick google shows this as a software update only???

2) Satnav for vehicles bought without factory-fitted satnav
VW Australia confirmed the rns510 can now be fitted to the golf7.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

DV52
13-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Ive got a 90tsi comfortline.

Looks like vw Australia have new info, at least compared to couple months ago.

1) Voice control
Can be fitted on any model, but part depends on whether you have Satnav or not. It's called 'voice activation kit'.
For those without Satnav, it's part number 5G0054802.
For those with Satnav it's 5G0054802A.
Quick google shows this as a software update only???

2) Satnav for vehicles bought without factory-fitted satnav
VW Australia confirmed the rns510 can now be fitted to the golf7.

ameel: Have you seen my post below. Appology if you have
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-command-button-steering-wheel-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369

ameel
13-05-2014, 12:53 PM
ameel: Have you seen my post below. Appology if you have
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-command-button-steering-wheel-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369

Yeah I did, but thought there was still discrepancy between dealerships and between dealerships and vw Australia, hence the correct part numbers for those who want to inquire.

Just couple months a dealership made inquiries itself and could not find out what I was talking about. The party number should help I thought.

Jimi
13-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Hmm when I picked mine up the girl assigned to show me around the car said the voice control worked but we didn't test it there and then. I think mine only mutes at this stage but perhaps there are menu options to spur it into life like with the traffic updates?

ameel
13-05-2014, 01:23 PM
After further inquiries re voice activation kit, it's an sdcard that contains software for just one car. So I guess when it's activated by the dealership the software is matched against vw database to ensure you're using a unique software rather than copy.

The dealership did make the point it would give me the sdcard and that it would be useless after setup. By the sounds of it the set up also requires vcds programming.

flashman1207
13-05-2014, 05:32 PM
I enquired with dealer wether my new car will have voice control activated and the answer was 'No but we can order from Europe. Will take 4 weeks and cost $477'

Typical Australia rip-off. Having to pay for something that it should already have....

wasabiz
13-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I enquired with dealer wether my new car will have voice control activated and the answer was 'No but we can order from Europe. Will take 4 weeks and cost $477'

Typical Australia rip-off. Having to pay for something that it should already have....

no... the SD card itself is already 199 euro if you want to order it, plus theres VCDS tweaking to be done. So I think they only mark up the price by not that much if you include labour.

flashman1207
13-05-2014, 06:28 PM
no... the SD card itself is already 199 euro if you want to order it, plus theres VCDS tweaking to be done. So I think they only mark up the price by not that much if you include labour.

I thought it could be done with VCDS anyway. Is this not the case? So, you need a special SD Card....

ameel
13-05-2014, 09:47 PM

My dealer said it costs $187 for the sdcard, about a week to get it from SYDNEY. They would charge labour on top, but because of all the stuffing-around I've suffered, they'll do @ no labour cost, i.e. just $187.

I thought it could be done with VCDS anyway. Is this not the case? So, you need a special SD Card....

I think the sdcard software is the same BUT there's probably a UNIQUE key/serial number attached to each sdcard that gets verified on VW database when installed. That's just my guess.

flashman1207
14-05-2014, 11:27 AM
My dealer said it costs $187 for the sdcard, about a week to get it from SYDNEY.

As per usual then, we get shafted in WA.....

ameel
16-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Just to be clear the part for the Satnav is about $380ish compared to the part for the composition media without Satnav at $180ish. So no one is getting shafted

flashman1207
16-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Just to be clear the part for the Satnav is about $380ish compared to the part for the composition media without Satnav at $180ish. So no one is getting shafted

Incorrect, If you have Satnav (which I have) then you get shafted !!!!

boardie_19
20-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

Volkswagen have finally released the optional voice operation of navigation functions for models fitted with the optional Discover Media audio and satellite navigation system for Comfortline models (fitted with this option) and for Highligh models which are fitted standard with these units.

Question: Has anyone as yet had this fitted to their vehicle at their local dealership? If so,

How much did it cost including labour?
How long did they take to install it?
What is the quality like? Is it worth the cost?

I am keen to have it fitted, but would like to know from the wider Golf community if anyone has had the actual upgrade fitted.

Thanks!

MY14 MK 7 | Highline 103 TSI | LGM | DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Sunroof | Driver Assistance Package | Alarm | Tints

irossiter
20-06-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm picking up my GTI Performance very soon. I've bought a car in their showroom. The "voice activation" is $400 and can apparently be added as a software upgrade. I'm thinking about it but if it like the Audi system in dad's new S3 I don't think it will be worth it. The voice is like something a robotic 80's Mac had. Also have to SPELL out a street and it couldn't even understand that! Haven't tried the phone yet. My current Merc A250 has a brilliant system. Understood me immediately and no spelling out names, songs titles or addresses. Her polite English accent voice is kinda nice as well! Will try and find out more before I pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boardie_19
20-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks Irossiter,

If you do end getting the unit installed, please let me know what it's like and more so, if its worth it.

It just seems like everything with VW is an after thought and they are known to be sloppy (as this was stated as standard in the brochure, along with LED registration plate lamps as part of the Bi-Xenon package... had to fight to sort that one out). There is a known issue with the pronouncing of street names with the navigation system. Germany have been advised with no fix in sight... so perhaps it may be worth getting it installed once the software upgrade becomes available.

Cheers,

DV52
20-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

Volkswagen have finally released the optional voice operation of navigation functions for models fitted with the optional Discover Media audio and satellite navigation system for Comfortline models (fitted with this option) and for Highligh models which are fitted standard with these units.

boardie_19: I'm confused! How is the voice control fix that you are referring-to different from the voice control fix that VW Aust released back in 2013 (about Sept/Nov - I think)? The 2013 fix was intended to activate the "Voice" button on the Discover media head. I got this fix installed on my car - at no cost. The fix on my car will allow the user to navigate through the SATNAV functions but it won't allow the input of addresses by voice. Is this what your fix does?

Incidentally, I've put-up some screen shots of how the voice control works on my mkVII - Regardless of whether your fix is different, I reckon that the broad functionality of voice control function will be the same as mine. The following links may be of interest to those who might be contemplating the additional expenditure.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369 - see post #36

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-post1064920.html#post1064920 - see post #165

boardie_19
20-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi DV52,

Maybe i have it all wrong but when i picked the car up last month, the dealership i purchased the vehicle from in Sydney advised that Voice Control was not currently available (as i asked what the button was for on the steering wheel) but said they would contact me when it became available. I got the call this week from the guy that sold me the car... hence my post. I actually had no idea it had been available all along.

DV52
20-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi DV52,

Maybe i have it all wrong but when i picked the car up last month, the dealership i purchased the vehicle from in Sydney advised that Voice Control was not currently available (as i asked what the button was for on the steering wheel) but said they would contact me when it became available. I got the call this week from the guy that sold me the car... hence my post. I actually had no idea it had been available all along.

boardie_19: OK, no problems. There's a very long thread about the early days of the voice control fix in my link- it's worth a read if you have a glass or two, or three of whiskey at hand (single malt-of course)!

I just thought (perhaps, hoped) that VW Aust had finally got their SH#T together and had made available a fully integrated voice control function for the Discover media unit (like they do in USA) - where the driver can input the street address into the SATNAV by speaking the words. But alas I fear this is yet another example of the glacial speed with which VW Aust. moves when it comes to post sales service - Das Clunk!

It's a shame, because (IMO) the shoddy Discover media unit seriously detracts from what is an otherwise extremely nice vehicle.

PS: When you asked your dealer about the dead "Voice" button on the Discover media head, did you also ask what the "Traffic" button does (or, is your car one of those that actually has a working traffic button)?

boardie_19
20-06-2014, 09:59 PM
DV52,

Yes, will go back and definitely take a read.

I have to say, the whole navigation unit seems like an afterthought. Have already raised the issue of the system not being able to pronounce a street to save itself. They tell me Germany is aware of the issue with no fix in sight. Poor form. Test this stuff before you put the car on the market. Thankfully i only use the car on weekends at the very most and do not rely on the navigation system.

Yes, the traffic button displays 'no reports' i think... i am guessing this also is not supported in Australia.

My friend in the UK has a Mk7 GTI with the voice control option. He said he had it delivered with the vehicle early last year.

DV52
20-06-2014, 10:27 PM
DV52,

Yes, will go back and definitely take a read.

I have to say, the whole navigation unit seems like an afterthought. Have already raised the issue of the system not being able to pronounce a street to save itself. They tell me Germany is aware of the issue with no fix in sight. Poor form. Test this stuff before you put the car on the market. Thankfully i only use the car on weekends at the very most and do not rely on the navigation system.

Yes, the traffic button displays 'no reports' i think... i am guessing this also is not supported in Australia.

My friend in the UK has a Mk7 GTI with the voice control option. He said he had it delivered with the vehicle early last year.

boardie_19: You sound just as I did when I first got my car 12 months ago!
I too have had long conversations with VW Aust about the appalling voice pronunciation of the SATNAV voice. VW Aust have known about this issue well before I started talking to them and still no fix (so don't expect much from VWA's statement that Germany is aware of the problem). How hard can it be to get a street navigation software to say the word "Road" correctly?

As for the "Traffic" button, there is good news! I started a post on here suggesting the fledgling steps for a VCDS tweak to enable the traffic button. A couple of colleagues with far greater skills than me completed the tweak. You probably don't have a VCDS cable, but I'm sure someone from the forum up in Sydney who has one will be happy to help. The complete instructions are at the following link (don't tell your dealer)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-post1038915.html#post1038915 - see post #557

boardie_19
20-06-2014, 11:26 PM
DV52,

Thanks so much for providing this. Sure, like most owners... I want to get the most out of my new toy so will look into doing this.

Within days of vehicle delivery I noticed the registration plate lights were incorrect. Referred back to the brochure which confirmed my suspicion. Fought with the dealer.. Returned twice etc... Eventually resolved but this was all within the first 5 days of ownership.

The navigation issue is something else... They really are not interested.

I love the car but service in this country sadly stinks. My dealership is horrible to deal with... Quick to take the coin, but that's about all.
I expected more from Volkswagen.

I traded in a Mazda that was only a few years old. It had a few warranty issues while I owned it but nothing was ever a problem. The service was impeccable. Always follow up calls, car detailed each and every time... No hesitation in recommending the brand... Sadly I can't say the same for Volkswagen. Good thing I love the car! ��

pologti18t
21-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Yes, its a UKP180 option in the UK
As is the Discover navigation system - UKP750

Different markets have different standard equipment and options.

pologti18t
21-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I just thought (perhaps, hoped) that VW Aust had finally got their SH#T together and had made available a fully integrated voice control function for the Discover media unit (like they do in USA) - where the driver can input the street address into the SATNAV by speaking the words.

What models on sale in the US use the Discover units? They seem to use the RNS315 or 510. No mention of voice control for sat nav. Maybe selecting names for a phonecall

boardie_19
21-06-2014, 02:16 PM

DV52,

My bad.... i pressed the traffic button this morning and it brought up a whole heap of traffic delays around town. I took a few pics but have no idea how to upload on this thing (although i was able to with the initial sign up i think).

Down in the corner it displayed SUNA... maybe thats the system that supports it.

Anyways, doubt i will ever use it being in the car on a weekend at the most.... but disappointing that others don't have access to this.

:(

DV52
21-06-2014, 04:25 PM
DV52,

My bad.... i pressed the traffic button this morning and it brought up a whole heap of traffic delays around town. I took a few pics but have no idea how to upload on this thing (although i was able to with the initial sign up i think).

Down in the corner it displayed SUNA... maybe thats the system that supports it.

Anyways, doubt i will ever use it being in the car on a weekend at the most.... but disappointing that others don't have access to this.

:(
Boardie_19: Congrarts, seems like Traffic is active on your new car! SUNA is the provider of the traffic reports. You should also see a series of small triangles on the SATNAV screen in the locations where these warks are being conducted. If you touch the screen at these points, a more detailed report is displayed.

As for how to post pics on this forum, this is how it's done (for future reference):
Place the cursor where you want the pic to be inserted, click the tag symbol that I have circled in the pic below:

The background will go opaque and you will then get the windows dialogue box shown in the screen below

If the file that you want to paste onto your post is on your PC (likely this will be the case), make sure that the "From Computer" tab is selected (I've circled this tab). Then click "Basic Uploader" (circled in the bottom RHS of the dialogue box)

You should then get the next screen

Click the " Browse" button and find your file on your PC. Once the location of the file is shown on the tab next to the Browse button, press "Upload files(s)" tab and wait a few seconds for the magic to happen. Note: there are restrictions on the type of files that can be pasted into a post

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing examples of your new-found expertise

boardie_19
21-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks so much... great for future reference! :banana:

Spydar
26-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I just got voice control added to my 4 week old 7R. I negotiated it in the sale ( ie Free)

Thank god I didn't pay for it. I had voice control in my Mk6 GTI and although it sometime struggled to understand it was a hundred times better. The mk6 would let me enter street names and towns in the navigation section. The discover media in the R does not. Plus its a bit slower to acknowledge a command and move to the next command option.

If you don't negotiate it in the deal - do yourself a favour and dont bother paying the $500 and get it installed later. You're better off putting towards some aftermarket accessories or tinted windows etc. Its an absolute joke. And i agree with comments about the Mercedes voice control... VWG need to pull their fingers out and get a proper voice control system. Even ford is got a cracker!

grtuned
27-11-2014, 08:27 AM
All types of voice control systems are difficult to use at times. Using Siri on an I phone is a joke and even on genuine older Vw systems it was difficult to get it right the first time. I don't think technology is good enough to differentiate accents at the moment or will ever be.
Good advise in suggesting other options for people to spend money on rather than something you will eventually get annoyed with and never use.

BFPO40
27-11-2014, 11:48 AM
I have full voice control on my nav pro, it is......rubbish.

Ok for quick navigation and calls provided the name / location is super clear, obvious etc.

Much of the time I get frustrated with it getting it wrong and give up - it is almost like a Monty Python sketch.

If you think Siri is bad.......the VW system is infinitely worse.

Dawson
08-01-2015, 08:23 AM
So I've got a courtesy GTI PP while my GTI is getting fixed and it's got the voice control activated and seems easy enough to use, but when speaking to the service center about it they said it's just a code that they have to buy from VW to activate the voice control, nothing more.
Will be interesting to see if someone can come up with a work around to activate it.

fastmk7
08-01-2015, 12:08 PM
I believe it is available from dealers as an accessory , in this case no doubt an encrypted download cost suposedly approx $375.

DV52
09-01-2015, 06:19 PM
So I've got a courtesy GTI PP while my GTI is getting fixed and it's got the voice control activated and seems easy enough to use, but when speaking to the service center about it they said it's just a code that they have to buy from VW to activate the voice control, nothing more.
Will be interesting to see if someone can come up with a work around to activate it.

Dawson: VWW's resident VCDS guru (Ryan_R) tried to crack the code for enabling voice control with a little input from me. His (and a few other knowledgeable forum members') conclusion after much tinkering was that the fix is more than a "tweak" with a VCDS cable.

You can read about our findings here (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-89895-post1026530.html#post1026530) (read down to jdbrown1953's post).

It seems that other than a simple change of setting to bit1 of byte24 in address 5F control module, the "code" that your dealer mentioned provides the actual commands upon which voice control operates. In some VW models (like some Audi vehicles) this code is resident in the car - but this appears not to be the case in the mk7.

Without a copy of this code, I'm not sure that a work-around is possible. No one has been able to provide a crack for this feature to date - but I would be delighted to be proven wrong!

Dawson
09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Dawson: VWW's resident VCDS guru (Ryan_R) tried to crack the code for enabling voice control with a little input from me. His (and a few other knowledgeable forum members') conclusion after much tinkering was that the fix is more than a "tweak" with a VCDS cable.

You can read about our findings here (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-89895-post1026530.html#post1026530) (read down to jdbrown1953's post).

It seems that other than a simple change of setting to bit1 of byte24 in address 5F control module, the "code" that your dealer mentioned provides the actual commands upon which voice control operates. In some VW models (like some Audi vehicles) this code is resident in the car - but this appears not to be the case in the mk7.

Without a copy of this code, I'm not sure that a work-around is possible. No one has been able to provide a crack for this feature to date - but I would be delighted to be proven wrong!

DV52,

agree with everything you said, im sure its a case of the service manager not knowing the 100% details of the update, she was on our side though and actually said it was a joke that they have to buy the update from VW Head office and then on sell the "update" for something already in the car.
The GTI PP loan car I had for 2 days had it enabled, wasn't perfect, but it more to the point frustrated me more that the voice buttons don't work in my car! Haha

peekay34
05-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi Guys if it has not been mentioned before VW have released a software update to resolve the voice issue in the MK7 this was released on the 27/5 if you are not aware. My car is booked in next Thursday to get this update and will report back then.

irossiter
05-06-2015, 12:16 PM
I've just had it done at my first service. Only had it back a short time but certainly seems to be better. Of course it couldn't get any worse[emoji38]. I'm the first car they have done it to so I'll also report back to them next week. It was simply terrible and embarrassing for such a massive company to get so wrong. I'll report back here tonight after a long drive.

Eaglehawk
05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Is this fix just for those with the voice recognition "option", or for all Sat-Nav systems? (V1/V2?)

bushnut
05-06-2015, 07:05 PM
For all golf 7 sat navs nothing to do with voice recognition takes about an hour to do

Darkhorse Developments
05-06-2015, 07:19 PM
About time!

booba
05-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Great, I am taking the 7R back to VW for it's first service so i can those black plastic thingys on the rear hatch that are coming off fixed and any software updates such as this.

DV52
05-06-2015, 10:14 PM
When it comes to fixing stuff, VW Australia's reputation for moving at a glacial pace is well deserved (IMO) - seems like we have yet an other example of this here! How long has it been since these problems were first identified - has to be close to 3 years? And how hard can it be to have a SATNAV say "road" (not "row-ed") correctly in the 21st century? Still, better late than never.

Anyone got an identifying number for this software patch that we can qote to the stealers when they say that they have never heard of the fix?

Ralfi
06-06-2015, 01:07 AM
For all golf 7 sat navs nothing to do with voice recognition takes about an hour to do

An hour?!

I was told to put aside a day for it....

I'll call up another branch & be told something different of course....

Eaglehawk
06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Frankly, the fix I'm after more is the ability to update V1 SatNav systems. No point in saying row-ed if it doesn't have it on the map!!!

DV52
06-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Frankly, the fix I'm after more is the ability to update V1 SatNav systems. No point in saying row-ed if it doesn't have it on the map!!!

Eaglehawk: LOL- a very good and well made point!!

I got so excited when I read peekay's good news that I forgot about the V1 update delay. You have identified a further example of VW Australia's glacial speed at fixing systemic problems in the mk7. The SATNAV on my Golf is a V1 as well - so I have the same concerns!
Don

bushnut
07-06-2015, 08:35 AM
The process only takes about an hour but Volkswagen haven't produced an sd card with the data on so we have to download a special program and all the files from the VW server which takes ages but once you've got the sd card made. its plug it into the infotainment unit download it onto the unit update then reset the unit with VW tester done. Road tested a unit not updated and one that had been on Friday massive improvement the lady talking still sounds a little slow like she's had a big night out but is no longer related to Stephen Hawkins. I think the problem was the speech was trying to read road that was abbreviated to Rd another super slow fix from VW but here ahead of there end of the year prediction.

ay33ta
30-06-2015, 08:27 PM
To ppl in Sydney with 90tsi comfortline. I got the voice activation from McGrath Volkswagen Liverpool for $245.

This was a software upgrade via sd card.

What i would like to know is does anyone have a list of the spoken voice commands that i can use on my model car. I can do the telephone commands, is that it?

I have seen in pictures also commands for radio station and media. I don't have them. I dont think they were programmed in. Can my model car get them or are they for the highline model.

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully someone can help.

DV52
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
To ppl in Sydney with 90tsi comfortline. I got the voice activation from McGrath Volkswagen Liverpool for $245.

This was a software upgrade via sd card.

What i would like to know is does anyone have a list of the spoken voice commands that i can use on my model car. I can do the telephone commands, is that it?

I have seen in pictures also commands for radio station and media. I don't have them. I dont think they were programmed in. Can my model car get them or are they for the highline model.

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully someone can help.

ay33ta:Hi. Like you I also had voice control retro-fitted to my mk7 (albeit, mine was installed as a warranty matter). After I had VC installed, I posted a series of pictures showing how it is used. you will find my post HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369)

Hope that it is useful in answering some of your questions
Cheers
Don

ay33ta
01-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi Dv52. In your photo you have radio and media. I see you have 103tsi. I have 90tsi comfortline and i dont have radio or media.

What i like to know is if radio and media is for highline model or can comfortline get it. Maybe they didnt program it in. Thats all i want to know.

Thanks

DV52
02-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Hi Dv52. In your photo you have radio and media. I see you have 103tsi. I have 90tsi comfortline and i dont have radio or media.

What i like to know is if radio and media is for highline model or can comfortline get it. Maybe they didnt program it in. Thats all i want to know.

Thanks

ay33ta: Hm......, not sure but I would have thought that both Radio and Media should be accessible for the 90tsi (but not the SATNAV commands of course). It seems reasonable to assume that radio and media should be accessible with VC because both these are part of the native 90TSI architecture.

Sounds odd that you can't get access to these two functions. If you push the MENU button and scroll to the SETUP option you should get the first screen on my post. I assume that you have ticked the box "Display available commands". You should get the two options on the RHS of the second screen in my post - you may need to have a chat to the dealer

Cheers
Don

Mikey1
02-07-2015, 09:12 PM
The process only takes about an hour but Volkswagen haven't produced an sd card with the data on so we have to download a special program and all the files from the VW server which takes ages but once you've got the sd card made. its plug it into the infotainment unit download it onto the unit update then reset the unit with VW tester done. Road tested a unit not updated and one that had been on Friday massive improvement the lady talking still sounds a little slow like she's had a big night out but is no longer related to Stephen Hawkins. I think the problem was the speech was trying to read road that was abbreviated to Rd another super slow fix from VW but here ahead of there end of the year prediction.

I had mine done today by my local dealer, and I'm happy with the outcome, but the update is no silver bullet. The problem is not completely fixed, as per the referenced post, but the update is a reasonable attempt by VW Australia to finally address its customers' concerns, or should that be complaints!

I don't know understand why the problem exists. Our other car, a Mercedes with Navigation DVD COMAND, uses the Sensis Whereis program, and all pronunciation is perfect.

For those who are contemplating getting the update:

- The update is documented in a VW TPI (Technical Product Information).

- Customers who don't complain about the existing issue may not be offered the update when they present their car for routine service, so you need to ask.

- The VW dealer is not reimbursed by VW Australia for the labour involved in performing the update, so don't expect anyone other than the selling dealer to assist you with a no charge arrangement.

- The update takes about an hour, as per the the referenced post, but this assumes the dealer has had previous experience with the issue.

- The result is not dependent on the map version you are using.

sucnip
06-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I stopped by my local dealer this afternoon to have a few minor items looked at under warranty and asked about the SatNav update. The tech said the update came in TODAY and is a 2.5 hour job to install (They'll need your car for the day).

I am booked in for late next week. Will update this thread with the results of the update.

sucnip
06-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Software was updated to version 450. The SatNav now pronounces words significantly better. I was not charged for the update (warranty) at my non-purchase dealer.

AutoZoom randomness is still an issue.

No other observable changes at this time.

Good luck!

wasabiz
06-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I had this update 3 weeks ago, and boy did the sat nav pronounce words 1000x better.

sucnip
06-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Great to hear. Do you recall any other changes? Map version changes?

What is your current map version?

Ralfi
06-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Had mine done last week. It's better, but still no where near as 'human' as Google maps' American accent.

Map version doesn't change. It's just a pronunciation fix.

Disliking the Nav these days - a lot of the frustration comes from the intermittent 'Background Fade' function of the music source whilst a Nav command is read out.....I've spent too much time trying to get it working again after it decides to stop.....& I still can't work out how I've managed to fix it - I normally tinker with other volume settings & it seems to come good. Then I jump in the car again & it fails....

Mikey1
07-07-2015, 06:20 PM
This modified reply has been copied from my original reply under "Voice Control" - post #156, which should supplement comments and questions from the OP.

I had mine done on 02/07/15 by my local selling dealer, and I'm happy with the outcome, but the update is no silver bullet. The problem is not completely fixed, but the update is a reasonable attempt by VW Australia to finally address its customers' concerns or complaints.

For those who are contemplating getting the update:

- The update is documented in a VW TPI (Technical Product Information).

- Customers who don't complain about the existing issue may not be offered the update when they present their car for routine service, so you need to ask.

- The VW dealer is not reimbursed by VW Australia for the labour involved in performing the update, as it's not a warranty issue, so don't expect anyone other than the selling dealer to assist you at no cost.

- The update takes about an hour, but this assumes the dealer has had previous experience with the issue.

- The result is not dependent on the map version you are using.

Vexed
07-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Is this update for RNS510? Thanks.

wasabiz
07-07-2015, 07:45 PM
I updated my map version to the 2015 map myself, so I guess that was unchanged. Plus the traffic feature didn't go away too.

Mikey1
07-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Is this update for RNS510? Thanks.

This thread only refers to the Discover Media Navigation System fitted to Golf Mk7s.

Vexed
07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
This thread only refers to the Discover Media Navigation System fitted to Golf Mk7s.

Oh, sorry, I was checking this thread on my mobile.

Martini
22-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Got a new GTI Performance and the Sat Nav "voice" is mispronouncing road "reod" and A "I", amongst other words. Standards announcements are fine.
The dealer tells me VW are aware of this fault and new SD cards will be issued in Oct or Nov to correct it. Anyone else have this problem or know of VW being aware of it and sorting it out. Not sure if I'm being fobbed off or not!

Eaglehawk
22-07-2015, 11:20 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-89895-post1134422.html#post1134422

Oct/Nov? Really?

Darkhorse Developments
23-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Yes its been a issue from day 1 with golf 7. I think so dealers have the SD card to fix and some dont yet.

Mikey1
23-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Got a new GTI Performance and the Sat Nav "voice" is mispronouncing road "reod" and A "I", amongst other words. Standards announcements are fine.
The dealer tells me VW are aware of this fault and new SD cards will be issued in Oct or Nov to correct it. Anyone else have this problem or know of VW being aware of it and sorting it out. Not sure if I'm being fobbed off or not!

Refer my previous reply on post #162. I'm unaware of any replacement initiative for the satnav SD cards, as these only contain the maps and not the navigation directions. Upgrading of the navigation directions is as I have described it. However, the more I have used it since the upgrade, I realise further improvements are still required, such as the pronunciation of road/highway route numbering. I doubt there will ever be a true fix, due to the release of the revamped 6.5 inch screen unit offering a marked improvement in all aspects of the previous unit, which I'm sure VW regret ever bringing to market.

To be more specific on how the upgrade is achieved, the map SD card is temporarily removed and substituted with a dealer supplied SD card containing the navigation directions, which I understand may only be used once per application. Subsequent applications require a fresh download, which apparently is slow to download from the Volkswagen server.

Martini
23-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Sorry - my message had nothing to do with voice control ( which is inactive BTW). Can anyone answer my question (Which has now been removed - thanks) about the Sat Nav???

Mikey1
23-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Sorry - my message had nothing to do with voice control ( which is inactive BTW). Can anyone answer my question (Which has now been removed - thanks) about the Sat Nav???
My fault for the confusion, I don't have voice control either. I should not have used the words "voice commands". I will edit my previous replies to "navigation directions". Therefore, I think my replies are relevant to your query.

BFPO40
06-08-2015, 01:18 AM
To those who have had the VC updated, does it still pronounce RD (Road) as ARR DEEE i.e. Turn left onto Cameron ARRDEE!!!

I'm not sure if my voice control is the same as I have the nav pro.

Jimi
06-08-2015, 01:17 PM
It's fixed, thank god. No more ROO-ADD

DV52
06-08-2015, 03:41 PM
^^^: Yes - the software patch certainly has fixed the pronunciation of "road", but I wouldn't say that the problem has been rectified in its entirety. Still hear many words that make you think -"WTF is that meant to be?". For example, when it pronounces the word "40", it says "furry"!

However, I suspect that VW Australia won't bother doing any more patches to these model SATNAVs - classic case of redefining the criteria for success!

agentthumb
06-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Spoke with Cricks Highway at Springwood QLD, apparently I'm the only one to have asked for this. Getting the SD card ready will take them 1 hr. He said it should then take another hour to "force update" The sat Nav. Free of charge.

GT1977
07-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Had mine done today at Solitaire in Adelaide. Took about 1.5 hours. Greatly improved pronouncements. No charge. Very happy with the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eaglehawk
03-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Tried to get my MY13 110TDI to get this fix. I was told that "The Internet" is wrong and that the fix is in fact tied into the map update. Which as we all know, doesn't exist for the V1 SatNav people like me. Is "The Internet" wrong, or are they wrong? They told me they have a list of people waiting for the map update.

BTW, they also told me that everyone doing the 2015 map update using the International map we all know exists would in fact be "voiding their warranty". LOL - I love the fact they don't give me any updates for 2 years, but turn around the say you're voiding warranty too if you do it from another source.

TJG
03-09-2015, 10:13 AM
BTW, they also told me that everyone doing the 2015 map update using the International map we all know exists would in fact be "voiding their warranty". LOL - I love the fact they don't give me any updates for 2 years, but turn around the say you're voiding warranty too if you do it from another source.

I think your dealer is a wrong - The V2 maps are now available from the Australian (Asia Pacific) navigation site:

VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_AU/-/EUR/View-Promo;pgid=esNScX5DNLNSR0IyiQla3buh00004QflRB1H;si d=MW5Lkg3eyXVLklg5vZ4JmgfUZsDBLApPwI1MA_w9?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New)& (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_AU/-/AUD/AffiliatePrefix-Start;pgid=jfZisXVlP2pSR0sprjbLcvfw0000RDVhPsLa;si d=MW5Lkg3eyXVLklg5vZ4JmgfUZsDBLApPwI1MA_w9?&ProgramUUID=a3wKCggQrZIAAAEVyvEkNwEl&)

and they are exactly the same maps as from the South American site: "P31_N60S3MIBS2_ROW_NT.7z" (How would they know where you got them from anyway???)

Also I don't think the "pronounciation fix" has anything to do with these maps, but it may be specific to the V2 systems???.

DV52
03-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Tried to get my MY13 110TDI to get this fix. I was told that "The Internet" is wrong and that the fix is in fact tied into the map update. Which as we all know, doesn't exist for the V1 SatNav people like me. Is "The Internet" wrong, or are they wrong? They told me they have a list of people waiting for the map update.

Eaglehawk: Don't you just love the way that VW dealers always talk in absolutes as if they are always correct! I can't recall having a conversation with them where the words "I could be wrong" was ever uttered!

Their only saving grace is that they always smile when they take your money!!

cheers
Don

PS: after much debate (they finally agreed to look in their database for the TPI), I eventuall had the pronunciation fix installed on my MY13 vehicle without the map update - mine is a V1 map too. But don't get too excited, the pronunciation is certainly better, but it started from a very bad base - still a long way from the pronunciation that I get from my $100 hand-held GPS (why can't it pronounce "40" properly - it always says "fuurrie"?)

Eaglehawk
04-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know the TPI number?

TJG
04-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know the TPI number?

I believe this is it: TPI: 2039768/1

sucnip
08-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Lol. The update is now available on the Australia section of the Map update website. Surprise! It's the same file.

Sucnip

Kiaorana
26-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Hi guys, I'm sure it's been asked already, but I can't seem to find a relevant thread. I picked up my MY16 GTI yesterday and when I pressed the voice control button on the steering wheel, it said on the screen that I require an activation key from the dealer.

Is that right?

Ralfi
26-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Yeah that's right.

But why would you bother paying for ordinary voice control when you have access to the free Siri or Android voice functions?

Kiaorana
26-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks mate! I'm not planning on paying for anything! I was just wondering if they forgot to activate it before delivery. If that was the case I would have asked them to do so, but since I have to pay, I won't!

Eaglehawk
26-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks mate! I'm not planning on paying for anything! I was just wondering if they forgot to activate it before delivery. If that was the case I would have asked them to do so, but since I have to pay, I won't!

Is this your first VW? :)

VW in typical form, despite the brochure saying it was standard (well, back in 2013 anyway), want the nerve to charge for this option. Just doing some expectation management before you come and post about how they want to charge $$$ for something.

Let's hope your MY16 is MEANT to have it...good luck!

Ralfi
26-09-2015, 04:37 PM

Good stuff. Siri's miles ahead of it. Not perfect, but tremendous value for money for a voice activation feature :P You'll love it.

pologti18t
26-09-2015, 04:38 PM

VW in typical form, despite the brochure saying it was standard (well, back in 2013 anyway), want the nerve to charge for this option.

It's an option on the Golf in the UK.

And no mention of it in MY16 Golf Brochure

Kiaorana
26-09-2015, 04:54 PM

VW in typical form, despite the brochure saying it was standard (well, back in 2013 anyway), want the nerve to charge for this option. Just doing some expectation management before you come and post about how they want to charge $$$ for something.

Let's hope your MY16 is MEANT to have it...good luck!

It's not actually, I had an MK6 GTI which had voice recognition, hence why I'm surprised!

Seph
16-10-2015, 12:47 PM
It's not actually, I had an MK6 GTI which had voice recognition, hence why I'm surprised!

Guys, I've got an MY16 R, with MIIB 6.5" - are these units in the same situation as the older discover units? My voice control button also does not work....

anyone tried any of the above with MIIB yet?

DV52
16-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Guys, I've got an MY16 R, with MIIB 6.5" - are these units in the same situation as the older discover units? My voice control button also does not work....

Seph: It's little solace (I know), but the situation with Voice Control hasn't changed since the release of the MY13 Golf - yet further evidence of the glacial pace at which VW Australia moves! If you look at the first few pages in this thread, you will read the similar frustrations of us early buyers of the mk7. I was able to get VC fitted (without incurring a charge from VW Australia) and I wrote-up a short few words about the facility (complete with pictures) which you can find HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-speech-issues-questions-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369). But I have to say that I've seldom used the facility [it's limited in application and it often confuses my words).

As for MIBII, when I got VC, I did some work with a couple of forum colleagues here to see if we could just tweak the coding string on the MIB unit to enable VC. We found that whilst there did need to be a change to the code at address 5F (Byte 24 , Bit 1 needs to be set), the MIB doesn't have the VC software as default from the factory. Some models (like some Audi models) do have this software inbuilt into the car's DNA- but not the mk7. This was for MIB ver1, but it sounds like the situation is the same for MIBII

Cheers
Don

Seph
28-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Seph: It's little solace (I know), but the situation with Voice Control hasn't changed since the release of the MY13 Golf - yet further evidence of the glacial pace at which VW Australia moves! If you look at the first few pages in this thread, you will read the similar frustrations of us early buyers of the mk7. I was able to get VC fitted (without incurring a charge from VW Australia) and I wrote-up a short few words about the facility (complete with pictures) which you can find HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-control-speech-issues-questions-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369). But I have to say that I've seldom used the facility [it's limited in application and it often confuses my words).

As for MIBII, when I got VC, I did some work with a couple of forum colleagues here to see if we could just tweak the coding string on the MIB unit to enable VC. We found that whilst there did need to be a change to the code at address 5F (Byte 24 , Bit 1 needs to be set), the MIB doesn't have the VC software as default from the factory. Some models (like some Audi models) do have this software inbuilt into the car's DNA- but not the mk7. This was for MIB ver1, but it sounds like the situation is the same for MIBII

Cheers
Don

Thanks Don, comprehensive answer.

Anyone found a way to perhaps make it a mute button instead? Pressing it just gives it an annoying error message, may as well make it semi useful,,,,

mythik
04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Just had this installed via BurwinVW. Part number 5G0054802A.

The activation was done using function deactivation within the Offboard Diagnostic Information System Service. There is no way we are able to enable this using VCDS as this is a part of the component protection system submission to VW setup.

Process: The code from the booklet was entered in, a bunch of crap and a submission of the new coding to vw later with approval and it was done. The power on the headunit needed cycling by pressing and holding the power button on the radio for 10 seconds and that was it.

DV52
04-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Just had this installed via BurwinVW. Part number 5G0054802A.

The activation was done using function deactivation within the Offboard Diagnostic Information System Service. There is no way we are able to enable this using VCDS as this is a part of the component protection system submission to VW setup.

Process: The code from the booklet was entered in, a bunch of crap and a submission of the new coding to vw later with approval and it was done. The power on the headunit needed cycling by pressing and holding the power button on the radio for 10 seconds and that was it.

mythic: Interesting information - thanks for sharing!

Somewhat surprised about the need to interface with Component Protection - I had thought that VW's FAZIT was used for this activity. I was aware that J794 (the infotainment unit in the glove box) was included in what VW calls the "constellation" of control modules for CP (in fact, all control modules that are connected to the MOST150 ring topology are covered by CP), but I'm surprised that adding the SD Card software for Voice Control involved resetting CP protocols - strange (IMO).

Before your post, I had thought that the only level of surveillance by the CAN Gateway for CP breaches was at a control module identity level. My understanding was that the CAN Gateway interrogates each of the control modules in the constellation at each ignition switch-on. If the identity of any of the control modules in the constellation are not identical to the identity at the previous ignition switch-on, CP errors were generated. Your information suggests that the interrogation protocols happen at a much deeper level than just the identity of the control module (i.e. it also includes features within the control module like VC) - Interesting and entirely new information - to me at least!!

Any new facts are always welcomed in the mysterious world of the mk7!!
Thanks again
Don

mythik
04-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Just to be clear, there was no SD card. It was a piece of paper with an activation code on it only. The MY15 and earlier units may differ on this as my unit is the latest (3 weeks old - just arrived from Germany) and is a MY16.

mythik
04-11-2015, 06:46 PM
All of that being said, importantly, it's terrible. Limited use. I just had to have the car complete because why the **** did they leave it out :(

DV52
04-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Just to be clear, there was no SD card. It was a piece of paper with an activation code on it only. The MY15 and earlier units may differ on this as my unit is the latest (3 weeks old - just arrived from Germany) and is a MY16.

mythic: OK, in my case, VC was added to the car (as a retrofit item) via an SD card that contained the actual voice commands. Hmm... more strange stuff - you are suggesting (I think) that modern mk7s actually have the VC software embedded in their DNA and all that is needed is an activation code-and CP error management - interesting! This may mean that a VCP cable could be used to activate VC
Don

mythik
06-11-2015, 01:13 PM
mythic: OK, in my case, VC was added to the car (as a retrofit item) via an SD card that contained the actual voice commands. Hmm... more strange stuff - you are suggesting (I think) that modern mk7s actually have the VC software embedded in their DNA and all that is needed is an activation code-and CP error management - interesting! This may mean that a VCP cable could be used to activate VC
Don

Don,

I've confirmed this with Aaron from BurwinVW. The older gen units required a firmware update on an SD card to bring in the voice data with the maps (it was a big map/voice/firmware update).

The latest units shipping right here and now which are CarPlay enabled come with the correct firmware and maps and voice data such that component activation is the only thing determining YAY VOICES or booooooo no voices.

:)

prn31
28-11-2015, 09:59 PM
So I have just put a deposit on an MY15.5 (well a very late MY15) GTI PP. This car is located 3 hours from me so all my dealings with the salesman have been over the phone.

I asked the salesman about Voice Control and he said he would get back to me. When he did, he said it was a factory option and it wasn't fitted to my car. He really had no idea, but to be fair to the guy, he has only been selling VWs for a month or so.

I have read the 20 pages of this thread and realise that Voice Control has limitations, but I do want the dealer to load it free of charge as part of my sales contract. I'm going to have to do this by email as I won't see my GTI PP until the day I pick it up, which could be more than a week away.

How do I know (or how can I ask the salesman) whether I have the latest SatNav update (V2?) and what do I have to do get the dealer to obtain the SD Card and do the software update which I understand is Part 5G0054802A to activate Voice Control?

Thanks for your help.
Paul

Merlin8r43
01-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi guys, if this has already been covered go ahead and delete, BUT...

If you too are baffled as to why the posh girl in your Satnav says rah-id instead of road, there is an easy fix! Press Menu-Setup, then down to Language. It may take a few seconds for it to become available. Default is English (UK). Up top right is a drop down menu that says Female. Change that to Male and be amazed! See? Even VW knows women can't read maps.

The One
01-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Hi guys, if this has already been covered go ahead and delete, BUT...

If you too are baffled as to why the posh girl in your Satnav says rah-id instead of road, there is an easy fix! Press Menu-Setup, then down to Language. It may take a few seconds for it to become available. Default is English (UK). Up top right is a drop down menu that says Female. Change that to Male and be amazed! See? Even VW knows women can't read maps.

There's an actual offical fix for this that is a software update via a SD card with a TPI @ your dealer, just go there and complain about it and they will perform the fix...

Merlin8r43
01-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh really? Funny they didn't tell me. The bums!

Idle
02-12-2015, 09:29 AM
The fix isn't all that crash hot — some words improve, others get worse.

Merlin8r43
02-12-2015, 11:21 AM
There's an actual offical fix for this that is a software update via a SD card with a TPI @ your dealer, just go there and complain about it and they will perform the fix...

Confirmed. My car is booked in for next week, though they seemed a little reluctant to admit there was a fix. Is it a free update, or do service charges apply?

The One
02-12-2015, 01:21 PM
It's free mate. It does work, it's not great but it does improve a whole lot.

prn31
03-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Confirmed. My car is booked in for next week, though they seemed a little reluctant to admit there was a fix. Is it a free update, or do service charges apply?

Do you have a reference to the official fix? I am picking up my new GTI PP next week and just want to alert the dealer so that I can get this done before picking up my new car.

Merlin8r43
03-12-2015, 01:39 PM
I don't sorry. I just asked in the service department and they knew about it.

The One
03-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Do you have a reference to the official fix? I am picking up my new GTI PP next week and just want to alert the dealer so that I can get this done before picking up my new car.

If you're picking up a new one, then the fix should already be applied.

Merlin8r43
10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Just collected my car after having the fix applied, and I'm very pleased with the result. The English male voice is still better than the female. 'Road', 'Street' and 'Avenue' are all pronounced correctly. Some streets that it inexplicabley mispronounced are now correct. Still doesn't like double T's though. Parramatta etc are still pronounced as 'Parramarra'. Perhaps it is difficult to electronically produce a T sound.

prn31
30-12-2015, 02:00 PM
So when I purchased my GTI PP I got the Voice Activation SD Card thrown in free of charge. Only problem was they didn't have it in stock when I picked up the car.

I've just been told by the dealership that the SD Card is on back order from Germany. There are none in the country. Guess that with the MY16 MIB II using an activation code for Voice Control there is no need for the SD Card to be kept in stock.....

Another quick question. Does the Discover Media unit have HDD capacity like the RNS 510? If both SD card holders have the Navigation and Voice Control loaded I presume you can't load any music via an SD card?

Ryan_R
30-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Only the Discover Pro has a HDD iirc.

DV52
30-12-2015, 11:22 PM
So when I purchased my GTI PP I got the Voice Activation SD Card thrown in free of charge. Only problem was they didn't have it in stock when I picked up the car.

I've just been told by the dealership that the SD Card is on back order from Germany. There are none in the country. Guess that with the MY16 MIB II using an activation code for Voice Control there is no need for the SD Card to be kept in stock.....

Another quick question. Does the Discover Media unit have HDD capacity like the RNS 510? If both SD card holders have the Navigation and Voice Control loaded I presume you can't load any music via an SD card?

prn31: If the process is the same as on my car (which also needed an SD Card for VC), the SD card is only used to load the VC software into the Discover media unit. Once this happens, the SD card is no longer needed and the slot ifs free to use for music. In my case the dealer wouldn't allow me to take the SD card - they kept it
Don

Flipper Dog
31-12-2015, 10:37 AM
I'll second on what Don stated above. There should be no need for the SD card remaining in the 2nd slot, I have just loaded additional POIs (speed and red light cameras) and it was only a matter of inserting the SD card to load them into the system. Same with the radio station images. There must be some internal memory to allow voice files to be stored.

shihantha
27-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Just thought I would share something I picked up on voice control. I wanted to use voice control with Android Auto and Apple carplay. I asked my VW dealer to activate voice control on my Jetta MY16. They said it would cost ~$200. Although it wasn't as high as I expected I didn't end up getting it.

What I found out though was that when using Android Auto and Carplay if you hold the VC button down for 2 seconds it will actually activate the Android Auto and carplay voice recognition system. If you just press it once it gives the same 'activation required' message that everyone talks about. The VW dealership and service centre didn't know about this either.

VRJ
27-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Just thought I would share something I picked up on voice control. I wanted to use voice control with Android Auto and Apple carplay. I asked my VW dealer to activate voice control on my Jetta MY16. They said it would cost ~$200. Although it wasn't as high as I expected I didn't end up getting it.

What I found out though was that when using Android Auto and Carplay if you hold the VC button down for 2 seconds it will actually activate the Android Auto and carplay voice recognition system. If you just press it once it gives the same 'activation required' message that everyone talks about. The VW dealership and service centre didn't know about this either.

Hey thanks shihantha. I'll give this a shot.

TKNick
27-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Yes your recollection is correct though i believe it is also an option overseas. I think it costs approx $400 to have your voice control switched on. It is confusing why VW do this as in other models like the Beetle and Tiguan the voice control is standard. Probably just a money grab as the Golf is a high volume seller.

rpwolf
27-01-2016, 08:10 PM

This also works with Apple phones and Siri. Hold down the Voice button for a second and if you've got Apple CarPlay going it will activate Siri.

rpwolf
27-01-2016, 08:12 PM

You can load music onto an SD card (say, MP3s) and as long as the card is in there you can play the music via Media. But it won't download the music to the car - remove the SD card and you can no longer play music.

I believe the same applies when you put a memory stick into the USB port under the head unit.

prn31
11-02-2016, 08:29 PM
So finally I have my Voice Control "package" from my VW dealer. Because I'm in Sydney and the car was purchased from the country, it came via the post. No dramas I thought, I'll just insert the SD card and I will have Voice Control!

However, when I opened the "DVD case" my heart sank when I realised that I've been sent an Activation Code that needs to be entered by an authorised workshop. The part number is 5G0.054.802, which from my review of this thread can only be used for MY16 MIB2 and not on my MY15 MIB1. Am I correct in my thinking? Does anyone have the part no. for the Voice Activation SD Card?

I'm getting my Passat R36 serviced next week at Volks Muller, so I can see whether they can activate the Voice Command on the Golf, but I'm not confident that they can put an activation code into an MIB1. Am I wrong??

Paul

prn31
11-02-2016, 09:18 PM
So I've been doing a bit more reading on the subject.

My Golf is a May 15 build, which is the first month of the MIB1 with the V3 "0031" SD cards, according to one of the other forums. I believe this had the updated Voice Commands. I know my Golf started with the 0031 version of ROW 2015 maps, which I've since successfully updated to ROW 2016.

Is it possible that it was at this time they changed from an SD card to a Voice Activation code for Voice Command. I think that the part number 5G0.054.802 is the same regardless of whether you have an SD card or activation code.

Am I over-reacting or should I just see whether the Activation Code will work on my MY15 MIB1?

prn31
25-02-2016, 10:06 PM
So I got my local dealer (not the selling dealer) to activate my Voice Control using the Activation Code. This was free of charge because it was optioned with my car when we bought it. The no-charge invoice actually mentions 'install SD card', but as it is the same part number then I guess it makes sense.

I waited over an hour. I didn't ask any details about how it was done, so I presume the Activation Code worked. I guess the selling dealer would have quoted the VIN chassis number when ordering the part, and the Activation Code was correct for the V3 MIB1.

Anyway it does work. But as it is my wife's car I won't get a chance to use it much, but as long as it works for her then it will be worthwhile. It will be interesting to compare it to the Voice Control in the RNS510 in my Passat.

will08caddy
18-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Hi, I have a 2016 highline with the discover media unit...
Has anyone been able to activate the voice operation without paying $418 to a dealer?
Thanks in advance

Eaglehawk
19-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Hi, I have a 2016 highline with the discover media unit...
Has anyone been able to activate the voice operation without paying $418 to a dealer?
Thanks in advance

It needs to talk back to Germany HQ for the activation to happen. If my memory serves me correctly...

DV52
19-05-2016, 04:55 PM
^^^^^ Yep this is true!! There are two scenarios: For older model MIB units, additional VC software was required which the dealer provided via an SD card, but for newer MIB units, Voice Control software was already programmed into the car. In either scenario though, FAZIT was needed to validate the "activation-code" (which was VIN specific). There is also a teak to the control module coding at address hex5F that needs to occur: Byte 24, Bit 1 needs to be set

Don

NSNO
12-10-2016, 02:58 PM
How much luck have people had in getting their dealer to activate this for them free of charge?

I'd like to get it done but not at $400. I have a GTI 40 and would have thought that it should have came standard, as the only options available were colour, sunroof and choice of transmission.

DIDZ
12-10-2016, 03:35 PM
How much luck have people had in getting their dealer to activate this for them free of charge?

I'd like to get it done but not at $400. I have a GTI 40 and would have thought that it should have came standard, as the only options available were colour, sunroof and choice of transmission.
+1

When I was driving I pressed it and got the big F U. Hope when I see VW on the weekend I don't get the same response my car have me

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

dunlopvolleys
30-11-2016, 02:25 PM
+1

When I was driving I pressed it and got the big F U. Hope when I see VW on the weekend I don't get the same response my car have me

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

Same happened here, although I won't pay for it if they want some $$$

Ralfi
30-11-2016, 08:45 PM

You have a GTI40? Forget about VW's crappy Voice control & make use of the much more superior Google Assistant / Siri via App-Connect.

83_SUS
10-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Is there a way I can get the voice control activated on my 2016 R?

prn31
10-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Is there a way I can get the voice control activated on my 2016 R?

Visit your friendly Volkswagen dealer... :-)

You need to purchase Voice Control from Volkswagen - it is an Activation Code that the dealer needs to input.

When purchasing our GTI we made sure we optioned it at no cost - it had to be ordered in from Germany and took a few weeks. I've heard some dealers charge between $250 and $450 for this. You may be lucky if you have a good relationship with your dealer to get if for no charge, but don't count on it.

Harrydhillon
10-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Doesn't that come with android auto or car play ? You can access Siri via the voice control if you r an iPhone user... android auto I am not sure. I had mine activated, very rarely use it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jimmyjamesred
11-12-2016, 05:31 AM
Visit your friendly Volkswagen dealer... :-)

You need to purchase Voice Control from Volkswagen - it is an Activation Code that the dealer needs to input.

When purchasing our GTI we made sure we optioned it at no cost - it had to be ordered in from Germany and took a few weeks. I've heard some dealers charge between $250 and $450 for this. You may be lucky if you have a good relationship with your dealer to get if for no charge, but don't count on it.

Is it any good? Would you pay for it having seen what it's like?

2muchcoffeeman
11-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Voice was included when I went from MIB1 to MiB2/DAB+ and the 8" screen.

FWIW, I wouldn't get too excited about it. I don't use mine and I don't think it's worth paying for..

Carplay/Siri is better.

prn31
11-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Is it any good? Would you pay for it having seen what it's like?

The Golf is my wife's car. She doesn't use it, she prefers to pick up from her 'favourite's on the touch screen. I've used it a couple of times but I think it works better in my Passat which has RNS510 and voice control as a standard feature.

Remember our Golf only has MIB1 so we can't access Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I understand that on MIB2 if you hold down the Voice button it will take you to either of those Apps and their voice commands. So if you have an MY16 Golf or later you probably don't need Voice Control.

jimmyjamesred
12-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Remember our Golf only has MIB1 so we can't access Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I understand that on MIB2 if you hold down the Voice button it will take you to either of those Apps and their voice commands. So if you have an MY16 Golf or later you probably don't need Voice Control.

On my MY17 using Apple CarPlay, if I press the voice button on the steering wheel or the MIB I just get the message to pay for the code from my friendly VW dealer. Siri is great though and can be accessed by simply saying "hey Siri" so not a big deal.

agentthumb
12-12-2016, 07:49 PM
On my MY17 using Apple CarPlay, if I press the voice button on the steering wheel or the MIB I just get the message to pay for the code from my friendly VW dealer. Siri is great though and can be accessed by simply saying "hey Siri" so not a big deal.

Press and hold the voice button while on apple car play.

You are welcome ;)