PDA

View Full Version : brake dust

notflyingscot
08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I thought the days of euro cars with filthy dust laden wheels were in the past. I'm an old fart and drive like one yet my wheels are filthy within hours after a wash. What's the go?
2012 build Elegance TSi in case that's relevant.

Skodameup
08-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I know what you mean. Clean my car for the first time yesterday and when I had a look this evening they already have a fine layer of dust on them!

MGV
08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Ceramic pads are supposed to be the go.

Transporter
08-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I thought the days of euro cars with filthy dust laden wheels were in the past. I'm an old fart and drive like one yet my wheels are filthy within hours after a wash. What's the go?

I use ATE Ceramic brake pads wherever customer wants clean wheels. I mean clean wheels not just a little bit less dust. I've put ceramic pads on both our Tiguans right from new, and even after the 12 months, I don't have to use a sponge or wheel brush to clean the wheels when I wash the car. The detergent sprayed from the Karsher pressure cleaner and than just rinse them off, is more than enough. :)

notflyingscot
08-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. Certainly something to keep in mind when pad change time comes around if I can put up with it that long. Though you wouldn't expect a Scotsman to change pads still with life left on them would you:-)

Lucas_R
10-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Remsa pads (or the others mentioned above) will take away a huge amount of brake dust. I installed Remsa pads on my Golf R in the first week of ownership as i wanted to avoid the brake dust issue of the stock pads.

I can drive for 500km and still have visibly clean wheels with these pads, which would never be possible with the stock pads.

brad
10-09-2013, 03:23 PM

All the Euros are still dusty. I have no idea why you thought those days had gone.

Ceramic pads & a good coating of sealant / wheel wax on your wheels will do wonders.

Keep in mind a lot of the dust is road grime rather than brake dust - at least, it is on my car.

MountainBikeMike
10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I've got remsas waiting to be fitted so ill let you know how they go. Will have to out up with the stocks till then!

QBDentFree
10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
GSL sold me QFM HPX's over Remsas for a low-dust pad. They have only been on a week or so, but much better already that whatever was on there before

MountainBikeMike
10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
-related question

My mechanic wants to charge $60 an end to machine the rotors and another 20 to fit my supplied pads to a Holden crewman. Is this reasonable?

QBDentFree
10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Mike, I pay $30 a pair for machining (trade price), so $60 is probably pretty well on the mark

muv17
10-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I have ate ceramic pads on the golf r they are great no need to clean wheels like the oem pads.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Martin
10-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I paid $50 per end plus GST for brake rotor machining - $110 total

MountainBikeMike
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Ah ok all good then. I read on here once someone said about $25 per end :s I'm selling the car so like everything, it needs to be cheap. Cheers

brad
10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
-related question

My mechanic wants to charge $60 an end to machine the rotors and another 20 to fit my supplied pads to a Holden crewman. Is this reasonable?

Sounds Ok if you just have to drop the car off & it's all done at the end.

If the discs aren't too horrible looking & the pads are soft then just do the pads... or are the pulsing / juddery.

I almost bought a Crewman but the kids sat in the back and started crying and googling for chiropractors. Bought the Skoda instead.

MountainBikeMike
10-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Sounds Ok if you just have to drop the car off & it's all done at the end.

If the discs aren't too horrible looking & the pads are soft then just do the pads... or are the pulsing / juddery.

I almost bought a Crewman but the kids sat in the back and started crying and googling for chiropractors. Bought the Skoda instead.

Its just soft- heavy car... Another workshop told me to machine them but they probly thought they could have my money..

Your wallet will cry more than the kids with a crewman. So slow and so thirsty. Great for treating it like a racecar "as far as utes/commonwhores go" hahahaha.