PDA

View Full Version : Launch control.

Alex31
03-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Is launch control available on the mk7 golf range? And if so how do I do it? Will it affect my warranty? I am getting a TDI Highline so can the diesels do it at all?

Eaglehawk
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Traditionally only available for the GTI and R only. All other DSG boxes just cut the throttle when you touch the brakes :(

Manual is also vague on it's availability for standard models, because they seem to imply it's available, but it mentions the same RPMs, not mentioning if it's for petrol or diesel.

Drift
03-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Traditionally only available for the GTI and R only. All other DSG boxes just cut the throttle when you touch the brakes :(

Manual is also vague on it's availability for standard models, because they seem to imply it's available, but it mentions the same RPMs, not mentioning if it's for petrol or diesel.

If it has it doing the following should work. Select S or M, turn off TCS/ESP and auto hold, apply brake and liberal amount of throttle, release brake and enjoy. You'll know if it works because as the revs will be somewhere around 3k (not sure for diesel) and the clutch will violently engage when you release the brake.

I have too much mechanical sympathy to use it personally. I've given it a shot a few times and it's very violent although I'd expect a FWD would be a little less so.

Eaglehawk
04-09-2013, 07:16 AM
turn off TCS/ESP

This is the part I can't seem to do, no button for that in a Golf Mk7, unless I'm blind?

angelus512
10-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Anybody have any comments on Launch Control and if they have used it? From what I can gather from the American forums all Golf's have launch control.
Supposedly referred to on page 185 of the manual I believe (dont have it infront of me now).

From what I gather its basically just an uber-flame people off the lights mode. I believe all variants of Golf mk7 can use it as well as some variants from earlier gens.

Lucas_R
10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
In a FWD its just an uber way to fry your tyres :). Tried it a few times in my friends GTI (Mk5 GTI) and it just lights the tyres up. Unless you are on a drag strip with some sticky tyres, you would be better off just hitting the GO pedal.

It works well with AWD as the extra grip means no/very little wheelspin, but less so on FWD.

Eaglehawk
10-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm not really confident that it's installed in every Golf model. The instructions in the manual states it takes the revs to 3200rpm. It doesn't differentiate between petrol and diesel engines. Nor could I see a way to "disable TCS" in the car. Happy to be proven wrong, but the go pedal seems to do the trick already.

I must admit, the Mk7 TDI doesn't "launch" as well as my old Mk5 TDI 2.0. Not sure why...

stickshift3000
10-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I seriously doubt that all golf variants have the launch control function, in previous models it was only accessible in the higher power turbo variants.

Lucas_R
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not really confident that it's installed in every Golf model. The instructions in the manual states it takes the revs to 3200rpm. It doesn't differentiate between petrol and diesel engines. Nor could I see a way to "disable TCS" in the car. Happy to be proven wrong, but the go pedal seems to do the trick already.

I must admit, the Mk7 TDI doesn't "launch" as well as my old Mk5 TDI 2.0. Not sure why...

I seriously doubt that all golf variants have the launch control function, in previous models it was only accessible in the higher power turbo variants.

^ this is true also. In the MK6, only the GTi and R models had this feature (i believe it was the same in the MK5 range too). With the ongoing 7 speed DSG (DQ200) issues, even if it did allow launch control, i wouldn't be using it anyway.

pologti18t
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Anybody have any comments on Launch Control and if they have used it? From what I can gather from the American forums all Golf's have launch control.

Yanks dont even have the Golf 7 yet... and most Golfs sold there have a 2.5L I5 engine with a 5 speed manual or a torque converter auto.

angelus512
12-01-2014, 10:17 AM

To Disable TCS/ESC is easy in the Mk7 Golf. Hit CAR button near your screen display, bottom right corner of display select "Settings" and turn of ASR or something like that which should be the first available selection.

Also to clarify earlier it was the Euro forums I guess I got this info from. But from what I had gathered it definitely didn't seem restrictive to only the GTI versions. However it may be disabled in some regions. Anyways its actually on page 179 in our manuals. If I got the page number wrong just look for launch control in the Reference section all the way at the back adn it will tell you the page.

I tried to use it but it didn't seem to work for me but perhaps I was doing it wrong.
Far as I can see its supposed to be straightforward.

Pull over somewhere quiet, turn off ASR/TCS using the menu, turn off auto hold, put car in S, push down on break hard and with the other foot apply gas. It should rev up to 3,000 and hold there until you release break then you will be launched like a bat out of hell.
If however you don't see revs go up as I did then you've either done it wrong or its not enabled.

zoomda
12-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Motor or Wheels magazine claimed that it was disabled on Australian mkvii gti. I'm yet to read/hear from anyone in Aus stating that it does actually work on the MKVII GTI.

Brendan_A
12-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Motor or Wheels magazine claimed that it was disabled on Australian mkvii gti. I'm yet to read/hear from anyone in Aus stating that it does actually work on the MKVII GTI.

It does work on the mk7 GTI.

In the latest Wheels mag they apologized for the incorrect information regarding launch control And indeed it is a feature.

Guy_H
13-01-2014, 09:01 AM
It works fine on my MK7 GTI

tigger73
13-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Maybe the journo couldn't work out how to operate it... And just wrote that it wasn't a feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

zoomda
13-01-2014, 08:28 PM
It does work on the mk7 GTI.

In the latest Wheels mag they apologized for the incorrect information regarding launch control And indeed it is a feature.

That makes a lot more sense.

TTS20
18-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Dont know about golfs but in my TTS put it in sport mode, magnetic ride on, ESP off, left foot on brake, right foot flat to the floor, it automatically goes to correct launch RPM which can vary depending on tune, let off brake and hold on for dear life.. Best done on a safe road with a high speed limit.

kure69
21-01-2014, 07:05 AM
I have been trying this on my golf 7 90 TSI and have had no luck. Can some confirm that this activated on the 90 TSI please.

tigger73
21-01-2014, 07:14 AM
I have been trying this on my golf 7 90 TSI and have had no luck. Can some confirm that this activated on the 90 TSI please.

It may not be a feature on the DQ200. I'm guessing it has been disabled to extend the life of the gearboxes.

hainsey
12-08-2014, 06:36 PM
you can only turn esp partially of in the gti and for the first time completely off in the golf r

i dont believe you can do it in the others.

BFPO40
12-08-2014, 07:52 PM
you can only turn esp partially of in the gti and for the first time completely off in the golf r

i dont believe you can do it in the others.

It's a setting accessed via the infotainment I believe for the non GTI / GTD / R models.

tigger73
12-08-2014, 08:10 PM
One question. Why?

BFPO40
12-08-2014, 09:10 PM
One question. Why?

The thrill, exhilaration, fun. Keep it on the track tough.

tigger73
12-08-2014, 09:46 PM
The thrill, exhilaration, fun. Keep it on the track tough.

The OP has a 110TDI, so my question is why would you want to launch it?

Snail Style
13-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Racing tractors?

tigger73
13-08-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm guessing that because the OP has a diesel with the DQ250 DSG (same DSG as GTI and Golf R) that it may be possible. However almost certain that they wouldn't enable the feature in the DQ200 7 speed.

Eaglehawk
13-08-2014, 09:26 AM
All of the previous Golf TDIs never had launch control, despite having the same gearbox as the GTI. I must admit, the Golf Mk7 TDI doesn't "launch" as well as my old Mk5 TDI, but then I haven't tried to disable the ESP/TC/whatever to see if will return to it's former glory. :)

tigger73
13-08-2014, 12:34 PM
So does the 110TDI have LC?

You could still see if a car is capable of being launched without physically launching it. Go through the steps until you have the car bouncing off the rev limiter at 3,000rpm and then let the revs drop.

Launching typically knocks close to a second off the 0-100 time compared to just putting your foot to the floor.

Though does put extra strain on the drivetrain. On FWD models you may have issues with traction - which is probably better for the drivetrain but worse for tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eaglehawk
13-08-2014, 02:38 PM
3000rpm on a 320Nm turbo diesel? Wouldn't that screw up the clutch?

I don't think the 110TDI has LC. It behaves the same way as most other VW vehicles, touch the brakes, the throttle gets cut.

AdamD
13-08-2014, 06:40 PM
3000rpm on a 320Nm turbo diesel? Wouldn't that screw up the clutch?

Like anything, if you do it to excess it can cause damage, but in moderation, no. There are GTIs and Rs with the same gearbox (and quite possibly the same spec of clutches) packing a whole lot more than 320Nm, that cop launch control regularly. The figure bandied about as a sane limit for the DQ250 (and clutches) is around 550Nm.

Jazrod
18-08-2014, 10:09 PM
This is the part I can't seem to do, no button for that in a Golf Mk7, unless I'm blind?

The Mk7 (other than GTI or R) does NOT have launch control. The DQ200 does not allow it.
I had a 103TSI and it doesn't do it. My Mk7 GTI does.

hainsey
19-08-2014, 08:05 AM
The Mk7 (other than GTI or R) does NOT have launch control. The DQ200 does not allow it.
I had a 103TSI and it doesn't do it. My Mk7 GTI does.

It amazes me how people on here can be told the right thing when they ask, but then continue to argue the point and then another person tells them and they shut up.... We tell you it cannot be done, then it cannot, sell your highline and buy a gti or r if you want launch

tigger73
19-08-2014, 09:33 AM
It amazes me how people on here can be told the right thing when they ask, but then continue to argue the point and then another person tells them and they shut up.... We tell you it cannot be done, then it cannot, sell your highline and buy a gti or r if you want launch

I think the question was whether the TDI's who share the same DSG as the GTI and R also have LC which is a valid question.

I think it's safe to say that the lower power TSIs with 7 speed dry clutch DQ200 don't have it and if they did I probably wouldn't be game to use it anyway.

Velocity_Racing
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes, my MY13 Mk7 Highline TDI does have the launch control mode. Everything needs to be at operating temp, come to a stop, switch off traction control from the car menu on the screen, select sports mode, put your foot on the brake all the way to the floor (ie so it touches the stop) and apply 100% throttle. To launch the car lift off the brake.

It did a 0-100kph of 6.94s measured with a g-tech. Its no supercar but its not bad. The Diesel torque curve is perfect for the launch mode, I think it was 0-50 in 2.7sec or there about.

Brendan_A
02-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes, my MY13 Mk7 Highline TDI does have the launch control mode. Everything needs to be at operating temp, come to a stop, switch off traction control from the car menu on the screen, select sports mode, put your foot on the brake all the way to the floor (ie so it touches the stop) and apply 100% throttle. To launch the car lift off the brake.

It did a 0-100kph of 6.94s measured with a g-tech. Its no supercar but its not bad. The Diesel torque curve is perfect for the launch mode, I think it was 0-50 in 2.7sec or there about.

Don't believe that 0-100 time.

AdamD
02-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Don't believe that 0-100 time.

The G-tech (well, the latest GPS-based models) include a stage feature that only starts the timer once the car has moved a couple of feet. (Apparently this brings results that are more comparable with drag strip timing in the US.) Compared to other devices whose figures we often see quoted (eg V-Box is the most common and generally considered to be the most accurate), the G-tech can often shave off anywhere from 0.25 to 0.75 seconds depending on the launch. Once they're up and running though, the 10Hz chip gives 0.1 second accuracy assuming good satellite coverage.

(I have a G-tech Pro SS Fanatic.)

Brendan_A
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
So his diesel( presume it's stock) is almost as quick as the GTI then?

Dutch77
02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
A stock Mk7 GTI using the USA method of acceleration run timing as outlined by Adam may very well record a time in the 6.0 range.

I suspect a few of the (base) R Tunes quoting sub 4 second acceleration are probably geared towards the USA market and using this methodology as well (and may be calling 0-60 mph a 0-100km/h time as well).

Velocity_Racing
02-09-2014, 06:29 PM
So his diesel( presume it's stock) is almost as quick as the GTI then?

Not almost as quick but not heaps slower either... I'd think that at low say (0-50kph) speeds the TDI would be as quick... Remember it's about torque not power , at high speeds the GTI would obviously be faster as it's got a much wider power band and makes more peak power, but the Diesel makes almost as much torque and makes it low in the rpm range. The TDI still makes 320nm vs the 350nm of the GTI.

Eaglehawk
03-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Is there any indication of launch control being used on the MFD?

I did what you did, and stopped at around 2.5K RPM because of the lack of any sign of LC being used. But now you give me some confidence that at least it's possible...if I'm brave enough to try it :)

tigger73
03-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Rev limiter should be around 3,000rpm as standard. You can take it to that point safely without releasing the brake. Then once you've worked out that the rpm is capped at 3,000 you can take your foot off the accelerator.

But from sounds of things at least some TDIs can do it :)

Velocity_Racing
03-09-2014, 10:06 AM
I had that issue first time trying to do it too, the trick is to really stand on the brake pedal, you have to push it REALLY hard, untill you feel it touch the stop at the end of the pedal travel. When you open the throttle and the car is in launch you should not feel it straining or surging forward etc, it should just be like its revving in neutral. The car also doesn't hold at a constant RPM, but it revs between about 3000 and 3500. Also if you don't do it in the right order it doesn't work either, ie stop the car>TC off>sport>100% brake>100%throttle... if you only do say 85% brake, then try and do 100%brake it doesn't work. When it goes into launch mode you don't have to launch the car, you can just lift off the throttle to stop it.

There are a few videos on Youtube from Germany of it being done in Mk7 TDI's.

Cheers
Lewis

Alex31
13-09-2014, 03:09 PM
It's not possible to do lunch control in a TDI is it?

tigger73
13-09-2014, 03:41 PM
It's not possible to do lunch control in a TDI is it?

TDIs share the same 6 speed DSG as GTI and R. I haven't tried it but I believe they can all do it.

Capital_R
03-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Calling all Mk7 Golf R nutters.

I have a Mk7 Golf R DSG, I've tried using the launch control a couple of times now to get myself familiar and comfortable enough to use it in real time, so I've tried it out just on a remote road where no other traffic is.

From my understanding I believe I'm doing it correctly;

Left foot on the brake
Turn off ESC
Pull into 'S' Sport mode
Rev to 3000-3200 RPM
Release brake and push throttle to the floor simultaneously

The result just leaves me grinning.

but I have a couple of more specific questions;

When you use the launch control are you best to have it set to the 'Race' mode or 'Normal' mode but pulled into the sport position?

When you rev it up to the 3000-3200 rev range should it make a gurgle type noise as opposed to a crisp rev noise as it would if you had it in Park?

Please help! I want to ensure I do this correctly while exercising it's full launch potential.

dtpearson
03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
You don't need to keep it in a rev range, you just flat the accelerator with the brakes held on. The revs will sit at 4000RPM until you release the brake. Then WOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHH!

jonoz
04-02-2015, 07:19 AM
As above, just keep your brake and accelerator planted to the floor and when you want to go (pointed in a safe direction) release the brake.

Generally I will shift to "Race" if launching, not sure what minor increase the DCC extra stiffness will give you but I am sure it is there.

sergioscirocco
04-02-2015, 09:22 AM
capital R perhaps this video will help in the sec 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P89eQfdUVDs#t=28