PDA

View Full Version : Leak in the top of the IP

iain
02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I've been running my 79 golf on biodiesel for about 3000k's now and I've noticed a slow leak on top of the IP. I'm pretty sure its coming from the throttle shaft. It seems to be leaking more now than a couple of weeks ago and I want to fix it.

Is this difficult to fix? Should I replace anything else while I'm at it? I don't want to take the pump off the car - may be beyond my abilities as a DIYer!

I've had no other issues running it on bio - apart from the predictable degradation of the return lines.

cheers!

cetane
17-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Your post and question are a little old now, Iian, and you might have already fixed the problem. But....if you haven't the bit that you need is the bush that the throttle spindle pivots through. Bosch part # is 1 460 324 315 and it costs ~$25 You'll also need a new gasket.

It's easy to replace. Just take the levers off the throttle spindle and remove the screws from the govenor housing. The cover lifts off. Be careful driving out the old bush as it's easy to crack the aluminium of the cover. Support it well before hammering or better still use a press or rig up a bench vice to do the job. It's best to press the new bush in but be sure to use a little "Loctite" to prevent the bush from turning in the cover.

DISCLAIMER
The above is advice freely given however the adviser takes no responsibility for the success or failure of the way in which it is implemented.