PDA

View Full Version : 16V starter motor?

82cab
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Do the 16V engines have a larger starter motor than the 8V's???
Having troubles turning over my motor - it has been recently re-built & I'm wondering if that's the main reason why it's cranking over so slowly. Changed starter motors & it's made no difference, using a truck battery & it barely does the job.

So if anyone knows if the 16V's have a larger starter motor, please let me know.

gtimk5
06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I had that same problem with my racecar. Maybe the deisel starter has more guts. They are larger

imported_brackie
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
The Earth has a lot to answer for! Before you do anything else, check the connection from the neg battery to the engine/gearbox mount. This is always suss so remove and clean both ends. It's better to earth directly to the starter motor bolt if you have a cable long enough. Both of my diesels have double earth cables.

Golfwise
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
The answer is simple.New starter bush in the gearbox.

82cab
07-05-2006, 07:26 AM
thanks for all the advice guys i'll check out the earth and the bush and see how it goes.If not i'll try to grab myself a diesel one. Just want to get it running properly, finish of the exaust and run her in.

syncro
07-05-2006, 07:27 AM
The answer is simple.New starter bush in the gearbox.

Make sure that you let the bush soak in oil overnight before fitting. Whatever you do do not put grease on it.

Edison
10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
82, You haven't said what kind of troubles, can you elaborate ?

Some things to know, if the starter is not turning fast enough, use a battery with a higher CCA rating, (it's not necessarily a larger battery).
make sure the leads aren't frayed, cut and reterminate 'em. buy a new lead (for negative) that has one battery terminal end thingy and one eye at the other end, terminate the eye anywhere on the engine itself that is seriously solid, and run another lead from the engine to the body if you can't see one already.
If it clicks but won't turn then maybe the solenoid and starter need to be pulled cleaned and looked at for wear.

Golf Loon
10-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I put a fat earth wire from the battery earth to the bolt of the starter. That usually helps.

Mk2 starters are more beefy too. I had the same problem with that silver 16v and it starts great with a Mk2 starter now.

Good advice from Edison though.

82cab
11-05-2006, 10:07 AM
thanks for all the help boys but the problem was sorted acouple of days ago. It seemd to be a bad earth. Plus my battery isn't all the best

DOHCDAVE
11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Funny thing that the last 2 wks been disconnecting my batt and having to tap the solenoid to start the car 2 weeks only cause been flat out got five starters in the the rack to pick from. And some nice new earth cable.
though when it starts it's got plenty of curry in the starter to turn over the 16v no worries.

fast loud :twisted: mk1 16v
passat in for repairs
mk1 swollow tail motor out to clean the pelican **** out... :roll: :wink: :lol:

syncro
12-05-2006, 08:55 AM
The 16V really shouldn't be much harder to turn over than a 8V.