PDA

View Full Version : ECU tweaks...

Andypoo
12-08-2013, 02:21 PM
For anyone who has upgraded the ECU on a 1.4TSI (any spec).

Did it make a substantial difference and are you still in VW warranty period?

I'm considering the APR tweak but concerned about engine internals because of the extra boost.

Many thanks.

Transporter
13-08-2013, 07:26 AM
The warranty for the drive train (engine, transmission, axles, even brakes) is affected. All other components of the car should be fine. Any tune is detectable now and flagged in the VAG system against your VIN number.

However many got their cars warranty still honoured by VAG, until now. But, I would expect that to get worst.

I see it as fair, the car is produced with certain amount of kW and warrantied by manufacturer. When you change their product (car) specifications, it's their good will wether they repair it under the warranty or not. Also you may be charged for the cost of putting the car to back to stock, if it'd be needed for testing/diagnosing.

There you have it, it's your decision. Many have tuned their cars and had no problems. To me the risk is small and well worth the end result.

Happy tuning. :)

Ryan_R
14-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Had APR since Dec 2010 and engine is fine. Just look after the DSG by not flooring the car at low revs or up-shifting manually under full load. Also keep in mind the Golf TSI engine mounts aren't as strong as the ones in the Golf GTI (not sure about Polo or Jetta). In short it all comes down to how you drive it, the tune itself won't break anything.

The car is fantastic post-tune though.

neiliss
16-08-2013, 12:39 PM
So after reading up all over the net on this I decided to go for it. I have done the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade. I went to hp.net.au in Brisbane. I popped in and basically around an hour later (they had to remove the ECU to do it) all was done and they were talking me through the programming etc. I have had a limited amount of time since driving with it but you can feel that there is much more urge from the engine.

Incidentally I contacted my insurance first to check with them as that was my main concern and they said there was nothing I needed to do as it wasnt a part change or upgrade just a software update so all was good. As for the dealer they recommended these guys which gave me confidence and said they dont check for ECU updates or anything during service. Of course we all know if something breaks and they find out they will try and blame the ecu upgrade and if it is the case then the warranty will be void but as pointed out by others that is the small risk you take for basically a brand new car.

I will post my thoughts as I go along over the next few weeks including fuel consumption as that was something I have been monitoring over the past couple of months as well.

Cheers
Neil
Jetta 147 2.0 TSi APR Stage 1

Andypoo
16-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks Neil, nice work.

ope126
16-08-2013, 09:55 PM
So after reading up all over the net on this I decided to go for it. I have done the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade. I went to hp.net.au in Brisbane. I popped in and basically around an hour later (they had to remove the ECU to do it) all was done and they were talking me through the programming etc. I have had a limited amount of time since driving with it but you can feel that there is much more urge from the engine.

Incidentally I contacted my insurance first to check with them as that was my main concern and they said there was nothing I needed to do as it wasnt a part change or upgrade just a software update so all was good. As for the dealer they recommended these guys which gave me confidence and said they dont check for ECU updates or anything during service. Of course we all know if something breaks and they find out they will try and blame the ecu upgrade and if it is the case then the warranty will be void but as pointed out by others that is the small risk you take for basically a brand new car.

I will post my thoughts as I go along over the next few weeks including fuel consumption as that was something I have been monitoring over the past couple of months as well.

Cheers
Neil
Jetta 147 2.0 TSi APR Stage 1

So Neil, what economy has the car been averaging already?

neiliss
17-08-2013, 09:24 AM
So Neil, what economy has the car been averaging already?

When I first got my Jetta I was a bit concerned with the fuel consumption (which I have posted on the forum before) so I make a point of watching it but I dont drive the car any differently doing this. In the past I have seen town driving start/stop as high as 23 (yes I know it's crazy) and highway driving from byron back to brizzie as low as 5.9 average at around... the speed limit.

Thus far after just 24 hours and probably being a bit aggressive considering I have just added a tune to the car I have seen no major increase in my current consumption and in fact it actually seems to be using less when stopped at the lights (I think it was 1.3l/hr and is now 1.1-0.9). Around town last night I saw 19 but with a bit of enthusiasm on the drive home soon after I set off, combined with some normal sedate driving and some more aggressive driving, averaged under 10 which was normal.

So I think that what I have read about consumption being better is probably true. What I did find and I think is most important is while with the stock tune if I was using very little fuel and driving very sedately I was not in the power band and had to almost wait for the turbo to spool up to make anything happen which was a bit frustrating and ended up with some erratic driving, now it just seems to be smooth and be there with a bit of throttle feathering I can glide past cars with ease.

So yes so far I am a very happy chap with the mod and considering the price and benefits just wonder why it isn't mandatory like voting (which is actually something we dont like to do but have to).

I will add more on my thread around the fuel consumption when I have had a few weeks of driving and settled down a bit with the right foot if that happens :)

Ciao
N